NFL 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Smalling

Brady is almost certain to break the all-time regular season passing yards record next week, which is of course away to the Patriots. Needs just 68 yards - quite a coincidence. Unfortunately it is a late game, so in the middle of the night here, but would love to see the Brady/Belichick reunion.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
The 4pm games next week are all awesome :drool: Sucks that Brady @ Belichick is SNF indeed.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What happened to Josh Lambo's kicking? He used to be really the only consistently decent part of that team.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Just catching up on the games.

We looked terrible at points against the Saints. I think that puts a real downer on outlook sadly. Defence isn’t clicking as expected yet. Maybe when we get Gilmore back?

Some madness at HT in the Jags game

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

We looked terrible at points against the Saints. I think that puts a real downer on outlook sadly. Defence isn’t clicking as expected yet. Maybe when we get Gilmore back?

I was really annoyed how they approached the game with Mac Jones & running a lot. I get they don’t want to do too much, but in the 3rd quarter down as much as we were, they were playing it so safe it was ridiculous.

I expect Brady to shred the D but Tampa’s D has been poor against the pass so I hope we target them & don’t just settle for safe plays.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Pats looked really bad for most of the game, but there was moment early in the 4th where they forced several 3 and outs in a row with the score 21-13. I really thought the game was in danger for us. We managed to put together one long methodical drive and that essentially killed the game. Took something like 8 minutes off the clock which was far more important than the Hill TD at the end of it.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
And they've played the Giants, the Jags and the Jets. Two rookie QB's and terrible OLs, and a third franchise whose QB is very much on a prove it year. The next 4 or so games with the Ravens, Steelers, Raiders and Browns will be a lot more instructive
Reminds me of the Pats defensive "prowess" a couple years back when they hadn't played any offense/team worth a damn in the first half of the season yet analysts were claiming them amongst the greatest defenses ever statistically.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
Reminds me of the Pats defensive "prowess" a couple years back when they hadn't played any offense/team worth a damn in the first half of the season yet analysts were claiming them amongst the greatest defenses ever statistically.
Personally think what the Raiders have done, being the first NFL team to beat 3 teams that got over 10 wins in the previous season in the first three games, is more impressive... but then I'm a Raiders fan so I would say that. The Broncos obviously have a good D, and two gloves is definitely a better QB than Lock, but we'll see what happens against Lamar, Carr and Mayfield in the next few weeks.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Adding to an already promising defense, what a trade for the Panthers.

RoadTrip

I was really annoyed how they approached the game with Mac Jones & running a lot. I get they don’t want to do too much, but in the 3rd quarter down as much as we were, they were playing it so safe it was ridiculous.

I expect Brady to shred the D but Tampa’s D has been poor against the pass so I hope we target them & don’t just settle for safe plays.
Agreed entirely.

Mac looked good in pre-season throwing, and yes it was pre-season but since the season real started we’ve totally gone away from it. I expected us to still be run focussed, but I also thought we would mix it in with some good short and mid pass plays. But we’ve been far too conservative as you say. In some ways, I get that we wanted to go with Mac who is the future and Get him snaps to develop, but if we were going to play like this and really not trust Mac at all, we might as well have sat him for a bit and let him learn behind Cam - whose style suits this offence If we run it like this.

Tampa will crush us sadly, but even more so if we try to run to this extent.

RoadTrip

Pats looked really bad for most of the game, but there was moment early in the 4th where they forced several 3 and outs in a row with the score 21-13. I really thought the game was in danger for us. We managed to put together one long methodical drive and that essentially killed the game. Took something like 8 minutes off the clock which was far more important than the Hill TD at the end of it.
I think we kept it close in spite of our offensive scheme though. Our defence should be elite and whilst not yet clicking I think we should be capable of forcing 3 and puts against teams in the lead playing conservatively. I think sadly the score line flattered us a bit.

RoadTrip

Personally think what the Raiders have done, being the first NFL team to beat 3 teams that got over 10 wins in the previous season in the first three games, is more impressive... but then I'm a Raiders fan so I would say that. The Broncos obviously have a good D, and two gloves is definitely a better QB than Lock, but we'll see what happens against Lamar, Carr and Mayfield in the next few weeks.
The Broncos do look good but I fully agree with this. The quality of opposition for the Broncos basically couldn’t have been any easier to date.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Only just seen the 4th quarter and OT of the Fins @ Raiders game, great stuff that.

Best start to a season I can remember in terms of close and exciting games, apart from maybe the overkill of penalties.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

Adding to an already promising defense, what a trade for the Panthers.
Could be a master stroke if they end up set at CB. It’s high risk though as CJ has issues in addition to his not staying healthy so far. Maybe a change of scenery will do him good.

Sylar

What's going to happen?
Win division and get to play offs
Win maybe a game.
Then lose to a team who has a defence and packers coaching wondering why, the defense that allows 40+ points and having to rely on Rodgers to sling it across the field in the second half, fell short but won't address it

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Agreed entirely.

Mac looked good in pre-season throwing, and yes it was pre-season but since the season real started we’ve totally gone away from it. I expected us to still be run focussed, but I also thought we would mix it in with some good short and mid pass plays. But we’ve been far too conservative as you say. In some ways, I get that we wanted to go with Mac who is the future and Get him snaps to develop, but if we were going to play like this and really not trust Mac at all, we might as well have sat him for a bit and let him learn behind Cam - whose style suits this offence If we run it like this.

Tampa will crush us sadly, but even more so if we try to run to this extent.
It's not surprising to see a young QB limited to not make mistakes, or as few as possible. In fact, NE did this back in 2001 when some second-year fella took over for an injured Bledsoe. And Belicunt has more than once mentioned how good that young QB looked in 2000 and 2001 preseasons.

RoadTrip

It's not surprising to see a young QB limited to not make mistakes, or as few as possible. In fact, NE did this back in 2001 when some second-year fella took over for an injured Bledsoe. And Belicunt has more than once mentioned how good that young QB looked in 2000 and 2001 preseasons.
I absolutely agree you should keep things simple for young QBs. A poor start can ruin you, no matter how talented. And if you don’t look after your QB, it can be a steep learning curve - just look at Lawrence and Wilson. Having said that, there must be some balance. I think we are being too conservative right now. Not saying we should go mad and let him throw 55 times a game, but we are just not good enough on offence to be so one dimensional.

RoadTrip

They decided to give Big Ben another contract after it was clear last season that he shouldn't have gotten one
Some injuries on defense. They’re impotent without a great D.
They still should have had enough in the tank though to beat this Bengals team. I thought some poor calling, bad drops, and somehow no real pass rush.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
They still should have had enough in the tank though to beat this Bengals team. I thought some poor calling, bad drops, and somehow no real pass rush.
Cincy isn’t chopped liver anymore when they’re getting good QB play to complement their skill position players. Like this guy (shameless self-aggrandizing as I have him in both leagues):

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Colts 0-3. Remember when their GM got so much hype for turning the franchise around . They have ended up doing nothing

sport2793

Cincy isn’t chopped liver anymore when they’re getting good QB play to complement their skill position players. Like this guy (shameless self-aggrandizing as I have him in both leagues):

Don't know if many on here also appreciate that Burrow and Chase were teammates in college too and arguably were the best QB-WR pair of all time in college football. Crazy that the Bengals were able to draft both of them in consecutive years, could be the next Manning-Harrison.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Josh Gordon to the Chiefs, nice. Praying he can hold it together this time.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Can't remember exactly how it unfolded, and yes the Chargers look good, but that was just awful clock management at the end, and just because it worked out this time didn't mean that it wasn't. If you run the clock down and kick the FG from PAT distance you don't even give Mahomes a chance anymore, lot less nerve-wrecking ending if so.

But great game! All AFC West teams looking legit so far.
You did see the kickers PAT attempt though didnt you?

I was watching it confused, like everybody, but then I saw that PAT attempt and thought well perhaps there was good reason to doubt the kicker.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Yeah that was no fun for the eagles.
What's with their running game? I mean there oline is c**p, Hurts is still relatively new in the NFL - and they can't run the football??!?

Status
Not open for further replies.