NFL 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Couldn't disagree more - Watson was exceptional with a terrible coaching staff and average surrounding talent. Allen was a bum for two years. I think he's matured and developed, but need more than one good season if you are locking them up for ten.
Well it’s not just about Allen, I don’t think Watson was clearly better than the others as well. Arguably but not definitely.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Give Lamar time and he can sling it. That work he put into his mechanics looks like it is paying off.

Highest completion % by a QB with 40+ attempts in NFL history.
Its the dimension they've been lacking and now its arrived. Unfortunately, at a time when their defense has turned to crap.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
A lot of hype over Herbert and he has looked really good since he came into the league. But no way I’m picking someone first with 10 wins in his NFL career and no playoff resume whatsoever. If he balls in the postseason this year, I’d move him up.

The playoffs are totally different from the regular season in terms of pressure and expectation. Not saying that any of these guys have been lights out in the playoffs but at least I’ve had a chance to see how some of them deal with those games.
Herbert is 1 for me.

Allen 2

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Eat their words as in, be a starting QB in the NFL and keep winning games, sure. Win an actual ring or let alone create a powerhouse for multiple years, I don't think he's capable of that. But to be honest, I think the doubts were mostly before he entered the NFL? You'd have to have your hand in the sand if you still think he's not a capable starter.

I might have him first too yeah, but I certainly don't think it's clear-cut. Allen has been playing out of his mind since the start of last year.

Then again, Watson had to cope with BOB as his HC.
Lamar’s much more than a capable starter. Daniel Jones is a capable starter. Lamar is a former league MVP, one of the biggest stars in the league and has won more games than all the other young QBs except Mahomes (and Dak but he’s a bit older).

entropy

So you're saying the Giants or Browns didn't draw up plays for him or Eli or Baker haven't targeted him more than not, or least made him their first read?

He runs routes extremely well, which allows him to get expanded targets and plays tailor for him.

For how much he's getting paid, he's underperformed and I don't think it can be all directed at Mayfield...don't think he's that good, but still. Eli was bad during his last few years, but he wasn't some journeyman QB slinging it to OBJ during his best seasons.
It’s a bit of both. Robin summed it up really well. I think OBJ gets a bad rap because he was constantly targeted by the NY media for no fault of his own. Eli was terrible during his later years and he was right to complain about the play calling. Mayfield is a just terrible QB. Just look at how many weapons he has and still cannot connect with a single one of them.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Lamar’s much more than a capable starter. Daniel Jones is a capable starter. Lamar is a former league MVP, one of the biggest stars in the league and has won more games than all the other young QBs except Mahomes (and Dak but he’s a bit older).
Agree on Lamar but gonna have to disagree with the bolded bit - Giants are going nowhere with Judge, Gettleman and Daniel Jones as their starting QB imo.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Well he won the SB with Dungy’s team and did nowt afterwards the first time round. And he’s been mediocre since he came back.
Not this again. He revamped much of the offense with some key free agent signings. He wasn't allowed to do anything on the defense, ownership told him so & Monte Kiffin was basically a co-head coach. He did win with Dungy's defense, but Gruden played a large part in winning the Super Bowl, there's no doubt about that.

Now, longer term? He was mediocre.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not this again. He revamped much of the offense with some key free agent signings. He wasn't allowed to do anything on the defense, ownership told him so & Monte Kiffin was basically a co-head coach. He did win with Dungy's defense, but Gruden played a large part in winning the Super Bowl, there's no doubt about that.

Yeah he deserves a lot of credit for the SB win. He looked like he may get there with the Raiders in the preceding two years, so winning it with the Bucs wasn't exactly a surprise when it happened.

Marty1968

Anyone have some futures bets for the season? Mine are doing ok at the moment, just need the Chiefs to start turning a corner on the division winner accas.

Got Garrett DPOY and Parsons DROY as a 50/1 double. Both current favourites.

Got Garrett DPOY and Parsons DROY and Mac Jones as OROY as a 175/1 treble. All 3 current favourites.

Then Jets/Eagles under 6.5 and Texans/Lions under 4.5 wins @ 10/1

Only one not looking great is Chargers/Cowboys/Pats all over 9.5 wins @15/2. Pats are a bad side although may get to 8 or 9.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

Well yeah, let’s look at what he did since then, after winning with Dungy’s team (and I’m going to call it that, because what was the exceptional side of the ball in that team? The offense or the defense?):

45-51 with Tampa Bay
22-31 with the Raiders
0 playoff wins in 10 seasons

Mediocre indeed.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Well yeah, let’s look at what he did since then, after winning with Dungy’s team (and I’m going to call it that, because what was the exceptional side of the ball in that team? The offense or the defense?):

45-51 with Tampa Bay
22-31 with the Raiders
0 playoff wins in 10 seasons

Mediocre indeed.
Except the Bucs never had the #1 Defense in the NFL in Dungy's 5 years there, whereas they did after Gruden's arrival. They also had the #4 defense the following year under Gruden. He also led the Raiders to the AFC championship game in 2000 and was on his way back if not for the tuck rule game in 2001. Obviously things went south after his first few years in Tampa, but he has demonstrated that he can win with multiple teams, which is why he was lured back by the Raiders.

edcunited1878

He literallly could’ve had 200 yards and a few TDs last week when Mayfield was awful and constantly missing him.

Swap OBJ and Adams in terms of situation and QB play and we’re not even having this discussion. He’s a 99th percentile athlete and an absolutely amazing receiver (who hopefully gets out of Cleveland as soon as possible yes). He's just not being used or used as a decoy for the entire offense - even this week Mayfield threw for over 350 yards and Beckham had 2 receptions for 20.

It's one thing to say that he's not worth the money he's being paid because he can't seem to stay healthy the last few seasons, but weird to say he's overrated because of that. The caveat for NFL players is always "if he's on the field". CMC isn't suddenly overrated because he missed last season and a good portion of this, is he?
CMC missed last season and a few games this year, yet he's been very productive. And he hasn't had massive injuries that have caused him to miss every other year like OBJ. When he's healthy, CMC plays like CMC.

If OBJ doesn't like his situation, he'll find a way to get out. His contract is a bit of an anchor, but if he's as elite as many people still believe he is, then he will not have a shortage of suitors. Then let's see if he's the ultimate weapon or just another weapon for an offense.

I think he's overrated, a good one to very good, but not elite anymore after his first 3 years in the league.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
In a way it comes godsend to Mark Davis since Gruden was never going to win a playoff game in his career again. Now he resigns and Davis doesn't have to eat the rest of that contract.

The most interesting thing for me is that only Gruden's mails surfaced. You don't think nasty weasels like Washington team owner Snyder has said much, much worse? Why are only Gruden's mails surfacing?
Each pro league front office apparatus controls these things I'd imagine. And those with the money and the power control dissemination of information and whatnot. Like Kraft in the handjob scandal and how the league clearly covered up the Pats obvious game-taping in the early SB days - no doubt there was likely film on the Rams practice session and imagine playing public relations over something that huge, a potential stolen league championship. Would have pissed off fans, sponsors, and the gambling industry. It's easier to can a head coach or player but getting rid of an owner is a different animal, and not many can afford 2-5 billion to purchase a club.

MrMarcello

Well he won the SB with Dungy’s team and did nowt afterwards the first time round. And he’s been mediocre since he came back.
He's just a more rounded, more attractive, younger version of Switzer minus the college football success. Both won SBs off others' legacies but one managed to stay in the limelight post-NFL and later con an owner into more millions.

MrMarcello

Except the Bucs never had the #1 Defense in the NFL in Dungy's 5 years there, whereas they did after Gruden's arrival. They also had the #4 defense the following year under Gruden. He also led the Raiders to the AFC championship game in 2000 and was on his way back if not for the tuck rule game in 2001. Obviously things went south after his first few years in Tampa, but he has demonstrated that he can win with multiple teams, which is why he was lured back by the Raiders.
They'd likely have choked at Pittsburgh. Why did he leave Oakland? Big money offer from Tampa? Something else?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
He's just a more rounded, more attractive, younger version of Switzer minus the college football success. Both won SBs off others' legacies but one managed to stay in the limelight post-NFL and later con an owner into more millions.
Haha. In fairness to Gruden (don’t know why I’m being fair to that doofus but still…), the Bucs were not already SB winners when Gruden took them over. But like Switzer, he did have his greatest success in the NFL on the back of someone else’s work.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
In a way it comes godsend to Mark Davis since Gruden was never going to win a playoff game in his career again. Now he resigns and Davis doesn't have to eat the rest of that contract.

The most interesting thing for me is that only Gruden's mails surfaced. You don't think nasty weasels like Washington team owner Snyder has said much, much worse? Why are only Gruden's mails surfacing?
It’s a good question TBF

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Agree on Lamar but gonna have to disagree with the bolded bit - Giants are going nowhere with Judge, Gettleman and Daniel Jones as their starting QB imo.
Fair enough. I was just trying to think of an average player that’s a starting QB.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Colts should've won that game. That fumble from Lamar Jackson which was returned for the cancelled touchdown should've stood. It was a backwards pass from the Colts player to his teammate.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Anyone else play against Lamar Jackson in fantasy last night and went to bed thinking you’ve won? Fecking hell, 54.3 points :lol:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Not sure anyone is surprised that the entirety of the league - owners/coaches/players/media - are all scumbags.

DavelinaJolie

I'm not generally interested in the hyperbole around Lamar (and I'm a Ravens fan) because people seem to keep putting up barriers for him, he's a running back, can't win with his arm, can't win from behind, can't win in the playoffs, he's been found out... The goalposts keep moving for him and it's pretty shitty to be honest. Herbert is being anointed right now, and he could well continue on and be an excellent quarterback, but you don't hear everyone saying he can't do this and that. The next time the Ravens lose, a bunch of people will come out with "I told you so"s and "he's been found out" again. That's just how it is.

I'm just enjoying watching an excellent player doing wild things. As a Ravens fan that watched Elvis Grbac, Chris Redman, Kyle Boller, Troy Smith, a broken down Steve McNair, Joe Flacco (superbowl run aside) play QB for this team, it's just great fun watching him. Naturally I hope he wins a Superbowl, I hope he wins it every year for the next decade, but it's a tough league with a lot of really good teams and some amazing QBs. So I'm just excited that the Ravens have a crazy fun offense to watch.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I'm not generally interested in the hyperbole around Lamar (and I'm a Ravens fan) because people seem to keep putting up barriers for him, he's a running back, can't win with his arm, can't win from behind, can't win in the playoffs, he's been found out... The goalposts keep moving for him and it's pretty shitty to be honest. Herbert is being anointed right now, and he could well continue on and be an excellent quarterback, but you don't hear everyone saying he can't do this and that. The next time the Ravens lose, a bunch of people will come out with "I told you so"s and "he's been found out" again. That's just how it is.

I'm just enjoying watching an excellent player doing wild things. As a Ravens fan that watched Elvis Grbac, Chris Redman, Kyle Boller, Troy Smith, a broken down Steve McNair, Joe Flacco (superbowl run aside) play QB for this team, it's just great fun watching him. Naturally I hope he wins a Superbowl, I hope he wins it every year for the next decade, but it's a tough league with a lot of really good teams and some amazing QBs. So I'm just excited that the Ravens have a crazy fun offense to watch.
Agree 100% and I’m not a Ravens fan. I just think with Lamar, there’s so many people in the media that want him to fail because the more successful he is, the more it proves that they don’t know what they’re talking about.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I think most of the complaints on Lamar in the past are his inconsistencies throwing the ball. I think he’s come on massively in that regard this season. His mechanics look a lot cleaner.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

Earlier this year there was a discussion about Lamar and his passing ability and I was very much of the view that his passing ability is underrated. Having said that; outside of Herbert who is a golden child for some reason of the media compared to any of the other young QBs, this makes it sound like some of the criticism levelled at Lamar is unjustified.

I think some of it is unjustified. But I don’t necessarily think it’s irrational. And it’s hard to argue Lamar doesn’t get his credit especially when he has won MVP, which means he is recognised.

I think the view he can’t pass is the one I particularly disagree with.

However, he has thus far struggled in the play offs, for whatever reason. And that’s a criticism that has been levelled on many QBs who’s performances in the post season haven’t matched their regular season performances. So I think that’s fair.

He has historically struggled against the better teams. But he overcame that Kansas bug this year and so I think that one is slowly dissipating.

And anyone who says he is just a running back or can’t win from behind or any of that nonsense isn’t really worth the time, but then, I personally haven’t seen that opinion all that frequently.

I think there were reasons to question him. But over time he’s answering these questions. Doesn’t mean one was wrong to wonder before, but just have been answered.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Earlier this year there was a discussion about Lamar and his passing ability and I was very much of the view that his passing ability is underrated. Having said that; outside of Herbert who is a golden child for some reason of the media compared to any of the other young QBs, this makes it sound like some of the criticism levelled at Lamar is unjustified.
I've thought the exact opposite this week - people can't stop talking about Lamar's performance but forget that they had like 3 points midway through the 3th quarter. Herbert put up 47 points on the Browns with a very similar statline as Lamar yet I've seen Lamar catapulted to the top of the MVP rankings while Herbert's incredible performance has mainly gone under the radar after the Ravens game.

RoadTrip

I've thought the exact opposite this week - people can't stop talking about Lamar's performance but forget that they had like 3 points midway through the 3th quarter. Herbert put up 47 points on the Browns with a very similar statline as Lamar yet I've seen Lamar catapulted to the top of the MVP rankings while Herbert's incredible performance has mainly gone under the radar after the Ravens game.
Maybe that’s just this week. Herbert has been raved about for a while. Lamar typically goes up and down significantly andfrequently.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Honestly sounds like a great guy.

RoadTrip

I think the comment about realising that there is so much more in common with the people those emails referred to in the emails than not is very resonating. People spend a lot of time talking about the differences between people but actually if you spend a moment to realise how much all people have in common, regardless or race, gender, sexual orientation, or whatever, it’s striking. But yet no one really thinks that way. Which is why I found that trail of thought quite powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.