NFL 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
While there is some truth to what you’re saying, there are different vibes to cities. Different concerts, events, ‘scenes’ that you might be into.

Cleveland is definitely in a lower tier of glamour, like with OKC in the NBA. Continental winters with weather rolling in from the Great Lakes don’t help either.
I agree with that idea but that doesn't mean that there is nothing to do in a particular city. I don't like Paris but it doesn't mean that there is nothing to do, it's just not for me.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
You actually believe people telling you that kind of things, think about the absurdity of that statement. A Metropolitan area that counts +2m inhabitants and there is nothing to do, those people have nothing to do?
Yes.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I find that baffling.
That I believe my friends when they tell me something? Weird that you think that's baffling.

Maybe you discover it's actually a great city once you've lived there, but it's not a city that would be high on my "want to visit" list if I went to the US. Let's not act like Cleveland is some kind of top tier destination for FAs in American sports either. So, therefore my initial question if there are worse NFL cities than Cleveland.

JPRouve

Scout
That I believe my friends when they tell me something? Weird that you think that's baffling.

Maybe you discover it's actually a great city once you've lived there, but it's not a city that would be high on my "want to visit" list if I went to the US. Let's not act like Cleveland is some kind of top tier destination for FAs in American sports either. So, therefore my initial question if there are worse NFL cities than Cleveland.
I'm baffled by the fact that you made it a generalization. I can understand that your friends didn't like it but I can't understand that you turned into a general fact.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I agree with that idea but that doesn't mean that there is nothing to do in a particular city. I don't like Paris but it doesn't mean that there is nothing to do, it's just not for me.
But there’s a huge difference between different types of people - the rich, tourists, would all view cities differently to locals. There’s always things to do but it’d be kinda foolish to assume that all cities are even close to equal for people.

JPRouve

Scout
But there’s a huge difference between different types of people - the rich, tourists, would all view cities differently to locals. There’s always things to do but it’d be kinda foolish to assume that all cities are even close to equal for people.
No one said that two cities were equal though?

RoadTrip

No one said that two cities were equal though?
To be fair, you took a comment made in the very context of comparing different cities and instead focussed on the specific point of “there’s nothing to do” - so the whole debate was actually of your making because the real element of the original post was about comparing cities principally?

Obviously any statement in pure isolation saying there is nothing to do is stupid.

JPRouve

Scout
To be fair, you took a comment made in the very context of comparing different cities and instead focussed on the specific point of “there’s nothing to do” - so the whole debate was actually of your making because the real element of the original post was about comparing cities principally?

Obviously any statement in pure isolation saying there is nothing to do is stupid.
What are you talking about? I actually went with the comparison between cities, the following post was my question to the inital post.
What is wrong with Cleveland? Is it supposed to be worse than Charlotte, Baltimore or Detroit?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

Top drawer signing IMO. Perfect WR2.5 guy, stepping up whilst Godwin is out.
Guys following QBs so they can win, like with Lebron. Not to say that’s what happened with Gregory as Dak is quality and there was some last minute hang up with contractual details, but the DT from SF had better offers elsewhere than to go to Denver.

JPRouve

Scout
Guys following QBs so they can win, like with Lebron. Not to say that’s what happened with Gregory as Dak is quality and there was some last minute hang up with contractual details, but the DT from SF had better offers elsewhere than to go to Denver.
With your secondary, DLinemen should be interested. They will get paid after racking up coverage sacks and pressures.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
it's weird how people think there are only a handful of nice places to live. if you have nfl star money you can be happy anywhere. here's staffords house when he was a lion. calvin johnson still lives in michigan. there's lots of great areas in and near all major cities. it just depends on what the player is looking for and how each criteria factors in. if deshaun watson is looking to (allegedly) commit dozens more sexual assaults then cleveland might not be as appealing as charlotte. other players might see things differently.

JPRouve

Scout
it's weird how people think there are only a handful of nice places to live. if you have nfl star money you can be happy anywhere. here's staffords house when he was a lion. calvin johnson still lives in michigan. there's lots of great areas in and near all major cities. it just depends on what the player is looking for and how each criteria factors in. if deshaun watson is looking to (allegedly) commit dozens more sexual assaults then cleveland might not be as appealing as charlotte. other players might see things differently.

:lol:

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Atlanta has apparently popped into the conversation with Ryan potentially going to Indy.
I was thinking yesterday Matt Ryan to the Colts makes a lot of sense, but then I saw the Falcons had restructured his contract and it didn't seem doable?

That would be a good move though. He's the only QB they could possibly get at this point with the resources they have (i.e. no 1st round pick) that still gives them a chance to compete over the next couple of years.

I can't see the Falcons then going for Watson though, they have way too many holes to give up that kind of capital. They should probably just go in to full rebuild mode already.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I never disputed the bolded part. But there is a reason there are big and small markets, and there's definitely a reason why players would rather join an LA or Miami based franchise than a Cleveland, Portland or Milwaukee one. So yeah, of course it depends on "what the player is looking for", but I don't think you'll find many players who love to be in Cleveland rather than LA when fall comes around.

I'm baffled by the fact that you made it a generalization. I can understand that your friends didn't like it but I can't understand that you turned into a general fact.
Except that I didn't at all.
Nah why would you install a no-trade clause and then agree to get traded to fecking Cleveland? Are there actually worse NFL cities? Green Bay and Cincinnati perhaps? Buffalo?
All of those sentences are questions. Then when you asked what's wrong with Cleveland I told you first of all that I myself don't know, but that I heard from multiple people who have been there that there's not much to do and see there. Again, anecdotal evidence, so I didn't even state it as a fact or made it a generalization.

And even apart from that, it is a fact that free agents across major American sports rather join big market teams and that Cleveland is not one of those.

JPRouve

Scout
I never disputed the bolded part. But there is a reason there are big and small markets, and there's definitely a reason why players would rather join an LA or Miami based franchise than a Cleveland, Portland or Milwaukee one. So yeah, of course it depends on "what the player is looking for", but I don't think you'll find many players who love to be in Cleveland rather than LA when fall comes around.

Except that I didn't at all.

All of those sentences are questions. Then when you asked what's wrong with Cleveland I told you first of all that I myself don't know, but that I heard from multiple people who have been there that there's not much to do and see there. Again, anecdotal evidence, so I didn't even state it as a fact or made it a generalization.

And even apart from that, it is a fact that free agents across major American sports rather join big market teams and that Cleveland is not one of those.
Then it's a misunderstanding because your second question seems to be rhetorical. It reads like you established that Cleveland was the worst city. My bad.

As for big and small markets, it is mainly based on the size of the media market which is linked to the population and not about the attractiveness of the city itself. The other thing regarding certain states is that for example Texas and Florida have tax systems that can be advantageous for athletes.

As an aside Miami isn't a large market whether we talk about the NBA or the NFL, it's a medium size TV market and marginally larger than Cleveland.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Good signing to fill a glaring need…

e - only had to part with a 5th. round pick.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

Then it's a misunderstanding because your second question seems to be rhetorical. It reads like you established that Cleveland was the worst city. My bad.

As for big and small markets, it is mainly based on the size of the media market which is linked to the population and not about the attractiveness of the city itself. The other thing regarding certain states is that for example Texas and Florida have tax systems that can be advantageous for athletes.

As an aside Miami isn't a large market whether we talk about the NBA or the NFL, it's a medium size TV market and marginally larger than Cleveland.
Seems to broadly align to population rather than “glamour” which makes sense

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
However glamorous you consider Cleveland, I don’t think Baker will be there for the long term. Sounds like he and management had a heart to heart. He’s a lame duck at best.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
This is the only sport I care about.
Even with Liverpool still competing, it's crazy how much I crave some NFL action.

At least free agency has been fun so far. And the draft is only a good month away.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Even with Liverpool still competing, it's crazy how much I crave some NFL action.

At least free agency has been fun so far. And the draft is only a good month away.
Jokes aside I’ve massively lost interest in football in recent years, I just don’t like the way the game is this days.

I barely follow the news, don’t want any games other than United and have even missed a few of those this season and not really be arsed.

But NFL I check for updates daily and can’t consume enough news. I just love it.

RoadTrip

Jokes aside I’ve massively lost interest in football in recent years, I just don’t like the way the game is this days.

I barely follow the news, don’t want any games other than United and have even missed a few of those this season and not really be arsed.

But NFL I check for updates daily and can’t consume enough news. I just love it.
Where I’m at too.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy

Scarily the same. I get called a glory supporter, only interested when my team is winning, but I just can't relate to any of the teams now. Gimme some NFL any day of the week

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Scarily the same. I get called a glory supporter, only interested when my team is winning, but I just can't relate to any of the teams now. Gimme some NFL any day of the week
Yea the glory supporter accusation is a lazy narrative, football has just become a bit of a shitshow.

Also I’m a Broncos fan, after the last 6 years I don’t think anyone could call me a glory supporter :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.