NFL 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Over/under the entire broadcast to be 3 hours 34 minutes from national anthem until 00:00. I'm taking the over.
How'd you do on this particular bet? I actually hit the stop watch on my phone when the NA started, but fell asleep in the fourth quarter. Hope it was fruitful for you.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
If they're considering Mayfield they might as well save the money and go with Trask.
Literally my first thought. Thankfully, we are gonna eat the majority of Brady's $35 million this coming year (around $24 million), so I'd be surprised if we went for someone like Baker. Brissett is being talked about as well, he would be a bit cheaper, but why not go with Trask? It'd be a potential write off season, but at least we could address a couple of other issues without being saddled with another QB contract.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I’m glad the Chiefs won but that call ruined the ending. Also after listening to Kelce why does every player on every team in American sports think they never get respect and that” no one believed in them” even though they have the best player.
It's a motivational tool. Clearly it works

lsd

The Oracle
It's a motivational tool. Clearly it works

I think they were annoyed Eagles were favourites to win.

You can see their point considering what they have achieved and coming out of the AFC to what the Eagles did this season with their schedule and luck in the playoffs.

I would have put them favourites but the Eagles did play better than I thought they would and Hurts was immense

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I think they were annoyed Eagles were favourites to win.

You can see their point considering what they have achieved and coming out of the AFC to what the Eagles did this season with their schedule and luck in the playoffs.

I would have put them favourites but the Eagles did play better than I thought they would and Hurts was immense
I think the favourites thing was based on the Eagles roster which was deemed to be better. I think the vast majority of the media picked the Eagles to win which surprised me because event though the Eagles had arguably more player depth, the Chiefs had much more experience on their coaching staff, not just with Reid but also Spagnuolo and even Nagy and Bienemy. Historically, when you have an age gap that big between head coaches in Super Bowls, the older one almost always wins (most recent example is Belichick v McVay). I thought the media picks would be more even because of that.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I think the favourites thing was based on the Eagles roster which was deemed to be better. I think the vast majority of the media picked the Eagles to win which surprised me because event though the Eagles had arguably more player depth, the Chiefs had much more experience on their coaching staff, not just with Reid but also Spagnuolo and even Nagy and Bienemy. Historically, when you have an age gap that big between head coaches in Super Bowls, the older one almost always wins (most recent example is Belichick v McVay). I thought the media picks would be more even because of that.
That’s a simplistic way of looking at it considering Pederson beat Belichik the last time the Eagles were there . I actually think that based on the actual game last night the line & the eagles favourites tag was actually justified. It was a close game where Eagles had a fumble recovery for a TD and an almost punt return TD

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
That’s a simplistic way of looking at it considering Pederson beat Belichik the last time the Eagles were there . I actually think that based on the actual game last night the line & the eagles favourites tag was actually justified. It was a close game where Eagles had a fumble recovery for a
TD and an almost punt return TD
A) Pederson was much older than Sirianni

B) the line was 1.5, which is a very slight difference. That should have led to more media people picking the Chiefs. The media acted a bit like the Eagles were favoured by 7 or 10 IMO. Easy for the Chiefs to then turn that into 'no one respects us' for their own psychological gain.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Chiefs should've been favorites, I genuinely don't understand how so many people in the media were favouring the Eagles. They had a weak schedule in the regular season and beat an over-performing Giants and a QB-less team in the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, they're an excellent team all-around and it was very close between them and the Chiefs, but if the margins are that close, I'll go with whichever team has the all-time great QB, the better HC and the Super Bowl experience.

I also think if Mahomes doesn't injure his ankle against the Jags and Purdy says healthy against the Eagles that the line would've been something like -1.5 Chiefs instead of what it was.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Between all the missed calls in the conference championships two weeks ago, a holding call on Kupp in the SB last season, the blatant non-PI call on the Saints a few years back in the NFC championship game, ... it's just been too much imo.
There it is again, the Saints excuse. No one moans about the Rams preceding series when Goff's head was nearly yanked off by a blatant facemask that would have given the Rams first and goal at the NO-1, which likely results in a touchdown and a 4-pt Rams lead. Thus, NO's follow-up series is completely changed needing a touchdown or lose. But let's say all plays still unfold and the missed DPI is called, the Saints could not have milked the clock for a GWFGA. They would have a first and goal at the LAR-6 with around 1:45 to play and 2 TOs to use. The Saints may have scored a TD for a 3-pt lead but the Rams likely would have had time to get in range for a tying FG. Conversely, the Rams may have stuffed the Saints and forced a turnover on downs.

I'm all for calling out missed penalties and bad calls but this Rams/Saints game is one that only one-call is ever recognized despite a preceding series no-call had just as much effect on the outcome.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
There it is again, the Saints excuse. No one moans about the Rams preceding series when Goff's head was nearly yanked off by a blatant facemask that would have given the Rams first and goal at the NO-1, which likely results in a touchdown and a 4-pt Rams lead. Thus, NO's follow-up series is completely changed needing a touchdown or lose. But let's say all plays still unfold and the missed DPI is called, the Saints could not have milked the clock for a GWFGA. They would have a first and goal at the LAR-6 with around 1:45 to play and 2 TOs to use. The Saints may have scored a TD for a 3-pt lead but the Rams likely would have had time to get in range for a tying FG. Conversely, the Rams may have stuffed the Saints and forced a turnover on downs.

I'm all for calling out missed penalties and bad calls but this Rams/Saints game is one that only one-call is ever recognized despite a preceding series no-call had just as much effect on the outcome.
I'm not complaining about it influencing the outcome or whatever, I'm saying that such non-calls simply can't happen with as much technology available as in the current NFL. If the Rams also had a non-call, fair enough. I'm just pointing out the Saints one cause that's the one I remember.

EDIT: just looked it up, his hand touched Goff's facemask for half a second and it looks like he didn't even grasp it (or, if he did, barely). "Nearly yanked Goff's head off" is quite the exaggeration. And stuff like that gets missed aaaaaall the time. The DPI was as blatant as you can possibly get.

I just really don't get people who are going "but it WAS a hold" right now. Yeah it was but if you're allowed to be physical as a defender for an entire game with them calling literally nothing, then you have a legitimate expectation that you can continue to play like you have been. It's the incosistency which bugs people - if they had been calling that kind of stuff all game, then a lot less people would complain about it because it just would've been stupid by Bradberry.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
Yeah, like we're resigned to this. Well the normal fans, some are idiots.

This article kinda hits the nail.
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/12/cowboys-roster-building-philosophy-jerry-jones/

Yeah one thing I realised during the Superbowl is just how far behind most teams we are and I know we don't be closing the gap anytime soon.

Bengals and Eagles have shown that given just a year or two you can completely rebuild your team into Superbowl contenders.

However Jerry is never going to get that message and we will just keep on as we are.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Yeah one thing I realised during the Superbowl is just how far behind most teams we are and I know we don't be closing the gap anytime soon.

Bengals and Eagles have shown that given just a year or two you can completely rebuild your team into Superbowl contenders.

However Jerry is never going to get that message and we will just keep on as we are.

Well actually That’s very true . I remember I watched the chiefs bills game last year and thought to myself that it’s depressing that these teams seem to be playing a different sport but then one year later I saw the Eagles offense matching up with the Chiefs so things can progress fast. I don’t think the Cowboys are miles away and it’s just a question of a couple of better decisions.

edcunited1878

How'd you do on this particular bet? I actually hit the stop watch on my phone when the NA started, but fell asleep in the fourth quarter. Hope it was fruitful for you.
It was well over from what I remember! No bet, just an observation. Fewer penalties and clean game meant a better pace. But still a long game as to be expected.

Tiber

Nice. Is it through an app?

I might buy it as well, as my IPTV is using a Canadian stream, so it’s the Fox broadcast but Canadian adverts. Feel like it’s worth 99p for the adverts.
I really need to figure out how to use IPTV

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

There are no words to describe how fecking ridiculous that Mahomes line is tbh :lol:

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

There are no words to describe how fecking ridiculous that Mahomes line is tbh :lol:

Agree the Mahomes line is mad, but the conclusion reached by the poster is a wrong interpretation of what that graph shows.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Agree the Mahomes line is mad, but the conclusion reached by the poster is a wrong interpretation of what that graph shows.
How so? His EPA is highest when win probability is at its lowest - i.e. he plays his best football when his team is in hole, is my interpretation. When they're leading big (>80% win probability) his EPA drops from 0.35 to 0.25.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
How so? His EPA is highest when win probability is at its lowest - i.e. he plays his best football when his team is in hole, is my interpretation. When they're leading big (>80% win probability) his EPA drops from 0.35 to 0.25.
But that’s also why it shows the correlation isn’t as direct as it’s made out. A team deep in the hole is also more likely to be facing a team which is playing conservatively as they don’t need to be aggressive.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Good hire, Steichen has had a great year, though the offense he had was stacked, so it was to be expected. Looks like Eagles QB coach, Brian Johnson, is stepping up to replace him as OC. Jalen Hurts has a lot of praise for him and has known him since he was in high school.

Now they just need to convince someone to take Gannon.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Oh, look at this image on that holding play. Interesting how Fox commentary and all the moaners never saw this shot or image.

They just like to complain. It’s the same everywhere. NBA refs are supposed to be worse than ever. NFL refs are supposed to be worse than ever. Bundesliga refs are supposed to be worse than ever. Premier League refs are supposed to be worse than ever and so on and on. It’s got to the point where I’ve stopped to take these discussions seriously at all. Fans need to grow up and accept that people make mistakes. And they need to learn to lose. Sometimes your team just screws up.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Well that’s not the point though. Are you genuinely suggesting that this was the first play in the whole of the superbowl on offence or defence where there was holding ? Was this holding yes probably but they had let everything go all night and mahomes pass was nowhere near the receiver

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
They just like to complain. It’s the same everywhere. NBA refs are supposed to be worse than ever. NFL refs are supposed to be worse than ever. Bundesliga refs are supposed to be worse than ever. Premier League refs are supposed to be worse than ever and so on and on. It’s got to the point where I’ve stopped to take these discussions seriously at all. Fans need to grow up and accept that people make mistakes. And they need to learn to lose. Sometimes your team just screws up.
You would have been right if a lot of the annoyance for the call hadn’t come from neutrals who had no interest in who won the game

HTG

Supports
Bayern
You would have been right if a lot of the annoyance for the call hadn’t come from neutrals who had no interest in who won the game
Just get over it. Really. There’s nothing to it. The decision was correct. And even if it hadn’t been, just move on. People make mistakes. It happens. It’s an imperfect game.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Just get over it. Really. There’s nothing to it. The decision was correct. And even if it hadn’t been, just move on. People make mistakes. It happens. It’s an imperfect game.
This. I still think back to Jan 1995 when Deion clearly interfered with Irvin in what would have been a deep pass play inside the SF-10. If the penalty is called it's an automatic first and goal around the SF-5/6. Dallas was moving the ball at will for most of the second half and probably cuts the score to 38-35 with 5 minutes to play, or to 38-31 at minimum barring a turnover. That particularly play may have ultimately prevented an eventual four-peat for Dallas.

Who knows what happens from there. At some point you just have to move on. It sucks but it happens.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I think the yellow flag was harsh but the guy tugged JuJu once and then went in for another a second later. If you're ever going to call a soft holding penalty it will be when there's more than one hold on the same play by a defender. Despite the pass being uncatchable the refs can't be sure that the receiver could not have caught it after those 2 tugs within a second.

Last edited:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
What a hilarious thing to say considering I or an Eagles fan didn’t come here today to post about it while you are the one preaching us. It’s easy for others to say get over it but it’s the superbowl so of course people will be pissed about it

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Not sure what you're getting at. Defensive holding is applied when the defender holds/grabs/whatever the opposing receiver before the pass. It becomes pass interference thereafter. Yeah, late flags occur but thems the breaks.
I am saying that what you are quoting is the actual law but in reality the refs do consider how the play went a lot of times. While uncatchable is for pass interference there are a lot of times they let go things go if they feel it wouldn’t have made a difference even without the holding

Status
Not open for further replies.