NFL 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
For horrendous drafts, see Dallas 1995 ("the backups draft") and 2009. The 2009 debacle ranks tied for 13th in the article below, while the 1995 shitfest somehow managed to just miss out on this list with a combined AV of 43, including wasting a 96 third rd selection to take a 20-yr old JUCO project in Darren Benson - no other club was using that high a future year pick on Benson, easily could have snagged him for a 5th/6th/7th.

ESPN had a look in 2017. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19092546/stacking-worst-classes-nfl-draft-history

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
For horrendous drafts, see Dallas 1995 ("the backups draft") and 2009. The 2009 debacle ranks tied for 13th in the article below, while the 1995 shitfest somehow managed to just miss out on this list with a combined AV of 43, including wasting a 96 third rd selection to take a 20-yr old JUCO project in Darren Benson - no other club was using that high a future year pick on Benson, easily could have snagged him for a 5th/6th/7th.

ESPN had a look in 2017. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19092546/stacking-worst-classes-nfl-draft-history
All of these are way before my NFL time to be honest, except a very few closeish to when I started following the sport. So hard to relate to for me at least!

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Sony Michel to the Chargers. Drake has signed with the Ravens. And Jalen Reagor traded to the Vikings of all teams :D

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Life comes at you fast in the NFL.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Sony Michel to the Chargers. Drake has signed with the Ravens. And Jalen Reagor traded to the Vikings of all teams :D
What’s happened with Sony? I thought he was pretty decent for us, yet he seems to have bounced around and not really got a shot anywhere since. Strange.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
All of these are way before my NFL time to be honest, except a very few closeish to when I started following the sport. So hard to relate to for me at least!
Please allow me to rant a bit.

I've been following the NFL since age 10-ish, so around 1985/86 while residing in the Fort Worth area to the west of Dallas. I first got into the draft around 1994 but I vividly recall the Cowboys 1995 draft day nonsense. Jerry and fellow roster destroyer Larry Lacewell determined the starting lineup was so strong that they only needed backups and special teams players, not starters. This defies the entire premise of the draft - find talent that can start immediately or will develop into starters to replace aging players, injured players, and in the cap era for obvious additional reasons. By that "draft backups/special teamers" reasoning one might as well skip each draft selection they hold and simply sign undrafted free agents and other scrubs.

Dallas entered the 1995 draft with nine overall selections which I have listed further below by round and pick number. Keep in mind this was the expansion year for Carolina and Jacksonville who were given huge draft capital advantages and league compensatory selections (denoted *) could be traded which was changed the following year, 1996. I'm going off what I vaguely recall from that draft weekend and subsequent grades/reviews along with some probable revisionist history. Would be great if I can find a pre-draft mag or two for further review. Anyhow, on to the Cowboys draft, or lack thereof.

Skipping paragraph spacing to save character limitations, bear with me.
Picks: 1-28 / 2-59 / 2-63* / 3-92 / 4-129* / 4-130* / 5-166* / 5-168* / 7-236
#Previously traded 4-124 during the 1994 draft to acquire pick 6-191 that year.
#Forfeited their fifth-round selection in the 1994 supplement draft, TE John Davis (spent 1994 on practice squad and cut in the next training camp; bounced around NFL camps a while).
#Previously traded 6-198 in 1993 as part of a multi-player deal with Chicago - TE Kelly Blackwell, OLB John Roper^, SS Markus Paul for OLB Barry Minter, ILB Vinson Smith and 1995 future pick (possibly down/upgraded). Blackwell was later cut when the team acquired Price; Paul was almost instantly released and went back to Chicago; Roper was famously known for being cut a week after falling asleep during a special teams meeting in October, demonstrating how Jimmy kept tight organizational control and attention to detail (which went to shit under Switzer and has remained shit outside the Bill Parcells stint).
1-28 – traded to Tampa Bay for 41 and 63; vaguely recall Dallas wanted FS Devin Bush who Atlanta took at 26, so Dallas then traded down and hard to fault for gaining a pick but the Bucs took OLB Derrick Brooks. Dallas had Darrin Smith in the same weakside position, but he was threatening a holdout and later did for 7 games; Smith was a young stud who had been a day one starter and no one probably foresaw Brooks having a HOF career. Ugh.
2-41 – traded to Atlanta for 46 and 110; not a bad move to gain an extra mid-round pick to drop down five spots and I think they were still targeting a safety but also open to a running back. The two safeties I recall being discussed locally were Melvin Johnson and Orlando Thomas, both were drafted before Dallas had the chance at 46, probably resulting in war room panic.
2-46 – RB Sherman Williams, who some rated this high (Kansas City supposedly) while many teams had him more a third-round selection and surely not before Terrell Fletcher, Curtis Martin, and Rodney Thomas on most boards if not all; Terrell Davis was not seen as a first day pick due to injuries and a poor combine. Troy Aikman publicly criticized this selection for drafting a projected career backup in a position they had one of the top players in the league, citing something along the lines of could get a backup RB on the second day, i.e., later rounds. Having lost Alvin Harper and only having a fast midget, Kevin Williams, a project, Cory Fleming, and two developmental types, Tim Daniel and Tyrone Williams, on the roster they needed a starting caliber WR to compliment Michael Irvin, and probably should have drafted Frank Sanders, or possibly Chris Sanders who’s speed would have given Aikman a deep threat. I fully believe Jimmy would have considered/taken Chris T. Jones with his Miami Hurricane connections. They probably could have snagged Sherman or another running back at 59, 63, or 92, even later perhaps. RB Rodney Thomas had the power running style, with speed, the Cowboys offense employed and believe most teams had him rated higher.
2-59 – TE Kendell Watkins - they took a fat body blocking TE. This dude was a 300-pound TE. Read that again. He was rated a second-day selection by everyone, had a bad combine grade, seen as no earlier than fifth-round and he later stated how surprised he was to be selected so high. He provided solid blocking for their power running game but was useless in the passing scheme, and later blew out his knee in July 1996 and never played in another regular season or postseason game. He probably should have been moved to G/OT due to his size and limitations in the passing scheme as a tight end. You do not waste a high pick on a blocking tight end. They should have used the pick to address other needs like WR, LB, DB, OL, DL, etc. Or grabbed a true TE that could eventually replace an aging Jay Novacek with major back concerns, like Pete Mitchell or David Sloan. I'd probably have gone with OLB Brian Williams although ILB Sean Harris was another with high potential I vaguely recall being discussed on the ESPN draftcast. Cannot recall how LB Lorenzo Styles and ILB Stephen Boyd were being rated; Boyd became a stud while Styles turned into mostly a solid special teams guy. Plenty of solid DBs still on the board like FS Chris Hudson, CB Marlon Kerner, CB/FS Daryl Pounds, and an intriguing prospect for some in Rodney Young who had the size and speed to play CB/FS/SS; I read a Giants post-draft review and they rated this guy. CB Jimmy Hitchcock had dropped further down but unsure why and may have been worth selection based on potential. Another intriguing prospect was DE Greg Jefferson how displayed explosiveness in the pass rush and had risen up the draft boards; Dallas was suspect on DE Shante Carver’s laziness and apparent overrated draft stock from 1994 and he later turned out to have an alcohol problem. But Jefferson would eventually struggle with injury and inconsistent play.
2-63 – G Shane Hannah - this guy was rated as far down a free agent rookie by many teams. He also stated he didn't expect his name called at all during the draft unless in the seventh round. His combine grade was horrendous and didn't come close to some of his higher rated peers. If you're taking an OL-man here why not take the highest rated remaining player on the board in G Brenden Stai? Or take that power blocking TE/OL combo here in Melvin Tuten, also rated much higher than Watkins. OT Tony Berti had a high draft grade but cannot recall why he dropped so far, perhaps something after the combine. They could have selected C Dave Wohlabaugh (NE traded up to 4-112 to draft him) or Frank Garcia (also could play guard) and solidified the center position going forward knowing Ray Donaldson was 37 and likely on a one-year rental contract. I think Wohlabaugh was rated a third/fourth-round and Garcia a second-day selection so perhaps a reach at 63 but in hindsight...
3-92 – DB Charlie Williams – played multiple positions at Bowling Green and most scouts had him as a free agent rookie who would only develop to special teams level. Yet Jerry and Larry rated this guy’s special teams abilities as worth a third round selection. Feck me. If you’re taking a DB here why not go with CB Ken Irvin, or SS Ray McElroy, or SS Sam Shade, or FS/CB Jerry Wilson? Guys rated as third round selections but had dropped to this spot (all later selected in the fourth round) and could do the same special teams job while having potential starter upside. If not DB, look at some of the DL studs available – DT Oliver Gibson (rated higher) and DT Gary Walker (rated lower but become a stud), while guys like DE Dameain Jeffries and DT Mike Thompson had dropped a bit further than projected though neither did much of anything in the league. Forgivable selections over feckin’ Special Teams Charlie at 93.
4-110 – TE Eric Bjornson – played WR at Washington, just like Novacek at Wyoming, and had a similar build and profile to the Cowboys legendary TE. Hard to argue against such thinking although Pete Mitchell was still on the board and was a more polished receiver who could contribute in the passing game from day one. Another intriguing prospect was Jamie Asher who some had marked down as a hybrid FB/TE which would become known as the H-back. But Bjornson was great on special teams and was his college team’s holder on kicks, Jerry and Larry were sold. Special teams rules! Bjornson did develop into a tidy backup TE who did become a temporary starter in 1996, by default. Fat body Watkins blew out his knee and Novacek crocked his back, missed the entire season, and retired in 1997 forcing the club to panic draft David LaFleur (some had Freddie Jones rated higher but Aikman and Jerry loved LaFleur's size) who took over starting duties from Bjornson late in the 1997 season. Both were shit starters though in fairness LaFleur was good in the red zone and injuries and resulting lack of confidence did ruin what might have been for him.
4-129 – CB Alundis Brice – I did not mind this pick then nor in hindsight. Brice was rated much higher but had suffered a gunshot to the chest after the college season had ended and nearly died, missing the combine and affecting his draft stock. He had speed and good coverage skills and was on his way to being a serviceable backup corner until blowing out his knee late in 1996, and then fecking it up again in 1997 mini-camp. Think he later sued the club over the coaches and medical staff rushing him back to action too fast.
4-130 – OLB Linc Harden – Had a great combine and individual workouts for Dallas, who selected him based on his probable special teams contributions. That was the reason given. Not that he could develop into a solid backup capable of playing defense, let alone become a starter. But, at 130 can I fault them for taking this guy? It’s a crapshoot on the second day. That said, LBs like Boyd and John Holacek were still on the board. Or had they drafted a LB earlier they could have still snagged DT Walker or have drafted any of those aforementioned guys rated as later rounds or undrafted (Hannah, Watkins, ST Charlie). A guy like SS Lethon Flowers would have been worth a selection at 130, even feckin’ FS/CB Lance Brown amongst others.
5-166 – WR Ed Hervey – no one had this guy as a draft pick that I recall, think someone had quipped he wasn’t on their draft list of available players, a total free agent rookie though it’s possible someone other than Dallas may have taken him in round six/seven. He had amazing speed though, ran track at USC but had suffered through injuries in football. So many possibilities here all dependent on previous selections and/or draft philosophy – need areas or best talent available. Can I fault using a late fifth-round selection on a super fast guy? Shrugs. Probably still available in the seventh round IMO.
5-168 – ILB Dana Howard – had been rated lower than actual talent displayed at Illinois, all due to size and speed concerns. Wasn’t a terrible selection at 168 but didn’t make the team out of camp; thereafter claimed by the Rams and played special teams for a year. Basically, he did the same thing for St Louis that Special Teams Charlie did for Dallas but at a cheaper cost.
7-236 – DE Oscar Sturgis – played DT in college but most if not all teams had him moving to DE in the pros. Total crapshoot who may have been a bit higher on other draft boards and thus "best available" perhaps, or a need position, never know with Jerry/Larry thinking. Made the team but played like two games when the likes of Lett (drugs) and Maryland (injury) were out temporarily.
Supp Rd 3 – DT Darren Benson – wtf? A JUCO player aged 20 and forfeiting a future third round pick? Jerry and Larry were dreaming of another Leon Lett, but this time Jimmy wasn’t doing the evaluating. Huge difference there. There’s not a single doubt in my mind Benson would have lasted until the fifth, sixth, or seventh round option. He then cost them an equivalent to what a regular third round pick might earn in compensation. Ugh. He made the roster solely to avoid potentially exposing him to waivers though doubtful anyone claims him and wastes a roster spot on a one/two-year developmental project. Some local beat writers and radio personality types believed Benson only made the squad due to the significant bonus money Jerry paid him, rumored around $250K which was somewhat significant at the time with Dallas under cap constraints (pre-Deion at that). Injuries and inconsistent play ruined whatever potential may have existed in Benson.

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
And a tasty opening fixture, too.
Yeah indeed! I remember it was a Chiefs game last year, I woke up without any alarm at 5am out of pure excitement, then was super disappointed the Game in 40’ wasn’t up yet and couldn’t get back to sleep :lol:

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

Brutal, surely that's one of the worst ones you could possibly imagine.
Painful to look at. We had some real easy picks right in front of us as well like Josh Allen (the Jags one) over Ferrell and Ceedee Lamb over Ruggs and we dropped the ball.

It's just as well we've been pretty good at picking up absolute steals in rounds 3-5 or we'd be terrible.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Painful to look at. We had some real easy picks right in front of us as well like Josh Allen (the Jags one) over Ferrell and Ceedee Lamb over Ruggs and we dropped the ball.

It's just as well we've been pretty good at picking up absolute steals in rounds 3-5 or we'd be terrible.
Still think Jeudy is the most polished and talented one out of that class, let's hope Wilson unlocks his full potential this season.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

What the feck is up with these athletes who can't take anything on Twitter these days :lol:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
So Kennedy Brooks (who I traded for late in fantasy drafts) was partially behind Sermon transferring away from OU and had the highest amount of guaranteed $ for a non-QB UDFA gets cut and they bring in…Sermon.

I can’t even get OU RBs right…I know nothing.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Wow. Just, wow.

I haven’t the capacity to add to that at the moment.
$70 million fecking dollars is a decent chunk of change for a state like Mississippi. Even what Favre received could have opened up something for the common good like a crisis center, etc.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
$70 million fecking dollars is a decent chunk of change for a state like Mississippi. Even what Favre received could have opened up something for the common good like a crisis center, etc.
He got $1.1m I think I read, which is disgusting. Yea ok he’s paid it back but he knew when he received it that he hadn’t done the “work”.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Still think Jeudy is the most polished and talented one out of that class, let's hope Wilson unlocks his full potential this season.
Only if Justin Jefferson didn't exist. :angel:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Only if Justin Jefferson didn't exist. :angel:
Oh wow, thought Jettas was one class later for one reason or another. Yeah it’s definitely JJ right now, although I seem to remember most analysts had Lamb and Jeudy over him as a prospect, but not sure.

I’d argue Higgins and Pittman are also above Jeudy for now. Was confusing two draft classes.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Oh wow, thought Jettas was one class later for one reason or another. Yeah it’s definitely JJ right now, although I seem to remember most analysts had Lamb and Jeudy over him as a prospect, but not sure.

I’d argue Higgins and Pittman are also above Jeudy for now. Was confusing two draft classes.
It's actually an example of botched analysis. Jefferson was the best receiver in college with only Chase being in contention for the first spot. Now the reason Jefferson was knocked down was because analysts focused on the fact that he largely played from the slot during his last college season and decided that he was exclusively a slot player, they invented the idea that he would struggle against press coverage and that he lacked speed.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It's actually an example of botched analysis. Jefferson was the best receiver in college with only Chase being in contention for the first spot. Now the reason Jefferson was knocked down was because analysts focused on the fact that he largely played from the slot during his last college season and decided that he was exclusively a slot player, they invented the idea that he would struggle against press coverage and that he lacked speed.
I wonder if we’ll see a repeat of sorts regarding this with JSN. He became the ‘consensus’ #1 WR after the bowl game and Boutte’s injury, but now there’s talk of him not being a lock for the first half of the 1st round. He’s only been clocked at ~20.5mph, is a slot guy, and is not expected to turn heads at the combine.

One guy to watch and is probably the favorite to push past Njigba to potentially being the second WR after Boutte, who I’d put my money on to be the first drafted, is Quentin Johnston from TCU. He is huge and will blow up the combine.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Foozball being back is something I’ve been jonesing for. The other night I had a dream where I was posting live updates to the Caf from a game where Eli Manning was in uniform for some reason and I remarked a how funny he was in person on the sidelines. Then I was posting pics to show how Saquon and Snoop Conner were ‘as thicc as Bella Brookz‘.

Don’t uh…google that last part. I don’t know how that bit got in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.