NFL 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
How are they still so celebrated? They haven’t won the Superb Owl since the 1995 season ffs.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
History, hype, marketing, merchandising, so forth. They still draw the most revenues each year, nearly double second place New England, and everyone talks about them. They're the most known sports franchise in North America, bigger than the Lakers or Yankees. Very similar to United - a cash cow regardless of performances on the field.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
History, hype, marketing, merchandising, so forth. They still draw the most revenues each year, nearly double second place New England, and everyone talks about them. They're the most known sports franchise in North America, bigger than the Lakers or Yankees. Very similar to United - a cash cow regardless of performances on the field.
Yep.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I almost said they’re the Yankees of the NFL (or dare I say the Man United).

I mean I get all the stuff you’ve said, I just find it weird and I hate the cringy “America’s team” shite.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
How do most of you watch/follow the NFL by the way?

I like to watch alone (even though some of my home league folks get together most Sundays) and just watch RedZone from start to finish. Then re-watch some exciting or interesting games in 40' on Monday or Tuesday. Also watch TNF, SNF and MNF in 40' without knowing the scores but I never watch full games during the regular season.

Is it more of a social thing in the US (or even the UK)? I consider Sunday nights as me-time, just get in front of the TV at 7pm and don't leave the couch until 2am except to open the door for the delivery guy. All whilst checking the NFL Fantasy, ESPN, Fleaflicker and Sleeper apps like a maniac of course.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Watch the Bucs' games in their entirety & catch divisional opponents' games via condensed YouTube highlights.

Same thing I do with United & other top six teams.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I am a bit of an odd ball I suppose, but only one of my close friends watches NFL so I don’t really have much actual discussion about it outside of with him and on this thread. So I pretty much always watch NFL alone. My weekends are usually busy so I rarely catch games live. If it’s a big one I’ll make the effort to do so. But, I don’t watch RedZone. And that’s because I genuinely enjoy watching games and so I watch all games in 40 on game pass each week. It’s why you’ll often not see me in this thread Sun-Tue whilst I catch up on the key games each week at least. With commute to work and having it on in the background I usually can get through 3 or so games in 40 a day and so by Wed I’m through the games I really care about - I’ll still watch the others but I’m not fussed about knowing the score.

It’s very hard to do, avoiding this thread, avoiding news sites, covering the bloody ticker at the bottom of the screen. A part of me often thinks it’d be easier to watch RedZone. But then another part of me thinks that if I do that, I’m out of NFL action for the week and also that I’m not getting my moneys worth out of the game pass app :lol:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I am a bit of an odd ball I suppose, but only one of my close friends watches NFL so I don’t really have much actual discussion about it outside of with him and on this thread. So I pretty much always watch NFL alone. My weekends are usually busy so I rarely catch games live. If it’s a big one I’ll make the effort to do so. But, I don’t watch RedZone. And that’s because I genuinely enjoy watching games and so I watch all games in 40 on game pass each week. It’s why you’ll often not see me in this thread Sun-Tue whilst I catch up on the key games each week at least. With commute to work and having it on in the background I usually can get through 3 or so games in 40 a day and so by Wed I’m through the games I really care about - I’ll still watch the others but I’m not fussed about knowing the score.

It’s very hard to do, avoiding this thread, avoiding news sites, covering the bloody ticker at the bottom of the screen. A part of me often thinks it’d be easier to watch RedZone. But then another part of me thinks that if I do that, I’m out of NFL action for the week and also that I’m not getting my moneys worth out of the game pass app :lol:
I'd be just fine avoiding this thread or the news sites, but half of my NFL pleasure would be gone if I couldn't check the fantasy scores and statlines on Sunday and Monday. How do you even do waivers? :lol:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

I like to watch alone (even though some of my home league folks get together most Sundays) and just watch RedZone from start to finish. Then re-watch some exciting or interesting games in 40' on Monday or Tuesday. Also watch TNF, SNF and MNF in 40' without knowing the scores but I never watch full games during the regular season.

Is it more of a social thing in the US (or even the UK)? I consider Sunday nights as me-time, just get in front of the TV at 7pm and don't leave the couch until 2am except to open the door for the delivery guy. All whilst checking the NFL Fantasy, ESPN, Fleaflicker and Sleeper apps like a maniac of course.
I used to just watch the Packers game, and then Redzone either before or after, depending when it kicked off. And like you, it was pure me-time to try and dampen the impending Monday blues.

But I took my gf to the Jets/Falcons game in London last year, worried she was going to hate it and be bored for 3+ hours, but she loved it and now she's super into it. She's picked the Eagles (which may or may not be 100% It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia related) and we watch the Packers and Eagles games every weekend. If they clash, we set one up on the laptop. Basically every Sunday night is a mini-super bowl party. Just a hideously unhealthy platter of snacks, drinks and whatnot, every week (WFH on Mondays definitely helps). She's even watching Eagles pre-season games, full length, which even I don't do. That seems pretty hardcore. None of my friends are into the NFL so it's been pretty great since she got on board.

United is enough me-time anyway, as I can sulk, grumble and hate myself for the most part without interruption.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Is it more of a social thing in the US (or even the UK)?
Definitely. Traditionally we get screwed by being market locked so friends with satellite TV are in high demand. And I don’t have any data on it, but I’d assume the NFL is a factor in sports bars’ popularity. Having all the games on at once is a bit overwhelming but for a lot of people it’s the only way they can watch their team. Once you get used to the chaos, the weekly Buffalo Wild Wings or the like excursion is a good time.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Definitely. Traditionally we get screwed by being market locked so friends with satellite TV are in high demand. And I don’t have any data on it, but I’d assume the NFL is a factor in sports bars’ popularity. Having all the games on at once is a bit overwhelming but for a lot of people it’s the only way they can watch their team. Once you get used to the chaos, the weekly Buffalo Wild Wings or the like excursion is a good time.
You are correct, NFL & its draw is a huge factor for sports bars & restaurants.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
You are correct, NFL & its draw is a huge factor for sports bars & restaurants.
For all my hate at being into the NBA and NHL and their games in the middle of the night in Western Europe, I can't be grateful enough towards the NFL and their 1pm ET kick-offs. I wouldn't be able to explain to the missus that I'm off to a sports bar or a friend's house every Sunday between 1-8pm, or even worse 10am-5pm living on the West coast :lol: She's annoyed enough as it is that I'm blocking my schedule every Sunday evening between September and February.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I almost said they’re the Yankees of the NFL (or dare I say the Man United).

I mean I get all the stuff you’ve said, I just find it weird and I hate the cringy “America’s team” shite.
The Steelers also have an odd following where random people not affiliated with Pittsburgh seem drawn to them. There’s a British pub here in Santa Monica (owned by a Scouser) which when not showing Premier League games, gets inundated with Steelers fans on Sundays. I don’t think I’ve seen anything like it, even among Cowboys fans.

Gavinb33

I watch the Rams if they are featured on the UK games shown on Sky, if not i put on Redzone and have Twitter open and sit on my couch from 6pm until 10/11pm when i go to bed or watch MoTD 2 if United have won that day.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Ugh the last 2-3 weeks are by far the hardest and longest ones.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Drafted by the same guy who drafted David Johnson and made him have one of the best RB fantasy seasons of all-time :drool:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Random but does anyone else read comments in the football forum about the “RB” position and their brain automatically reads it as running back?

Or just me? :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Random but does anyone else read comments in the football forum about the “RB” position and their brain automatically reads it as running back?

It happened to me a few weeks ago, I had to make sure that I was in the correct thread.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

No I am acclimated to that, though the way people talk about transfers sometimes makes me think I’m in an American football forum where being worse in the short term helps you long term. ‘Why spend so much on Casemiro when he’s already 30?!’

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It happened to me a few weeks ago, I had to make sure that I was in the correct thread.
Good to know I’m not entirely alone.

No I am acclimated to that, though the way people talk about transfers sometimes makes me think I’m in an American football forum where being worse in the short term helps you long term. ‘Why spend so much on Casemiro when he’s already 30?!’
The ease with which fans just write off years of players careers is mind blowing, especially like you say when it doesn’t give any long term benefit.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

Was thinking the exact same last week. Imagine Dalot running between the tackles :lol:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
This has caused quite the uproar recently, so I thought I’d test the Caf: how dirty do you think this cut-block was?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Technically legal so not “dirty” really as much as you could argue it should be. Perhaps bad form?
Bad form on behalf of the defender. He squats sideways like he’s taking a shoulder charge when he should be doing the opposite and getting up/around the block, thus making it worse for himself. The blocker makes initial contact just about at the hip then slides down the leg making it look worse than it actually was on his part.

But the ‘experts‘ like this guy and Emmanuel Acho went on a holy rampage calling it cowardly and dirty when it wasn’t; it was just poor form and unfortunate timing on something that happens every weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.