NFL 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Add Michael Mayer like I just saw in the TDN mock or Dalton Kincaid at TE and the Chargers will be cooking with gas.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

One of the reasons I wanted Kelce Bowl is because of the podcast. Looking forward to it.
All in all they've been the best 2 teams in the league this season to be honest, so it's a great match-up.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Insane you have the NFL with hard cap where the focus is on drafting, player development and shrewd signings . While you have football now where the focus is on signing everyone for like 80 million( United as guilty as any other club)

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Gonna be intriguing to see what the Niners will do with Trey Lance.

Imo they should just roll with him, but if they feel confident enough in Purdy it might be the last offseason that they can recoup some of their draft picks with a Lance trade.

Also interesting to see where Jimmy G ends up.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Gonna be intriguing to see what the Niners will do with Trey Lance.

Imo they should just roll with him, but if they feel confident enough in Purdy it might be the last offseason that they can recoup some of their draft picks with a Lance trade.

Also interesting to see where Jimmy G ends up.
Lance will be on a practice squad in three years’ time.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Hmm, harsh on the guy imo, he just hasn't had a chance yet to show what he's capable of and very unfortunate with the injury this year. He has the tools to be an absolute weapon in that Niners offense, and Shanahan clearly liked him enough to give away multiple 1st round picks for him.

Hasn't worked out so far obviously but far from a Josh Rosen type of situation. I think (for example) the Jets are in a worse position because Wilson has actually shown already that he's not (yet?) NFL starting material.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
No reason you can’t have Purdy and Lance on your team. You have a genuine competition in camp assuming both fit. Jimmy G will be gone. You take in another veteran. And you go from there. There’s absolutely no reason to ship either yet, unless you’re fully sold on Purdy in which case you may cash in on Lance.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I know it’s two weeks to go but I’m already struggling with who I’d like to win the SB.

On the one hand I am not a fan of the Eagles, and let’s face it, luck has been on their side this year (easy schedule, luck in the NFC Championship game). On the other hand they’re a really good team and not averse to seeing Hurts reach the pinnacle. Their progress this year has been incredible and, you can only beat what’s in front of you, and they’ve done that.

As for the Chiefs, they’ve been so successful that sometimes it’s nice to see others win. Having said that, I can’t help but admire Mahomes. We see plenty top quality QBs. Brady didn’t have the physical tools but as a leader and from a mentality perspective he was exceptional. Similar to Manning. Rodgers has the physical tools but it’s clear he’s not on the same level of leadership and lifting his franchise. Mahomes seems to have a combination of both and is truly heading towards GOAT status. And that’s coming from a Brady fan. Gotta admire what they do on offence too, Reid is just class.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Give the kid a chance FFS!

Also, you don't actually know whether he will be a Hall of Famer or the second coming of Ryan Leaf. As you don't have a crystal ball.....

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I know it’s two weeks to go but I’m already struggling with who I’d like to win the SB.

On the one hand I am not a fan of the Eagles, and let’s face it, luck has been on their side this year (easy schedule, luck in the NFC Championship game). On the other hand they’re a really good team and not averse to seeing Hurts reach the pinnacle. Their progress this year has been incredible and, you can only beat what’s in front of you, and they’ve done that.

As for the Chiefs, they’ve been so successful that sometimes it’s nice to see others win. Having said that, I can’t help but admire Mahomes. We see plenty top quality QBs. Brady didn’t have the physical tools but as a leader and from a mentality perspective he was exceptional. Similar to Manning. Rodgers has the physical tools but it’s clear he’s not on the same level of leadership and lifting his franchise. Mahomes seems to have a combination of both and is truly heading towards GOAT status. And that’s coming from a Brady fan. Gotta admire what they do on offence too, Reid is just class.
It says a lot about Brady that even well into his 40s, he was Mahomes's only real competition in the last few years. I find their frenemy relationship fascinating. I'm sure Brady sees a lot of himself in Mahomes, not the playstyle obviously but the competitive fire

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Give the kid a chance FFS!

Also, you don't actually know whether he will be a Hall of Famer or the second coming of Ryan Leaf. As you don't have a crystal ball.....
It's called a prognostication, of course I have no crystal ball. But I haven't seen one redeeming quality he possesses to be a moderately successful NFL QB.

Hell, I'd take Wilson from the Jets over him next year.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Looking at the depth of the 2023 RB class, I feel like the Giants missed a trick not trying to trade Saquon this season. Giving him a big contract right now would be a wrong choice, and they might've tricked a few teams into giving up solid draft capital for Barkley given the way how he started the season.

Tucker, Charbonnet, Tank, Miller, Evans, ... all backs who'd be available on Day 2 which could likely do as good a job as Barkley for the team.

gormless

Looking at the depth of the 2023 RB class, I feel like the Giants missed a trick not trying to trade Saquon this season. Giving him a big contract right now would be a wrong choice, and they might've tricked a few teams into giving up solid draft capital for Barkley given the way how he started the season.

Tucker, Charbonnet, Tank, Miller, Evans, ... all backs who'd be available on Day 2 which could likely do as good a job as Barkley for the team.
Without Barkley they don’t make the playoffs. And as the Giants themselves have proven, once you’re in there anything can happen even if you just scrape in.
I get what you’re saying in terms of future planning, but you can’t trade away the present when you’re a playoff team.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Can't bring it in myself, as a Raiders fan, to support the Chiefs in any way, so its definitely Fly Eagles Fly for me
Really difficult for me. I kind of hate KC, but they fought a lot - to a point where I have to admire that.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
Really difficult for me. I kind of hate KC, but they fought a lot - to a point where I have to admire that.
Oh I definitely respect them... they're a fantastic side, with a great QB and a great coach, but I cannot and will not support them in any game. It'd be like supporting Liverpool...

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Without Barkley they don’t make the playoffs. And as the Giants themselves have proven, once you’re in there anything can happen even if you just scrape in.
I get what you’re saying in terms of future planning, but you can’t trade away the present when you’re a playoff team.
That's what I disagree with - Daboll and his ability to let Daniel Jones play effective, turnover-free football was the reason they were in the playoffs imo.

The two SB teams this year barely pay their RBs anything. The Rams didn't either last season when they won it. A RB is just a RB, they're so replaceable, and Barkley doesn't even have house call speed anymore like he used to. He's still good, of course, but also almost at the aged 27 season which is where RBs tend to dramatically decline unless you're a superhuman like Derrick Henry.

Running backs on a big contract are a problem, you don't wanna get into a situation like Dallas and Zeke. The franchise tag will cost the Giants $10m for a one-year rental of Barkley, signing him to a long-term deal will cost them even more. Not to mention that they'll need to pay Daniel Jones this offseason as well. They should let someone else be stupid enough to sign Barkley right now and use a Rd 3 pick or something on a solid replacement.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
It's called a prognostication, of course I have no crystal ball. But I haven't seen one redeeming quality he possesses to be a moderately successful NFL QB.

Hell, I'd take Wilson from the Jets over him next year.
No you wouldn't

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No reason you can’t have Purdy and Lance on your team. You have a genuine competition in camp assuming both fit. Jimmy G will be gone. You take in another veteran. And you go from there. There’s absolutely no reason to ship either yet, unless you’re fully sold on Purdy in which case you may cash in on Lance.
I think Purdy and a capable vet would be the way to go. They should be able to dangle Lance to another team given that he hasn’t demonstrated he can be successful in his two years (injury noted). His actual playing time was mediocre at best and included a loss to the Bears. He may simply wind up in a category comparable to Darnold - a high draft pick who never justifies the risk of having been picked so high.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I think Purdy and a capable vet would be the way to go. They should be able to dangle Lance to another team given that he hasn’t demonstrated he can be successful in his two years (injury noted). His actual playing time was mediocre at best and included a loss to the Bears. He may simply wind up in a category comparable to Darnold - a high draft pick who never justifies the risk of having been picked so high.
My goodness. He's played, what? 4 games? I think it's fair to give it a bit more time until we consign him to the scrapheap.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
My goodness. He's played, what? 4 games? I think it's fair to give it a bit more time until we consign him to the scrapheap.
He should be able to compete elsewhere. The job appears Purdy’s for keeps, unless his injury doesn’t heal in time.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Firmly disagree, there's a reason Lance was a top-3 pick and Purdy was the last one.

Purdy's underlying metrics aren't all that great either if you look past his unbeaten starts record. Not everyone is a Prescott or a Brady, I think Lance should (or at least could) be able to beat him in camp easily - if Purdy gets healthy by then, that is.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Firmly disagree, there's a reason Lance was a top-3 pick and Purdy was the last one.

Purdy's underlying metrics aren't all that great either if you look past his unbeaten starts record. Not everyone is a Prescott or a Brady, I think Lance should (or at least could) be able to beat him in camp easily - if Purdy gets healthy by then, that is.
Purdy's results are nearly unprecedented for a rookie. His completion % and TD to picks ratio are also excellent. He has a cerebral leadership quality that is completely in sync with some of the greats from generations past, including Montana, Rodgers, Brees etc. Lance hasn't shown any promise in this regard. Where the players were drafted is also irrelevant since NFL teams routinely get it wrong in the first round.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Purdy's results are nearly unprecedented for a rookie. His completion % and TD to picks ratio are also excellent. He has a cerebral leadership quality that is completely in sync with some of the greats from generations past, including Montana, Rodgers, Brees etc. Lance hasn't shown any promise in this regard. Where the players were drafted is also irrelevant since NFL teams routinely get it wrong in the first round.
1. He also was atop the league in turnover worthy plays and dropped INTs. The Niners made life easy on him and schemed players open, yes he made some good throws but also routinely a few very bad ones.
2. Cerebral leadership and mentioning him in the same sentence as someone like Brees is just ridiculous. The Niners are stacked with talent all over their roster, it's not like they were lost or bad before he became a starter there. Lance hasn't shown any promise because he has started like 3 games.
3. Where players are drafted is definitely not irrelevant, even if teams get it wrong in the first round, they get it a hell of a lot more wrong in the last one.

Purdy's ceiling is something like a Jimmy G game manager. If Lance develops his strong traits he could propel the Niners into a completely different stratosphere. Happy to be proven wrong, but I'd take the bet on Lance being the starter in September if I had to choose right now. Agree to disagree if you seem to rate Purdy a lot higher than I do, the sample size and surrounding circumstances are just not there for me.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
1. He also was atop the league in turnover worthy plays and dropped INTs. The Niners made life easy on him and schemed players open, yes he made some good throws but also routinely a few very bad ones.
2. Cerebral leadership and mentioning him in the same sentence as someone like Brees is just ridiculous. Lance hasn't shown any promise because he has started like 3 games.
3. Where players are drafted is definitely not irrelevant, even if teams get it wrong in the first round, they get it a hell of a lot more wrong in the last one.

Purdy's ceiling is something like a Jimmy G game manager. If Lance develops his strong traits he could propel the Niners into a completely different stratosphere. Happy to be proven wrong, but I'd take the bet on Lance being the starter in September if I had to choose right now.
If Lance was ready before his injury, it would've been picked up on by the coaches in practice and he would've played. He could very well wind up starting for the Niners at the beginning of next year if Purdy hasn't recovered from his injury yet. But once he does, he will likely be the full time starter, since he has proven the team can be successful with him on the field of play. One doesn't just start a QB in an attempt to prove they weren't wrong by drafting him high in round 1.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
If Lance was ready before his injury, it would've been picked up on by the coaches in practice and he would've played. He could very well wind up starting for the Niners at the beginning of next year if Purdy hasn't recovered from his injury yet. But once he does, he will likely be the full time starter, since he has proven the team can be successful with him on the field of play. One doesn't just start a QB in an attempt to prove they weren't wrong by drafting him high in round 1.
He did play, he opened the season as their starter?

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Hmm, harsh on the guy imo, he just hasn't had a chance yet to show what he's capable of and very unfortunate with the injury this year. He has the tools to be an absolute weapon in that Niners offense, and Shanahan clearly liked him enough to give away multiple 1st round picks for him.

Hasn't worked out so far obviously but far from a Josh Rosen type of situation. I think (for example) the Jets are in a worse position because Wilson has actually shown already that he's not (yet?) NFL starting material.
I'm skeptical personally. I hope he pans out as he'd be great to watch (and he'll still only be 23 at the start of next season) but only 1 full season of production in college in a weak conference was already a red flag, and that's before then barely playing for the next 3 years.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He did play, he opened the season as their starter?
Right. Before Purdy was in the picture. Things have obviously changed dramatically now that Purdy has proven he can lead the team deep into the playoffs in his rookie year.

Also bear in mind that Lance only has one full year at QB in his entire college and pro careers combined, and it happened in an obscure conference where he had minimal competition. Therefore the Niners made a massive gamble in selecting him, and they won't feel obliged to stick with him given that they have other options they previously didn't have. Lynch was previously looking at the Jimmy G to Lance situation as comparable to Alex Smith to Mahommes in KC. That calculus has obviously changed now, and there also appears to be growing smoke they may be interested in Brady (which means they would almost certainly trade Lance).

gormless

That's what I disagree with - Daboll and his ability to let Daniel Jones play effective, turnover-free football was the reason they were in the playoffs imo.

The two SB teams this year barely pay their RBs anything. The Rams didn't either last season when they won it. A RB is just a RB, they're so replaceable, and Barkley doesn't even have house call speed anymore like he used to. He's still good, of course, but also almost at the aged 27 season which is where RBs tend to dramatically decline unless you're a superhuman like Derrick Henry.

Running backs on a big contract are a problem, you don't wanna get into a situation like Dallas and Zeke. The franchise tag will cost the Giants $10m for a one-year rental of Barkley, signing him to a long-term deal will cost them even more. Not to mention that they'll need to pay Daniel Jones this offseason as well. They should let someone else be stupid enough to sign Barkley right now and use a Rd 3 pick or something on a solid replacement.
I disagree with you thinking Giants reach Playoffs without Barkley.

Completely agree with the fall off at age 27 however and don’t know enough about college football to talk about the draft class. Same as you I don’t think they should keep him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I disagree with you thinking Giants reach Playoffs without Barkley.

Completely agree with the fall off at age 27 however and don’t know enough about college football to talk about the draft class. Same as you I don’t think they should keep him.
From the Giants perspective, they would need to figure out how to replace his 1300 yards rushing (which was more than McCaffery) and 57 receptions. It would be very hard to get a replacement RB who can run for 1300 yards, much less catch upwards of 60-70 passes as Barkley has done in the past. They are a team who think they are one key player away from reaching the SB, so they will want to add to, not subtract from what they already have.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
From the Giants perspective, they would need to figure out how to replace his 1300 yards rushing (which was more than McCaffery) and 57 receptions. It would be very hard to get a replacement RB who can run for 1300 yards, much less catch upwards of 60-70 passes as Barkley has done in the past. They are a team who think they are one key player away from reaching the SB, so they will want to add to, not subtract from what they already have.
That's very, very easy though. Tyler Allgeier was a 5th-round RB who ran a 4.60 40-yard dash and ran for 1.000+ yards on a bad offense whilst competing with 2 or 3 other RBs. Kenneth Walker got 1k+ yards despite being in a timeshire for the first part of the season and missing a few games. Dameon Pierce and Breece Hall would've easily eclipsed 1k rushing yards if they had stayed fit. Not to mention that most of the 2023 RB prospects are better than the likes of Pierce and Allgeier.

Of the 11 RBs behind Saquon who eclipsed 1k rushing yards, only Jamaal Williams and Najee Harris had a worse average YPC than Barkley. Give a back enough touches (Barkley had 295) and he'll get to 1k or above yards on the ground. Even 7th round RB Pacheco had a higher YPC than Barkley this season.

I get that you'd want to add instead of substract if you think you're a competing team but you shoestring yourself if you pay your RB north of $10m per year. Even if they think a RB is so important to their offense, they could draft Bijan Robinson in the first round and they'd immediately have a superior player (at this point) than Barkley on a much more friendly deal (which would be stupid and they won't do that, but they could, theoretically).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That's very, very easy though. Tyler Allgeier was a 5th-round RB who ran a 4.60 40-yard dash and ran for 1.000+ yards on a bad offense whilst competing with 2 or 3 other RBs. Kenneth Walker got 1k+ yards despite being in a timeshire for the first part of the season and missing a few games. Dameon Pierce and Breece Hall would've easily eclipsed 1k rushing yards if they had stayed fit. Not to mention that most of the 2023 RB prospects are better than the likes of Pierce and Allgeier.

Of the 11 RBs behind Saquon who eclipsed 1k rushing yards, only Jamaal Williams and Najee Harris had a worse average YPC than Barkley. Give a back enough touches (Barkley had 295) and he'll get to 1k or above yards on the ground. Even 7th round RB Pacheco had a higher YPC than Barkley this season.

I get that you'd want to add instead of substract if you think you're a competing team but you shoestring yourself if you pay your RB north of $10m per year. Even if they think a RB is so important to their offense, they could draft Bijan Robinson in the first round and they'd immediately have a superior player (at this point) than Barkley on a much more friendly deal (which would be stupid and they won't do that, but they could, theoretically).
Its not just the running yards. He's a receiving threat out of the backfield as well, so unless the Giants can conjure up a player who can replace the 1700 to 2k yards Barkley can deliver, they will be incentivized to continue with him and address their true deficiency, which is in the passing game by getting a quality free agent receiver.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Its not just the running yards. He's a receiving threat out of the backfield as well, so unless the Giants can conjure up a player who can replace the 1700 to 2k yards Barkley can deliver, they will be incentivized to continue with him and address their true deficiency, which is in the passing game by getting a quality free agent receiver.
Barkley gave them 1.650 rushing+receiving yards on a whopping 352 touches. If you extrapolate Breece Hall's season to a full one, you get 1.653 rushing+receiving yards on 240 touches. On the Jets offense, as a second-round pick. So imo the Giants could easily get someone like Bijan, Gibbs, or the RBs a tier below that and get similar production. Even a slight downgrade would be worth it if you can add important pieces in the trenches or elsewhere.

Very much agree though that the passing game is their biggest need. They should be hoping JSN makes it to their pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.