NFL 2023

whitbyviking

Brutal news for anybody!

Rodgers is just having a laugh now, getting a few mates to hang out with in New York for shits and giggles seemingly. Be hilarious if the Jets and Packers can't agree terms now.

Lions are sneaking into contention in the NFC, dark horses for the divisional maybe all things considered.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Long live the tush push.

Long live being reminded how much Jalen Hurts squats, every week for 18 weeks, minimum.

Can't see this specifically getting traction or passing...

The attachment in the first tweet says 4th and 20, which is slightly better, but I'm not a fan. Haven't they pulled it from XFL? Seems kinda gimmicky.

Ball should always turnover after a score IMO. Onside kicks are an option I guess, but they rarely succeed anyway.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Jesus, Bucs lead the league with $74 million dead cap money. I heard such earlier today & didn’t believe it, but it’s true.

That’s quite a number. Brady’s $35 million hit was the second largest ever.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/
It seems weird to me that a player retiring creates dead cap space. Something should be done about that.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It seems weird to me that a player retiring creates dead cap space. Something should be done about that.
It would just open it up to manipulation.

“Oh we’re signing this vet at the end of his career on a 5 year deal, honest, we’re just giving him 90% as a signing bonus to incentivise him”

A year later: “we had no idea he was going to retire, but we’ll average that hit out over the remaining years in his deal, thanks”

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Just glad we still have Winfield Jr., Wirfs, & White under rookie deals, else this off-season would have been an absolute bloodbath.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
It would just open it up to manipulation.

“Oh we’re signing this vet at the end of his career on a 5 year deal, honest, we’re just giving him 90% as a signing bonus to incentivise him”

A year later: “we had no idea he was going to retire, but we’ll average that hit out over the remaining years in his deal, thanks”
In its pure current format sure, but a better solution should be available than what is presently. Not to mention this option is hugely risky for the team anyway. Should the guy not retire, they’d end up cutting and taking the cap hits accordingly. Or if they don’t cut, they’d be stuck paying his massive contract. So don’t think it’d be quite this easy to manipulate. Owners might find themselves Phil Jones’s you know :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
In its pure current format sure, but a better solution should be available than what is presently. Not to mention this option is hugely risky for the team anyway. Should the guy not retire, they’d end up cutting and taking the cap hits accordingly. Or if they don’t cut, they’d be stuck paying his massive contract. So don’t think it’d be quite this easy to manipulate. Owners might find themselves Phil Jones’s you know :lol:
:lol: there’s probably some kind of middle ground situation but it’s not like it’s a regular occurrence to be something that’s in dire need of solving.

Also it’s Brady and the Buccs so I’m fine with them suffering!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The way it currently works with this type of situation is that they add voidable years. As an example Tom Brady signed a 5 years contract, only one of them was supposed to be with the team and him actually paid. If Brady didn't retire he'd be a free agent, the Bucs wouldn't pay him.

Hephaestus

I'm so happy about this. Felt so wrong last season seeing him play for the Rams.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

I'm so happy about this. Felt so wrong last season seeing him play for the Rams.
I’m happy with this having no affiliation to the Seahawks. Certain players just don’t seem right in another teams uniform.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
If I had offer a guess, the Browns pulled the trigger on Elijah Moore when their final asking price on Jeudy was shot down. There was a lot of smoke there for Denver WRs between both the Pats and the Browns.

Baseless fog of war speculation of course, and they got a great price on EM regardless so who knows...

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
If I had offer a guess, the Browns pulled the trigger on Elijah Moore when their final asking price on Jeudy was shot down. There was a lot of smoke there for Denver WRs between both the Pats and the Browns.

Baseless fog of war speculation of course, and they got a great price on EM regardless so who knows...
The Browns? His stats in his rookie season were great but a big downwards arrow last year - of course due to circumstances, but still.

I'd maybe rather get a guy like Downs or Flowers at the start of the second round with a few more added rookie contract years.

It wasn't a bad deal of course, but neither was it a great one I feel.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The Browns? His stats in his rookie season were great but a big downwards arrow last year - of course due to circumstances, but still.

I'd maybe rather get a guy like Downs or Flowers at the start of the second round with a few more added rookie contract years.

It wasn't a bad deal of course, but neither was it a great one I feel.
If you use a modern draft value chart (not the famous old Jimmy Johnson one) it was around the equivalent of a 5th. That's nice for a guy that has flashed at both levels already.

And if all the noise is true, Flowers won't be there in the 2nd round. One of the biggest risers in the pre-draft process.

JJ12

Jeremy Fowler just reported that the Ravens aren’t fully committed to Lamar and he is also uncommitted and feels a change of scenery could benefit him. Both pretty obvious at this point. He also noted the Colts are a team to keep an eye on.

Yesterday a report came out that the Colts were looking to move down in the draft which seemed baffling at the time given their need at QB, but actually now makes sense if they are going to make a move for him.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
That'd be cool. Lamar, Lawrence and hopefully a succesful Young/Stroud in Houston would make the AFCS fun to watch again.

Now that the FA frenzy is slightly over, it's gonna be a long month wait until the draft :(

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Will be surprised to see the NFLPA being kosher with this...

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Should come with some additional conditions imo, e.g. flexing only allowed in December and no team should play more than 2 TNF games. If you can manage it around bye weeks, it might still only mean one short week for most teams.

Obviously I think most would agree that it feels wrong to let the league's biggest stars (or anyone, for that matter) play 4-5 games on a 4-day notice.

JJ12

So Lamar actually requested a trade March 2nd. Maybe it wasn’t collusion after all :lol:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
So what's the Ravens' play here? Couldn't find a trade partner for more than 2 first rounders so tagged him and were now hoping that someone would offer him a suitable deal without the intention to match that offer?

All parties seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place now. Lamar wants to be traded so likely doesn't want to play under the tag. Ravens risk losing him for free next season if no one makes an offer to him right now...

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Safe to say he's played this so poorly. I think all parties have, without knowing for sure what the Ravens have offered.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I don't know if it was a bonafide rumor or just logically connecting the dots (like a Tee Higgins trade) but I heard DC mentioned as a dark horse.

Something about Dan Snyder giving the middle finger on his way out by guaranteeing huge sums of money then passing that on to the next owner (also don't know how that escrow money would work so there's a lot of "don't know" here...:wenger:)...

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I don't know if it was a bonafide rumor or just logically connecting the dots (like a Tee Higgins trade) but I heard DC mentioned as a dark horse.

Something about Dan Snyder giving the middle finger on his way out by guaranteeing huge sums of money then passing that on to the next owner (also don't know how that escrow money would work so there's a lot of "don't know" here...:wenger:)...
Not after they took Brissett imo.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
We still don't know what Lamar is actually after and there have also been reports that he doesn't want a fully guaranteed deal. He's getting slaughtered just because he doesn't have an agent but far worse situations have been created with an actual agent involved. I don't see how we can blame him in this situation without knowing for sure what has been going on. There are so many factors at play here (QB contracts given out last year, his label as "running" or "injury prone" QB, the Ravens' unwillingness to commit, ...) that it's impossible to simply state that he has played this poorly.