NFL Thread 2014-2015

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

I'm surprised this happened! Good trade for sexy rexy.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is there someone who can explain to me how the franchise and transition tag work ?

Apparently the player can refuse to play for the team who tagged him. What happens then ?

gormless

Is there someone who can explain to me how the franchise and transition tag work ?

Apparently the player can refuse to play for the team who tagged him. What happens then ?
They don't play the season. Quite a few players refuse to sign it to make a point. However, if they don't sign it, they don't get an accredited season, which means they can be tagged again next year without significantly increased pay (I believe there is a limit on the amount of times a player can be franchised. Also, if a player is tagged 2 years in a row, then the second years pay is significantly larger than the first years).
To avoid missing out on an accredited season, whilst still making a point, some players such as Logan Mankins will only sign the tag halfway through the season, so they play the required amount of games to get an accredited season, whilst still making their point.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They don't play the season. Quite a few players refuse to sign it to make a point. However, if they don't sign it, they don't get an accredited season, which means they can be tagged again next year without significantly increased pay (I believe there is a limit on the amount of times a player can be franchised. Also, if a player is tagged 2 years in a row, then the second years pay is significantly larger than the first years).
To avoid missing out on an accredited season, whilst still making a point, some players such as Logan Mankins will only sign the tag halfway through the season, so they play the required amount of games to get an accredited season, whilst still making their point.
Thanks, and when a player has a transition tag, the team who signs during the free agency has to pay with a draft pick ?

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Patriots are not picking up Vince Wilfork's option :(

Sucks, but has to be done, frees up $8 million in the salary cap which is a lot for a player his age and at his stage in career. He could return on a reduced deal if nobody picks him up in free agency. Here is his statement.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Literally a big loss! Great statement from him, glad he got to win another ring.

Hopefully this money goes towards Revis. Really imperative we keep him. To lose Wilfork, Revis & McCourty would be awful!

iSparky

I would like to think that this move is being made so that they are freeing up enough cap room for a Revis deal.

iSparky

Pats are not taking up their option for Revis, confident of re-negotiating a long term deal instead.