NFL Thread 2019

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Hoping for a Titans @ Texans and Seahawks @ Niners Championship Sunday.

Think it'll be Chiefs @ Ravens and Packers @ Niners though. The Seahawks are a better and more well-coached team than the Packers imo but they are too depleted at this point and going to Lambeau instead of playing at home makes a huge difference. The Texans have a puncher's chance now Fuller is healthy again but it'll be difficult with the way their D has been playing in the second half of the season. Hopefully Mahomes comes out a bit rusty.

Titans-Ravens should be a no-contest. Vikings-Niners could be a really good one to start the weekend.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
NFL.com said:
The Green Bay area is expected to get pummeled with eight to 10 inches of snow Saturday night into Sunday morning.

Given the 70 percent chance of snow accumulation ahead of Sunday's game against the Seattle Seahawks, the Packers are putting out a request for shovelers to help clear Lambeau Field.

The Packers are asking for as many as 700 shovelers to assist with the process beginning at 6 a.m. on Sunday, Jan. 12, according to the team's official website.

If you're in the area and willing to support, the Packers will pay volunteers $12 per hour. And don't worry about bringing your own equipment. The team will provide shovels. Further information can be found at the team's website.

With kickoff set for 5:40 p.m. local time (central), occasional snow showers could also fall during the game, per the Weather Channel, with light winds. The temperature is expected to hover around 21 degrees, with winds between 4 and 7 mph.
Snow game :cool:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
QB is the most important position in all of sports, but I think the lack of a running game can expose you. Especially in the playoffs.
That's not really the point though and you could make the same comment about the lack of passing game with the small difference that you don't even reach the playoffs without an efficient passing game.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Can't call either of the NFC games. I'll be shocked if it's not the Ravens vs Chiefs next week.

JPRouve

Scout
Peyton's last season?
I should have put a caveat, a genuinely great defense can carry a bad offense, that Denver offense was below average at both rushing and passing, with advanced stats that ranked them respectively 20th and 25th.
If you look at football outsiders, 7 of the top 10 passing offenses were in the playoff while "only" 5 of the rushing offenses were. Playoff teams are good at football and they generally can do both but passing offense and passing defense are currently the most important aspects.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
@JPRouve Sure, balance is key. Yes, having a great QB can be a great equalizer and paper over many cracks. But being able to pound the ball and control the clock while having a physical o-line exert their will on a tiring D, really can't be downplayed. This is why I'll be surprised if KC (without any semblance of a running game) wins it all this year.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I should have put a caveat, a genuinely great defense can carry a bad offense, that Denver offense was below average at both rushing and passing, with advanced stats that ranked them respectively 20th and 25th.
If you look at football outsiders, 7 of the top 10 passing offenses were in the playoff while "only" 5 of the rushing offenses were. Playoff teams are good at football and they generally can do both but passing offense and passing defense are currently the most important aspects.
Which is crazy because Denver had one of the most attractive offenses only a couple years prior.

edcunited1878

Defensive line, ability to stretch the defense via the pass and ability to rush the ball will allow you the best chance to win in the Playoffs. QB is the most important individual position, but as you saw last week with Saints v. Vikings...Brees wasn't clean because his O-Line was at the mercy of the Vikings too many times.

You cannot be one-dimensional in the playoffs. You have to establish some type of run threat to open up the offense and move the ball down the field. Field position is dictated a lot by the defensive line then special teams. The cat and mouse games in the playoffs are so important.

Sylar

McCarthy to cowboys is funny for me as my brother is a cowboys fan. His playcalling was really stale towards the end (started with that loss to Seahawks in the championship game and just got worse each year). He was against running the ball when it made sense and used to always call a screen on third and long. Was weird.

Jason Garrett icing his own kicker will always be one of my fav moments of his

JPRouve

Scout
@JPRouve Sure, balance is key. Yes, having a great QB can be a great equalizer and paper over many cracks. But being able to pound the ball and control the clock while having a physical o-line exert their will on a tiring D, really can't be downplayed. This is why I'll be surprised if KC (without any semblance of a running game) wins it all this year.
The thing is you no one worth listening will tell you that not being able to run the ball is fine, because it clearly isn't. For example, running the ball in the red zone is still if I'm not mistaken the most effective way to score but you need to be able to reach the end zone in the first place and the most effective way to do is through the passing game basically an average passing offense is more effective than the best rushing offense, Lamar Jackson being if I'm not mistaken the exception.

Here Gettleman is being an idiot, not only because he seemingly didn't realize that good passing offenses are better represented in the playoff but also because it's clear that good overall offenses are the key here, you could even put an emphasis on RPO and play action based offenses. An other thing, that may blow Gettleman's mind two of the remaining teams have the lightest offensive lines in the NFL(Vikings and Niners), the man clearly has no clue about the game in 2020.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Picking the Ravens, Chiefs, Packers and Vikings.

Sorry to all of their respective fans in advance. :lol:
I think most people are going to pick 2/3/4 of the top seeds, it's just whether you think 1 or 2 upsets may happen.

49ers, Ravens, Chiefs and Seahawks.... big fan of Pete Carroll.

Carroll to get the tactics right, Wilson to execute them and a narrow win.

Failing that, Clowney to headbutt someone (maybe an official) and get ejected.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

From one of the greatest offensive minds in the game today. This is all true imo.

Charlie Foley

I think most people are going to pick 2/3/4 of the top seeds, it's just whether you think 1 or 2 upsets may happen.

49ers, Ravens, Chiefs and Seahawks.... big fan of Pete Carroll.

Carroll to get the tactics right, Wilson to execute them and a narrow win.

Failing that, Clowney to headbutt someone (maybe an official) and get ejected.
We’ve seen he doesn’t get ejected for that

Charlie Foley

Starting to get nervous about this game. Vikings are a tricky match up for us. We should have enough but they are looking healthy and good

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Starting to get nervous about this game. Vikings are a tricky match up for us. We should have enough but they are looking healthy and good
They'll apply their usual tactic of trying to bore opposition teams to death.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Starting to get a bit nervy now with an hour to go. With the weird af week I’m having it would just be typical for ya to get blown out tonight.

DavelinaJolie

Man, I'm bricking it. Won't be staying awake for the game, so will wake up to the Ravens score and either be grumpy or happy all day.