NFL Thread 2019

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Niners will wear their traditional white jerseys / gold pants uniforms in the Super Bowl as the away team. They can petition to the NFL if they wanna wear their all-white unis though :drool:

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Niners will wear their traditional white jerseys / gold pants uniforms in the Super Bowl as the away team. They can petition to the NFL if they wanna wear their all-white unis though :drool:
Yeah I was reading we are going to try and get the NFL to agree to let us wear the all white ‘94 throwbacks, but they made an exception for week 17 and are unlikely to allow it

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah I was reading we are going to try and get the NFL to agree to let us wear the all white ‘94 throwbacks, but they made an exception for week 17 and are unlikely to allow it
The white ones are amazing, but you've got 2 SB wins in the white/gold unis so I wouldn't be too sad if it doesn't get approved :D

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
The white ones are amazing, but you've got 2 SB wins in the white/gold unis so I wouldn't be too sad if it doesn't get approved :D
To be honest I’d prefer the red and gold but I’m just so proud to be there that it hasn’t really sunk in yet. I’ve only seen us in 1 SB and that was 2012 which we lost. I’m so excited for this one.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
To be honest I’d prefer the red and gold but I’m just so proud to be there that it hasn’t really sunk in yet. I’ve only seen us in 1 SB and that was 2012 which we lost. I’m so excited for this one.
Would prefer red and gold but do love the all whites!

This will be the 5th time that we've reached the Super Bowl since I started watching the sport in the 1985 season and am really excited! KC has a prolific offense but I am confident that our D is up to the task. I think our D is as good as their offense is, but that our offense is better than their defence.

I will be in Paris to watch it, as going over for the France v England 6 Nations game - so a fantastic day of sport!

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Would prefer red and gold but do love the all whites!

This will be the 5th time that we've reached the Super Bowl since I started watching the sport in the 1985 season and am really excited! KC has a prolific offense but I am confident that our D is up to the task. I think our D is as good as their offense is, but that our offense is better than their defence.

I will be in Paris to watch it, as going over for the France v England 6 Nations game - so a fantastic day of sport!
Red and gold for me too... it's a bit like United with the red tops, just feels right.

Going away for the 6 Nations and you'll still be sober enough to watch the Superbowl?! That takes some self discipline :)

The way the NFL and 6 Nations dates work is great .... especially when the football season isn't giving a lot of joy. One ends, the other starts, happy days?

Good luck, all depends which France turns up?

This will be a tough tournament for us... changes in the team, still some key injuries and this is the season when we play 'blues at home, rest away' meaning we have Ireland and England away. Ouch.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Red and gold for me too... it's a bit like United with the red tops, just feels right.

Going away for the 6 Nations and you'll still be sober enough to watch the Superbowl?! That takes some self discipline :)

The way the NFL and 6 Nations dates work is great .... especially when the football season isn't giving a lot of joy. One ends, the other starts, happy days?

Good luck, all depends which France turns up?

This will be a tough tournament for us... changes in the team, still some key injuries and this is the season when we play 'blues at home, rest away' meaning we have Ireland and England away. Ouch.
Am going for naive optimism :)

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

The Kick-Off rule change sounds interesting. I’m a fan of keeping KO returns, but I like the idea a team maintains possession for a 4th & 15 attempt rather than hoping to recover an onside kick.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Just create an entire playbook dedicated to 15-yard pickups and you can keep Mahomes off the field for an entire game, sounds great!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Flying into Ft Lauderdale the day of the Superb Owl. Game tickets are nearly $5000 so feck that, but the energy in the bars and viewing parties around the South Florida area should be good. Not to mention the flood of 49er and KC fans walking about in red.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The 4th and 15 attempt is the exact change the Broncos proposed at last years owners meeting.

Meller

Flying into Ft Lauderdale the day of the Superb Owl. Game tickets are nearly $5000 so feck that, but the energy in the bars and viewing parties around the South Florida area should be good. Not to mention the flood of 49er and KC fans walking about in red.

gormless

I was in Nashville for the draft this year. Didn’t go to the actual event due to family commitments but the energy around the place was amazing. Was like half the city got turned into a festival. I imagine the Super Bowl will be similar

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Not condoning Or justifying his actions of course, but I am certain Brown has CTE. People talk about how the Steelers were able to control him but I think it’s also down to deterioration over time. It’s not that he does crazy shit as loads of people do crazy shit. It’s actually more the circumstances around those incidents such as when, where, how erratic and different each are, that I think are tell tell signs. Typically even if someone does something crazy there is some tangible thought process where you can at least figure out what went through their mind to do it. It’s not like that with Brown, some of the things he does makes no sense. If it’s just your nature With no mental conditions you don’t go a decent number of years without any slip ups. And if you think about some of the hits he has taken, that one from Burfict in particular comes to mind, it makes sense.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Reid will be the seventh head coach to appear in the SB with two teams. Of those seven, four lost in their only appearance before moving to a new team. Does Reid match Vermeil, or go the route of Fox, or perhaps Shula?

Shula - 68 Colts (L), 71 Dolphins (L), 72 Dolphins (W)
Vermeil - 80 Eagles (L), 99 Rams (W)
Fox - 03 Panthers (L), 13 Broncos (L)
Reid - 04 Eagles (L), 19 Chiefs (tbd)

Parcells won twice with the Giants and lost once with the Patriots.
Holmgren won once then lost once with Green Bay, and lost once with Seattle.
Reeves lost three times with Denver and once with Atlanta.
In Shula’s case, he went on to also lose in 82 and 84.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
In Shula’s case, he went on to also lose in 82 and 84.
True, was just putting his first win in the loop to show his trajectory.

Honestly, Shula should have got to the SB 2-3 more times with Marino. They choked the year NE went to the SB. Miami had manhandled Chicago that season and were a matchup nightmare for Ryan's defense. Got to a couple more AFC title games if memory serves, along with some bad seasons missing the playoffs by a distance.

Last edited:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Not condoning Or justifying his actions of course, but I am certain Brown has CTE. People talk about how the Steelers were able to control him but I think it’s also down to deterioration over time. It’s not that he does crazy shit as loads of people do crazy shit. It’s actually more the circumstances around those incidents such as when, where, how erratic and different each are, that I think are tell tell signs. Typically even if someone does something crazy there is some tangible thought process where you can at least figure out what went through their mind to do it. It’s not like that with Brown, some of the things he does makes no sense. If it’s just your nature With no mental conditions you don’t go a decent number of years without any slip ups. And if you think about some of the hits he has taken, that one from Burfict in particular comes to mind, it makes sense.
Obviously you may well be right, but I can’t help thinking the bloke is just a dickhead.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Only sensible decision I'm afraid, no team would've wanted him as their starting QB for next season anyway.

Let the HOF debate begin :lol:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
He's also 7th on the all-time passing yards list. Of the 6 in front of him, at least 5 are already HOF'ers or will be in as a first-ballot. The 2 behind him are / will also be HOFers.

MrMarcello

He's also 7th on the all-time passing yards list. Of the 6 in front of him, at least 5 are already HOF'ers or will be in as a first-ballot. The 2 behind him are / will also be HOFers.
Different eras though. Many of the present HoF QBs would be in that 50,000-75,000 passing yard category had they played in the last 10-20 years. I cannot begin to image what the likes of Montana, Young, Staubach, Unitas, et al would have done in the 90s forward. Fouts and Marino were piling up numbers in a run-run-run era.

He's a .500 career QB who "fluked" two championship wins.

It's solely based on the SB wins not much else. As such, Jim Plunkett should be in.
https://abc7ny.com/sports/should-el...of-fame-nfl-experts-cast-their-votes/5546120/

Last edited:

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
If it gets to a shootout, Chiefs will win.
I keep seeing this comment made - think people are underestimating the Niners.

Our strength may indeed be our D, but we are no slouches on offense. I read these stats that support this:

"The 49ers' offense is largely being ignored. “Kansas City’s offense, for all of it’s accolades, finished this year 3rd in the NFL in scoring. You know who finished 2nd? The San Francisco 49ers.”

"#49ers lost 3 times, all on the last play of the game The last 8 games SF's played have been against 7 teams with a combined record of 79-35. They're 6-2 with a point differential of plus-65. Could SF lose? Sure. But a blow out? Has anyone been paying attention at all?"

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Only sensible decision I'm afraid, no team would've wanted him as their starting QB for next season anyway.

Let the HOF debate begin :lol:
It shouldn’t be a question. He’s a two time Superbowl winner and MVP against one of the best dynasties in NFL history. Say what you want about his win rate, but when it came time to do it on the biggest stage, he showed up.

MrMarcello

@swooshboy
A blowout can happen in any game, it's a fair point. Could be the Chiefs get blown it. We've seen it in the Super Bowl many times, most recently Denver getting smashed by Seattle. Not many, if any, predicted such against that offense.

The 49ers did have a third place schedule this season, but did go 5-2 against 5 teams that finished above .500 (played LA and Seattle twice - probably the strongest division this season). 49ers have the better defense overall despite giving up two more points.

The Chiefs had a first placed schedule this season, and went 4-2 against 6 teams that finished above .500 (none in their division - middle of the league division strength-wise). One of those losses was with Mahomes out injured (vs Green Bay); likely 5-1 with him there (they did beat Minnesota without him and lost to Tennessee on his return from injury). Chiefs have the better offense overall IMO. And no one is taking Jimmy G over Mahomes.