NFL Thread 2019

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
But is that on Hurst? And does that mean that he shouldn't be one of the Vikings mid round picks?
Mid-round is fine. He is a high-character guy and a leader that will be good for team morale even in a backup role.

But don’t expect him to start eventually. He can run but he is no Lamar, and certainly doesn’t have the arm of Kyler his predecessor.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Mid-round is fine. He is a high-character guy and a leader that will be good for team morale even in a backup role.

But don’t expect him to start eventually. He can run but he is no Lamar, and certainly doesn’t have the arm of Kyler his predecessor.
You see, I'm not sold on any QBs beyond Burrows and Tagovailoa but what you did there is what I did myself and I think that there is a big problem with it. The comparison is with Cousins and in the context of his cap numbers and Mannion's too. Basically do you think that someone like Hurst could be, with good coaching and the help of Kubiak, an average QB while playing under a rookie contract? Because the current alternative is to stick with a certified average QB on a big contract and the difference is your ability to build a stronger roster with a cheaper QB.
I asked about Hurst because he seems to be the most likely to be available in the late 3rd/ 4th round, the likes of Love, Herbert and Fromm are projected to go in the 1st or early 2nd round which for the Vikings is a bad spot, they need to bring cheap OL, DL and defensive backs first and while some of these positions may be filled in FA, most probably won't.

But lets say that Love is the one slipping, would your response be different?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
You see, I'm not sold on any QBs beyond Burrows and Tagovailoa but what you did there is what I did myself and I think that there is a big problem with it. The comparison is with Cousins and in the context of his cap numbers and Mannion's too. Basically do you think that someone like Hurst could be, with good coaching and the help of Kubiak, an average QB while playing under a rookie contract? Because the current alternative is to stick with a certified average QB on a big contract and the difference is your ability to build a stronger roster with a cheaper QB.
I asked about Hurst because he seems to be the most likely to be available in the late 3rd/ 4th round, the likes of Love, Herbert and Fromm are projected to go in the 1st or early 2nd round which for the Vikings is a bad spot, they need to bring cheap OL, DL and defensive backs first and while some of these positions may be filled in FA, most probably won't.

But lets say that Love is the one slipping, would your response be different?
Love is the high ceiling guy, Hurts is the high floor/low ceiling guy in this context.

I don’t know that Hurts’ passing could improve to the point where you can bank on the low salary being worth the downside, short of a famous defense like the recent Broncos/Giants/(old) Ravens paired with an entirely revamped offense like the Ravens (new).

JPRouve

Scout
Love is the high ceiling guy, Hurts is the high floor/low ceiling guy in this context.

I don’t know that Hurts’ passing could improve to the point where you can bank on the low salary being worth the downside, short of a famous defense like the recent Broncos/Giants/(old) Ravens paired with an entirely revamped offense like the Ravens (new).
The Vikings don't need to revamp the offense though, they have young and very talented players on that side of the ball. The issue is that the defense is getting old and there isn't enough cap room to keep in-house young FAs or bring big contracts FAs, the likes of Rhodes, Joseph, Waynes and Griffen have big cap numbers and should probably be let go while the likes of Wilson, Alexander and Harris should be kept but will cost a lot, on top of that Holton Hill is a pothead, he is very talented but he may be the next Gordon and Smith won't be around forever.
From the Vikings POV that high floor is worth a lot, Cousins cap number will be way beyond 30m if he is extended and they better be sure that he can elevate the offense to the point where it's genuinely great because it will prevent the team from having a great defense. The high ceiling may be enticing but is the risk worth it particularly when it's only a trial, you are not married to a mid round pick, though admittedly that argument works both ways.

The other option would be to trade up into the top 5 and pick before Miami but I don't see a team being interested and the cost will be frightening, maybe Diggs and 1st round picks for Washington's 1st round pick?

lsd

The Oracle
What do you think about Jalen Hurst? Do you think that the Vikings should target him in the upcoming draft?

I wonder where he will go in the draft . I can see him being there in the third round . I would take him as a back up .

As far as the Cowboys are concerned I would cut Cooper and go for Henry Ruggs

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

:lol:

And I'd love to see this tbh.

muller

Anyone going to give the XFL a go? On 7pm and 10pm this weekend on both Saturday and Sunday. 8 Teams, 10 weeks. New rules, look alright. On BT Sport and BT Sport / ESPN in the UK.

Few of us picked a team a few months ago based on nothing more than our favourite logos.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Mic'd Up from the SB is available on YouTube. God I love Kittle so much, he's friggin awesome. Also, right after the game to a random Chief: "Hey, say hi to Kelce for me, can't find him. Drink a beer!", love that.

Frank Clark to Jimmy: "Hey Jimmy - they pay you all that goddamn money only to run the ball" :lol:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Anyone going to give the XFL a go? On 7pm and 10pm this weekend on both Saturday and Sunday. 8 Teams, 10 weeks. New rules, look alright. On BT Sport and BT Sport / ESPN in the UK.

Few of us picked a team a few months ago based on nothing more than our favourite logos.
I won't - considered it for a bit but it would just be a weaker and lesser version of the NFL which I'd be frustrated with very soon. Enjoy the offseason as it is... Free agency, the combine and draft day will be here soon enough.

mav_9me

Mic'd Up from the SB is available on YouTube. God I love Kittle so much, he's friggin awesome. Also, right after the game to a random Chief: "Hey, say hi to Kelce for me, can't find him. Drink a beer!", love that.

Frank Clark to Jimmy: "Hey Jimmy - they pay you all that goddamn money only to run the ball" :lol:
Hahaha...that's a classic troll.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Rivers and the Chargers will part ways... I hope he ends up in Indy.

Taysom Hill wants to be a full-time QB and doesn't mind leaving the Saints to become one.

Myles Garrett looks like he'll be reinstated by the league.

Tua's hip has fully healed.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Predictions for the QB merry-go-round?

Rivers
Brady
Cam
Winston
Mariota
Hill
Bridgewater
Dak will likely be tagged
Brees retiring?

Not often there’s so much potential for change at QB.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Rivers --> Indy
Brady --> New England
Cam --> Panthers if healthy, released otherwise
Winston --> new deal in Tampa
Mariota --> back-up somewhere
Hill --> stays if Brees retires, depends otherwise (restricted FA so steep price to trade for him if the Saints tender, I believe)
Bridgewater --> traded to be a potential starter... Chargers?
Dak --> franchise tag
Brees --> I'll think he'll do another year.

JPRouve

Scout
Rivers to Tampa
Brady to Chargers
Cam to Chicago
Winston to Cincinnati
Mariota backup for the Broncos
Hill will have to stay where he is
Bridgewater with the Vikings
Dak will likely be tagged, yes
Brees retiring? No, he will chase an other ring with NO

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Rivers to Tampa
Brady to Chargers
Cam to Chicago
Winston to Cincinnati
Mariota backup for the Broncos
Hill will have to stay where he is
Bridgewater with the Vikings
Dak will likely be tagged, yes
Brees retiring? No, he will chase an other ring with NO
Meaning you think Cinci trades out of the #1 pick and they'd have to (over)pay Winston in the process?

Doesn't seem likely at first sight?

JPRouve

Scout
Meaning you think Cinci trades out of the #1 pick and they'd have to (over)pay Winston in the process?

Doesn't seem likely at first sight?
No, I see them have him as a backup and either trade or cut Dalton who doesn't have any dead cap in 2020 but a cap hit of 17.7m.

Last edited:

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Predictions for the QB merry-go-round?

Rivers - Miami
Brady - Chargers
Cam - Indy
Winston - Tampa
Mariota - Raiders
Hill - Saints
Bridgewater - NE
Dak will likely be tagged - agree
Brees retiring? - Saints 1 more year

Not often there’s so much potential for change at QB.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
This Taysom hill thing needs to stop. A good player, yes, but not a starting quarterback.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
This Taysom hill thing needs to stop. A good player, yes, but not a starting quarterback.
He wants to be one, he's a restricted FA, wouldn't require top dollar and has proven that he has the arm talent and run threat. If Brees returns, someone will take a punt on Hill.

Hephaestus

If I speak, I'm in trouble.
Way more than I was expecting, I know we've got a decent chunk of cap room but still, 7 million for a TE who'll be 35 at the start of the season and who has averaged 10 games a season for the last 3 years... Guess our hope is that him and Dissly sync up their injuries so we have one available at all times.