NFL Thread 2019

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Who’d have thought as well that the AFC South would have two divisional round teams? Two teams from the NFC North and West is, broadly, expected (minus the Saints perhaps for one of them). But two teams from the AFC South given the state of that division in recent times is interesting.
Was saying the same to a colleague today, certainly unexpected. Lot of credit has to go to Vrabel, they miss the playoffs if he doesn't have the guts to bench Mariota midseason. And with the Texans, you just never know once they get in. We blow hot and cold so often that we're capable of beating pretty much everyone, but the problem is that we rarely string together 2 or 3 all-around good performances. Even last weekend was pretty awful through 2,5 quarters before we got going, less than 100 yards in the first half.

If Luck hadn't retired, the AFC South would've been a very interesting division this year.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Was saying the same to a colleague today, certainly unexpected. Lot of credit has to go to Vrabel, they miss the playoffs if he doesn't have the guts to bench Mariota midseason. And with the Texans, you just never know once they get in. We blow hot and cold so often that we're capable of beating pretty much everyone, but the problem is that we rarely string together 2 or 3 all-around good performances. Even last weekend was pretty awful through 2,5 quarters before we got going, less than 100 yards in the first half.

If Luck hadn't retired, the AFC South would've been a very interesting division this year.
Certainly regarding Luck.

And in terms of Vrabel, I agree too. They’ve done a great job with Tannehill, and as much as I hate to say it, his head coaching in the playoff game vs us was veteran. Really top class. Good and bold decisions, used the rules to his advantage, and was as cool as a cucumber given it was his playoff debut and it was at Foxborough.

The Texans are a funny team. You’re right in how you blow hot and cold. You’ve got some really good talent on both sides of the ball. Sometimes I do find it difficult to assess BoB and what to make of him. Sometimes I feel like he’s doing a great job and sometimes I wonder wtf went wrong.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
As an Eagles fan I am very pleased that cowboys chose McCarthy. Decent coach but nothing special

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Can you buy out head coaches in the NFL? Never really heard of that, but surely Jerry Jones has the money to go after any guy he'd like if that's the case.

DavelinaJolie

Gotta say, as a Ravens fan I dreaded the Titans being the match up. Teams that come on hot as the year ends, and that rushing attack... The Ravens run D has been mediocre this year, with quite a few yards after contact due to bad tackling. Henry is a damn scary proposition. Guess it's going to be man coverage in the back and stack the box for this.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Gotta say, as a Ravens fan I dreaded the Titans being the match up. Teams that come on hot as the year ends, and that rushing attack... The Ravens run D has been mediocre this year, with quite a few yards after contact due to bad tackling. Henry is a damn scary proposition. Guess it's going to be man coverage in the back and stack the box for this.
Yeah, Smith/Humphrey/Peters should be more than capable of stopping the Titans WRs, just like the Pats did last week. I don't see them causing you that many problems, you'll just run away with it and force Tannehill to keep up, which he'll struggle with imo.

They're not gonna be able to stop Jackson, which will ultimately decide the course of the game.

JoaquinJoaquin

The positive is that Tannehill looked like crap against the Pats, and now there is even more pressure on him. So if the Titans need to throw at some point, I think you have the advantage.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
McCarthy is an uninspiring hire for me. Another yes man for Jerry, IMO. They only interviewed him and Lewis, the latter for the obvious reason. Will Cain called McCarthy a Garrett plus-plus. NFC East is weak so division titles should be expected. But then what? More one-and-dones? No coach has ever won a SB as HC for two clubs. So Jerry et al is banking on McCarthy being the one to set a new mark?

To be fair (letterkenny voice over), I'm not sure any HC can win with Jerry. He's Al Davis mark II.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Can you buy out head coaches in the NFL? Never really heard of that, but surely Jerry Jones has the money to go after any guy he'd like if that's the case.
You can trade for them. I thought the dark horse for the Dallas job was actually Sean Payton.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Funnily enough, in my original post, I actually typed "guess I'm a glory hunter" then removed it.

It was more about Montana's calmness under immense pressure, though I could say anything and you'd say "yeah, whatever glory hunter"? :)
I missed the Montana era, I started following the Niners (and the sport) in 1998 so it was Steve Young for me.

After the 6 years we’ve been through I’m not anybody can call us glory hunters tbf. :lol:

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
49ers.

When NFL first kicked off in the UK in the 80s (Channel 4), loved watching Montana.

(Also liked the history of the Steelers and The Immaculate Reception).
That's how and when I started too. First game I saw on TV was 49ers vs Rams and just went for the Niners. Admittedly was spoiled with our success over the next few seasons, but the last few years have made up for that!

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So the Giants want to speak with Garrett. NFC East trying its best to stay bland.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Interesting. Two of the best HC in the league right now originate from special teams, and the Pats' ST was excellent this season...

Meanwhile the Panthers have hired Matt Rhule as their new HC. Know next to nothing about him except that he transformed Baylor into a good team apparently.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Rhule is intense, detail oriented, borderline insane, and great at changing a team’s culture. That said, he’s not a big departure as a disciplinarian from Rivera so I don’t love the fit.

The Browns should’ve looked into hiring him or Rivera, but I think they’re going in another direction.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Rhule is intense, detail oriented, borderline insane, and great at changing a team’s culture. That said, he’s not a big departure as a disciplinarian from Rivera so I don’t love the fit.

The Browns should’ve looked into hiring him or Rivera, but I think they’re going in another direction.
Apparently very interested in Jim Schwartz at the moment.

edcunited1878

Interesting. Two of the best HC in the league right now originate from special teams, and the Pats' ST was excellent this season...

Meanwhile the Panthers have hired Matt Rhule as their new HC. Know next to nothing about him except that he transformed Baylor into a good team apparently.
Special teams coaches have the unique say to work with players from both sides of the ball and P/K positions. So they have an understanding and demand of players from all 3 phases of the team and they have to scheme using players from both sides of the ball. Typically, O and D coordinators don't have interaction with the other side of the ball. In addition, Special Teams coaches have to work and communicate with the other position coaches to get an understanding of certain players who are worth being on special teams units. Their POV is unique and they have a solid understanding of the entire team having to work with both coaches and players from all phases of the game.

Hephaestus

Browns wanted to speak to Rhule but he declined the interview.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It’s weird as a Broncos fan not thinking about either coaches or QB at this time of year.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I missed the Montana era, I started following the Niners (and the sport) in 1998 so it was Steve Young for me.

After the 6 years we’ve been through I’m not anybody can call us glory hunters tbf. :lol:
You'd have thought after Montana, they couldn't have another QB to compare but then they go straight into Young.

Has there ever been another team who had two back to back greats?

Mighty Boosh

Judge was also the Pats WR coach and that group was absolutely horrific this year! Must admit I don't know a lot about him though but Giants job looks a decent one on paper with the pieces they have in place. However it's Gettleman and Mara that could ruin it for him.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
The question is was Garrett hindered by Jones or is he just an average coach.

The problem is, Garrett just isn’t an inspirational hiring. I think the Browns need someone inspirational.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
The question is was Garrett hindered by Jones or is he just an average coach.

The problem is, Garrett just isn’t an inspirational hiring. I think the Browns need someone inspirational.
They need someone that can pull the dressing room together, and Garrett would do that.