N'Golo Kanté

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I don't think there's anything to this rumour but if Chelsea are open to selling him to us that should be a huge red flag right there. Why would they strengthen a rival like that?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
really wish we signed him from Leicester. Im sure Chelsea went for him uncontested

-Supreme-

He’s not been great from what I’ve seen for Chelsea, he’s been deployed as a B2B midfielder but his passing and attacking play is below average.

Does anyone know why Chelsea aren’t using him as a DM?

shahzy

Has everyone suddenly forgot that Kante's best position is a box to box midfielder. Not an out and out CDM which Matic is much better at

UmbroDays

Nope. Nope. Nope.

United have been suckers since SAF left and we buy at ends of careers or the height of wages.

Why are we the only ones recently that haven’t been finding the diamonds in the rough recently e.g the Kante earlier in his career, Salah’s, Davidson’s of the world? We seem to just got for the obvious expensive choices s.g Sanchez, Di Maria, Falco, Wan Bissaka, etc.

Let’s look on the continent for the next gem. Not someone who may have not much more in the tank.

TheLord

Would take him in a heartbeat. He’s a class act in central midfield - just need to be more disciplined in his position - lately I’ve seen him trying to be a #10 far too often (too advanced for my liking) and frequently losing possession.

Zlatattack

Why bother when we could try for Partey or Ndidi? Kante was an excellent player, but i don't think he can maintain that level of energy and drive for much longer. I hope he proves me wrong and goes on to have an excellent top level career.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Like the great DJ Khaled says, "another one"
Well, Kanté at least has a proven record with him :) We don’t have anyone for Matuidi’s role though (although someone like Ancelotti would’ve probably tried out one of VDB/Fred on the left).

I thought he was much older than 29.

I wouldn't want him now. He covers a lot of ground and carries the ball well, whilst not doing a huge amount with it. We already have Fred for that and he is better in possession than Kante.

eire-red

Kante hasn't been the same since Sarri came in and placed Jorginho in that deeper holding role. He's looked lost in that Chelsea team for a couple of seasons now.

Watch the match back against WBA, Kante played in a holding 2 with Kovacic, and there was so much space in the middle of the pitch for WBA to counter time and time again. He's past it, and we're fools if we stump up big cash for him, and don't strengthen in other areas instead (RW and CB).

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No matter how great he is... we don't need him here. We need a younger version of him next year, and that is Ndidi.
Whilst I love the idea of Kante, a younger version does make so much more sense, and should be one of the main targets next Summer.

RedNed77

Not the same player as the one that won back to back PL titles. On the decline and almost 30 now. He isn’t getting back to his title winning form, the only way is down from here and the club don’t want to be getting tied down to another player on 200k a week that they can’t get off the books. These types of signings are not the way forward, have the fans not learned anything since SAF retired?
This, it’s got Woody deadline day panic buy written all over it though. I’d rather we didn’t buy anybody than a deal like this.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Make it happen agent Woodward. Bring the prodigal home here. Either him or Kane.

Canagel

This is how you know a lot of supporters don't watch football. Kante has been mediocre to average for the best part of two years while being awful on the ball and not even that good defensively.

His prime years are over

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why are we starting a thread from a mirror link?

weizxx

Can't believe so many people don't want him here. Not long ago he was viewed as the best of the world in his postion

Bwuk

He's not a #6. He wouldn't solve any of the issues we have. He'd be an upgrade on Fred/McTominay, but doesn't solve the issue we have in midfield.

Pagh Wraith

I wrote this before some months ago I think, but I'd definitely sell if a good offer came in, if I were Chelsea. Kovačić/Jorginho is their best midfield two I'd say and Kanté leaving would free up a lot of money they could spend on a younger midfielder. Rice is decent and has very good ball retention and pressure stats but a ball-winner (which is the gap Kanté would leave) he is not.

And if I were United, I would not buy. Wrong age, on massive wages and a concerning injury record. But then again, it'd be a typical United signing in a way.

Josep Dowling

I find it strange how he’s not rated anymore. Is it his fault that Sarri bought in Jorginho to take his place? There was absolutely no reason why Sarri did that and ultimately pushed Kanté into a position he couldn’t play.

I’d take Kanté in a heartbeat. Might get the best out of Pogba to.

Murray3007

wouldn't go near him to be honest, aint a DMC for a start which is what we are needing more then anything, add in he is rather limited in a lot of his game, what is he 29/30ish starting to pick up more and more injuries, seems against the grain of what we are trying to build here.

lysglimt

Scout
I would prefer if we signed Declan Rice, then give Chelsea Money to buy Declan Rice

Robbie Boy

I would prefer if we signed Declan Rice, then give Chelsea Money to buy Declan Rice
Let Chelsea blow money on the bang average Rice so we don't eventually get conned into spending mega money on him. I agree that we shouldn't go near Kante as his peak was a 3 year spell and he's been wank for ages now. Extremely limited player - at the age of 29/on huge wages - who would have to be shoehorned into the side. No thanks.

Last edited:

poleglass red

In lieu of not getting a new centre half, as it likely seems in this window, I'd be all over getting Kante. The lack of protection from our midfield is woeful, watching Matica and Pogba on sat v Brighton trying to track back on the occasions that they actually did was poor. That aspect of the game is not natural to any of them, Matic likes to play as holding mid, where his positional sense is good, but once that is passed, he's toast. The added mobiltiy and defensive coverage a player like Kante would bring would be crucial.Pogba as we know needs to play further up the pitch, if we we play him at all.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
With the way Lampard, and Sarri before him, set up its hard to see where Kante figures in that ,while being able perform to his absolute best.
If Chelsea get a good offer then they'll atleast look at it. I just hope that offer isn't from us,though.

Status
Not open for further replies.