N'Golo Kante (appreciation thread)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How highly do you rate him ? I know hes loved over in france. That was evident from the wc celebrations.
I mean, he is great. There isn't really an other rating option.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The main quality of Kanté isn't his energy, it's his vision and anticipation during transitions. Energy and speed are only added perks, I assume that later in his career he will mainly play like Makélélé which is the role that he has with France.
Oh yeah I agree he reads the game well and tackles effectively, but he covers so much ground and has such an all action style I think he might find it hard to adjust.

He probably won't slow down until his mid 30's anyway so I doubt Chelsea will be worried too much.

JPRouve

Scout
Oh yeah I agree he reads the game well and tackles effectively, but he covers so much ground and has such an all action style I think he might find it hard to adjust.

He probably won't slow down until his mid 30's anyway so I doubt Chelsea will be worried too much.
From what I have seen, he has no issue adjusting to it. The issue is more for us because we like that all action style and miss it when he doesn't do it.

Dozer

Haven't read the rest of the thread. Just popped in to say I have a man-crush on him.

He's a beast, albeit a miniature one. Could play for any club in the world.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Haven't read the rest of the thread. Just popped in to say I have a man-crush on him.

He's a beast, albeit a miniature one. Could play for any club in the world.
He surpassed Pogba as my favorite player to watch.

Jimmy_Bond

If you said we could choose one player in the world to sign I'd be choosing this guy over anybody else.

Would take us from top 4 contenders to comfortable qualifiers in no time, and leave us only a player or two from being major challengers for the league and CL.

Shame we couldn't get him the summer he went to Chelsea.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Great player, seems a great person off the field too.

Would be nice if we had an appreciation thread for one of our own (current) players. But I can just imagine how quickly it would transcend into negativity. :nervous: Guess they first need to earn it, I suppose.

The most recent one I’ve seen was a Valencia one, because he’s left. :lol:

JPRouve

Scout
I still don't understand why Real Madrid spent that much on Hazard instead of targetting Kanté, he was the perfect remedy for their pedestrian midfield and Vinicius was good enough on the left, it's the right wing that they need to improve.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I think he's just an amazing footballer. Has so much quality on and off the ball.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Be interesting to see if lampard puts him alongside jorghino with essentially 2dm and mount (or Barkley?) In front of them

Or if he gives him the freedom sarri did

In my mind he's the world best DM and has been for a few years ... If Chelsea don't qualify for cl next year I suspect he won't be short of offers

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Be interesting to see if lampard puts him alongside jorghino with essentially 2dm and mount (or Barkley?) In front of them

Or if he gives him the freedom sarri did

In my mind he's the world best DM and has been for a few years ... If Chelsea don't qualify for cl next year I suspect he won't be short of offers
There was a good balance last night in a more free flowing 3 rather than the structured 1 regista and 2 CM's under Sarri. Think it's fair to say Chelsea know the value of Kante and it would take an astronomical fee to prise him away.

PaulBe

Supports
French squad
For the one who was asking a proof for Kante's disease during the WC final.

Here it is:
(remove the space after the "h")

It's from Guy Stephan, the assistant coach of the French squad. And if you don't understand french, he is saying that indeed Kante felt poorly during this game.

SambaBoy

If you said we could choose one player in the world to sign I'd be choosing this guy over anybody else.

Would take us from top 4 contenders to comfortable qualifiers in no time, and leave us only a player or two from being major challengers for the league and CL.

Shame we couldn't get him the summer he went to Chelsea.
This. He would transform our midfield.

Obviously there are better/more talented players out there but for what we need right now, he would be ideal.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Shit technique? Those nutmegs and that crossfield pass with his weaker foot which was pin point to left edge of the box was sheer class.

He’s not a flamboyant player technically but he’s solid as feck, a minimalist who has excellent ball control in tight spaces, efficient short passer and through the lines and when he does decide to display it has a okay shot but in terms of winning the ball and keeping it - he is undeniably world class.

I actually expect him to kick on this season and reinforce the fact that’s he’s a top class player with more strings to his bow by showcasing more of his attributes with the ball.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Him and Pogba will settle our midfield core for years to come. I'd even take him ahead of Modric, Kroos, Iraamendi....Irramendi.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Him and Pogba will settle our midfield core for years to come. I'd even take him ahead of Modric, Kroos, Iraamendi....Irramendi.
More chance of us signing Pogba than you signing Kante! Pogba said he wants a new challenge, right? Straight swap for Bakayoko sounds reasonable and Pogba is back at a Champions League side.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
More chance of us signing Pogba than you signing Kante! Pogba said he wants a new challenge, right? Straight swap for Bakayoko sounds reasonable and Pogba is back at a Champions League side.
your squad's a bit thin so how about we give you Sanchez, Rojo, Jones and Matic back for good measure for him. Thanks.

EDIT: Feck it, Young too.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
You must be mistaken. It was Lingard who said He wanted a new challenge, Darmian as well.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Not only is he a great footballer, he is made from titanium. For a little guy he gets stuck in and even though he was injured for the Utd game he came on and picked up another knock and still had a super game against Liverpool 3 days later.

He is a diamond out on his own.

LiquidSnake

I actually expect him to kick on this season and reinforce the fact that’s he’s a top class player with more strings to his bow by showcasing more of his attributes with the ball.
He always has been a tidy player with very good technical abilities in close control... But his showcase against an opposition of the level of Liverpool was phenomenal... I think too he will have a top top season.

Nowadays though (especially in England) if you play an advanced role in midfield if he doesn't score 15 goals and 15 assists people will say how much out of position he's playing, regardless of what you're bringing to your team...

Good thing that his parents are from Mali then.
:lol::lol::lol: I don't know where this Congolese thing came from... It can't get anymore typically Malian name as Kanté :lol:

Raw

Anyone who won the league with Leicester is a legend no ?
It was a legendary occurrence for sure, but I wouldn't say the likes of Vardy, Mahrez and Kante are legends because of it (though they'd definitely be Leicester legends). It was the collective team that was legendary rather than the individuals.

To get in the best 11 you'd have to be absolutely extraordinary for several years, there's players like Keane, Makelele, Vieira, etc who'd get in ahead of him. Though I would say he's close.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Would he get in an all time premier league 11? He’s achieved things his competition couldn’t dream of.
Not for me. No better than Gerrard, Keane, Scholes, Vieira, Lampard, Toure.

I like Kante but I think he's over rated due to him being so small and likable. BT were even highlighting that he was man marking Van Dijk and going oh look how adorable that is! (even though he had his arms wrapped around him and it was technically a foul, if Smalling did that we'd never hear the end of it).

for a CM his attacking output isn't brilliant, goals and assists are quite low.

He's obviously a water carrier and a fantastic one at that, but his all round game isn't good enough to be a best 11 for me IMO.

Last edited:

dabeast

$32m for Hazard, $32m for Kante to Chelsea. Which other deals have we missed out on in that range?

JPRouve

Scout
:lol::lol::lol: I don't know where this Congolese thing came from... It can't get anymore typically Malian name as Kanté :lol:
Yeah, if you hear Dembélé, Keita, Traoré, Diarra or Kanté, it's most likely a malian or the family's roots are from Mali.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I still don't understand why Real Madrid spent that much on Hazard instead of targetting Kanté, he was the perfect remedy for their pedestrian midfield and Vinicius was good enough on the left, it's the right wing that they need to improve.
Because....i dunno :(. Would have cost upwards of €200m likely?

JPRouve

Scout
Because....i dunno :(. Would have cost upwards of €200m likely?
Honestly even at that price, for you he was worth it because I believe that he is exactly the type of midfielder and character that your team needed. Hazard is a great player but from what I have seen Vinicius create chance with ease from the left side and in my opinion your biggest issue is your transition without the ball, currently you are one of the worst team in that aspect of the game.

It's not sexy but if I was Zidane this first eleven would have been my short term dream:

------------Jovic
Vinicius----Kroos----Bale
-------Kanté-Casemiro
Mendy-Ramos-Varane-Miliao
------------Navas

Florentino would weep every night but from what I have seen in the last months, Marcelo, Modric, Carvajal and Courtois have been terrible and they are massive liabilities in transition.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Hazard is a great player but from what I have seen Vinicius create chance with ease from the left side and in my opinion your biggest issue is your transition without the ball, currently you are one of the worst team in that aspect of the game.
You really can’t expect Vinicius to lead the team this season. He’s not ready yet and he lacks consistency, and with aging Benzema and forgotten Bale they lack a star man upfront.

Kante would be a great addition to any team, but I’m not sure if he’s the difference between a successful and unsuccessful Real Madrid.