N'Golo Kante (appreciation thread)

RUCK4444

You should've bought him then rather than spending similar money on Henry Mhkitiakdjdksjf. Chelsea paid his release clause, you could easily have done the same!
Nah like others said he wanted to go to you guys for whatever reason.

I was only wumming with the why Chelsea line btw, but it does pickle my brain a bit when foreign players have their own desired club that isn’t one of the traditionally ‘big’ teams.
I mean do many French kids Kante’s age support Chelsea?

Assuming your from London/UK it’s like you growing up supporting PSG or Dortmund. Just genuinely interests me.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

I was only wumming with the why Chelsea line btw, but it does pickle my brain a bit when foreign players have their own desired club that isn’t one of the traditionally ‘big’ teams.

Assuming your from London/UK it’s like you growing up supporting PSG or Dortmund. Just genuinely interests me.
I don't think he joined us because he was a Chelsea fan (although when he was young, we'd have had the likes of Desailly, Makalele & Anelka so I'm sure he would've had some level of interest) but he does get the train over to Paris a fair bit. London itself is a draw.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Players born in the 90s would have grown up seeing Chelsea successful.

I think in Kate's case he wanted to play for Conte which swung it in our favour but if players in his age said they grew up at Chelsea fans/admirers it's hardly stretching plausibility.

RUCK4444

I don't think he joined us because he was a Chelsea fan (although when he was young, we'd have had the likes of Desailly, Makalele & Anelka so I'm sure he would've had some level of interest) but he does get the train over to Paris a fair bit. London itself is a draw.
Yeah perhaps I'm underplaying the lure of various factors such as past players and the location.

I just remember something about the transfer where the narrative was he was determined for it to be Chelsea for his next move, which surprised me a bit.

Plus I was feckin bitter about not getting him. :( Awesome player.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Our best player I thought. Shame he couldn't
Defend drive up the field cross AND THEN score himself.

Remember the geese

He was ok. A couple of sloppy moments on the ball in the first half. One in his own defensive third that he was lucky to get away with and another on the counter when he put too much pace on it for Werner.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
He was our worst player when we were on top and our best player when Real Madrid were on the front foot.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Werner was shit.
Made some decent runs in the first 20 minutes but yes he was poor. For me though Azpi was our worst player on the night; looked off the pace. Understandable as I don't think he has the legs to play as a RWB at this point, especially for the second time in 4 days. That said, I think Tuchel was worried about Vini isolating 1v1 against Azpilicueta and as such moved him out of that RCB slot. Thought Christensen was imperious on the night generally.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Made some decent runs in the first 20 minutes but yes he was poor. For me though Azpi was our worst player on the night; looked off the pace. Understandable as I don't think he has the legs to play as a RWB at this point, especially for the second time in 4 days. That said, I think Tuchel was worried about Vini isolating 1v1 against Azpilicueta and as such moved him out of that RCB slot. Thought Christensen was imperious on the night generally.
Nah he was fecking shit. Getting sick of him missing sitters.
Azpi held it OK but shouldn't have played rwb again but as you say (bar the shit defending on the goal) the 3 cbs in open play were good.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Nah he was fecking shit. Getting sick of him missing sitters.
Azpi held it OK but shouldn't have played rwb again but as you say (bar the shit defending on the goal) the 3 cbs in open play were good.
Agreed Werner was poor. Still for me Azpi was worse; Werner was creating a lot of the space Pulisic was able to find between the lines, for instance. Won't deny we looked better with him off and Havertz moving all over the place though.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Agreed Werner was poor. Still for me Azpi was worse; Werner was creating a lot of the space Pulisic was able to find between the lines, for instance. Won't deny we looked better with him off and Havertz moving all over the place though.
One of giroud or tammy need to play imo in the second leg. We need a player to stay in the box.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
One of giroud or tammy need to play imo in the second leg. We need a player to stay in the box.
Disagree. Madrid have to attack and will have to leave spaces behind. Giroud is someone I'd only use when we have 70%+ possession - don't think he offers anything in open play at this point given how immobile he is.

I'd probably start with Havertz - Mount - Pulisic personally - think that's probably our best front 3 at the moment both on and off the ball.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Disagree. Madrid have to attack and will have to leave spaces behind. Giroud is someone I'd only use when we have 70%+ possession - don't think he offers anything in open play at this point given how immobile he is.

I'd probably start with Havertz - Mount - Pulisic personally - think that's probably our best front 3 at the moment both on and off the ball.
We need a striker that's gonna finish in the Box.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon

I'd go for Mount, Havertz & Ziyech. I feel Ziyech is far better at pressing and nicking a ball in the final third. But I imagine Ziyech will play against Fulham because Pulisic looked knackered and then Pulisic gets in for the second leg.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I'd go for Mount, Havertz & Ziyech. I feel Ziyech is far better at pressing and nicking a ball in the final third. But I imagine Ziyech will play against Fulham because Pulisic looked knackered and then Pulisic gets in for the second leg.
I wouldn't play both havertz and ziyech from the start. We saw that at Brighton we lose too much pace

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Some horrendous passing from him tonight.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
We need a striker that's gonna finish in the Box.
We need a striker who can run from our half to the box first! Really can't see Giroud playing a role unless we're chasing the game in the closing stages and putting their area under siege. Certainly wouldn't start him when it's Madrid who have to score and not us.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Pulisic seems to have a developing relationship with Havertz, while Werner and Ziyech have shown a good understanding with each other. Mount fits in with either pair.

I'd go with either Pulisic, Havertz, Mount or Werner, Ziyech, Mount. I trust whatever Tuchel puts out there though. He has rarely gotten it wrong.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Still appreciating. Powerful malteser.

The funny thing is that he has a full head of hair, much like Ashley Young. He chooses baldness.

AgentSmith

Sensational tonight, perfect big game player. Tuchel utilises him in a way that maximises his strengths and he’s an absolute monster when he plays like that.

el3mel

Absolute machine tonight. I thought he was done for previously but he has been back to his best last few months.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s weird how some managers recognise what he’s good for and how to bring the best of out him and manage to cash in on that whereas other managers just don’t see it and fail miserably.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Tremendous performance over both legs.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s a fantastic player. Ties like these show you just how much better he is than some of the above average box to box CMs we’ve had who get compared to him.