N'Golo Kante

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Giving that we'll be putting a lot of funds into other players, providing the scouts and coaches are happy with his fitness, I would have him for 15 to 20 million pounds personally. Deep lying playmaker would be De jong, with Garner as backup, box to box would be Kante with McFred as back up and attacking mid would be Bruno and DVB fighting it out.
Kante is not a DM, he's a box to box midfielder.
He'd be a stopgap solution for a couple of years while fix the rest of squad.
He'll bring much needed great character, quality and experience to the team.

ForeverRed1

Some fecking rebuild that is where we sign a 31-year-old injury prone player. Chelsea wouldn't be selling him if they believed he's still got it at this level. Instead they are going to off load him to the Manchester United Retirement Home and use the funds to buy the next Kante.

The more things change the more they stay the same with this club.
We need depth, he won’t cost loads because his contract is nearly up and he can be rotated and used wisely. Wouldnt surprise me if he’s a stop gap until we can go all in for Declan rice who will be too expensive this summer. Next season we could potentially have rotation of kante and rice which wouldn’t be bad at all. Massive upgrade

We’re not going to get every top target in one summer. We will need to get some cheaper short term deals done for next season, or free transfers as we’re going to lose around 10 players.

AndySmith1990

I'd take him for a reasonable fee (~20m) He'd be a huge upgrade on McTominay and it would give us a couple years to find a long term replacement

LoneStar

People on the other thread comparing De Jong to Di Maria. Which I don’t think is fair, given the other variables involved. But this one sounds eerily similar to Matic. Ageing Chelsea midfielder, who at his peak is class, but is now declining and can’t replicate that level if played for every game. I can see him going the same trajectory as Matic. Comes in all guns blazing, but slowly starts declining and has to be managed very carefully (which Ole didn’t do well with Matic).

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Don't see us selling him for a fee others would accept paying even with only a year left. Physically he seems to be in decline, probably goes on a free transfer next summer.

Surely his engine will begin to suffer greatly in to his mid thirties and without that not enough there for a very top team.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
People on the other thread comparing De Jong to Di Maria. Which I don’t think is fair, given the other variables involved. But this one sounds eerily similar to Matic. Ageing Chelsea midfielder, who at his peak is class, but is now declining and can’t replicate that level if played for every game. I can see him going the same trajectory as Matic. Comes in all guns blazing, but slowly starts declining and has to be managed very carefully (which Ole didn’t do well with Matic).
Matic was fecking 28 when he signed for United. Ageing my arse.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
And everyone knows that 29 is the new 40 on the caf.
I know it's a running joke but there is no rule that fits all. So it's always better to avoid players in their last 20s.

You take Modric who is still class when he is 36 and then Matic who was already past his peak when he hit 30.

IMO Liverpool have the right approach, they don't sign young players, they don't sign old players. They sign players with good experience with good years ahead of them, who are hitting good numbers in their analytics.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Never been his biggest fan even in his pomp so at this point it would be a massive massive no from me. Injury prone and not good enough on the ball for what we need.

LoneStar

Matic was fecking 28 when he signed for United. Ageing my arse.
The point is his peak was quite clearly behind him. Why would Chelsea be willing to sell him to a rival otherwise?

Ageing doesn‘t mean he’s a grandpa. It means his fitness and physicality is going down.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah with Matic it was the £40m that did the trick. Chelsea would have preferred to keep him but when United offered that much, Matic was like 'damn they want me that badly, let me go please' and Chelsea were like 'would be stupid to turn down this kind of offer for Matic'.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Every player is different and clubs can make mistakes in judging the future ability of ageing players. Milan let Pirlo go due to age and he went on to be even better at Juve at the age of 32.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Every player is different and clubs can make mistakes in judging the future ability of ageing players. Milan let Pirlo go due to age and he went on to be even better at Juve at the age of 32.
Pirlo joined Juventus for free so it’s a good and reasonable gamble. Chelsea wouldn’t let Kante go this summer for free, thus, what coming out of the transfer fees budget would be considered as waste of money aka bad investment if it doesn’t work out like Pirlo. Basically, the board can’t have these excuses again thinking that the club had invested transfer fees in signing DM (Kante) so we are good to go for the next 3-4 years without signing a DM like what happened to Matic.

croadyman

Agree with those who say they would take him as a stop gap until Rice price drops

BarstoolProphet

Always been a huge fan but his injury record is so concerning that I don't want United to try to sign him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We need depth, he won’t cost loads because his contract is nearly up and he can be rotated and used wisely. Wouldnt surprise me if he’s a stop gap until we can go all in for Declan rice who will be too expensive this summer. Next season we could potentially have rotation of kante and rice which wouldn’t be bad at all. Massive upgrade

We’re not going to get every top target in one summer. We will need to get some cheaper short term deals done for next season, or free transfers as we’re going to lose around 10 players.
An injury prone 31 year old work horse is useless. I'd rather see us sign a young player on the cheap (ex sangare).

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Pirlo was never a work horse

Oranges038

His whole game is based around being able to cover ground. Injuries are starting to rack up now. One to avoid.

poleglass red

Love this player, but I think this ship has sailed. The time to get him, was when he left Leicester.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I never said he was, I was just saying that for every Matic there can be a Pirlo, not all players drop off a cliff at 30.
You missed the point. Work horse player has style of play that relies so much on physical and fitness. As player gets older, their physique and fitness might be on declined. Injury is also one of the consequences.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
You missed the point. Work horse player has style of play that relies so much on physical and fitness. As player gets older, their physique and fitness might be on declined. Injury is also one of the consequences.
If the club signing a declining Kante means McTominay will be pushed further back in the pecking order, then I am all for it. He is still better than what we currently have in the middle and will be fairly cheap.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If the club signing a declining Kante means McTominay will be pushed further back in the pecking order, then I am all for it. He is still better than what we currently have in the middle and will be fairly cheap.
Are you still all for it if we need to pay £30m transfer fees with 350k p/w wages on 3-4 years contract?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Opting to sign Kante over a DM who is physically capable of playing more regularly guarantees McTominay more opportunity to play.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Linked to Arsenal now. If they're getting rid, I'd quite like us to take him. If we're not signing a bona fide DM he'd fit the bill much better than most other central midfielders, with his incredible work rate.

phelans shorts

Linked to Arsenal now. If they're getting rid, I'd quite like us to take him. If we're not signing a bona fide DM he'd fit the bill much better than most other central midfielders, with his incredible work rate.
His work rate has been falling off a Cliff, his legs are going and he’s currently Chelsea’s highest paid player. We’d be paying massive money for a crock who’d need replacing within a year.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Yes, let's go for a player who's trending downwards physically for a few years now and will be on high wages. What can go wrong.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
His work rate has been falling off a Cliff, his legs are going and he’s currently Chelsea’s highest paid player. We’d be paying massive money for a crock who’d need replacing within a year.
This true @duffer ?

Yes, let's go for a player who's trending downwards physically for a few years now and will be on high wages. What can go wrong.
Didn't know he was their highest paid player but he's got a year left on his deal and is now 31. It's pretty unlikely he'd get a similar deal for 3 years or so, and the games he's managed aren't that few.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
His legs haven’t gone and his work rate is still as good as it ever was. When he’s fully fit he’s still an amazing player. The issue is just that he’s more prone to niggling muscle injuries now that constantly disrupted his season last year.

I think a summer without international football will do him a whole lot of good. Expecting a great season out of him.

mu4c_20le

They're just getting linked to DMs because the party is almost over.

Ted Lasso

We're just a couple years too late. It would be like the Matic signing. He could give us a good year's worth of performances across the contract but don't think he'd hold up as a starter. And like others have pointed out, wages are pretty high.

I'd still take him if he's open to a lesser role.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

They're just getting linked to DMs because the party is almost over.
Arsenal are desperate it seems. You are right some party went wrong. Arsenal why not try to sign ward prowse but try to sign kante. They are trying to fool their fans.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We're just a couple years too late. It would be like the Matic signing. He could give us a good year's worth of performances across the contract but don't think he'd hold up as a starter. And like others have pointed out, wages are pretty high.

I'd still take him if he's open to a lesser role.
If Chelsea are looking to shift him, he's likely looking to get his last decent pay day, which would likely be significantly lower than 290K (if he's really on that), but he might hold out for a 3 year deal. Given we're linked to absolutely no one, besides Paredes, I'd definitely take him. If he continues to manage around 30 league games that would be great. Also an outstanding character.

Blood Mage

The closer the start of the season gets and we still haven't landed FDJ, the more tempting this will be providing Chelsea are willing to be reasonable.

NoLogo

He is certainly not in his prime anymore but could still do a job for a couple more years I feel. Just look at Modric who is still running around for 90 minutes without pause at the age of 35. I think pace and accelration is something that will go with age but stamina can pretty much be maintained up till your mid 40s.

Ted Lasso

If Chelsea are looking to shift him, he's likely looking to get his last decent pay day, which would likely be significantly lower than 290K (if he's really on that), but he might hold out for a 3 year deal. Given we're linked to absolutely no one, besides Paredes, I'd definitely take him. If he continues to manage around 30 league games that would be great. Also an outstanding character.
There is something to be said about having a premier league winner and WC winner of his character in the squad. Not to mention, if you like sporting serendipity he does have a knack for winning the league when he transfers