N'Golo Kante

Nero

And then in 1-2 years time we can go through the process of having to rebuild our midfield again. Marvellous.

Teja

Love this player, but I think this ship has sailed. The time to get him, was when he left Leicester.
Criminal that we weren't even in for Mahrez or Kante or even Vardy. I don't know how you can watch a side like that and be like eh, it's fine, we're good.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
And then in 1-2 years time we can go through the process of having to rebuild our midfield again. Marvellous.
Rebuild? De Jong would be the central figure in a new midfield. You'd rather see us pair him with Eriksen in midfield, or Donny? I wouldn't.

Nero

Rebuild? De Jong would be the central figure in a new midfield. You'd rather see us pair him with Eriksen in midfield, or Donny? I wouldn't.
I'd rather seem him paired with someone who won't need replacing in a year or two.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
I think the whole antivax stance has killed this transfer in any case, but he's really not what we need at the moment. Our midfield needs long term starters.

croadyman

I think the whole antivax stance has killed this transfer in any case, but he's really not what we need at the moment. Our midfield needs long term starters.
Yeah he's football's version of Novax Djokovic

Canagel

Sad news for him.

He may have declined but he is still a big game player. Likely would have been his last world cup too.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I doubt he would have been a starter anyhow,

Red the Bear

Something less generic
That's sad :(
He's one of the few players that I like, shame we won't be able to see him this coming tournament.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Great player at his peak... past that but still a top player
Probably not worth the money / risk but could see him going to psg on a free and having a good couple of seasons for them

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This is why it would have been a huge gamble to pay Chelsea like £50m this summer for him.

He's been a great player for them but his body has started to fail him, there's no coming back from that.

Canagel

I doubt he would have been a starter anyhow,
He would have been a starter. Its a World Cup. Big game pedigree and know how is invaluable at that level and he has plenty of it.

Irrational.

This is why it would have been a huge gamble to pay Chelsea like £50m this summer for him.

He's been a great player for them but his body has started to fail him, there's no coming back from that.
With his style of play, this was bound to happen. Some midfielders get better at this age, like your Kroos and Modric types, but for midfielders whose game relies on intense pressing, harrying and non-stop combative action - their peak is often short lived and they tend to decline much sooner.

Perhaps this also explains Liverpool’s demise this season.

Kante is a lovely human being and was world class in his prime, but sadly he is done. And I’m very relieved we didn’t fork out for him this summer.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
His contract is us at the end of the season. I can see it not getting renewed.

Absolutely fantastic player for us but looks like we need to move to life after Kante.

PoTMS

Hopefully he won't go to Liverpool and do a Milner once Klopp gets him on the pumps.

Champ

He would have been a starter. Its a World Cup. Big game pedigree and know how is invaluable at that level and he has plenty of it.
No way, not over the young talent the French have.
He would have been a sub ready to come on to solidify the middle.
They won't miss him that's for sure!

Skills

Snitch
No way, not over the young talent the French have.
He would have been a sub ready to come on to solidify the middle.
They won't miss him that's for sure!
He's always been a bit of tactical problem for them imo. It's hard to fit him in because he's not a defensive midfielder, which is what they really needed especially with Griezman as a 10.

Deschamps did well to balance that team with Matuidi playing that hybrid role.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Would take him on a free transfer in the summer for sure, especially on a contract that's incentivised heavily on playing time. He's a great character with vast experience in winning things. Same age as Casemiro too.

Abraxas

Some people will take anyone who was good once because they're free. Even though most of the time you still have to pay them like a free agent that's coming to one of the world's biggest clubs to attract them.

He's past it. He's an old 31 because of his game. If he's starting to pick up injuries he'll decline even faster from here on.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Some people will take anyone who was good once because they're free. Even though most of the time you still have to pay them like a free agent that's coming to one of the world's biggest clubs to attract them.

He's past it. He's an old 31 because of his game. If he's starting to pick up injuries he'll decline even faster from here on.
Once good? The last I saw of Kante this season he is still an elite midfielder. Fans just think any one who doesn't have an aesthetically pleasing game like FDJ is crap. I'd take him over FDJ any day of the week, especially as a squad player.

Abraxas

Once good? The last I saw of Kante this season he is still an elite midfielder. Fans just think any one who doesn't have an aesthetically pleasing game like FDJ is crap. I'd take him over FDJ any day of the week, especially as a squad player.
Aesthetically pleasing - also known as what this team actually needs I would suggest. We've got plenty of workhorses now, it's the quality that's probably lacking especially when Eriksen isn't available and I'm pretty sure one man that doesn't share your view is the manager.

Champ

This would be the sort of deal that United fans would be up in arms with had it been a 31 year old injury prone United player.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This would be the sort of deal that United fans would be up in arms with had it been a 31 year old injury prone United player.
I don't know. I'm pretty happy about this, but then there are Chelsea fans who think this is a stupid thing to do.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
If he's on £15-20m a year, that's a lot of money tied up for someone who is injured most of the time. When we could get another top player in. If he's going actually going to be fit to play at least most of the time..., renewing makes sense. With our injury problems generally and his record recently, seems quite a big if.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Sounds like his time at Chelsea and in England is coming to a quiet and sad end.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Glad we dodged that bullet, even if a decent number of caf users didn't want us to. :nervous:

You can buy a lot of Mini Coopers with that Saudi money.