N'Golo Kante

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He’s 31, and has looked knackered at times this season. Chelsea probably can’t believe their luck.

Ibi Dreams

It would be hilarious if Matic left and we went and signed Kante from Chelsea. The mere fact that Chelsea are apparently happy for him to leave tells you everything

Orange Tree

Is this another case of we scouted 1001 DMs and we end up with a 31 year old and on the decline player?

Zoo

It would be hilarious if Matic left and we went and signed Kante from Chelsea. The mere fact that Chelsea are apparently happy for him to leave tells you everything
Tuchel isn’t to be fair

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
This feels like a Woodward signing. Big name past his prime available on the cheap.

ti vu

While I can't dismiss the feeling about us doing some stupid deals (in recent past), in this case, if Kante available for cheap, he'smore likely to move to PSG (previously linked with him a lot), or Tottenham. Not just CL football, but somewhere he would feel more comfortable. London, Paris vs Manchester. Having previously work under Conte vs start of a project under ETH.

Canagel

That last sentence, don’t be ridiculous. I’m going to assume it’s a joke?
No, Kante has not been consistent and outside of a couple of great CL performances in 2021 has been poor and inconsistent. It's just not reported so people just assume he is great based off his past reputation and name.

Stadjer

Getting Kante when he is not at the peak of his powers anymore and while Pogba (who shines with Kante next to him) is leaving... seems like smart business

shaky

Who says we're second guessing ETH? We know he doesn't have sole control over the transfers at this club, just a say in them. Which may well see him acquiescing to club signings he isn't overly keen on due to limited alternatives as presented to him by the club, as previous managers like LVG told us he had to. It doesn't follow that just because we're interested in or indeed sign a player that he was one ETH was overly keen on or that it's a reflection of what he actually wanted us to do in the transfer market.

You mention Perisic but we could equally point to Cavani, a player who was barely able to play due to injury issues in just his second season at the club and has added to our transfer issues this season as a result. A signing Rangnick reportedly pointed to as an example of the sort of short-sighted approach we shouldn't be taking in the transfer market.

These are the mistakes we were supposed to be learning from, yet some people seem keen to make them again for the sake of another aging injury-prone player with name recognition value.
If we sign Kante for name recognition value, then obviously nothing has changed with the club's philosophy and we will continue to fail. I'm fairly hopeful that they've finally realised this way isn't going to work though. If we sign Kante because ETH wants him and thinks he can do a job, then I'm fully behind it.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This is the signing we needed to make when we still had pogba. I dunno if Kante will be good for us now.

Utuhu

We should be realistic that we are not currently attractive to attract the top talents that we need. Apart from Tchouameni, I don't see much quality CDMs out there.

Kante will be a cheap and quality short term solution to our CDM position issues while we plan for a quality replacement for the future. I am in.

Devil may care

If Ten Hag wants an all action lawnmower midfielder than get Laimer or Enzo Fernandez, you just know if we buy Kante it will end up like Schweinsteiger and Matic, especially the former given Kante's injury issues which you know will only worsen here.

didz

No way Chelsea let him go, surely? He's had some injuries and some struggles coming back from injuries, but I don't think that constitutes this "decline" a lot of people are going on about. People thought he was in decline a couple of years ago and he came back stronger than ever - I wouldn't bet against him doing it again.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No way Chelsea let him go, surely? He's had some injuries and some struggles coming back from injuries, but I don't think that constitutes this "decline" a lot of people are going on about. People thought he was in decline a couple of years ago and he came back stronger than ever - I wouldn't bet against him doing it again.
On one hand it's Kante, who has been one of the best at what he does for years.
On the other hand we bought Matic in similar circumstances at a younger age, with Chelsea fans saying he was on the decline, and while he had some good spells, we spent most of the time moaning that he didn't have the legs, and would have been better years before.

Rossa

On one hand it's Kante, who has been one of the best at what he does for years.
On the other hand we bought Matic in similar circumstances at a younger age, with Chelsea fans saying he was on the decline, and while he had some good spells, we spent most of the time moaning that he didn't have the legs, and would have been better years before.
Completely different physique on the two of them. Look at Modric at 36 who is much more similar physically to Kante.

I’m not particularly for this move, but comparing to Matic seems wrong.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Completely different physique on the two of them. Look at Modric at 36 who is much more similar physically to Kante.

I’m not particularly for this move, but comparing to Matic seems wrong.
Chelsea midfielder past his peak is the link.

Idxomer

Ten Hag has a habit of buying older players who are seemingly on the decline or not that great to begin with and getting out of them more than most people expect.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Why would they sell other than for injuries, which is exactly why we should avoid him? Why would he want to leave to come to us?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Is Kante at 31 past his peak? I think Ronaldo was past his peak from 28-36.
It's not an age thing it's a personal situation thing.
Kante certainly isn't the machine he was.

Is he better than McFred in that position though. That's a certainty.

KeanoMagicHat

Some people here would honestly give out about any signing. Outside the box signings are unproven, someone from a weaker league is a ‘hipster signing’ or ‘know it alls’ want him. And then the most decorated and proven midfielder we could possibly buy and he’s too old…

Trophy Room

Some people here would honestly give out about any signing. Outside the box signings are unproven, someone from a weaker league is a ‘hipster signing’ or ‘know it alls’ want him. And then the most decorated and proven midfielder we could possibly buy and he’s too old…
And injury prone*

BlahRules

Peter Walton stuttering to make up this shit sound like the referee's decision is correct

ROFLUTION

Signing a 31 year old would only make sense for some silly american owners, trying to over-compensate and show a big name

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Been wondering when this one would appear - we've bought Chelsea "sells offs" before and no one can say they were a resounding success (sadly). That said, maybe this is where we are at present...

lysglimt

Scout
Kante is on his way down as an all-action harasser and haranguer of the ball and opposing players - continually using him in this way will only hasten his injuries and degrade his output even more. He'll roll back the years and still have some performances Fred can only dream of per season, but they will not be the norm.
Did you see him against Liverpool ? He was basically the same as he was the last 3-4 years. He did things in terms of pressing and harassing no player in our team is close to doing

lysglimt

Scout
One of Ralf's issues was signing older players for short term gain...i have to agree with him and Kante would fall into that category.

Improving the United midfield isn't difficult, there is so many options which would improve the team. No need to take a risk on Kante imo.
Like we did with Van Persie ?

Superden

He played more for Chelsea this season than mctominay did for us. The idea that he's washed up and utterly past it is ludicrous.

Rolaholic

He played more for Chelsea this season than mctominay did for us. The idea that he's washed up and utterly past it is ludicrous.
He was also the best player and big match performer during a CL winning run just a year ago. Like I've said, we could do so so much worse than Kante this summer.

Would be the best DM at United post-Fergie by a country mile and if ETH rates and thinks he can get the most out of him then I'd trust that.

KeanoMagicHat

Anyone who watched United play Chelsea at Old Trafford last month surely saw he’s not finished as a player by any means.