N'Golo Kante

gorky_utd

Buying kante means no change in transfer policy. Old players on big wages. Next is who? dybala I guess. Won't be surprised if the board wants big names to attract sponsors while telling everyone that ETH wanted them.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Buying kante means no change in transfer policy. Old players on big wages. Next is who? dybala I guess. Won't be surprised if the board wants big names to attract sponsors while telling everyone that ETH wanted them.
With Pogba, Cavani, Matic, Lingard and Ronaldo off the books you have room for a ton of wages I guess.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We've been desperate to put midfield right for so long. Let's not make the mistake of bringing in someone who has to be "managed properly" in the face of mounting injury issues.

Whoever we sign to improve our midfield defensively, I want them to be robust and durable enough that we can rely on them to play game after game with minimal rest. Not leave us in a situation where we'd have to keep turning to McTominay or Fred more than we'd like.

Dan_F

I’m pretty hopeful the club has learnt it’s lessons and ETH himself will surely be pushing for younger players who are more likely to adapt to his way of playing.

We’ve gone from having a young team to probably being one of the older squads in the league. Even outside of the ones leaving this year, a lot of our players are entering their prime years (Lindelof, Shaw, Varane, Maguire, Fred, De Gea, Bruno, Bailly).

The younger squad players (below 25) like Dalot, AWB, Rashford, McTominay are all ones that the fans would like to see sold. It’s going to need a full squad change in 3 years if we keep signing this profile of player.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Cant understand why some fans still wants us to walk the same path as before after 9 years of misery. Kante is on the decline, and want massive wages. Take a chance with Kamara for free instead. If he doesnt work out we can sell him for 20m and get someone else.

Lee565

No thanks, will be another matic situation, how about buying a young talent that can tie us over for a decade in a position we have form of neglecting and still have resale value in 8-10 years time instead of having to replace kante in two years time and the only way to move him on being for free due to big wages, over the hill at that point and constantly injured.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We can't just sign a load of 20-24 year olds. We do need some experience. Wouldn't be adverse to this signing, provided we don't keep resigning him on bigger wages and move him on when his legs fully go.

laughtersassassin

I don't think they are. I'm struggling think of another current player closer in playstyle to Kante than Fred - and the stats pretty much back that up.

Kante carries the ball a bit more and is better at it, but that's about the only difference in style. You can say Kante's currently better, and Kante was certainly far better before this season, but I don't think they're different types of player at all.
I'd say Kantes defensive ability is much more consistent based in watching them both.

Fred gets bypassed a lot

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The Matic comparison is understandable, but falls flat when you highlight some important differences:
  1. Kante deserved a ballon d'or last season, Matic was nowhere near as good before we signed him.
  2. Matic got old really fast. It happens, but in no way is such a sharp decline at 30 the norm.
  3. Matic was pretty good for a while when we got him. He hasn't been a bad signing by any means, and this French bloke is even better.
  4. We're actually in the position that we could use some short term fixes to save money. That wasn't the case when we signed Matic imo.

hobbers

Anyone happy about the idea of us spending money on a 31 year old in decline, who’s been injured on and off for half the season, is clearly incapable of learning anything from the last decade.

The only way this would be a deal that makes sense is if he were free.

flappyjay

Anyone happy about the idea of us spending money on a 31 year old in decline, who’s been injured on and off for half the season, is clearly incapable of learning anything from the last decade.

The only way this would be a deal that makes sense is if he were free.
If he were free and were adding some extra quality on an already quality team. I see it also in the Koulibaly thread, a lot of people in this forum don't admit to the fact they love it when the club hands out big contracts to players on the decline. Take Pogba, Cavani and Matic off the big wages and add Ngolo /Koulibaly. I wanted both few years ago but not today.

Nick.

I feel like getting Laimer would be a more sensible way of getting a player of this midfield profile in.

FujiVice

Possible that Ten Hag thinks some leadership qualities and experience is needed in the side with the likes of Matic, Mata etc leaving the dressing room and not having a strong captain. Kante alongside someone younger for a year or two isnt the worst idea in the world.

Josh 76

I thought he was.

If he's staying to play in the Europa for the first time in his career then fair play to him.
If he don’t want to play for Utd he can feck off, Europa league or not.

Cathy Ferguson

The Matic comparison is understandable, but falls flat when you highlight some important differences:
  1. Kante deserved a ballon d'or last season, Matic was nowhere near as good before we signed him.
  2. Matic got old really fast. It happens, but in no way is such a sharp decline at 30 the norm.
  3. Matic was pretty good for a while when we got him. He hasn't been a bad signing by any means, and this French bloke is even better.
  4. We're actually in the position that we could use some short term fixes to save money. That wasn't the case when we signed Matic imo.
I agree with this. Kante on a decent fee will be a good signing. We do not have 300m to spend on players and need 5-6 quality players. The math is simple.

lex talionis

Brilliant, but in decline. If ETH thinks he can build a squad capable of winning the PL next season and if thinks Kante is a piece of that puzzle, I’m on board. But I seriously doubt he thinks he can put together a PL winning squad next season and of that’s the case Kante just isn’t a player for future.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
I don’t want Kante because that could mean Pogba stays. Add that to Kante being 30 and although a world class player, we need to be moving in the opposite direction. Younger, and perhaps a player that hasn’t already won it all where he will come with some hunger to prove himself.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Better than what we have currently stinking the place up.

Would be a solid stop gap for a couple of years if we cannot sign the required player this summer.

Not sure we have this type of player ready to make the step up from the reserves either. So if we can get him relatively cheap, on decent wages and not on a longer than 2+1 contract, I’d take a punt.

We’re not going to be able to sign every player we want this summer, a low risk, low value signing like Kante would be shrewd. Whilst he is not a muppet signing, he’d improve us a lot in the middle of the park.

hobbers

We’re not going to be able to sign every player we want this summer, a low risk, low value signing like Kante would be shrewd. Whilst he is not a muppet signing, he’d improve us a lot in the middle of the park.
If Chelsea demand £30-40m for him, and Kante expects a 3 year contract that matches his current £280k wages (wage cost of £45m)...

What part of that is low risk low value?

Meanwhile Kamara is an actual free agent, 22 years old, and currently earning about £40k a week.

SungSam7

One thing for certain, signing Kante, you know what youre getting for a couple of years.
1. A guy who has no record of being a disruption in the team.
2. Keeps to himself when it comes to the media.
3. Seems like a genuine nice guy.
4. A player who can actually play football and is something we have been lacking, a ball winning midfielder who will cover every blade of grass.

Id sooner pay a transfer fee and his salary before id give his french fraud compatriot a new contract.

Cloudface

All of those who are acting like we sign geriatrics in midfield all the time are a bit wide of the mark. Since Fergie we have bought:

13/14
Mata 25
Fellaini 25
14/15
Herrera 24
Blind 24
15/16
Schneiderlin 25
Schweinsteiger 30
16/17
Pogba 23
17/18
Matic 28
18/19
Fred 25
19/20
Bruno 25
20/21
VdB 23

It's hardly a list of especially old or poor players. Just the wrong fits. If Kante's injury issues this season are deemed short term then I think he'd be a great buy to work with a De Jong or a player of a similar profile.

Edit: Not to mention he embarrassed our midfield not a few weeks ago.