NHL 2023/2024

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think we'll be looking at EA to be including the latest McDavid move in NHL20 as it will take so long to be able to put it in. What a play, apart from the hatty on the first night he's been decidedly ordinary since then, as have the whole of the Oilers. The Cambot seemed to back in goals tonight, which is always a good thing and the bounce of the puck apart from the Blackhawks goal went our way. Onwards and upwards is all I can say.

In football terms, McDavid is like the best version of KDB and the best version of Hazard rolled into one. The boy is ridiculous.

I'd argue he is the best in the league now.

Jagga7

Can Drouin be that guy though? It seems like an odd experiment, when you already have an exciting center in the squad. I don't think Bergevin has done/is doing a good job of managing the squad.
Galchenyuk isn't good enough to be top line centre, he's been awful and playing 4th line atm. It's probably best he gets traded away and starts fresh elsewhere.

Tribec

In football terms, McDavid is like the best version of KDB and the best version of Hazard rolled into one. The boy is ridiculous.

I'd argue he is the best in the league now.
Although Connor himself argues against that idea, he still claims Sid is, with each passing game it's getting harder and harder to argue against. I've never seen anyone play like he does with his pace. I'm starting to plan a trip to take in a few Oilers games, and want to see him close quarter. I saw Gretz, Mess and the rest of the Dynasty team play back in the day (I'm old), I guess seeing McDavid will be like watching Messi or Ronaldo after watching Best, Cryuff and co. All the skills but at a greater pace.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Galchenyuk isn't good enough to be top line centre, he's been awful and playing 4th line atm. It's probably best he gets traded away and starts fresh elsewhere.
Do you think Drouin is?

Galchenyuk has been quite badly mismanaged so far in his career. He could be the top line center and do it well, if given time and opportunity. Signing Drouin to play center, it's pretty obvious the Habs management agree with you.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Although Connor himself argues against that idea, he still claims Sid is, with each passing game it's getting harder and harder to argue against. I've never seen anyone play like he does with his pace. I'm starting to plan a trip to take in a few Oilers games, and want to see him close quarter. I saw Gretz, Mess and the rest of the Dynasty team play back in the day (I'm old), I guess seeing McDavid will be like watching Messi or Ronaldo after watching Best, Cryuff and co. All the skills but at a greater pace.
You have a whole decade (and more) to watch McDavid. I'm envious of you Oilers fans. I watch Edmonton games just for him these days.

Jagga7

Do you think Drouin is?

Galchenyuk has been quite badly mismanaged so far in his career. He could be the top line center and do it well, if given time and opportunity. Signing Drouin to play center, it's pretty obvious the Habs management agree with you.
Galchenyuk is definitely talented but it's not happened for him in Montreal, as you said he's been mismanaged. I think a trade would be good for him to kick start his career.

Drouin is definitely talented enough but honestly this Habs team is awful. Outside of the top of the top line they really don't have a lot. They're centre options are Drouin, Gal, Plekanec and Danault, it's not exciting stuff!

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Galchenyuk is definitely talented but it's not happened for him in Montreal, as you said he's been mismanaged. I think a trade would be good for him to kick start his career.

Drouin is definitely talented enough but honestly this Habs team is awful. Outside of the top of the top line they really don't have a lot. They're centre options are Drouin, Gal, Plekanec and Danault, it's not exciting stuff!
I would rather get rid of the management than trade Galchenyuk. I find Bergevin to be an erratic GM with unreliable decision making. Realistically, you are right, I think Galchenyuk will be gone within the next 18 months.

Two years ago, my two favourite players on the team were Subban and Galchenyuk. SUbban was chased out of town, and now Chucky finds himself in a precarious situation. It would break my heart to watch him destroy the league for another team.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Galchenyuk stays on the first line, for the moment.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Galchenyuk stays on the first line, for the moment.

That line struggled to generate any offense against the Kings, but it is the best we have. I need Pacioretty to start firing.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Anaheim 6-2 Montreal, 7th consecutive loss. Officially one of the worst losing streaks Habs history. Dreadful stuff.

JPRouve

Scout
That's what happens when you can't control the center in offense or defense, at this point they are arguably the worst team in the league.

JPRouve

Scout

That's an interesting shuffling.

Jagga7

That's an interesting shuffling.
The teams a mess! Galychenyuk and Scherbak are skill fowards, what's the point of throwing them on the 4th line?

Incidentally Sergachev has started really well for Tampa but obviously he's in a much better set up.

JPRouve

Scout
The teams a mess! Galychenyuk and Scherbak are skill fowards, what's the point of throwing them on the 4th line?

Incidentally Sergachev has started really well for Tampa but obviously he's in a much better set up.
Your first sentence says it all. Objectively who are the 4th liners in here, Byron and Shaw?

Jagga7

Your first sentence says it all. Objectively who are the 4th liners in here, Byron and Shaw?
Yeh they would be the prototypical 4 line grinders, but I can see why they have moved Byron up, he has great speed and has been one of their better players for the last year and a bit.

I guess they have to try something after such a bad start to the season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Habs 5-1 Panthers. I didn't watch the game, so I have no real comment on the line shuffle. Two much needed points. Kings on home ice next. I hope we can build some momentum.

Tribec

The Oilers scramble a win against the Stars last night, nice to see not only a win but we finally got more than 2 or 3 goals. McDavid is starting to score again, plus finally RNH seems to want to grab points

Jagga7

Montreal, another pitiful performance, giving Arizona there first regulation win all season. Shocking stuff.

Tribec

Some crazy scorelines last night, Montreal in double figures, and a rather odd Battle of Alberta. The Oilers without Talbot nearly let a huge advantage slip. They haven't got a decent back up to Talbot, Brossoit isn't confident and though he did well, once the Flames got to him he lost it. Still it was a fun game to watch especially after watching the United game yesterday.

Tribec

This year's Oilers are by far the most infuriating team I think I've ever seen. I could take them being bad for 10 straight years, because they were bad and didn't deserve to even be near the play off's for 9 of them (the other being the lock and Kruger had them doing OK). This year though, they can play as badly as any of the 10 years and the next remind everyone why they ran to the play-offs last year and talked of being cup contenders this year.

After a woeful showing this week following on from last weekend's BOA win, they turn in a show against the Habs, and ran Price out of the goals. I wait and see what happens tonight vs the Leafs, in some respect it's time for McD to put Matthews in his place, but we'll probably get the bad Oilers back.

Tribec

4 wins in a row for the Oilers, and we are beginning to look a lot like the Oilers from last year. We've given ourselves a huge task, but all we need is a wild card place and no one will want us in the play offs. Not sure I want McDavid blocking shots like he did last night, but that's in a perfect world.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Nice, didn’t realize the caf had an NHL thread. Went to the Nucks game last night

...dominant 6-2W against the Kings. Boeser is just a blessing from the heavens, an absolute God. Caps game I went to a month or so ago we won 6-2 as well (which was also Dorsett’s final game before he had to unexpectedly retire due to health issues). Used to be a STH but didn’t renew a couple seasons ago after things became stale and prices were still mighty expensive, and don’t have the time to nowadays. Pick and choose games every here and there.

Bo+Boeser will be 2 pillars for the franchise for years to come. And we still have Demko+Pettersson waiting to make the roster in the coming years :]

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I'm in NY for a week until the 15th of April, and was hoping to catch a game. Seems last game of the season regular is the 7th, before I get there.
It might be close. The Rangers and Islanders are likely to be lower seeds if they make it at all. Google says the playoffs start on the 11th. So the NY teams would be away 11/12 and home 14/15. Or away 12/13 and home 15/16. New Jersey might be a good option for you.

Be prepared to pay a decent amount but the atmosphere will be great.

donkeyfish

It might be close. The Rangers and Islanders are likely to be lower seeds if they make it at all. Google says the playoffs start on the 11th. So the NY teams would be away 11/12 and home 14/15. Or away 12/13 and home 15/16. New Jersey might be a good option for you.

Be prepared to pay a decent amount but the atmosphere will be great.
thanks! I guess I'll have to wait a bit and see.

Deleted member 101472

thanks! I guess I'll have to wait a bit and see.
If its an islanders game you get to see, pay whatever they ask. John Tavares is one of the very few players that its easy to notice just how good he is.

Jagga7

If its an islanders game you get to see, pay whatever they ask. John Tavares is one of the very few players that its easy to notice just how good he is.
You can add Barzal to the list. He's been incredible in his rookie season.

Tribec

I feel like a road trip around my birthday is in order... Oilers playing there final pre season game in Germany, then the opening two games of next season in Sweden against the Devils. Got to get myself some tickets for that one.

Also going to say on reviewed calls the Oilers are now 0-14, how can this be so? How can they claim no call on Talbot by the Ducks in the play offs and then give interference for the McDavid incident on Thursday? Thankfully we won the shoot out and McDavid chirped and got a 10 min penalty to boot. The Oilers beating the flames never gets boring, it's like watching United beat Liverpool or City.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Skill competition is starting any moment now.

...flashback to 2 years ago when John Scott made it despite the league actively trying to deny him. Won the 3on3 tourney with Team Pacific and won MVP :drool:

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Boeser winning the new accuracy shooting

Even broke one of the target plates causing a delay

:D:D

Tribec

Boeser winning the new accuracy shooting

Even broke one of the target plates causing a delay

:D:D
That was quite impressive, mind I think being the first person to win back to back fastest skater is even more impressive. It's no surprise that no one really wanted to enter the competition with McDavid around.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
That was quite impressive, mind I think being the first person to win back to back fastest skater is even more impressive. It's no surprise that no one really wanted to enter the competition with McDavid around.
Yep he’s just too much

Unless he stumbles or something it’s his for the next 5+ years easy lol

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Boeser with the GWG for Team Pacific vs Team Central

1:45 left or so and sniped it bar top corner...we’re so lucky to have him in Vancouver, what a player!

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Wes McCauley goal review announcements: legendary :lol:

Kucherov beasting, hatty