NHL 2023/2024

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Game 7s in ice hockey are probably the most exciting ones out there but I really wouldn't mind the Blues finishing it off in 6 this time :D

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
History seems to favor the Bruins. So does that thing called 'mo'.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/06/10/game-7-history-favors-bruins-over-blues-in-stanley-cup-final/

--That begins with all-time playoff history. When a team has won Game 6 on the road to force a Game 7, that team has gone on to win the series 58.5 percent of the time (38 out of 65 times).

Bringing that to the Stanley Cup Final specifically, a road team winning Game 6 on the road to force a Game 7 has ended up winning the series four out of five times.

Overall, home teams in Game 7 of playoff series own a 104-73 record (.586). In Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final, home teams own a 12-4 record (.750).--

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Blues goalie is having a worldy tonight.

Marchand also made a bonehead move going for a line change after messing a check in his own zone during a Blues break. They scored as Marchand was leaving the ice and his replacement was racing to help.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Congrats to the Blues, another title drought that's finally over. Just a bonus that it happened in a Game 7 at the Garden :D

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Really happy for the Blues, to turn things around like they've done over the past 5 months is an amazing accomplishment.

Jagga7

Binnington was instrumental in the Blues turn around. Incredible rookie year for him, they finally have found a bonafide no1 goalie.
Such a long wait until the new season now. :(

Skåre Willoch

:(

A hard fought, and lucky, win for the Blues. Incredible performance by Binnington.

The only upside I can think of right now, is that I don't hate the Blues. Seems like a good organization with a sympathetic fanbase. Also, they have some of the nicest uniforms in sports.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
:(

A hard fought, and lucky, win for the Blues. Incredible performance by Binnington.

The only upside I can think of right now, is that I don't hate the Blues. Seems like a good organization with a sympathetic fanbase. Also, they have some of the nicest uniforms in sports.
But not the nicest :drool::drool::drool:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They were dead last in january. NHL makes no sense :lol:

BlueHaze

Playoffs, man. Total lottery, kinda like domestic/continental cups. I'd wager the NHL is the least likely American sport to see the top regular season club take home the league championship.
Actually funny how almost every expert was predicting Tampa to win it only to get first rounded by Columbus. I don't think a single person thought the Blues would win it so fair play to them. Actually happy they won as I hate the Bruins.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Playoffs, man. Total lottery, kinda like domestic/continental cups. I'd wager the NHL is the least likely American sport to see the top regular season club take home the league championship.
It's not just about playoffs though. NHL is totally random. Tampa wins 60 games and gets swept in the first round. Blues dead last in january winning the cup.

I think this is what true parity looks like. Completely random

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Stevie Y goes completely off the board with his first pick as Detroit GM. Love it.

He has picked up some solid talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Albin Grewe probably won't be anything more than a 3rd liner but he plays with such an edge to his game. Going to be a relentless forechecker.

Season 2019/2020

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This one is surprising enough to be posted. GMs don't like that.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This one is surprising enough to be posted. GMs don't like that.

On the surface, Canes can easily match that, but they won't like having to give up so much in year 1.

I love the drama that comes with offer sheets. The contract is low enough for Canes to match, but it's so front loaded structurally. It's a pain in the ass for the Canes.

JPRouve

Scout
On the surface, Canes can easily match that, but they won't like having to give up so much in year 1.

I love the drama that comes with offer sheets. The contract is low enough for Canes to match, but it's so front loaded structurally. It's a pain in the ass for the Canes.
Yeah, I think that the owner will agree to pay the signing bonus. But the length is also an issue, he is going to be a very young UFA and Carolina have almost no chance to keep him beyond that. In the end it's a vicious deal that Bergevin offered, Montréal can easily pay the signing bonus and they can also upgrade that contract in 5 years, none of these things are obvous for Carolina and they have to carefully think about it even though the salary isn't actually high.

massi83

Yeah, I think that the owner will agree to pay the signing bonus. But the length is also an issue, he is going to be a very young UFA and Carolina have almost no chance to keep him beyond that. In the end it's a vicious deal that Bergevin offered, Montréal can easily pay the signing bonus and they can also upgrade that contract in 5 years, none of these things are obvous for Carolina and they have to carefully think about it even though the salary isn't actually high.
They have nothing to think about. They will match it. Yes, it is a shit contract for them, but losing Aho for little compensation is worse. Their own fault for being too cheap.

JPRouve

Scout
They have nothing to think about. They will match it. Yes, it is a shit contract for them, but losing Aho for little compensation is worse. Their own fault for being too cheap.
Of course they have to think about it, it's the owner decision, due to the signing bonus, not the GM and the owner is stingy. I'm sure that they are going to match it but it's not actually that straightforward.

massi83

Of course they have to think about it, it's the owner decision, due to the signing bonus, not the GM and the owner is stingy. I'm sure that they are going to match it but it's not actually that straightforward.
It is easiest decision an organisation can have. They have a question on their twitter; "should we match", choices are: Yes and oui. They made their mind in 1 second. They will just wait the time they can, to feck up Montreal.

JPRouve

Scout
It is easiest decision an organisation can have. They have a question on their twitter; "should we match", choices are: Yes and oui. They made their mind in 1 second. They will just wait the time they can, to feck up Montreal.
I know all the PR that they are doing but that's just PR. And Montréal have cap room, so they can stall all they want it won't change much, that comment by Waddel is actually a tell, he knows that Montréal have no cap issues and can target other big UFAs during the week if they want, this comment was for his fanbase more than anything else.

massi83

I know all the PR that they are doing but that's just PR. And Montréal have cap room, so they can stall all they want it won't change much, that comment by Waddel is actually a tell, he knows that Montréal have no cap issues and can target other big UFAs during the week if they want, this comment was for his fanbase more than anything else.
If they were not going to match, it would be biggest PR mistake since Suarez t-shirts. Owner is stingy, but this is about cash flow more than dollars, it is not hard for a billionaire to get a loan.

I can give you 3 to 1 odds, if some of the mods will escrow, up to 2.000€.

JPRouve

Scout
If they were not going to match, it would be biggest PR mistake since Suarez t-shirts. Owner is stingy, but this is about cash flow more than dollars, it is not hard for a billionaire to get a loan.

I can give you 3 to 1 odds, if some of the mods will escrow, up to 2.000€.
What are you arguing about? We both agree that they are going to match it, the only difference is that I said that it wasn't as easy to swallow for them while you say that it is easy. Carolina have to take terms that they allegedly didn't want to offer, 5 years instead of 7 years and they have to also pump a lot of money in the first 2 years, money that the franchise doesn't have and that the owner will have to bring forward. They are going to match it but they are not going to be happy about it.

massi83

What are you arguing about? We both agree that they are going to match it, the only difference is that I said that it wasn't as easy to swallow for them while you say that it is easy. Carolina have to take terms that they allegedly didn't want to offer, 5 years instead of 7 years and they have to also pump a lot of money in the first 2 years, money that the franchise doesn't have and that the owner will have to bring forward. They are going to match it but they are not going to be happy about it.
This we are in total agreement of. I was arguing about the fact if they needed to think about it or not. But I guess it is close to semantics.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It's competitive suicide if they don't match it.

The owner will have to dip into his pockets to help out though, at least for the next 12 months, as the Canes as an organisation don't generate anywhere near enough money to absorb the first year signing bonus plus the salaries of rest of the roster. If everyone else's reaction was "Canes will match it, no problems", Bergevin would have initially thought that too, which makes me wonder if he knows something we don't.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
It's competitive suicide if they don't match it.

The owner will have to dip into his pockets to help out though, at least for the next 12 months, as the Canes as an organisation don't generate anywhere enough money to absorb the first year signing bonus plus the salaries of rest of the roster. If everyone else's reaction was "Canes will match it, no problems", Bergevin would have initially thought that too, which makes me wonder if he knows something we don't.
Yup, particularly when the alternative was an offer sheet for Point, he seems to think that Carolina are more vulnerable and that the signing bonus is the key element.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yup, particularly when the alternative was an offer sheet for Point, he seems to think that Carolina are more vulnerable and that the signing bonus is the key element.

It's a ballsy move. I didn't think Bergevin had it in him to be this aggressive, but I guess if you don't spend what you have, and leave salary cap space unfilled for several seasons, and then not make the playoffs in those seasons, you find yourself backed into a corner where you're forced to flex your muscles and throw your weight around.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Dundon is stingy but he's loaded. I guess you don't get as rich as him by throwing money around willy nilly though.

I thought the Canes would be delighted with that deal mind. Surprised Aho signed it. Thought he'd get 10m AAV.

Hopefully helps Leafs get Marner a bit cheaper but his reps will point at AM (rightfully so)

JPRouve

Scout
Dundon is stingy but he's loaded. I guess you don't get as rich as him by throwing money around willy nilly though.

I thought the Canes would be delighted with that deal mind. Surprised Aho signed it. Thought he'd get 10m AAV.

Hopefully helps Leafs get Marner a bit cheaper but his reps will point at AM (rightfully so)
The deal isn't really good due to the length, it was apparently the main issue in their negotiation. Carolina wanted a longer deal.