NHL 2023/2024

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
They've appointed the coach of their minor league team. :lol:

MLSE going with the Nick Nurse approach. I'm sure it'll work wonders. :lol:
I think it will

Bringing in a coach with the same
Philosophy as the GM finally playing to the strength of the players.

Will be a whole lot better than Babcock and his stubborn old ways.

Last edited:

Tribec

How the hell does Kassian get 2 games for hitting a turtle?? One dangerous hit which was missed, then targeting the same guy over and over, all it's going to do is getting head knocked off. Hardly any player past or present seem to think what Kas did was wrong, most are having a go at turtle of being a rat.

On the plus side, McDavid is being McDavid again and scoring highlight reel goals for fun. That goal against Toronto was a thing of art, and yet he made look so easy. We are coming to the end of the Crosby/Ovi era and they've been special players, but McDavid just seems to that bit more special than either of them.

Tribec

Throw back hockey night at the Battle of Alberta, tons of goals, even more fights, a line brawl, goalie fights and 5 misconduct penalties and a penalty shot. One thinks those who paid the money got the money worth out of that one last night... Oh and to make it even more old school the Oilers whooped the Flames back side.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Gallagher lost his mind.:lol:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Hopefully means the Blackhawks get an entry. Might be the NBA go down the same route once they re-start again.

Tribec

Hopefully means the Blackhawks get an entry. Might be the NBA go down the same route once they re-start again.
Blackhawks are in the prelim round, but that's as far as they'll go. Dr Drai and McJesus will see to that..

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Somehow Montreal find themselves in the playoffs. I love it :lol:

JPRouve

Scout

30 out of 600 players have tested positive.

Tribec

So the worse kept secret in hockey is out, welcome to the Krakens, I like the logo and word mark, the colours are great and the jersey is OK, but it feels like they ripped the original Oilers third jersey a little.

Skåre Willoch

Yeah, everything turned out way better than I expected. Logo, colors, jerseys, etc. I like the name, even. Good for Seattle, and hockey, to get another northern team going. I reckon they'll be a hit.

As for the playoffs, I reckon the Bruins will go deep this year, with both Chicago and Pittsburgh doing a lot better now than in regular season. Experience really comes in handy at this point. Jets, maybe? I like Blake Wheeler a lot. I hope Wild does well, with Zuccarello playing there, but I have my doubts.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So the play-offs kick off in a couple of days.

There's a couple of friendly warm-up games first. Leafs-Habs tonight.

Tribec

Yeah, everything turned out way better than I expected. Logo, colors, jerseys, etc. I like the name, even. Good for Seattle, and hockey, to get another northern team going. I reckon they'll be a hit.

As for the playoffs, I reckon the Bruins will go deep this year, with both Chicago and Pittsburgh doing a lot better now than in regular season. Experience really comes in handy at this point. Jets, maybe? I like Blake Wheeler a lot. I hope Wild does well, with Zuccarello playing there, but I have my doubts.
I was with you till you suggested this. Having watched the BOA this morning, it's clear that the Oilers allowed the Lames to come onto them after going 2-0 up, giving them some practice for the Hawks coming at them in the games coming up. We were no where near 100% and whilst the 4-1 win was a bit generous, the win wasn't. I'm confident that the Hawks without Seabrook and Crawford questionable won't be the force that they could have been.

Skåre Willoch

I was with you till you suggested this. Having watched the BOA this morning, it's clear that the Oilers allowed the Lames to come onto them after going 2-0 up, giving them some practice for the Hawks coming at them in the games coming up. We were no where near 100% and whilst the 4-1 win was a bit generous, the win wasn't. I'm confident that the Hawks without Seabrook and Crawford questionable won't be the force that they could have been.
Yeah, you might be right. Those two out might prove to be too much.

About the Oilers, they might do very vell themselves. Drais and McDavid can both win games on their own, and a fully rested team might be just what they need for a deep push. I doubt they have good enough depth, though. That's where Boston really seem a class above. Great 1st five, and very good lines all the way through 4th.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Kind of a mixed bag for the Habs last night. They looked really good in phases. Leafs are a very clinical team. The PP continues to haunt the Habs.

JJ12

Happy with Leafs display. Reilly and JT looking much better is a huge boost. One game and all that so pinch of salt.

Robertson will hang around that’s for sure.

JJ12

Couldn’t have put more boring comms on could they

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Tough going for the Oilers so far. Midway through the 2nd period 5-2 down. Absolute dagger to concede literally moments after pulling it back to 4-2. Hawks look very good, to be fair.

Edit: I haven't watched much the Hawks. Surprised to learn they've been so average this sesson. They've looked excellent tonight.

Last edited:

edcunited1878

Tough going for the Oilers so far. Midway through the 2nd period 5-2 down. Absolute dagger to concede literally moments after pulling it back to 4-2. Hawks look very good, to be fair.
Chicago have a lot more jump and are playing on the front foot. They look so much more solid defensively and special teams are carrying the Hawks.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Chicago have a lot more jump and are playing on the front foot. They look so much more solid defensively and special teams are carrying the Hawks.
The scoreline doesn't flatter them at all.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Getting in there before the inevitable Pens comeback. MTL 1-0 up at the end of the first period. Petry is doing a very good job on containing Crosby. Pens look really good, but so far so good by the Habs.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Weirdly lethargic 2nd period so far from the Pens. Suzuki has just put MTL 2-0 with a sniper shot. The Habs look assured in defence.

Considering it's the best of 5, taking game 1 could be humongous.

Edit: just as I was typing that Crosby makes it 2-1.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Pens are piling on the pressure. It's 2-2 now, towards the end of what was a pretty decent penalty kill *sigh*.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Petry with the sauce to win Habs the game. Habs take game 1.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I know it's likely better for the Habs in the long run to lose this series, but I just can't help getting excited for a playoff win.

Tribec

The Oilers put in the worse performance of the season on Saturday, but were much improved on Monday with a comprehensive 6-3 win, McDavid with a hat-trick his second goal was pure McDavid. I feel sorry for any D man left in the position that Maatta had no chance of stopping him. The Oilers D looked better than it did on Saturday, but still not up to speed. Game 3 tonight will be very interesting. However, I'm still confused as to how the refs didn't give a 2+2 for high sticking at the end of the game when Keith drew blood on Yammo.

After the McDavid explosion, at some point Drai is going to explode, hopefully tonight, but it will be strange for the Oilers adapting to being in the away dressing room at Rogers Place I wonder how they'll adapt to that.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So the Habs could push the Pens to the brink of elimination tonight.

Half of Habs twitter are obsessed with losing the series so we can have a better shot at Lafrenière. I personally can't get myself to root for a loss.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Time's up on the Pens. They are out. Habs win the series 3-1. Another incredible defensive performance.

Tribec

Half of Habs twitter are obsessed with losing the series so we can have a better shot at Lafrenière. I personally can't get myself to root for a loss.
I was watching a youtube video on this on yesterday morning. Even though I'm an Oilers fan, I some what sat in the middle of this debate seeing both sides of the argument. Of course you want to see your side win, but lets be fair can you honestly see the Habs going all the way? I think they'll go out in the first round, and then you are left with with a mid lottery draft that may not surmount to much. However, it could have ended up that way as you may not have won the lottery pick.

Tribec

Well, credit to the Hawks, they produced a series which showed why they've won the cup fairly often recently. My suspicion is that this could be the last big win for this team and it had to be against the Oilers didn't it!!! I'm not sure how the Oilers lost the last two games to be honest, but it's happened and we are out. We've made great strides this past season and potentially had the season been a normal one we could have actually won our division, but it wasn't to be. A good off season, perhaps made better with a customary good showing in the draft lottery, and we will be in a better position for next year.

Yes, I'm trying to hide the pain and frustration behind some positivity, as it hurts like hell to be out.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I was watching a youtube video on this on yesterday morning. Even though I'm an Oilers fan, I some what sat in the middle of this debate seeing both sides of the argument. Of course you want to see your side win, but lets be fair can you honestly see the Habs going all the way? I think they'll go out in the first round, and then you are left with with a mid lottery draft that may not surmount to much. However, it could have ended up that way as you may not have won the lottery pick.
Yeah it's not an unfathomable position, I understand the reasons, but as you say, it's a lottery pick. We would have had a 12% chance, which isn't really close to being enough to wish my team would lose the series. Of course I'll be annoyed if a team like the Pens luck their way into another potential generational talent, but I can't really be too concerned about that. I'm just elated with how the team played and I'm excited about the uocoming series.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah it's not an unfathomable position, I understand the reasons, but as you say, it's a lottery pick. We would have had a 12% chance, which isn't really close to being enough to wish my team would lose the series. Of course I'll be annoyed if a team like the Pens luck their way into another potential generational talent, but I can't really be too concerned about that. I'm just elated with how the team played and I'm excited about the uocoming series.
And you never know what might happen. Even the bloody Sens were inches away from the finals just a few years ago, and their team wasn't much different from what they had the subsequent year when they achieved absolutely nothing all year long. It's a weird year. I'd say it's better to do well now and see where it goes, rather than giving up and hoping to land that one talent that may or may not change things around (assuming hell stay with the Habs even).

Hey, just making it through a round of playoffs is a good achievement for the Habs now. Gotta enjoy something sometimes!

JPRouve

Scout

As an Habs fan, I get why some would like to add Lafrenière, he is the type of quality winger that team really lacks but there is not actual guarantee to get the 1st pick and this team is already good enough to be regularly in the playoffs with Suzuki and Kotkaniemi not matured yet. I have big hopes for Caufield, Romanov and Norlinder.

Now the question that I ask myself is whether it would be a good idea to try to swap Drouin, Domi or Tatar for someone like Hall? I get all the downsides, he would cost a lot some rumors talked about 10m, his injuriers records aren't great but he consistently scores a lot of points and Tatar/Domi are at the end of their deals, both could cost a lot themselves.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
And you never know what might happen. Even the bloody Sens were inches away from the finals just a few years ago, and their team wasn't much different from what they had the subsequent year when they achieved absolutely nothing all year long. It's a weird year. I'd say it's better to do well now and see where it goes, rather than giving up and hoping to land that one talent that may or may not change things around (assuming hell stay with the Habs even).

Hey, just making it through a round of playoffs is a good achievement for the Habs now. Gotta enjoy something sometimes!
Yeah that's how I see it. I'm under no illusions that the Habs will require a minor miracle to pull off a deep playoff run, but the experience guys like Suzuki and Kotkaniemi will gain out these unexpected playoff games is immeasurable. I can be satisfied with that, plus it's not like the Habs don't already have an entire army of potential prospects to get excited about. Good luck to whoever gets Lafrenière.

Last edited: