NHL 2023/2024

RedDevilQuebecois

I attended my first live NHL game in over 4 years yesterday. The Habs held the line and defeated the playoffs-seeking Philadelphia Flyers by a score of 4-1. Beyond the win and the scoreline, I have to talk about 2 players - Nick Suzuki and Juraj Slafkovsky.

Nick Suzuki, only aged 24 and already the captain of this team, reached the 30-goal plateau for the first time in his career and is the first Habs player to score 30+ in a season since Brendan Gallagher 5 years ago. He's not only elite in point production as he will easily reach and exceed the 70-point mark before season's end. He is also playing big minutes against the other team's top line night after night. People compare Suzuki to a young Patrice Bergeron. If it is for me, he's the kind of player Team Canada would want to have on the 3rd/4th line come the 2026 Winter Olympics or the 4 Nations Face-Off before that (February 2025). Tampa Bay's Jon Cooper said after the final from 3 years ago that Suzuki would have a great future.

Ever since Juraj Slafkosvky was put on the top line, he really became a force of his own. He currently has a 9-game streak with at least a point per game. Back on last Tuesday though, he beat the record for most points scored in a season by a Habs player aged 19 or younger with 40 points (now 41 after the game against Philly and before his 20th birthday on Saturday). The previous record of 39 points originally belonged to Mario Tremblay (1974-75).Slafkovsky's transformation has been nothing short of spectacular, even though we weren't sure if the better option was to either stay with the team or go to the AHL in earlier stages of the season.

With a few more additions and one experienced teacher in the coaching staff, I think this team can start looking higher.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
What the feck was going on at MSG FFS?

I'll be honest, can't fecking stand the sight of Rempe.

Edit: I wouldn't argue with him mind. 6ft7 and 17 stone odd at 21? The feck do they eat in Calgary?? Each other???

Last edited:

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I attended my first live NHL game in over 4 years yesterday. The Habs held the line and defeated the playoffs-seeking Philadelphia Flyers by a score of 4-1. Beyond the win and the scoreline, I have to talk about 2 players - Nick Suzuki and Juraj Slafkovsky.

Nick Suzuki, only aged 24 and already the captain of this team, reached the 30-goal plateau for the first time in his career and is the first Habs player to score 30+ in a season since Brendan Gallagher 5 years ago. He's not only elite in point production as he will easily reach and exceed the 70-point mark before season's end. He is also playing big minutes against the other team's top line night after night. People compare Suzuki to a young Patrice Bergeron. If it is for me, he's the kind of player Team Canada would want to have on the 3rd/4th line come the 2026 Winter Olympics or the 4 Nations Face-Off before that (February 2025). Tampa Bay's Jon Cooper said after the final from 3 years ago that Suzuki would have a great future.

Ever since Juraj Slafkosvky was put on the top line, he really became a force of his own. He currently has a 9-game streak with at least a point per game. Back on last Tuesday though, he beat the record for most points scored in a season by a Habs player aged 19 or younger with 40 points (now 41 after the game against Philly and before his 20th birthday on Saturday). The previous record of 39 points originally belonged to Mario Tremblay (1974-75).Slafkovsky's transformation has been nothing short of spectacular, even though we weren't sure if the better option was to either stay with the team or go to the AHL in earlier stages of the season.

With a few more additions and one experienced teacher in the coaching staff, I think this team can start looking higher.
I've a lot of time for Suzuki! I have a fair bit of time for the Habs too tbf. Probably as a result or this place.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Slaf has 4 games to get the 2 points he needs to reach 50 points. Very early I expected him to be very good but not that fast, I thought that it would take him 3 or 4 full seasons because he has this peculiar mix of size while being mainly a finesse player, this year he has added some power horse traits which puts his potential through the roof.

At this moment the Habs are in a better situation than people including many Habs fans may think. Newhook and Roy have been excellent, the current first line plays at a very high level while having some of the toughest assignments in the league, they largely play against top lines and play lots of minutes.

If the Habs can bring one more power horse or scorer through the draft/trade and a few big defensive forwards(Beck is likely to be one of them, Florian Xhekaj could be an other) for the bottom lines then this team could make some noise in a couple of years.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It wouldn't be a Flyers season without an 8 game losing streak. It'll probably be an even 10 by the weekend. They went from 79% chance of making the playoffs to 8.3% in 3 weeks. I don't think even Spurs have ever Spursed that bad.

RedDevilQuebecois

It wouldn't be a Flyers season without an 8 game losing streak. It'll probably be an even 10 by the weekend. They went from 79% chance of making the playoffs to 8.3% in 3 weeks. I don't think even Spurs have ever Spursed that bad.
Including yesterday, it's now 9 indeed 8 in a row. I was expecting John Tortorella to go all out with fire and fury in his post-game press conference, but I think he has given up for this season. I wouldn't be surprised if GM Daniel Brière took a few minutes to ask "Torts" to not use the flamethrower on everyone just yet.

@JPRouve Speaking of Slafkovsky, I also didn't think he would become this good just yet. There was a time earlier in the season when I remember Slaf having a hard time playing because Kirby Dach was already injured while the Suzuki/Caufield duo had a tough time finding a suitable linemate. I was begging for Slaf to play with Suzuki and Caufield because it was the only way to find out whether or not Slaf's development course still is better in the NHL or in the AHL instead. It took a while for that line to be put up together, but, oh boy, they are just this good together.

Looking at this quick summary of his first NHL hat-trick, it's really impressive to see him go and score in 3 different ways - tip-in, one-timer slapper and a silky wrister.

And he's barely 20 years old while knocking at the door of the 50-point and 20-goal milestones for a single season already. I have never been happier to be proven wrong after doubting so much on a high draft pick.

Last edited:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Including yesterday, it's now 9 in a row. I was expecting John Tortorella to go all out with fire and fury in his post-game press conference, but I think he has given up for this season. I wouldn't be surprised if GM Daniel Brière took a few minutes to ask "Torts" to not use the flamethrower on everyone just yet.
Habs annihilation was the 8th loss. NBC Philly coverage spent a good part of the 1st period talking about the 7 game streak, and that soon turned to "and it's looking likely to be 8".

It'll be 9 on Thursday, because the Rangers are actually good, and the Flyers are already on the beach.

RedDevilQuebecois

You're right: it is 8 in a row after I went down the results further back.

I honestly can't remember such a collapse for a team that was in playoff contention not that long ago.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Which GM has more issues than Kent Hughes? All the young defenders that are brought up in the past 2 years look like they belong in the NHL, the entirety of the league knows that the Habs won't be able to use all of them. I don't see a scenario where the Habs don't lose several of them for less than their actual value.

LD: Matheson, Ghule, Struble, Xhekaj, Harris, Hutson
RD: Savard, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Kovacevic, Barron

Hopefully there is a possibility to package picks and players to either get an elite prospect, a top 6 forward or a high draft pick.

RedDevilQuebecois

So the first round is set and it kicks off on Saturday:

Dallas Stars v. Los Angeles Kings
Winnipeg Jets v. Colorado Avalanche
Vancouver Canucks v. Nashville Predators
Edmonton Oilers v. Vegas Golden Knights

New York Rangers v. Washington Capitals
Carolina Hurricanes v. New York Islanders
Florida Panthers v. Tampa Bay Lightning
Boston Bruins v. Toronto Maple Leafs

Speaking of that last matchup, I read that Toronto have not eliminated Boston in the playoffs since 1959 (!!!). Meet Steve Dangle as he realized who the Leafs will meet for the 4th time in the last 11 years. :lol:

Kristjan

Retired Dictator
Kings and Vegas can still swap places in the standings in the final game.
Although both should win their final game, you never know in the NHL :)

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
How good is this Dallas team?

They accumulated the second most points in team history trailing only the great 1998-99 side (by a single point) that won the Cup, granted there were no shootout wins back then.