NHL 2023/2024

RedDevilQuebecois

A legend retires. What a player he was for the Habs in his prime.

Of all my years of Habs fandom, he was the most electrifying player I have seen. This goal against the Boston Bruins in game 3 of the 2014 division finals remains the best. I was in the restaurant inside the Bell Centre ('cause I couldn't get tickets) and I swear everyone heard the loudest pop all the way from the inside of the arena to where I was when PK scored the goal.

edit: I forgot to mention that goal came a few days after a bunch of Boston Bruins fans went after him on Twitter with racist messages because he scored 2 goals in game 1 of that same series. Keith Olbermann even labelled Bruins fans as in the "Worst Persons in the Sports World" segment on ESPN when the story about the tweets became public. Of course, we Habs fans were ecstatic that he answered to those racists in the best way possible. PK ended up with 4 goals and 3 assists in that 7-game series against the Bruins.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Of all my years of Habs fandom, he was the most electrifying player I have seen. This goal against the Boston Bruins in game 3 of the 2014 division finals remains the best. I was in the restaurant inside the Bell Centre ('cause I couldn't get tickets) and I swear everyone heard the loudest pop all the way from the inside of the arena to where I was when PK scored the goal.

edit: I forgot to mention that goal came a few days after a bunch of Boston Bruins fans went after him on Twitter with racist messages because he scored 2 goals in game 1 of that same series. Keith Olbermann even labelled Bruins fans as in the "Worst Persons in the Sports World" segment on ESPN when the story about the tweets became public. Of course, we Habs fans were ecstatic that he answered to those racists in the best way possible. PK ended up with 4 goals and 3 assists in that 7-game series against the Bruins.
He is by some distance my favourite ever Habs player. I was at home in my living room trying not to wake everyone in the house when he scored that goal.

I was damn near hyperventilating when the Habs traded him. I grew to really like Weber too over time, but no player could ever replicate that feeling I had towards Subban.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

It took me a while to finally watch it but it was worth it, it's particularly interesting to see how much emphasis they put on picking well rounded young men and hockey players. Hopefully it will be a success, I already like the look of Slaf, Mesar, Hutson and Beck.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Man that boy Caufield is a sniper. Always a great feeling beating the fecking Leafs.

A dramatic last minute winner? More of that please :D

RedDevilQuebecois

Dunno what was up with NHL highlights having the sound preceding the video footage, but I could grab 2 highlights with well sync'd sound and video. Great game yesterday indeed.

Man that boy Caufield is a sniper.

Great saucer pass by Suzuki, perfect shot from Caufield off the wing with so little room in that top corner. You just can't teach some of those.

A dramatic last minute winner? More of that please :D
Oh yeah! That roar though.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
All my teams across all sports I follow are fecking disappointing despite being somewhere good enough to hold out some hope of promise.

It's fecking wank.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
All my teams across all sports I follow are fecking disappointing despite being somewhere good enough to hold out some hope of promise.

It's fecking wank.
I can say the exact same thing, especially a couple of months ago when baseball was still going.

londonredmaniac

I’m actually now in Savannah, GA. If you are passing through here, drinks are on me.
Ah nice pal! My brother did a bit of a tour of the East Coast last year and came down from Penn State to Savannah and onto Tampa. He moved out to The States in August!

He had nothing but good things to say about Savannah. You never know pal, might just have to take you up on that!

I've heard nothing but good things bud :)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Ah nice pal! My brother did a bit of a tour of the East Coast last year and came down from Penn State to Savannah and onto Tampa. He moved out to The States in August!

He had nothing but good things to say about Savannah. You never know pal, might just have to take you up on that!

I've heard nothing but good things bud :)
The two sister cities, Savannah & Charleston, are both worth spending a good amount of time exploring. Both have their own unique charm which can enchant visitors to end up moving here.

londonredmaniac

The two sister cities, Savannah & Charleston, are both worth spending a good amount of time exploring. Both have their own unique charm which can enchant visitors to end up moving here.
Yeah he had great things to say about both.

You pleased with the move by the sounds? Good to hear mate.

JPRouve

Scout
People are losing it. The kids are being a little bit too promising and Bédard is disappearing. :lol:

RedDevilQuebecois

Not every day that I would talk about a scrap between 2 players, but this was something impressive. On one side, you have a veteran with a solid reputation as a fighter (614 NHL games and 870 NHL penalty minutes) and quite a shit disturber. On the other side, you have a 21-year-old with only 5 NHL games so far after he made the cut at training camp. Guess who manhandled the other in the scrap before you watch this.

JPRouve

Scout
Not every day that I would talk about a scrap between 2 players, but this was something impressive. On one side, you have a veteran with a solid reputation as a fighter (614 NHL games and 870 NHL penalty minutes) and quite a shit disturber. On the other side, you have a 21-year-old with only 5 NHL games so far after he made the cut at training camp. Guess who manhandled the other in the scrap before you watch this.

I almost tagged you about this. At some points fighters will have to understand that Xhekaj is going to ragdoll almost all of them.

Edit: The Habs could quickly be an intimidating team, Guhle is massive and excellent, Xhekaj is massive, pretty good and protective. Then you have Mailloux and Slafkovsky who are also massive but not really bruisers. And they are all good skaters.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Lightning are shitting the bed out of the gate much more than typical years. We haven’t figured out how to cope with the player losses yet.

JPRouve

Scout
Bedard is coming home by the looks
It's possible and adding him to Pettersson would be exceptional. They are in a similar situation to the Habs where they have big holes but don't look that far from being competitive.

Regarding the Habs, it's going to be very interesting. They don't really have much room at the center position, Suzuki is a lock, Dach has been a very positive surprise, Beck looks like he is actually not far from Wright which is a weird thing to say but was murmured by some before the draft, Mesar is a dynamo. It's early days but they will have to move a lot of potentially valuable players in the coming years especially if they are a lottery team this season and end up having the option to pick the likes of Michkov or Bédard.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Never seen two open net shots hit the pipes twice in a minute from inside the blue line. Thankfully we didn’t need the goals.

londonredmaniac

It's possible and adding him to Pettersson would be exceptional. They are in a similar situation to the Habs where they have big holes but don't look that far from being competitive.

Regarding the Habs, it's going to be very interesting. They don't really have much room at the center position, Suzuki is a lock, Dach has been a very positive surprise, Beck looks like he is actually not far from Wright which is a weird thing to say but was murmured by some before the draft, Mesar is a dynamo. It's early days but they will have to move a lot of potentially valuable players in the coming years especially if they are a lottery team this season and end up having the option to pick the likes of Michkov or Bédard.
I'm going to watch a bit of The Habs this year if I can.

I could be well off the mark here, because I know next to nothing but are the Habs in a true rebuild kind of phase?

The problem for me with Vancouver is they appear to be looking to mount that challenge in the next few years! Which worries me from what I'm seeing.

Signing miller to a 8X8, Ekmann Larrson on huge money for the next 6 years Boeser on big money and not really producing. A PP that's firing blanks (and giving up Short-handed goals)and a Penalty Kill failing. Even I know you're going to be clipped more often than not with Special Teams like ours as it stands.

We have a franchise goalie (albeit not at his best right now) with a defence crumbling in front of him. Demko earned a huge number of points last season.

A top 9 that should give anyone problems..

A was buzzing to see what Bruce could do with a full pre season...can't help but feel he's getting let down all over the ice. Last season it was first periods we couldn't seem to turn up for. This year thirds.

JPRouve

Scout
I'm going to watch a bit of The Habs this year if I can.

I could be well off the mark here, because I know next to nothing but are the Habs in a true rebuild kind of phase?

The problem for me with Vancouver is they appear to be looking to mount that challenge in the next few years! Which worries me from what I'm seeing.

Signing miller to a 8X8, Ekmann Larrson on huge money for the next 6 years Boeser on big money and not really producing. A PP that's firing blanks (and giving up Short-handed goals)and a Penalty Kill failing. Even I know you're going to be clipped more often than not with Special Teams like ours as it stands.

We have a franchise goalie (albeit not at his best right now) with a defence crumbling in front of him. Demko earned a huge number of points last season.

A top 9 that should give anyone problems..

A was buzzing to see what Bruce could do with a full pre season...can't help but feel he's getting let down all over the ice. Last season it was first periods we couldn't seem to turn up for. This year thirds.
It depends on what you mean by true rebuild but they are definitely in a rebuild. For example they started the season with 4 rookies on defense, They have two backup goalies acting as starters and they are sellers when it comes to fowards, they have a lot of veteran in that department but a fair amount shouldn't be there after the trade deadline.

The Habs were and are supposed to be pretty bad this season.

londonredmaniac

It depends on what you mean by true rebuild but they are definitely in a rebuild. For example they started the season with 4 rookies on defense, They have two backup goalies acting as starters and they are sellers when it comes to fowards, they have a lot of veteran in that department but a fair amount shouldn't be there after the trade deadline.

The Habs were and are supposed to be pretty bad this season.
Yeah! See for me at least (not an awful lot of experience here) that sounds like a true rebuild. Low expectations, bit of pain but trying to move something to be back in the hunt in 3 or 4 or more years time.

Seems to me, again just my opinion, that the moves that the Canucks have made have been to make a push...and if so it's looking anything but in the early throws.

I'll be catching some Habs highlights! Wish I had more time tbf!!

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah! See for me at least (not an awful lot of experience here) that sounds like a true rebuild. Low expectations, bit of pain but trying to move something to be back in the hunt in 3 or 4 or more years time.

Seems to me, again just my opinion, that the moves that the Canucks have made have been to make a push...and if so it's looking anything but in the early throws.

I'll be catching some Habs highlights! Wish I had more time tbf!!
Yeah, the Canucks are a surprising bad team, a little bit like that Habs last season, though it's still early to make definitive statements. Now insight is always right but if I remember correctly the Habs were one of the teams very interested in taking Pettersson, I wonder if the Canucks regret the deal, Hughes and Pettersson contracts aren't great contract or contexts for a team in a possible forced rebuild, it's a like the Habs being anchored by Price's contract.