NHL 2023/2024

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Tough to mount any serious gameplay when we only have five shots through the end of the second period.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Elias Pettersson and Kuzmenko have been the only solid positives of the season.

Oh and Horvat but he's off.

We will probably lose Kuz as well. McDavid hatrick incoming as well. I'll be amazed if we don't ship 6 plus at Edmonton.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Sole reason we didn’t three peat last year was not having this cat due to a bad quad tear…

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If everything goes properly the Habs will have two top 10 picks. The lack of top defensemen in the draft is a bit of shame though.

massi83

If everything goes properly the Habs will have two top 10 picks. The lack of top defensemen in the draft is a bit of shame though.
Possible but unlikely. Florida have been better than their points total and they have had injuries to Barkov, Ekblad and Lundell. So 11-15 much likelier. And they don't have any coming UFAs to trade away near deadline. They do have one of the worst coaches in the league though.

JPRouve

Scout
Possible but unlikely. Florida have been better than their points total and they have had injuries to Barkov, Ekblad and Lundell. So 11-15 much likelier. And they don't have any coming UFAs to trade away near deadline. They do have one of the worst coaches in the league though.

11-15 put them in the lottery.

Skåre Willoch

What do we think about Alex Ovechkin passing Gretzky as the all time goals leader?

He's currently on pace for another 50+ season, and doesn't really look like he's losing his goal scoring ability anytime soon.

massi83

What do we think about Alex Ovechkin passing Gretzky as the all time goals leader?

He's currently on pace for another 50+ season, and doesn't really look like he's losing his goal scoring ability anytime soon.
Unfortunately the Putinist pos will likely do it

Skåre Willoch

I'm curious about how many of the russian players are Putinists. How many have taken an active stand against what's going on?
There are quite a few Russians in the league, and I can't remember any of them speaking out about the atrocities going on. That said, I don't really follow many of them on social media etc, so for all I know many of them have given statements there.

massi83

I'm curious about how many of the russian players are Putinists. How many have taken an active stand against what's going on?
There are quite a few Russians in the league, and I can't remember any of them speaking out about the atrocities going on. That said, I don't really follow many of them on social media etc, so for all I know many of them have given statements there.
Panarin has spoken against.

Ovi still has Putin's pic on his ig profile pic ffs! He is a big supporter of Putin and his close friend. Biggest scum in NHL.

So were you really curious or just "curious"?

Skåre Willoch

Panarin has spoken against.

Ovi still has Putin's pic on his ig profile pic ffs! He is a big supporter of Putin and his close friend. Biggest scum in NHL.

So were you really curious or just "curious"?
Oh - you misunderstand, my intention was not trying to defend Ovi. I was just trying to discuss how many other player have taken an outspoken stand regarding whats going on. I'm sorry for being unclear.

massi83

Oh - you misunderstand, my intention was not trying to defend Ovi. I was just trying to discuss how many other player have taken an outspoken stand regarding whats going on. I'm sorry for being unclear.
Ok. My bad. The point is not whether many of them have spoken against Putin, staying quiet is okayish, but that Ovi is actively for Putin and a huge part of Putin's propaganda

RedDevilQuebecois

calodo2003 Your thoughts? The last thing I wanted to see is Governor Fat Feck poking his nose with more of his silliness.

Last edited:

RedDevilQuebecois

RIP Gino Odjick. Known to be one of the toughest of tough guys to play the game and yet a very generous soul, he was known to be Pavel Bure's protector and friend in Vancouver. I will always remember this moment from the 1995 playoffs in which he went after 4 players in a full on brawl.

Such a special character both on and off the ice.

Last edited:

RedDevilQuebecois

As if the season was not already shitty enough, one of the very few reasons I had left to keep on watching them this season has been ruled out injured for the season. Cole Caufield needs a shoulder surgery and has been playing with that injury for quite some time now. It's a real shame because he had 26 goals and 10 assists in 46 games, which was on pace for 47 goals and 18 assists in a full season. :(

Curse ths team with all of the injuries. I swear I would sack the entire medical staff just like Carolina did a number of years ago because they were not doing enough to make players resistant to injuries enough.:mad:

massi83

Has Slafkovsky been as terrible as his stat line?

Why was he not in AHL to begin with, given that he isn't a top top talent and Montreal are a mess?

JPRouve

Scout

Why was he not in AHL to begin with, given that he isn't a top top talent and Montreal are a mess?
He has generally been good in my opinion but the Habs lack offensive talent to partner him. He also had some rough moment lately but nothing special.

And yes, the Habs were supposed to be the worst team in the league this season. It's a miracle that they haven't been.

RedDevilQuebecois

I keep asking myself the same question. The usual party line says that Slafkovsky is working a lot with that very reputable player development guru (Adam Nicholas) in 1-on-1 work outside of regular training sessions, but, hey, you can take the guy to coach him individually in Laval, which is right in the Habs' own backyard. Also I have my share of gripes with Marty St. Louis on the way he managed the kid, especially by giving him 4th line minutes so often and by playing him alongside a share of bums as linemates.

When I see the likes of Simon Nemec and David Jiricek performing at high standards in the AHL at the same age, I see no reason why Slafkovsky would not learn how to dominate and to help his team fighting for something tangible (a playoff spot) straight away.

On a different topic, I personally hate the way the Habs are managing this "rebuilding" as of now. The Leafs were total garbage in 2015-16 (pre-Auston Matthews), but there was at least an identity and structure developping under Mike Babcock. The Boston Bruins have had an identity as a club that has prevented them from tanking for 25 years now; nobody in Boston wants to tank and they know how to maintain high standards anyhow. I have yet to see such an identity being built with the Habs.

Last edited:

massi83

He has generally been good in my opinion but the Habs lack offensive talent to partner him. He also had some rough moment lately but nothing special.

And yes, the Habs were supposed to be the worst team in the league this season. It's a miracle that they haven't been.
Ok, thanks. Just find it weird that he is not in AHL. Better to play 20mins there than 12mins in a bad team. Probably just because he is number 1 pick, if he went at 4-12 like in a normal draft year most likely different outcome.

RedDevilQuebecois

Ok, thanks. Just find it weird that he is not in AHL. Better to play 20mins there than 12mins in a bad team. Probably just because he is number 1 pick, if he went at 4-12 like in a normal draft year most likely different outcome.
Shane Wright (formerly projected number 1 overall) was sent to the AHL for reconditioning, then played for Canada at the WJC, and now is back in the OHL.

Because Laval are only a few points away from a playoff spot with a little less than half of the season left to play, it hurts even more to think that Slafkovsky was not sent there to help instead of getting now injured for 3 months.

JPRouve

Scout
Unlike some I'm glad that he didn't set foot in the AHL. One of the biggest issue that he initially faced in the NHL was that he wasn't playing as big as he is and was also not paying enough attention to hard hits. He would have been killed in the AHL, if he initially went there because while he is very big, he is primarily a skilled player not a physical one.

Also the Rockets have been absolutely awful, I doubt that it would have been a good environment during the first part of the season. Now if it wasn't for his injury I do think that he should have spent the second part of the season in AHL.

JPRouve

Scout
Shane Wright (formerly projected number 1 overall) was sent to the AHL for reconditioning, then played for Canada at the WJC, and now is back in the OHL.

Because Laval are only a few points away from a playoff spot with a little less than half of the season left to play, it hurts even more to think that Slafkovsky was not sent there to help instead of getting now injured for 3 months.
Shane Wright was awful from day one and then awful again.

RedDevilQuebecois

Shane Wright was awful from day one and then awful again.
That is besides the point. I only need to look at Nemec in Utica and Jiricek in Cleveland to see that the development curve is excellent for them in the AHL. Slafkovsky should have been sent to Laval after he was deep in that slump since early December and before that injury.

Other topic #1: The more it goes, the more I'm exasperated with Marty St. Louis's nice guy approach. It's one thing that the team is bad and that a number of players are underperforming, but can he get mad and be blunt some times? The best head coaches in the game know how to be very blunt. I personally draw worrying parallels between St. Louis the Habs head coach and Ole the Manchester United manager. How do you feel about him?

Other topic #2: it appears I'm not the only one willing to call out the therapy, strength and conditioning team.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
RIP Gino Odjick. Known to be one of the toughest of tough guys to play the game and yet a very generous soul, he was known to be Pavel Bure's protector and friend in Vancouver. I will always remember this moment from the 1995 playoffs in which he went after 4 players in a full on brawl.

Such a special character both on and off the ice.
He sure is talked about with absolute reverence by the Canucks fans!