Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Not sure if this is the club implying he's staying but I'm glad to know his recovery went well.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...oyce-on-nick-powell-comeback-from-injury.aspx

NICK POWELL LOOKING BETTER THAN EVER
Nick Powell is on the comeback trail and looking in better shape than ever, in the opinion of Manchester United Under-21s coach Warren Joyce.

The 21-year-old has been sidelined with a serious hamstring problem sustained in the U21s' clash against Everton in February but could return for the next fixture, against Norwich City at Carrow Road on 23 November.

Things are looking positive for Powell, who can operate in midfield or attack, as he looks to get his career back on track.

"Nick's worked extremely hard," Joyce told ManUtd.com. "It's been a testing time, as you expect when you're injured and obviously out for this amount of time with an injury. But his attitude has been outstanding in the gym and out on the training field.

"I think, to be fair, he is looking in the best condition he has ever been in his life. Hopefully, he kicks on with that now when the games start coming. There is no doubt how much talent he has got. Some of the stuff you see from him is outstanding. He's a high top-level talent so hopefully he can get a run of matches.

"When he came back here from his loan spells away, I thought he was flying before he got injured. People forget how young he is. He is still a young player with a very bright career in front of him. Like everything, he needs a little bit of luck and has got to be in the right place at the right time to grab an opportunity and make the most of it.

"He's certainly put in the hours in the gym and on the training pitch and, like I've said, is probably in the best condition physically he has ever been in his life. There are a lot of good people in the medical department and the sports science lads are really conscientious and very good at their jobs. It's not easy to be out for such a long while but he has got to keep going like he has been doing. You have ups and downs but that's normal. Everybody wants to play but the staff are so good at their jobs they keep the players going, keep them motivated, keep them at it and keep them running. So far, so good and I hope he gets over the final hurdle now."

Powell will be out to display his range of talents and enjoy a run of matches, possibly during another loan move away from United.

"He's training with us now and I would have thought he'll play at Norwich if everything goes to plan because he's back in contention," said Joyce. "He can handle one versus one situations, he's got a trick or two and a good range of passing, long and short. He's got goals in him and has a good shot, he can do short finishes and is useful with his head. He's a pretty complete footballer.

"Maybe he just needs to apply all the things he's got so he has a major influence on a game. That has got to be the demand on him but, like I say, he's in a good place at the minute. He looks lean, fit and strong. The hours he's put in at the gym with the physios and sports-science lads has really helped him.

"We're hoping he will be able to push himself forward - either in the first team or out in the league again. He's had that already and is really too good for Reserves football. He has proved he can play in the Championship but, if he's got ambition, which I'm sure he has, then he'd want to prove to himself he can play in the Premier League.

"That has got to be his aim. He's gone step-by-step to get to this stage now and that had to be the carrot dangled in front of him, the prospect of top-flight football in the future, so I am sure all those hours in the gym will be worthwhile."​

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I can't help but be excited about him, if the penny has truly dropped and he starts putting in work then he could become a top player. All the natural ability is there.

MAME DIOUF 32

He's still got time if he wants it enough. I'm sure he can carve out a career at a yo-yo club or in the Championship whatever effort he bothers to put in but I really hope he appreciates how much better his career could be.

XdanielredX

Was gonna say it must have been a brutal hamstring injury. A hamstring problem that has kept him out since FEBRUARY.

It sounds encouraging though, I always felt he was a bit of a blank canvas that could be moulded into any number of roles including #10 and straight up Centre-Mid.

Hopefully he is knuckling down and getting in shape and putting in the yards, he's still younger than Lingard so he still has time on his side right now.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He looked okay last night. Still has some real class on the ball, but needs a run in some team now. Not going to get it in the U21s, so wonder if there's a loan opportunity available to get back up to speed.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He does look in great nick, physically. He's a hell of a big, strong unit. Although his ring rustiness meant there were shades of Fellaini in his performance last night. Still yong and lernin though. You can see how Van Gaal might fancy him as a player, though. He likes his number 10s to be bruisers, doesn't he?

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
He's got good pace, goal threat and can go past players. Which none of our other options as number 10's can boast, with the exception of Pereira.

Is he good enough/will he be good enough to transfer those abilities to the top level? I don't think so, but I'm luckily not the guy who makes the call.

In badly need of football now though. One can only hope it's true he's worked so hard with his physique as is claimed in the propaganda piece in this thread.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He's got good pace, goal threat and can go past players. Which none of our other options as number 10's can boast, with the exception of Pereira.

Is he good enough/will he be good enough to transfer those abilities to the top level? I don't think so, but I'm luckily not the guy who makes the call.

In badly need of football now though. One can only hope it's true he's worked so hard with his physique as is claimed in the propaganda piece in this thread.
The evidence is in front of your eyes.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I find it difficult to judge from a couple of training ground photos - particularly the stamina part - and I didn't watch the U21s.
It looked all there last night, what was pleasing was that even at this early stage he got through his first 5-10 yards a lot quicker than he usually seems to and was willing to close down and get himself into passing lanes. Doing some dog work essentially. Was nice to see.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
It looked all there last night, what was pleasing was that even at this early stage he got through his first 5-10 yards a lot quicker than he usually seems to and was willing to close down and get himself into passing lanes. Doing some dog work essentially. Was nice to see.
That's encouraging - it's the part of his game I always felt was lacking, the understanding that he had to graft and to work really hard to prove himself.

Natural I guess - flung into the limelight as a 17 year old carrying Crewe and getting his big time move to United. He's still young in relative terms if he can pick himself up and put the hard work in. He's got the talent, as Fergie was adamant in his book about.

Sam

Always good to see a young player back from a long term injury. But in all honesty, I doubt he's going to have a future here. Even the likes of Peraira, Wilson, Januzaj and Lingard (both last season) have been struggled to get much game time, and they're all well ahead of Powell in the pecking order.

He's still only 21 though (that actually surprised me) so I guess there's always a chance, but I'd say its pretty unlikely at this stage.

itso 7

Always good to see a young player back from a long term injury. But in all honesty, I doubt he's going to have a future here. Even the likes of Peraira, Wilson, Januzaj and Lingard (both last season) have been struggled to get much game time, and they're all well ahead of Powell in the pecking order.

He's still only 21 though (that actually surprised me) so I guess there's always a chance, but I'd say its pretty unlikely at this stage.
He is a No.10/AM, none of those players are and he offers significantly greater goal threat than any of those bar Wilson who I assume he will play with not instead of. He's got a long way to get back into form, after nine months out, but chances will come and if he takes them when they do there is no reason why he can't turn his career around like Lingard has done.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I liked what we initially saw of him, was a bit disappointed when it seemed to trail off and then there were rumours of poor attitude before the injury if I recall correctly. If he kicks on, would be great.

khoazany

No way he'll make the bench on Wednesday.Match fitness is very important for LVG and he looks very rusty last night.I would have all other 9 outfield players that started last night (and the substitute Rashford) ahead of him

The only way he'll have a future here is to go through Lingard's route - go on loan this season after fully recovered from his injury and impress on next summer Tour.

The Red Thinker

That was a tough night out for him. He's desperately trying to find rhythm and that's visible. But, what I liked about him is that he had aggression in his game. He wasn't about to let the game go by and sulk. He was running after balls and getting stuck in. That bodes well for him.

He's always had quality. It was the lack of passion and aggression in his game that had me worried. But, this video shows a different side to him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Squint your eyes and watch it, and I swear it's Berbatov!. He's definitely got that relaxed languid style, but has real body strength and holds the ball up well, and his 1 touch passing is very neat. He clearly looks a little rusty there and is mistiming a few tackles, but I like that he is playing with some fire in his belly there. Will be interesting to see how he steps on from here.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He actually shoots from outside of the box, a trait these days.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Nick Powell is continuing to work his way back to full fitness after training with Manchester United's first-team squad ahead of the Champions League clash with PSV Eindhoven.

Joyce told MUTV: "He played 45 minutes last week [in a training game], and then 55 minutes on top of quite a hard week.

"It's a case of managing the minutes with him, just to try to get him through really and back to near full fitness. He has a way to go yet but he's worked really hard.

"He's had no signs of breaking down again and that is a pleasing aspect of it. So far, so good."

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Do you think he has the skill set to play a deaper role? Like maybe What Ander plays? I thought this was what Fergie had bought him for originally.
I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if he ends up being a midfielder long term. I don't think his creativity is sharp enough to be a pure #10 and his short passing doesn't appear to be his strong suit.

He's better at scoring goals than creating them. He's a great striker of the ball with both feet. He's got great technique and a good, clean shot on him. I'd expect him to continue to be a forward, either with United or elsewhere.

ChaddyP

I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if he ends up being a midfielder long term. I don't think his creativity is sharp enough to be a pure #10 and his short passing doesn't appear to be his strong suit.

He's better at scoring goals than creating them. He's a great striker of the ball with both feet. He's got great technique and a good, clean shot on him. I'd expect him to continue to be a forward, either with United or elsewhere.
Thanks for the short analysis. Appreciated

pseudo_canadian

Given our injuries, it would be interesting if he made the bench tonight.

Doubt it, but it would be great to see. I still have high hopes for him, and he's still very young all things considered.

Brightonian

What's his best position?
Elsewhere.

Seriously though, am I watching the same video as everyone else here? I see him lose the ball in pretty much every clip, fail to make a serious positive contribution, and get into several unnecessary tussles after an opponent takes umbrage at him persistently fouling them when he fails to control the ball. And people want him on the bench tonight?

He's consistently failed to impress both in our reserves and on loan, both in terms of his football and his attitude. He's not even a product of our own academy. What is it that he has that makes people so keen for him to succeed here? A couple of wonder-goals three and a half years ago in League 2?

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Elsewhere.

Seriously though, am I watching the same video as everyone else here? I see him lose the ball in pretty much every clip, fail to make a serious positive contribution, and get into several unnecessary tussles after an opponent takes umbrage at him persistently fouling them when he fails to control the ball. And people want him on the bench tonight?

He's consistently failed to impress both in our reserves and on loan, both in terms of his football and his attitude. He's not even a product of our own academy. What is it that he has that makes people so keen for him to succeed here? A couple of wonder-goals three and a half years ago in League 2?
I kind of agree, he has some qualities when I have seen him, but definately havent seen anything to say he would make it in our first team.
TBH though you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.