Nick Powell

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I've never thought so. Never understood the hype that surrounded him.
He is decent on the ball and has shown some good vision...and obviously knows where the goal is especially from distance.

However so far he really hasn't shown he has developed beyond his days at Crewe.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Was just about to type 'All the talent without actually having all the talent' but then went to the top of the page and realised we've had that exact discussion earlier. :D
:lol: brilliant, glad to see we are sticking too our guns.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
You want to know why Chelsea and City have been hoovering up all the trophies in the last 5 years it's because they were buying Hazard and Aguero whilst we were buying Dave Corsa and Phil Jones and Nick Powell

There's no point in pontificating over why he didn't "make it", it really is quite simple. If you want a top football team then you buy or develop top players.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
You want to know why Chelsea and City have been hoovering up all the trophies in the last 5 years it's because they were buying Hazard and Aguero whilst we were buying Dave Corsa and Phil Jones and Nick Powell

There's no point in pontificating over why he didn't "make it", it really is quite simple. If you want a top football team then you buy or develop top players.
Yet chelsea have won their first title in 5 years and city have been unable to retain the title. It isn't so simple as you would like it to be.

The Mitcher

As I'd like it to be?!

I don't recall saying I liked Chelsea and City winning trophies :D
You said they have been hoovering up trophies, no they haven't. When hazard arrived, they won nothing that season and nothing the season after. City won the fa cup then the league then they won nothing then they won the league and then they won nothing. Not quite hoovering it up is it?

.Rossi

You said they have been hoovering up trophies, no they haven't. When hazard arrived, they won nothing that season and nothing the season after. City won the fa cup then the league then they won nothing then they won the league and then they won nothing. Not quite hoovering it up is it?
Compared to our last two seasons, it is.

The Mitcher

Compared to our last two seasons, it is.
In moyes' season chelsea won feck all. How is that hoovering up trophies? Don't forget they fecked up their title race (like we did) and finished third behind a liverpool side that should not have been there in the first place. Get over yourself, buying stars does not guarantee success, we bought Di Maria and Falcao and they haven't set the world alight.

.Rossi

In moyes' season chelsea won feck all. How is that hoovering up trophies? Don't forget they fecked up their title race (like we did) and finished third behind a liverpool side that should not have been there in the first place. Get over yourself, buying stars does not guarantee success, we bought Di Maria and Falcao and they haven't set the world alight.
"Get over yourself" :lol:

I said, when Chelsea and City were out buying the likes of Aguero and Hazard, we were swooping in for the likes of Phil Jones and Powell.

Fast forward a few years, Hazard and Aguero are two of the league's best players, and best in the world, while we're still trying to clear out deadwood like Powell, and Jones is almost a laughing stock on here , to the point where one of our best ever players says, he's not smart enough to play as centre back, which is what we bought him for

How am I wrong?! After all, isn't that what we done with Ronaldo, Rooney, Vidic, Pique, Rossi etc etc (Granted, Pique and Rossi pissed off after awhile)

They bought the best and they developed them into the best and are now soaking up the rewards.
We bought shit and are now having to clean the mess up and play catch up with City and Chelsea.

So now, it's up to City and Chelsea to battle it out for trophies on the domestic front, and "hoover" them up, while we try and fix this mess we got ourselves into.

Open your eyes!

I'll be gunned down next for suggesting Januzaj isn't world class...

I take your point about Chelsea last season....But they completely shat themselves in the title race and were one game away from a CL final.......We rotted away in 7th and were embarrassed in every other competition we were in. I know which season I'd rather have.

Last edited:

khoazany

Jones is one of the most talented CB of his generation before he comes to us.You have to accept that there're young players whose development wouldn't go as expected.

Nick Powell signing has nothing to do with the likes of Hazard and Aguero.Every team has those kinds of signing totally unproven young players on cheap and hope to develop them to the level required.Chelsea even has more than us, just have to look at those 20 odd players that going out on loan from them every year.We failed to sign the likes of Hazard, as simple as that, not because we chose to go with the likes of Powell.

.Rossi

Jones is one of the most talented CB of his generation before he comes to us.You have to accept that there're young players whose development wouldn't go as expected.

Nick Powell signing has nothing to do with the likes of Hazard and Aguero.Every team has those kinds of signing totally unproven young players on cheap and hope to develop them to the level required.Chelsea even has more than us, just have to look at those 20 odd players that going out on loan every year.
Oberton, Bebe, Powell, Tosic, Vermijl, Veseli, Buttner, Henriquez, Varela, Janko....

That is a lot of dross though for a club like United, especially with the reputation we have when it comes to scouting, identifying prospects and developing them into world class players.

I mean, Oberton's manager was shocked we even signed him and couldn't understand why we did

khoazany

Oberton, Bebe, Powell, Tosic, Vermijl, Veseli, Buttner, Henriquez, Varela, Janko....

That is a lot of dross though for a club like United, especially with the reputation we have when it comes to scouting, identifying prospects and developing them into world class players.

I mean, Oberton's manager was shocked we even signed him and couldn't understand why we did
Agree with the likes of Obertan,Bebe,Buttner and Tosic.Vermijl and Veseli were effectively signings to make up number for the Reserves so it's unrelated.Henriquez and Janko are belong to "the signings on cheap at 17-18 with the hope to develop them" type as I've stated.

Chelsea has the likes of Moses,Atsu,Oriol Romeu,Lucas Piazon,Cuevas,Davila,etc,.... who are effectively similar to those names you've mentioned.

.Rossi

Agree with the likes of Obertan,Bebe,Buttner and Tosic.Vermijl and Veseli were effectively signings to make up number for the Reserves so it's unrelated.Henriquez and Janko are belong to "the signings on cheap at 17-18 with the hope to develop them" type as I've stated.

Chelsea has the likes of Moses,Atsu,Oriol Romeu,Lucas Piazon,Cuevas,Davila,etc,.... who are effectively similar to those names you've mentioned.
Fair point, well made

Sauxees Moi Hui

He was 17 years of age when he became top scorer for Crewe, albeit in League 2. Signed for us, having barely turned 18. Cost a few million, nothing crazy. It was a good gamble. Gambles don't always work out.

GloryHunter07

He was 17 years of age when he became top scorer for Crewe, albeit in League 2. Signed for us, having barely turned 18. Cost a few million, nothing crazy. It was a good gamble. Gambles don't always work out.
Exactly- we shouldn't be afraid of taking punts on talented youngsters.

Nozzy

And it's not a lack of talent, however raw, that has let Powell down, it appears to his attitude, lack of professional dedication.

Telcontar

We could list a bunch of wasted talents and the ones that didn't work out... likes of Karim Rekik, John Guiddetti, Lucas Pizon.. hell Chelsea sold Kevin fecking De Bruyne. I would love to see us splashing money for him, even tho we are well stocked in his position... I would drade ADM for KDB anytime. :)
Besides, it's pretty comon that a lot of talents flop at the highest level. Although I must say I do think that both Zaha and Powell only have themselves to blame for not making it.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
Ouch that looks like a nasty one that! Sadly another talent that doesn't look like he's going to make it at united.

He never really got a chance but I guess there must have been reason for that. And in his 27 weeks of recovery he's seen the club finally address their midfield issue. I bet that was a bit of a kick in the teeth!

JoaquinJoaquin

Ouch that looks like a nasty one that! Sadly another talent that doesn't look like he's going to make it at united.

He never really got a chance but I guess there must have been reason for that. And in his 27 weeks of recovery he's seen the club finally address their midfield issue. I bet that was a bit of a kick in the teeth!
Think it has been clear that he didn't have the mental aspect of his game to be a top player. A lot of people have mentioned that he is 'too' laid back, which could be seen as arrogance \ lazy perhaps?

Rich_H_1989

Think it has been clear that he didn't have the mental aspect of his game to be a top player. A lot of people have mentioned that he is 'too' laid back, which could be seen as arrogance \ lazy perhaps?
On the few occasions I did see him play for us he did have this confidence about him as if he knew he belonged at the club. But I took that as a good thing... That's what you want really. Arrogance isn't a bad thing but yes laziness is. Also I think maybe in part it's the wrong appearance for a CM? As a number 10 or striker in some cases you can be laid back and arrogant but in CM you expect more urgency perhaps?

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
That looks quite bad. Not sure what happened to him, never got to read any details about his injury.

Rich_H_1989

I presume it happened while he was out on loan? Mind you he's so far siren the pecking order and so far out of our minds I guess we wouldn't have paid much attention to the news. It was quite apparent a while ago he was not going to get the chances to make it and even if he did, was he good enough!

FromTheBench

He's still at the club then. Probably due to Injury but do wonder if there's a chance of him getting another chance with the 1st team squad ?

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
He's still at the club then. Probably due to Injury but do wonder if there's a chance of him getting another chance with the 1st team squad ?
Don't think so. In fact, he'll do well to get into a first team squad at any Premier League club.

Last edited:

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
The early pages in this thread. :lol:

bdecuc

It might be a hard road back for Powell. The pic of his injury looked bad. But can he make it? Why not. He was always very talented. Maybe he was a bit lazy or going off track a bit. Some of his loans didn't seem to have been all that successful. Maybe the time out will he helped with maturity or given him a new perspective if that was what was missing? There was a time in the u21s when you'd have given him a chance at making it to the first team. I just wouldn't write him off out of hand when nobody can have a clue really.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
It might be a hard road back for Powell. The pic of his injury looked bad. But can he make it? Why not. He was always very talented. Maybe he was a bit lazy or going off track a bit. Some of his loans didn't seem to have been all that successful. Maybe the time out will he helped with maturity or given him a new perspective if that was what was missing? There was a time in the u21s when you'd have given him a chance at making it to the first team. I just wouldn't write him off out of hand when nobody can have a clue really.
He wasn't/isn't very talented. He had a good hard shot and that's about it. Same as Balotelli, but wont even be near that good.

FromTheBench

He wasn't/isn't very talented. He had a good hard shot and that's about it. Same as Balotelli, but wont even be near that good.
Well Lampard also had a good hard shot. Plus Powell has good ability to run at people and carry the ball from deep too.

FromTheBench

Tbf, only his loan to Leicester was unsuccessful. Before that he did quite well at Wigan.

Injuries have been a big problem for him though. He has missed last 3 crucial tours due to injury and then been injured again in parts of seasons too.

As for his attitude, i think he is too laid back and non caring at times. Needs a manager who can man manage that and work on his mental aspect and motivation somehow. LVG seems more sink or swim type even with young players.

Anyway, it's high time for him now that he starts delivering.

mu4c_20le

He had technical ability and played with a different style than most English players. The talent and potential was there, so it was a good punt. I'm not sure how the injuries have affected him but it'd be nice if he put his head down and worked hard for a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.