Nicky Butt arrested | Feb 2020: Assault charge dropped

dev1l

This incident shows how hypocritical the press is. They re making lot of noises about someone accused of "hurting his wife".
But then they close their eyes about someone accused of murdering a journalist and atrocities committed in his own country....

Kostur

海尔的老板
He's allegedly hurt his wife which is a criminal offense. That wouldn't have costed Sir Alex his job. He was too valuable for the club. However Butt is the least of the class of 92. He's currently doing a job that is largely cerimonial. We can easily replace him with Fletcher, Scholes or even Evra and no one would notice the difference
Jesus sort yourself out. Why would SAF beat Nicky Butt's wife?

Sweet Square

We bought Rojo whilst he was being sued in Argentina for hitting someone in the head with a glass bottle. You can potentially kill someone like that, yet the guy is still here so I don't expect Butt to be fired.
I don't hit women. I'd never hit a woman. I hit a woman who was trying to hit me with a bottle! That's different, that's self defense, isn't it? Or a woman who did karate.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ceremonial?
"Nicky Butt is promoted to the new position of Head of First Team Development, reporting directly to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Nicky will work closely with the manager and the first team coaching staff to continue the strong bond between the Academy and the first team, to create a seamless journey for young players stepping up to the next level. He will continue to be a key contributor on all major Academy decisions and will be part of the Technical Board on wider football leadership."

Does that job even exist in football especially when we've got a manager whose already surrounded by Phelan, Mckenna and Carrick? Meanwhile our new head of the academy is more experienced then he is having covered that role at Sheffield United and then Watford FC. It does stink of a be kicked upstairs kind of job.

Last edited:

devilish

Jesus sort yourself out. Why would SAF beat Nicky Butt's wife?
English is my third language so my apologies. My point is that if Sir Alex beat his wife then he would probably not lose his job as he was too valuable for the club. However things are different with Butt. He's easily replaceable.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
It might be his ex-wife but she's still his property to do with whatever the hell he pleases. Much ado about nothing.

I'm joking, but it is much ado about nothing, he'll get a slap on the wrist and a small(in relation to his wealth)fine, she'll get a new phone, part-ownership of a des res on Lake Como and all the publicity she craves.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It might be his ex-wife but she's still his property to do with whatever the hell he pleases. Much ado about nothing.

I'm joking, but it is much ado about nothing, he'll get a slap on the wrist and a small(in relation to his wealth)fine, she'll get a new phone, part-ownership of a des res on Lake Como and all the publicity she craves.
let's see how this plays out.

*edit*

Hate white texters.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's allegedly hurt his wife which is a criminal offense. That wouldn't have costed Sir Alex his job. He was too valuable for the club. However Butt is the least of the class of 92. He's currently doing a job that is largely cerimonial. We can easily replace him with Fletcher, Scholes or even Evra and no one would notice the difference
His position as head of academy isn't ceremonial, the "promotion" he got is, but he still does his previous job too which isn't at all easily replaceable.

devilish

His position as head of academy isn't ceremonial, the "promotion" he got is, but he still does his previous job too which isn't at all easily replaceable.
Butt is not the head of the academy anymore. He was replaced by Nick Cox whose got way more experience then Nicky had in the role having been head of the academy at both Sheffield United and Watford. Butt has been 'promoted' as the "Head of First Team Development, reporting directly to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. His job is to work closely with the manager and the first team coaching staff to continue the strong bond between the Academy and the first team, to create a seamless journey for young players stepping up to the next level. Meanwhile he will continue to be a key contributor on all major Academy decisions and will be part of the Technical Board on wider football leadership."

That's alot of fluff with no real beef at all. It does sound as the classic being kicked upstairs job.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Butt is not the head of the academy anymore. He was replaced by Nick Cox whose got way more experience then Nicky had in the role having been head of the academy at both Sheffield United and Watford. Butt has been 'promoted' as the "Head of First Team Development, reporting directly to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. His job is to work closely with the manager and the first team coaching staff to continue the strong bond between the Academy and the first team, to create a seamless journey for young players stepping up to the next level. Meanwhile he will continue to be a key contributor on all major Academy decisions and will be part of the Technical Board on wider football leadership."

That's alot of fluff with no real beef at all. It does sound as the classic being kicked upstairs job.
Ah fair enough didn't realise Cox had fully taken over the role, thought they still shared it.

devilish

Ah fair enough didn't realise Cox had fully taken over the role, thought they still shared it.
Officially butt has been promoted and is still a key contributor of key academy decisions. However Cox has more experience then him + he reports to John Murtough, Head of Football Development not to Butt.

As said this sounds like a kicked upstairs kind of job

Red_toad

We bought Rojo whilst he was being sued in Argentina for hitting someone in the head with a glass bottle. You can potentially kill someone like that, yet the guy is still here so I don't expect Butt to be fired.
By Caf logic that must have been fine as it wasn’t him cutting his ex wife’s finger, probably whilst snatching the phone he broke off her.
Hate threads like this, get so many judgemental shite stirring plebs, who think people should lose their jobs for the slightest thing.
Whatever did or didn’t happen remains to be seen, by reading what’s available, she’s got a slight cut on her finger and a broken iPhone. The club will make the decision once he’s had his day in court.

RMD83

I didn’t even know this had happened. Do we know the context of this “assault”?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Charged today with "assault by beating" his wife.

Could do six months inside if found guilty. The trial will be in Feb next year.
Shiiiiiiiiit. Doesn’t look good.

With regards to players and their behavior, it’s of course hugely important but when you are head of the academy I mean that just comes with another level of responsibilities.

Generally I’d say anyone found guilty of serious violence should be fecked off. But impossible to conclude anything at this stage.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Shiiiiiiiiit. Doesn’t look good.

With regards to players and their behavior, it’s of course hugely important but when you are head of the academy I mean that just comes with another level of responsibilities.

Generally I’d say anyone found guilty of serious violence should be fecked off. But impossible to conclude anything at this stage.

Let’s get this right.

he hasn’t beaten her like the headlines make out. She had a small cut on her hand and a broken phone. That could have happened in a scuffle or trying to grab the phone first.

while it’s an upsetting situation it’s a far cry from him bartering her like people are suggesting.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Leaving aside the charge itself, he’s the most successful of the class of 92 that’s still in football.

He clearly knows football. It’s not a ceremonial job at all.

FujiVice

Call me cynical, but I'm getting the feeling this Class of 92 arent the nice boys we were told they were.

Suedesi

Officially butt has been promoted and is still a key contributor of key academy decisions. However Cox has more experience then him + he reports to John Murtough, Head of Football Development not to Butt.

As said this sounds like a kicked upstairs kind of job
Butt and Cocks eh :p

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Call me cynical, but I'm getting the feeling this Class of 92 arent the nice boys we were told they were.
I think Beckham is just about the only one I like on a personal level, previously Butt too.

Scholes - Grumpy git, bit arrogant, absolutely no interest in backing the team if they’re not winning.

Big toe - Bland weirdo with no self awareness

Gary - In love with the United he was a part of, basically an ABU now.

Giggs - Another without any self awareness, shagged his brother’s wife ect, all the charisma of a brown shoe.

devilish

Leaving aside the charge itself, he’s the most successful of the class of 92 that’s still in football.

He clearly knows football. It’s not a ceremonial job at all.
That's hardly an achievement considered that most of them aren't in football anymore, often after tanking big time (Gaz at Valencia, Scholes at Oldham). So lets analyse his role shall we? He was replaced as head of the academy (a real job) by someone whose more experienced in the job then he is. The club stated that its a promotion and yet Cox doesn't report to him but to John Murtough whose basically have Nicky's nearly exactly job title (Head of Football Development vs Head of First Team Development).

United describes his role as "Nicky will work closely with the manager and the first team coaching staff to continue the strong bond between the Academy and the first team, to create a seamless journey for young players stepping up to the next level. He will continue to be a key contributor on all major Academy decisions and will be part of the Technical Board on wider football leadership". That's pretty A Class BS to me since we've already stocked with coaches both as first team level (Phelan, Carrick, Mckenna) and at academy level.

So to answer your question I think both Giggs and Phil are in a better position to him. At least the two have real football related jobs.

Last edited:

devilish

they were developed to become soldiers which was part of an army that need to win at all cost. Winners are rarely nice people.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
they were developed to become soldiers which was part of an army that need to win at all cost. Winners are rarely nice people.
No, they're just dour and thick.

Acole9

Outstanding
He should be arrested for his stupid comments about Solskjaer today.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
United describes his role as "Nicky will work closely with the manager and the first team coaching staff to continue the strong bond between the Academy and the first team, to create a seamless journey for young players stepping up to the next level. He will continue to be a key contributor on all major Academy decisions and will be part of the Technical Board on wider football leadership". That's pretty A Class BS to me since we've already stocked with coaches both as first team level (Phelan, Carrick, Mckenna) and at academy level.
Or, Nicky Butt has now got the second most important job at the club on the football side, we'll keep churning out talented kids that will never change but the jump from the 23s to the first-team is bigger than it ever has been and will continue to get bigger while the Premier League are still calling the shots - Nicky on an individual level, or in a small group situation can focus alongside the fitness coaches on what the players need to improve on which will give them more chance of making the step up, and then staying there.

Nicky is not a daft lad, he didn't want his original position and was reluctant to take it, if he thought he was being 'kicked upstairs' he'd quit.