Nicky Butt arrested | Feb 2020: Assault charge dropped

Stringer

I agree with that. I know that there are probably significant differences but it Just throws up the continuing debate that " if it had been a man, they would have thrown the book at him."

It appears that argument is pure fallacy
No it doesn't make it appear like that and for reasons you have stated yourself. The two situations seem clearly different.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I agree with that. I know that there are probably significant differences but it Just throws up the continuing debate that " if it had been a man, they would have thrown the book at him."

It appears that argument is pure fallacy
The pure fallacy is you acting like smashing a lamp over someone's head in their sleep and trying to kill them is the same as trying to take a phone out of a woman's hand too aggressively.

Two situations not even in the realm of being the same thing.

It appears your argument is pure fallacy.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The pure fallacy is you acting like smashing a lamp over someone's head in their sleep and trying to kill them is the same as trying to take a phone out of a woman's hand too aggressively.

Two situations not even in the realm of being the same thing.

It appears your argument is pure fallacy.
Straw man argument if ever I saw one

Inigo Montoya

Think you're in the wrong here.
Not really, I was questioning the ridiculous theories that if a man commits an alleged assault against a woman he would get the book thrown at him and a woman would tend to get the benefit of the doubt. It clearly depends on the case and facts not the gender of the assailant. This was clearly brought up by a lot of men on various social media platforms who clearly have take a misogynist view on this.

I wasn't suggesting that what Butt was charged with was in any way worse or lesser than the incident involving Flack. It was having some faith in the justice system that we have, that would look at each case on it's merits and not whether the assailant or perpetrator was male/female/trans or however they identified themselves, and if they were a celebrity or ordinary citizen.

I wasn't equating the two offences as one poster suggested..hence the straw man reference

TheReligion

Abusive
Very interesting in the current climate, especially with the Caroline Flack case
Guessing difference is there was enough evidence without Flack's boyfriend testifying to pursue the case, while the case with Butt hinged on Barlow's testimony.
The CPS can go with a victimless prosecution if they feel it is in the public interest to do so and there is sufficient supplementary evidence. The courts can also compel witnesses to give evidence (and issue an arrest warrant if they don't appear) if they feel it necessary.

Inigo Montoya

Yes, a straw man argument is exactly what you're trying to do. Glad you've realized your posts were ridiculous.
You seem determined to attack the poster rather than confront the issue. Not for the first time I might add.

Your rather angry response sums it up. It's pathetic and sanctimonious.

Now if you want to continue this debate, I suggest you find someone else.

Inigo Montoya

The CPS can go with a victimless prosecution if they feel it is in the public interest to do so and there is sufficient supplementary evidence. The courts can also compel witnesses to give evidence (and issue an arrest warrant if they don't appear) if they feel it necessary.
This is exactly what Nazir Afzal( ex chief prosecutor) was talking about recently.

‘However you must judge each case on its merits. Prosecutors make decisions without fear of favour – I can assure you the celebrity status or otherwise is irrelevant. ‘Most offenders prosecuted aren’t even famous in their own homes.’