Nicky Butt promoted to Head of First Team Development

AshRK

Sounds a good move. Nicky knows all about our youngsters and can give Ole a proper guidance on who is good enough to play for this club.

dutchred

Sounds a good move. Nicky knows all about our youngsters and can give Ole a proper guidance on who is good enough to play for this club.
And given the talent coming through at the moment he seems to have done a good job at the academy

NecssryEvil

I would like to see the list of responsibilities he has, sounds like a bit of a waste of his talents off the top. I mean, do we really need a guy that sits there just to tell OGS that "we have this Greenwood guy I think is pretty good". Not having a go, just wonder what this job looks like on a day to day basis.

nooshka

Is this just a cop out so we don’t employ a ‘director of football’?

Rish Sawhney

I would like to see the list of responsibilities he has, sounds like a bit of a waste of his talents off the top. I mean, do we really need a guy that sits there just to tell OGS that "we have this Greenwood guy I think is pretty good". Not having a go, just wonder what this job looks like on a day to day basis.
He's head of 1st team development. Not reserve team development.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Wasn't he suspended for doing something dumb a few months ago or am I just imagining that?

Player Red

As part of its proud history of developing young players through its world renowned Academy system, Manchester United today announced two changes to its Academy structure.

Nicky Butt is promoted to the new position of Head of First Team Development, reporting directly to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Nicky will work closely with the manager and the first team coaching staff to continue the strong bond between the Academy and the first team, to create a seamless journey for young players stepping up to the next level. He will continue to be a key contributor on all major Academy decisions and will be part of the Technical Board on wider football leadership.

Nick Cox is promoted to Head of Academy. Nick will lead the full Academy programme and will head up both the coaching programme and the operational services, including sports science, education and analysis. In his role he will continue to work closely with Nicky Butt and will report to John Murtough, Head of Football Development.

Ed Woodward, Manchester United Executive Vice Chairman, said:

“These changes will further enhance the excellent work and results we have seen over many decades in our Academy system and enable us to continue our proud traditions of producing world-class players capable of playing and excelling in the first team.”

Nicky Butt said:

“Manchester United is in my DNA and this is a very proud moment for me as I take on this new role. I am passionate about nurturing, developing and coaching the talent we have here to become top players at this club. Under Ole’s leadership, our vision will ensure that we continue to provide the right environment for our young players to thrive in.”

Nick Cox said:

“Having spent over 20 years working to support the development of young people, it is an honour to be asked to lead the Manchester United Academy. Traditionally we have always been leaders in creating an outstanding environment in which young footballers can thrive. Today's changes will further enhance the excellent structure that we have in place to maximise the potential of all of our young players.”
Full PR from manutd.com

Mainoldo

Wasn't he suspended for doing something dumb a few months ago or am I just imagining that?
Domestic violence i believe. But case must have been dropped hence this announcement.

Chairman Steve

What exactly is this “Technical board on wider football leadership” that Simon Stone is alluding too? Is it an already present entity? A new entity?

It makes it sound like it’s a DoF/technical director committee, which sounds promising. He’d be the link between the academy and the first team.

Cox and Butt running the academy, and fannies running the club.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
This is us planning for the future. For whatever reason Ole doesn’t work out and I pray to god he does work out for us. I think Butty will be our future manager. I don’t want it to happen as I love Ole but I feel he will be next in line to take it. Just an opinion.

I feel the work he has done with the kids has been fantastic. I know he has little experience but so what. Again, just an opinion.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Skills

Snitch
Why is he reporting directly to OGS? Ideally he should be reporting to a sporting director.

AshRK

Why is he reporting directly to OGS? Ideally he should be reporting to a sporting director.
Ideally yes but the issue is we don't have one and that is why everyone in this club reports to Woodward.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
This is us planning for the future. For whatever reason Ole doesn’t work out and I pray to god he does work out for us. I think Butty will be our future manager. I don’t want it to happen as I love Ole but I feel he will be next in line to take it. Just an opinion.

I feel the work he has done with the kids has been fantastic. I know he has little experience but so what. Again, just an opinion.
I can't see that at all. If Ole doesn't work out, even as idiotic as some of are decisions have been, I dont think anyone is going to say "hey, what about this guy who knows the club but has never proven themselves as a manager." The next manager after Ole would have to have a relevant CV.

ash_86

This looks like a good move. Nicky knows the academy inside out and he can facilitate young players direct path to the first team with this new role. Our academy just became even more marketable.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Butt's had about 15 games as a manager, just leave him behind the scenes where he's doing good work.

Andersons Dietician

Head of first team development sounds to me like the role of a football director. Surely he’s not just been given this title to help guide the academy players in to the 1st team as that seems like a pointless position.

If it’s developing the first team then surely that would mean looking at improving the first team with outside purchases as well as bringing through what we have.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Kind of sounds like the job Sebastian Kehl is doing at Dortmund.

HJ12

I reckon this role will be a lot wider that what we're currently imagining. Bringing the youngsters through should hopefully just be 1 part of his job description, since his new title implies he has to "develop the first team". To me, that means looking after the overall evolution of the first team, whether it be by facilitating a pathway for the academy players or by sounding out external players that fit the new blueprint we've got going now. Can only hope something like this brings a consistency in style to the team.

Reactions: Sultan

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Head of first team development sounds to me like the role of a football director. Surely he’s not just been given this title to help guide the academy players in to the 1st team as that seems like a pointless position.

If it’s developing the first team then surely that would mean looking at improving the first team with outside purchases as well as bringing through what we have.
I think that’s a great shout. It’s what I thought initially.
It’s what Paul Mitchell at RB does yet everyone seems to think he’s the answer

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Don't get it.

We had two roles... the academy (Butt) and the first team (Ole). Presumably they talked to each other?

Now we seem to have three?

Missing something?
Butt’s role at the academy was overseeing that operation. This is surely a wider role;bringing in players into the 1st team either from the academy or outside

redshaw

Makes sense as he will know the players coming through now like Greenwood and Chong and should give Ole good assistance with the first team duties.