Nicolò Zaniolo...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
19 year old midfielder playing for Roma. Looks some talent.

Not your typical Italian player. 6’3, plays as a 10, has great skill and technique, but is like a PL midfielder in style. Somewhere between a 10 and an 8 I think. He has great physical attributes to go with his silk, puts tackles in, and has a great engine and can drive with the ball. Has a but of Barkley or Gerrard about him.

Will be interesting to see him develop, but he looks tailored for the PL. That said, will probably end up at Juve for a packet of crisps somehow.

Customary YouTube:

AngryCroat

Roma has "most talented young team" according to some people. For me this guy is the only talent worth mentioning. Potential to be world class.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric's Seagull

Although I have never heard of him before he looks decent from them videos. Here is an article which I found interesting about him

Nicola Zaniolo

Below are what I think are some valid points from the article

Creative passer
As you’d expect from an Italian attacking midfielder, Zaniolo has very good technique and is a great passer. Zaniolo has a really good left foot and looks to influence the game with creative passing. His vision is superb which helps him spot the right runs made by teammates around him.
Good presser
Zaniolo has proved to be a very good defensive player too. As is important in a Di Francesco team, Zaniolo needs to press. Luckily he presses very well.
Clever use of his physique
As mentioned above Zaniolo has a huge physical frame. That is also very useful in an attacking sense and not only defensively. His physique is particularly handy when holding off opponents to protect the ball. Thanks to a bigger body it’s harder for opponents to get around the Italian and he can, therefore, protect the ball well.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Roma has "most talented young team" according to some people. For me this guy is the only talent worth mentioning. Potential to be world class.
To think Roma got him from Inter last summer, plus about 25m, for a 30 year old Naingollan, you have to say it was great business.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Didn't Inter also release Coutinho?
Pretty sure they sold him. He joined very young and was loaned to Espanyol for a while, but Inter didn’t really have a place for him.

Think he played under Poch at Espanyol.

AngryCroat

To think Roma got him from Inter last summer, plus about 25m, for a 30 year old Naingollan, you have to say it was great business.
Yes, but back than people thought that it was a great business for Inter. Naingollan was rated very highly for some time. It was also good decision from Roma to get him chances to play in first team too. This is why I don't understand why they still hang on to players like Kolarov or Dzeko.

Reactions: KM

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yes, but back than people thought that it was a great business for Inter. Naingollan was rated very highly for some time. It was also good decision from Roma to get him chances to play in first team too. This is why I don't understand why they still hang on to players like Kolarov or Dzeko.
Indeed. Zaniolo is already worth more than Inter paid for Naingollan.

I also think Dzeko at least is worth keeping. He’s still quality.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Zaniolo looks very talented player. He even got a national team call up without even playing in Serie A.

Roma got superb deal, at the time of the deal it looked like Inter got very good deal but now with injury problems and how talented Zaniolo is, it looks like Roma got this one.

Fosu-Mens

19 year old midfielder playing for Roma. Looks some talent.

Not your typical Italian player. 6’3, plays as a 10, has great skill and technique, but is like a PL midfielder in style. Somewhere between a 10 and an 8 I think. He has great physical attributes to go with his silk, puts tackles in, and has a great engine and can drive with the ball. Has a but of Barkley or Gerrard about him.
Is it just me or is his playstyle somewhat reminiscent of Matic. Given that he is good on the ball, can press, pass and use his body he would work well as a player in the Matic role at the club.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Scored 2 goals tonight in a big CL knock-out tie. 18 year old midfielder.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Great talent. Him and Militao by the way.

Fosu-Mens

Scored 2 goals tonight in a big CL knock-out tie. 18 year old midfielder.
Welcome to his fanclub mate. Really promising. Can play on the wing, can play as a midfielder, as a CAM and got the physicality to battle with most centrebacks as well. Got that mixture of physicality(strength and movement) and technical ability that few players possess.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Welcome to his fanclub mate. Really promising. Can play on the wing, can play as a midfielder, as a CAM and got the physicality to battle with most centrebacks as well. Got that mixture of physicality(strength and movement) and technical ability that few players possess.
Haha, I made this thread I’m definitely a fan so far. Not your typical Italian midfielder at all. Looks PL made.

Fosu-Mens

Haha, I made this thread I’m definitely a fan so far. Not your typical Italian midfielder at all. Looks PL made.
I know i know, but if you were only impressed with him before, you are now a big fan? If he got the engine he could be deadly beside Pogba. And he can play in most offensive positions.
Pogba and Zaniolo with a fast roadracer behind them.

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
Describe the typical italian midfielder?

Anyway as Inter fan it hurts so bad that he's another young supertalent that we lose for nothing (Nainggolan in this case),shame on our amateur management…. he's going to be one of the best players in Europe (and probably will end up to Juve too)

Fosu-Mens

Anyway as Inter fan it hurts so bad that he's another young supertalent that we lose for nothing (Nainggolan in this case),shame on our amateur management…. he's going to be one of the best players in Europe (and probably will end up to Juve too)
Monchi would not say no to £60m? Likes to make deals.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Typical Italian (forward) midfielder is often smaller and doesn’t have great physical qualities. Supremely technical, but not with the power of Zaniolo.

Thisistheone

Only found out last night that Inter let him go as part of the Nainggolan transfer. Mad.

::sonny::

Only found out last night that Inter let him go as part of the Nainggolan transfer. Mad.
Classic by Inter:

- Sold for few bucks Roberto Carlos
- Sold for few bucks Bergkamp
- Pirlo to AC Milan
- Swapped Seedorf for Coco
- Swapped Cannavaro for Carini
- Sold for few millions Coutinho
- Sold Bonucci for 4 millioni

and hundreds more

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Has to be frustrating for their fans. It doesn't seem right. Almost like it happens on purpose.

Thisistheone

Classic by Inter:

- Pirlo to AC Milan

and hundreds more
Man, that is some list.

Feel for the Inter fans.

roonster09

Scout
Given the current turmoil at the club, and the arrival of Ranieri. How will this affect the availability of Zaniolo?
He signed just last summer and he isn't the player we need. He is very good talent but we need better players for now. From the games I watched he looked comfortable playing as attacking mid.

AgentP

Classic by Inter:

- Pirlo to AC Milan

and hundreds more
I don't think any club has screwed up this much. Chelsea selling KDB and Salah looks like nothing compared to this.

Fosu-Mens

He signed just last summer and he isn't the player we need. He is very good talent but we need better players for now. From the games I watched he looked comfortable playing as attacking mid.
If Sancho is not available this summer, then Zaniolo would be perfect. He got that rare mix of abilites with his mobility, strength and technical ability that Pogba got. He has played on the left for Roma under the former coach, was their "main creator" under him. Can defend, press, pass, two footed, can play a number of positions.

Would not rate him as high as Sancho or de Ligt, but with the combination of physique and technical abilities he could become really good. And if he is available for £50m then we should be all over him. With the turmoil at the club and how clueless they have looked under Ranieri he might want to leave that sinking ship(as they seem to be atm).

roonster09

Scout
If Sancho is not available this summer, then Zaniolo would be perfect. He got that rare mix of abilites with his mobility, strength and technical ability that Pogba got. He has played on the left for Roma under the former coach, was their "main creator" under him. Can defend, press, pass, two footed, can play a number of positions.

Would not rate him as high as Sancho or de Ligt, but with the combination of physique and technical abilities he could become really good. And if he is available for £50m then we should be all over him. With the turmoil at the club and how clueless they have looked under Ranieri he might want to leave that sinking ship(as they seem to be atm).
What you said is correct but he isnt a winger or a center mid, so we will end up having same holes in the squad.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Typical Italian (forward) midfielder is often smaller and doesn’t have great physical qualities. Supremely technical, but not with the power of Zaniolo.
Slightly off topic, but that's the perfect description for Stefano Sensi at Sassuolo. Don't think he will ever be a United quality central midfielder so this isn't an endorsement (more of a Sevilla/Lazio level player as things stand), but he's a reference point for the team as the de facto metronome under De Zerbi, consistently good in terms of distribution and ball retention and press-resistance, and seems quite combative despite his small-ish stature (though he doesn't have great positional awareness or discipline).

Fosu-Mens

What you said is correct but he isnt a winger or a center mid, so we will end up having same holes in the squad.
He has played most attacking positions for Roma, including striker. He is able to create from all areas on the pitch. And with his physicality and technical ability he could become a similar player to PP, but left footed and creating on the right side. He is also good when pressing. If PP leaves next summer (some deity forbid) he could step in and perform in the same role as him.

Fosu-Mens

Slightly off topic, but that's the perfect description for Stefano Sensi at Sassuolo. Don't think he will ever be a United quality central midfielder so this isn't an endorsement (more of a Sevilla/Lazio level player as things stand), but he's a reference point for the team as the de facto metronome under De Zerbi, consistently good in terms of distribution and ball retention and press-resistance, and seems quite combative despite his small-ish stature (though he doesn't have great positional awareness or discipline).

Verratti lesser known and able twin brother? Contract ends next summer, and he would not cost the world. Low risk and sensible transfer. Even if he is not a first team player he would add something to the squad/midfield that we certainly need for a low price. If he does not work out we would be able to get the same as we paid for him if we sell him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Noticed he got a start and a goal for Italy in their last game.