Nicolò Zaniolo...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
His recent excellent form and goalscoring have come while playing in a similar role to Alli in 16/17 btw, as a shadow striker

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I would say his best position is as a shadow striker like @giorno mentioned. A player with his physical, technical and goalscoring abilities needs to be played closer to goal in a central role. Shares similarities to the ex Brazilian player Kaka which Zaniolo alludes to in the below article. Zaniolo himself feels he could play a deeper midfield role and is ready to play in any position which is required of him. But surprisingly he likes playing the deeper role. He could potentially play as a RWF, #10, #8, #6 which would make him a dream for any manager/Head Coach due to the tactical flexibility he provides. The below article is a good read..

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ep/19/nicolo-zaniolo-roma-totti-serie-a-italy

"As a kid, because I had technical skills, I always played as a No 10 but I like playing as an eight or even a defensive midfielder. For now, I’ll play in any position, but maybe one day I will settle a little deeper, unless a manager comes in and sees me totally as a forward playmaker. I will play anywhere as long as I’m on the pitch.”

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
I mean, @ForeverRoma93 doesnt think so.
I don’t care anyway as long as he comes. I think he’s the hard working, creative spark we desperately need. Get it done
I'm being a bit cautious when I say he shouldn't move to the Premier League just yet. One of the big advantages he has in Serie A is time on the ball which he won't get from the majority of the teams in the PL. I think we've seen a lot of good young players from aboard come over to England with a lot of hype who then haven't delivered. Of course there are exceptions like Coutinho for example but I think what Zaniolo needs to is a consistent run of games in a league like Serie A for experience. He's young and he has his whole career in front of him so I really don't think he needs to rush into a move.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He's not fast on the wing for the Premier League in my opinion but he's showing a good footballing brain with his movement and linkup play so if he were to sign for United (I think it's too soon for him to leave personally), I'd like to see him operate behind Martial with Rashford and James on the wings with the pace.
@Rozay

He looks also quite capable of playing False 9 because boy can he make the passes and score those headers :drool:. As you said his technique is better centralised.

I love a good young English player more than anyone- but neither am I crying for Sancho, Maddison, Rice & whoever else all to come in an take every spot either.

I like this guys Versatility alot.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm being a bit cautious when I say he shouldn't move to the Premier League just yet. One of the big advantages he has in Serie A is time on the ball which he won't get from the majority of the teams in the PL. I think we've seen a lot of good young players from aboard come over to England with a lot of hype who then haven't delivered. Of course there are exceptions like Coutinho for example but I think what Zaniolo needs to is a consistent run of games in a league like Serie A for experience. He's young and he has his whole career in front of him so I really don't think he needs to rush into a move.
The problem for us in our current predicament is that we can't afford to wait for talents like Zaniolo to become even bigger household names due to the price exploding and other big clubs entering the auction. From a United perspective we have to be alittle more proactive and identify and seal the deal before all that happens.

With the Euros coming up in the summer and Zaniolo looking like someone that will be a starter for Italy. It would be sensible for United to try and strike a deal with Roma with Smalling going the other way. A good showing from the youngster at a major tournament will put us at a considerable disadvantage due to our current issues.

Bebestation

The problem for us in our current predicament is that we can't afford to wait for talents like Zaniolo to become even bigger household names due to the price exploding and other big clubs entering the auction. From a United perspective we have to be alittle more proactive and identify and seal the deal before all that happens.

With the Euros coming up in the summer and Zaniolo looking like someone that will be a starter for Italy. It would be sensible for United to try and strike a deal with Roma with Smalling going the other way. A good showing from the youngster at a major tournament will put us at a considerable disadvantage due to our current issues.
And we can give them Darmian on a discount too :drool:

theklr

Seems there is a rumour we are trying to do a swap deal with Smalling and this guy - would be good business

L1nk

Apparently available this summer, though is also a top Juventus target. How good is this guy? He's still only 21, and a midfielder, would he fit into our team?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Apparently available this summer, though is also a top Juventus target. How good is this guy? He's still only 21, and a midfielder, would he fit into our team?
We have been linked with VDB, Grealish and similar. He would make a great alternative, and we could potentially do a deal involving Chris Smalling too to cover half the fee.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's back from injury and put in a very good performance in his first game back against Juventus.

I'd have him over Grealish but he's not for sale this summer.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
That turn and run is brilliant.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Whatever we're willing to offer for Grealish we should first offer to to Roma for Zaniolo IMO. Zaniolo is a better player and 4 years younger.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Italian players usually do not work in England. Not in the medium or long term at least.

Icemav

He's back from injury and put in a very good performance in his first game back against Juventus.

I'd have him over Grealish but he's not for sale this summer.

Those were seriously seriously impressive game highlights. His physical prowess is eyecatching, like watching a young R9 or Zlatan. A Man amongst men already.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Doesn't he play at right or middle ? We are signing Sancho and just invested in Bruno. He is not coming here to sit on the bench for sure.

Grealish case is entirely different. He is 26 and is a huge fan of the club. Would jump at the first opportunity.

AJ VII

Doesn't he play at right or middle ? We are signing Sancho and just invested in Bruno. He is not coming here to sit on the bench for sure.

Grealish case is entirely different. He is 26 and is a huge fan of the club. Would jump at the first opportunity.
Grealish is 25 in september and would be a great signing, could get rid of alot of deadweight because of his versatility.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

I believe he would start ahead of Bruno if he was signed. Would take abit of time to adapt to the league though.

He can play on the right and middle. Best role is as at AM.

Jackal981

Watch Roma hardball us for 100m if we try to buy him while they cannot cough up 3m for Smalling. Are they that destitute ? Looks like League One team finance

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Italian players usually do not work in England. Not in the medium or long term at least.
He’s very much a ‘Premier League player’. He’s not a typical Italian #10 - he has some similarities to De Bruyne or Gerrard with his strength, drive and energy. He’s also 6ft+.

He’ll come to the PL at some point I believe, and would be a wise love from us if the reports of a few weeks ago of a €50m euro price are true. Bigger talent than Grealish to me (bigger talent than Bruno too I believe), and we have negotiation leverage with Roma in the form of Chris Smalling.

Fosu-Mens

He’s very much a ‘Premier League player’. He’s not a typical Italian #10 - he has some similarities to De Bruyne or Gerrard with his strength, drive and energy. He’s also 6ft+.

He’ll come to the PL at some point I believe, and would be a wise love from us if the reports of a few weeks ago of a €50m euro price are true. Bigger talent than Grealish to me (bigger talent than Bruno too I believe), and we have negotiation leverage with Roma in the form of Chris Smalling.
My only issue with Zaniolo is regarding his best position. He got the physical and defensive abilities to play as a CDM, and the technical abilities to play as a striker or a winger. Personally I think he could go the furthest as a player if he was played as a central midfielder and he improved his passing. He is a tank and would throw the usual 5'11 midfielders around and run past the taller players. Would be physically untouchable and extremely difficult to press as he would either pass or move the ball past a press on his own.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
My only issue with Zaniolo is regarding his best position. He got the physical and defensive abilities to play as a CDM, and the technical abilities to play as a striker or a winger. Personally I think he could go the furthest as a player if he was played as a central midfielder and he improved his passing. He is a tank and would throw the usual 5'11 midfielders around and run past the taller players. Would be physically untouchable and extremely difficult to press as he would either pass or move the ball past a press on his own.
I see him operating as a 10/8. Again, very similarly to how KDB or a Gerrard would operate, or Pogba before Ole decided to play him in a double-pivot!

Bebestation

I only want Sancho because he is English. I'd much prefer a left footed player like Zaniolo over him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
My no.1 choice if Pogba leaves. I can see him playing in Pogba's current position
Pogba’s current position is a joke anyway. He has no licence there, and Zaniolo would suffer similarly if told to sit deep and dictate. In Pogba’s role from last season? Yea, he’d be brilliant there. In our current set up, he’d be fighting Bruno.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag

Not talking about the style. I also believe his style is direct and suits the Premier League.

The human element is the one that worries me. The Premier League simply has no track record of great Italian players thriving. The only guy I can think of who came and lasted, albeit at a late stage in his career, was Zola.

The environment does not agree with their desires. It's simple.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not talking about the style. I also believe his style is direct and suits the Premier League.

The human element is the one that worries me. The Premier League simply has no track record of great Italian players thriving. The only guy I can think of who came and lasted, albeit at a late stage in his career, was Zola.

The environment does not agree with their desires. It's simple.
I doubt it is, at all.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Pogba’s current position is a joke anyway. He has no licence there, and Zaniolo would suffer similarly if told to sit deep and dictate. In Pogba’s role from last season? Yea, he’d be brilliant there. In our current set up, he’d be fighting Bruno.
Pogba's role is to support Bruno when we are attacking and progress the ball from deep when we build up play from the back. Zaniolo can do that.