Nicolas Otamendi 2016/17

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He is one of the worst defenders I've seen in ages.
I have never seen a CB spending so much time on the floor.

Skills

Snitch
Theres a good reason Rojo has more international caps than him

binary bot
It was blatantly obvious he'd turn out shite. You can't be that reckless and be a good centre back. He dives into everything.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Apparently he was a top 3 CB in La Liga during 14/15.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
What the feck was he doing for Chelsea's second goal? Allows Costa to completely skin him.

Raw

Stones and Otamendi as your CB pairing with Bravo in goal is a disaster waiting to happen.

cyberman

I honestly believe if he didn't look like a hardnut then he wouldn't have been as rated as long as he has.

izec

Glad he is there. CB youngsters should watch his game closely and learn not how to do it. Today was a good day for that, with 3 CB clowns on the pitch.

Loublaze

ATLien
So many wanted him at United because of his beard, tats and bad boy looks. We already have an Argentinian defender like that minus the beard.

Rob67

He makes Rojo look like Maldini. We dodged a bullet, he's shite.

kr0nix

I remember the outrage on here when we didn't sign him
I'll hold my hands up, I was one of those people.
I don't watch Otamendi at City that often, but when I do, I notice that most of his errors seem to be in relation to timing, overcommitment and positioning, all inherent risks of his playing style. For an aggressive ball-winner, I feel like he isn't physically imposing enough in duels to continue playing high block. I can see him doing better in a more defensively-oriented system than City's though.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Is Pep asking too much of his defenders?
Definitely. Kolarov is one of 3 CBs and he's got only Fernandinho in front of him, relying of defensive contributions from the likes of Aguero, Silva and Sane. He tried to make it a little bit better by putting Clichy on for Sane but then you're asking Clichy to be influential in attack.

Pep is thrusting his players into his tactics whilst Conte uses a tactic around his players.

In almost every game that City has won they've won it by dominating the first 30 minutes or so and going a goal or 2 up. The teams that they've thrashed are all teams that have had big problems with defending this season.

Jaybomb

Hes a great defender whos out of form.

I love how bad games define a player. Nobody chooses to remembers the good. Rojo and Fellaini are big examples of this. They had a lot of excellent games in a United shirt. Everyone would rather remember the one time Rojo conceded a penalty when he was playing out of position at LB instead. Or Fellaini running the ball out of play against Bayern. Lets just ignore the fact that Fellaini's goals and performances largely contributed to our FA Cup win shall we? Any other club would have Marouane down as a hero if he did that for them.

We're too spoilt. Thats our problem. If a winger is not as good as Ronaldo, hes rubbish. Look at Nani. Great player but because he wasn't Cristiano, he got flack. If a CM is not Roy Keane version 2, hes also rubbish. Everyone is their own individual. Stop the comparisons.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I'm not. We would be better if he was in the side. One goal doesn't change that.
He's been dogshit ever since he's signed. Calamitous defender. All our defenders are miles better than him even Rojo.

Marcelinho87

He's been dogshit ever since he's signed. Calamitous defender. All our defenders are miles better than him even Rojo.
I think this is a little harsh.

Rojo has only ever looked poor at LB, he has impressed me at CB most times he has played there.. I think he, Blind and Jones (if he stays fit of course) should be competing for a spot alongside Bailly, Smalling is our worst CB imo.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Hes a great defender whos out of form.

I love how bad games define a player. Nobody chooses to remembers the good. Rojo and Fellaini are big examples of this. They had a lot of excellent games in a United shirt. Everyone would rather remember the one time Rojo conceded a penalty when he was playing out of position at LB instead. Or Fellaini running the ball out of play against Bayern. Lets just ignore the fact that Fellaini's goals and performances largely contributed to our FA Cup win shall we? Any other club would have Marouane down as a hero if he did that for them.

We're too spoilt. Thats our problem. If a winger is not as good as Ronaldo, hes rubbish. Look at Nani. Great player but because he wasn't Cristiano, he got flack. If a CM is not Roy Keane version 2, hes also rubbish. Everyone is their own individual. Stop the comparisons.
This place is full of extremes, in fact probably all Football Forums are to be fair.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
People aren't really comparing him to Rojo are they? Laughable.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet

Rojo has only ever looked poor at LB, he has impressed me at CB most times he has played there.. I think he, Blind and Jones (if he stays fit of course) should be competing for a spot alongside Bailly, Smalling is our worst CB imo.
He's had plenty of shockers at CB as well. Car crash of a defender at the best of times. Smalling is far better than Rojo, it's not even close. But this is a thread for laughing at Otamendi. Let's keep it that way.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I actually think he's a good CB.

He has been good for Argentina and was for Valencia, maybe Pep is having him play out of his comfort zone but he will learn to play in that system.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Smalling our worst? Not sure how you can come to that conclusion. Last season he was one of the best in the league if not the best.