Nicolas Pépé

izec

I'd rather us pay double for Sancho..
We need someone in the summer, not sure Sancho is available. I would snap up the best one available come the summer instead of waiting for Dembele or Sancho to be on the market.

mav_9me

We need someone in the summer, not sure Sancho is available. I would snap up the best one available come the summer.
That's the main problem I see. I would make an offer dortmund can't refuse. After all dembele was there for only a year no?

izec

That's the main problem I see. I would make an offer dortmund can't refuse. After all dembele was there for only a year no?
Yeah, but he got promised if Barca come calling they would let him go. Dembele was an exception. Sancho will stay there for another season, we wont be offering them that much that they would sell

sam147

To counter your point, I don't think we should be going after youth talent, rather exactly the Pepe profile player - Depay is the case in point here too actually. Go after players who have developed to a high level at age 23/24, then bring them to United. Pepe will have had two good seasons under his belt in a top league (albeit far off Spain or England granted), has broken in to his national team squad and is ripe for the next step at a time in his career where he can make either an immediate or year later impact for us (see also Lacazette). Signing 18 year olds is really quite pointless at United these days - Depay crumbled under the pressure - he was not young enough to come into our youth teams but was bought at a very young age and expected to make immediate impact - completely unrealistic expectations on our part.
Thats exactly what I meant. He is just coming into his peak and is at the age we need. I think because he was unknown to many they are classing him as a youth talent which he is not.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Yeah, but he got promised if Barca come calling they would let him go. Dembele was an exception. Sancho will stay there for another season, we wont be offering them that much that they would sell
I'd still try to test their resolve with a massive bid in the summer, triple digits with incentives and all that jazz. This is one of those players you don't want to let go anywhere else and we know Dortmund will sell.

izec

I'd still try to test their resolve with a massive bid in the summer, triple digits with incentives and all that jazz. This is one of those players you don't want to let go anywhere else and we know Dortmund will sell.
They will sell sometime, but that isnt this summer. He is only 18, so they will get plenty of money for him in the future. What people also forget is Sancho himself, Dortmund only sold Dembele due to the promise but he also went on strike. I dont see Sancho doing it and willing to move now already, seems a good place there for the next few years. We can try, but i hope we dont lose time and target multiple RW's

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
They will sell sometime, but that isnt this summer. He is only 18, so they will get plenty of money for him in the future. What people also forget is Sancho himself, Dortmund only sold Dembele due to the promise but he also went on strike. I dont see Sancho doing it and willing to move now already, seems a good place there for the next few years. We can try, but i hope we dont lose time and target multiple RW's
If you can guarantee him a starting role which will be easy given he is a huge need for the team to play for one of the best teams in the world prestige-wise and helping becoming part of a project to bring the club back to the top along with a nice wage and a triple-digit fee for Dortmund....I'm sure it's worth at least a shot. You say they won't sell this summer, you may be right, but I also think there's a possibility of getting them to do the same exact thing than with Dembele without him having to go on strike. It's all about the money at the end of the day, especially since Bayern will go ham to get back to the top and Dortmund will struggle to really compete in the long run.

What's for certain is Dortmund's are absolute genius when it comes to the transfer market. They got Dembele for 15m and sold him for almost 10x that amount within a year, they can do the same with Sancho now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m sure about 8 or 9 of his 16 goals have been penalties but he’s having a great season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No problem, here you can see the scale of it, at the WC 35 french players played for an other nation.
Think this is an interesting take on things. To me, these players are (clearly) African. Colonisation has displaced people, but I don’t agree that we should now be looking at the likes of Pépé as a European playing for Ivory Coast.

Maybe my view is a simple one, and I know the conversation has been had on here before. To me, Europeans are white, and African people look like Pépé. To start calling players like him out (not saying you were) for not playing for their country because they chose to represent an African nation is ... I dunno - something, but I don’t have the word.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Think this is an interesting take on things. To me, these players are (clearly) African. Colonisation has displaced people, but I don’t agree that we should now be looking at the likes of Pépé as a European playing for Ivory Coast.

Maybe my view is a simple one, and I know the conversation has been had on here before. To me, Europeans are white, and African people look like Pépé. To start calling players like him out (not saying you were) for not playing for their country because they chose to represent an African nation is ... I dunno - something, but I don’t have the word.
I don't really know where that comes from. Just think about this, Lopes and Guerreiro are born in France, group up and come from the french football system but they play for Portugal. Playing for Portugal doesn't make them not french.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't really know where that comes from. Just think about this, Lopes and Guerreiro are born in France, group up and come from the french football system but they play for Portugal. Playing for Portugal doesn't make them not french.
I get you. I also get Pépé considering himself Ivorian. Perhaps it’s because I am a British-born Nigerian. I’m still asked what country I’m from, largely based on the assumption that Englishmen don’t look like me I imagine. I don’t see anything odd at all with Pépé representing Ivory Coast or Guerreiro Portugal personally.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Its where your heritage comes from that matters.

I was born in Canada and grew up in Canada. My whole family is Bosnian. I have a Bosnian name. I consider myself Bosnian first, Canadian second. Its all about how you were raised and the culture you grew up in. I grew up in Canada but very much a Bosnian household in Canada. If i ever became an athlete I wouldn't give Canada a seconds thought if I had a chance with Bosnia. I love Canada, don't get me wrong, but I still say I'm Bosnian.

Its hard to explain to anyone who isn't in the same situation, but often times if a family got displaced to another country, they still consider themselves natives to their old country and that passes down to their children too. It is very rare that you see a case like Pulisic who considers himself american and even americanizes the pronunciation of his name and straight up ignores all of his roots.

haram

Of course, but their heritage, family and background naturally makes them feel more Portuguese.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag

I was born in Canada and grew up in Canada. My whole family is Bosnian. I have a Bosnian name. I consider myself Bosnian first, Canadian second. Its all about how you were raised and the culture you grew up in. I grew up in Canada but very much a Bosnian household in Canada. If i ever became an athlete I wouldn't give Canada a seconds thought if I had a chance with Bosnia. I love Canada, don't get me wrong, but I still say I'm Bosnian.

Its hard to explain to anyone who isn't in the same situation, but often times if a family got displaced to another country, they still consider themselves natives to their old country and that passes down to their children too. It is very rare that you see a case like Pulisic who considers himself american and even americanizes the pronunciation of his name and straight up ignores all of his roots.
That's because Canada has no real culture outside Quebec and a few other provinces. Very different from France where it is an assimilation problem.

This could offend a few, but people from the old country don't think of first/second gens expats as real 'fils du sol'.

zenith

The thing with big name players that we've bought recently is that they have not lived up to the billing too much, bar pogba.

Perhaps it's time we go back to the policy of buying players with immense potential but still a bit raw and develop then into world class, like this one. Even if he takes time to settle, we still got the likes of lingard and lukaku as cover, who are more than adequate.

The more attractive option is Ofcourse to blow up 100 mill on Sancho, but who's to day he'll be a good fit here. We've got to explore other options as well.

Thiagoal

The thing with big name players that we've bought recently is that they have not lived up to the billing too much, bar pogba.

Perhaps it's time we go back to the policy of buying players with immense potential but still a bit raw and develop then into world class, like this one. Even if he takes time to settle, we still got the likes of lingard and lukaku as cover, who are more than adequate.

The more attractive option is Ofcourse to blow up 100 mill on Sancho, but who's to day he'll be a good fit here. We've got to explore other options as well.
I would argue Sancho is a player of immense potential but still a little raw! The fact he's English also means he'd cost north of 100 million though!

JPRouve

Scout
Of course, but their heritage, family and background naturally makes them feel more Portuguese.

I get you. I also get Pépé considering himself Ivorian. Perhaps it’s because I am a British-born Nigerian. I’m still asked what country I’m from, largely based on the assumption that Englishmen don’t look like me I imagine. I don’t see anything odd at all with Pépé representing Ivory Coast or Guerreiro Portugal personally.
Again. I didn't judge their heritage or their choice to play for an other country or the hierarchy of their nationality. I simply mentioned french born players that play for an other nation, nothing else.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
From my experience in Redcafe no one knows about the French league better then @JPRouve and @kouroux. I wonder what they think of him.

JPRouve

Scout
From my experience in Redcafe no one knows about the French league better then @JPRouve and @kouroux. I wonder what they think of him.
I like him. I would like to see him play in continental competitions though because someone like Lacazette was also pretty good at the same age but was showing his limits in CL.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Thanks @JPRouve and @kouroux

With so many positions that need to be sorted these are the sort of players we should sign ie young players who are at relatively small clubs, top players at the end of their contract and players with minimum fee clauses

Golden Nugget

Have you ever moved back to Bosnia? I was born in Hong Kong, move to Australia when I was 2 and brought up there and moved back to HK 6 years ago. I would call consider myself Chinese in Australia but after moving back, I’m definitely more Australian than I am Chinese (personality and lifestyle wise)

izec

That's because Canada has no real culture outside Quebec and a few other provinces. Very different from France where it is an assimilation problem.

This could offend a few, but people from the old country don't think of first/second gens expats as real 'fils du sol'.
Dont think it has to do with Canada per se, maybe the likelihood would go up or people would adopt the identity quicker if the nation has a stronger identity. I think it has more to do with the country you are coming from and how strong your parents are focused on that nation rather than the country you are assimilating in.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Update, still second on the topscorer list with 18 goals and 9 assists. I think he should be on the list of potential signings for the RW positions, a position which has been neglected for quite a while now at United.

marktan

Update, still second on the topscorer list with 18 goals and 9 assists. I think he should be on the list of potential signings for the RW positions, a position which has been neglected for quite a while now at United.
Haven't a lot of those goals been through him taking penalties though? I do recall watching a video of him a few months back, but can't recall if I was impressed with him or not that much tbh. Sancho would be the one I'd do for.

NoPace

I like him. I would like to see him play in continental competitions though because someone like Lacazette was also pretty good at the same age but was showing his limits in CL.
If we can't get Sancho, I think a 24 year old RW playing at the level Lacazette did at that age (when he was scoring tons of goals in France but struggling in Europe, maybe not as consistently good a holdup as he is now) would still represent a solid B+/A- type signing for us considering how poor our options are there and that Sancho seems like the only complete no-brainer signing we could realistically get, though obviously there are other good options.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Huh. Is this a possibility still? Thought he had signed for Bayern or something, no?

He looks like a real good punt. Would buy both him and Sancho and get rid of Mata.

Jibbs

Ideal signings... Sancho and CHO. Common sense and instant success signings... Pepe and Lozano.

Aloysius's Back 3

Getting interested in the Lad purely for his left foot.

I find it quite a rare thing to have a good left footed RW as a inside forward more so than a pure creator.

I think Sancho is better on the left anyway than the right also so wouldn't have to block his path here.

LazyRed-Ninja

Huh. Is this a possibility still? Thought he had signed for Bayern or something, no?

He looks like a real good punt. Would buy both him and Sancho and get rid of Mata.
I think so. There were reports that Bayern were/are preparing a big offer for him but i recall reading (on the transfer tweets thread) that some people at Bayern are not sure if he is good enough for them. You will see the lists of clubs who will show interest increase as he is practically single handedly leading Lille to a champions league spot this season.

LazyRed-Ninja

Getting interested in the Lad purely for his left foot.

I find it quite a rare thing to have a good left footed RW as a inside forward more so than a pure creator.

I think Sancho is better on the left anyway than the right also so wouldn't have to block his path here.
Malcolm plays for Barcelona and Pepe is having a bigger influence for Lille then Malcom had at Bourdeux. That goes to show that he is definitely becoming the player that top clubs will go after this season (as they are already).

Aloysius's Back 3

Malcolm plays for Barcelona and Pepe is having a bigger influence for Lille then Malcom had at Bourdeux. That goes to show that he is definitely becoming the player that top clubs will go after this season (as they are already).
Was he known much before this season?

The way he plays he has an element of deadliness to his game that reminds me of how consistent Robben was.

It's one of the reasons I think Bayern might be crying out for him if they still want to play such a way.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think so. There were reports that Bayern were/are preparing a big offer for him but i recall reading (on the transfer tweets thread) that some people at Bayern are not sure if he is good enough for them. You will see the lists of clubs who will show interest increase as he is practically single handedly leading Lille to a champions league spot this season.
It was reported by SportBild that people at Bayern don't think he's good enough to play for them..

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It was reported by SportBild that people at Bayern don't think he's good enough to play for them..
Sounds like a mistake we should be ready to capitalise on. Renato Sanches presumably was good enough for them so I would be ready take that risk. I think both him and Sancho would represent good quality attacking signings this summer

Fosu-Mens

Sounds like a mistake we should be ready to capitalise on. Renato Sanches presumably was good enough for them so I would be ready take that risk. I think both him and Sancho would represent good quality attacking signings this summer
Chukwueze. Better player, despite not having the same output. Not that Pepe would not be an upgrade on our current RW options.