Nicolas Pépé

ShinjiNinja26

He’s been poor, Luke Shaw’s just that shite he made him look good the other night. Not saying he won’t improve over time but he’s been very underwhelming so far for the money Arsenal payed for him.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
In many ratings he was MOTM vs United and was brilliant vs West Ham, not counting the EL. Still hasn't reached the expected level considering his fee, but he is a top quality player who is still going thru the transition to the toughest league in world football. Ronaldo took a while and a lot of criticism to settle at OT, I remember rival fans chanting that United bought the wrong Ronaldo. Salah and KDB were similarly trashed at Chelsea, dismissed as frauds and sold back to Europe, but they are now among the PL's top players. Henry scored his first Arsenal goal after 8 games. So it's really daft to say Pepe is a flop.

Last edited:

TsuWave

Colossal flop. Crazy how little it’s made out of it as well.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If he was playing for United you wouldn't hear the end of it.

I personally think any player should be given a year before judgement anyway - just look at how Freds progressed.

Pepe is still fairly young and he needs coaching, you can tell he's a player that's relied on his physiqual skills rather than mental.

romufc

I personally think any player should be given a year before judgement anyway - just look at how Freds progressed.
Only if United fans understood this. One game in and the Bruno thread is popping with crticism.

Quite alot of players take a while to adapt, Fabinho, Laporte, Fred, Keita, Jorginho, Rodri. This is not a simple league.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Only if United fans understood this. One game in and the Bruno thread is popping with crticism.

Quite alot of players take a while to adapt, Fabinho, Laporte, Fred, Keita, Jorginho, Rodri. This is not a simple league.
Less said about those muppets the better. They'd rather try to be proved right than judge somebody fairly.

As you say it's rare anybody comes straight in and is one of the best in the league.

AshRK

I thought he would kick on after his goal against us, turns out the opposite. He has to be given more time but for 72m he has been well below par. Lucky for him he doesn't play for United, he would have been eaten alive.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
One of the worst signings of the last decade.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Less said about those muppets the better. They'd rather try to be proved right than judge somebody fairly.

As you say it's rare anybody comes straight in and is one of the best in the league.
Even players like Salah had spells where they were rubbish in this league before dominating this league.

People assume that footballers are video game personas with a linear path way when it's never the case.

I look at how great Firmino is right now, but it wasn't too long ago people were not so sure about his position as a striker. What happened if Klopp had accepted the United job? That Firmino was playing upfront with shaqiri next to him trying to whip crosses in to him rather than Salah who plays further forward than him at an angle with pace & finishing ability?

However, Klopp came in & adopted his tactics & instead of looking for a lewandowski - utelised a false 9 to create the finishing predominantly from out wide & now we sit by in see of a wonderful player that I don't think many managers could have got the best use out of - atleast to the same standard.

Things just sometimes have to click & not everything does for every player at every club at the specific time under a certain manager playing certain tactics.

That's just another aspect on top of adapting to the league.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Robert Pires was pants for 6 months when he came. He ended up being one of our best players this century so far.

Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp took some time to adjust too.

Pepe might be a flop, but he might not, it's still relatively early.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Robert Pires was pants for 6 months when he came. He ended up being one of our best players this century so far.

Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp took some time to adjust too.

Pepe might be a flop, but he might not, it's still relatively early.
Common sense is not welcome here!

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Why do footballers say they don't like the English cuisine? Specifically players based in London? London has the most diverse cuisine options in the world, obviously I can't back that statement up but it isnt like the UK is littered with fish and chip shops on every corner.

I find that statement ignorant and it shows that he won't adapt.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why do footballers say they don't like the English cuisine? Specifically players based in London? London has the most diverse cuisine options in the world, obviously I can't back that statement up but it isnt like the UK is littered with fish and chip shops on every corner.

He isn't exactly serious and at the end of the day it's a matter of taste. And being in London gives you more opportunity to easily not eat english cuisine, you can go for indian, african, asian, french, italian and many others.

hubbuh

He isn't exactly serious and at the end of the day it's a matter of taste. And being in London gives you more opportunity to easily not eat english cuisine, you can go for indian, african, asian, french, italian and many others.
The English have more types of cheeses than the French. What more does he want?!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

What :lol: ? It's a matter of taste, this ain't something you can debate. You're the one who's being terribly ignorant

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The English have more types of cheeses than the French. What more does he want?!
They don't. And having restaurants of non-English cuisine all over doesn't speak much in favour of English cuisine.

hubbuh

They don't. And having restaurants of non-English cuisine all over doesn't speak much in favour of English cuisine.
They do! The plethora of non-English cuisine in London is a testament to the unparalleled diversity of the city. Isn’t that why people love NYC for food?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think that's his point though.

I'd understand the comment if he'd moved to Stoke or Wigan for example where (please someone correct me if I'm wrong), the fare is probably quite British.

But I've lived in London for a long time and I genuinely cannot remember the last time I ate 'English cuisine'. It shouldn't even be a factor when talking about living in London, you eat pretty much whatever you want to here. Same in fairness in most of the major metropolises of the world.

Food wouldn't necessarily be a major issue if I moved to Paris because, even if I didn't like French food, I can easily eat foods from around the world every day.

As for Pepe himself, I don't think there's much point in judging too much on the first season. Obviously you want them to hit the ground running but if not, I'd wait till the second season before really starting to judge.

JPRouve

Scout

I'd understand the comment if he'd moved to Stoke or Wigan for example where (please someone correct me if I'm wrong), the fare is probably quite British.

But I've lived in London for a long time and I genuinely cannot remember the last time I ate 'English cuisine'. It shouldn't even be a factor when talking about living in London, you eat pretty much whatever you want to here. Same in fairness in most of the major metropolises of the world.

Food wouldn't necessarily be a major issue if I moved to Paris because, even if I didn't like French food, I can easily eat foods from around the world every day.

As for Pepe himself, I don't think there's much point in judging too much on the first season. Obviously you want them to hit the ground running but if not, I'd wait till the second season before really starting to judge.
He wasn't being serious, he was laughing when he said that.

hubbuh

You’ve lived in London for how long and not had a Sunday roast?! Sacrilege!

RedFan84

Supports
Liverpool
He'll be a success as long as he's getting coached by someone who can make use of his strengths. Yes, He's getting outshone by Martinelli and the transfer fee was pretty high. But give him some time.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

He's clearly not woke to the post brexit reality.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean, London has one of the best pizzas you can can find anywhere outside Campania

It's got great food for any palate, you just have to look for it(and when you're rich as a footballer, you don't even need to look very much)

JPRouve

Scout
I mean, London has one of the best pizzas you can can find anywhere outside Campania

It's got great food for any palate, you just have to look for it(and when you're rich as a footballer, you don't even need to look very much)
And pizza isn't english cuisine. People are basically agreeing with him by mentioning everything but english cuisine.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He wasn't being serious, he was laughing when he said that.
Fair enough. Seems its just one of those stereotypes that have to be wheeled out every time a footballer comes over

And pizza isn't english cuisine. People are basically agreeing with him by mentioning everything but english cuisine.
Not really. What people are saying (if he was being serious, which it seems he wasn't) is why on earth he'd even be eating English cuisine in the first place in London. Weather, fair enough, you can't escape. Food....

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You’ve lived in London for how long and not had a Sunday roast?! Sacrilege!
I'll have the occassional roast outside of London when I do a staycation. Big fan of some of the old village pubs around England.

In London, I tend to eat other things if I'm going out. :D

Having said that, if I'm around Kings Cross/Russel Square area, there is an unbelievable fish and chips restaurant near there. I'm not the biggest fan of fish but the chips are superb.

Righteous Steps

English and European cuisine is limited in general. I mean I like Italian food but couldn’t imagine eating pastas and pizza every day, what actually is the benefit of London though is that unlike even big cities in Italy, you can find a wider range of African Caribbean Asian food than in these places, to come London and complain about English cuisine is stupid, half of the restaurants and food shops don’t even serve English food, but you’ll find a Caribbean Chinese Indian or West/North African restaurant on nearly every corner.

JPRouve

Scout
FFS, english are even more touchy about food than french. :lol:

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Food culture is much more than having a bunch of different restaurants in the city.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
English and European cuisine is limited in general. I mean I like Italian food but couldn’t imagine eating pastas and pizza every day, what actually is the benefit of London though is that unlike even big cities in Italy, you can find a wider range of African Caribbean Asian food than in these places, to come London and complain about English cuisine is stupid, half of the restaurants and food shops don’t even serve English food, but you’ll find a Caribbean Chinese Indian or West/North African restaurant on nearly every corner.
We don't eat pizza everyday either :lol:

Nor pasta for that matter. Italian cousine has plenty of variety. In the north-west you're more likely to be served rice than pasta as a first course dish. The main two traditional milanese dishes are rice(risotto alla milanese, which is basically rice with saffron, and parmesan) and the veal cutlet(still feuding with the austrian over who invented it :lol:)

Righteous Steps

We don't eat pizza everyday either :lol:

Nor pasta for that matter. Italian cousine has plenty of variety. In the north-west you're more likely to be served rice than pasta as a first course dish. The main two traditional milanese dishes are rice(risotto alla milanese, which is basically rice with saffron, and parmesan) and the veal cutlet(still feuding with the austrian over who invented it :lol:)
That sounds delightful to be honest .