Nicolas Pepe - Signs for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

fps

Hahaha the youtube scouts are out in force.

It does make me realise the madness of constant managerial changes though, how can players be accurately scouted (and they should be scouted for months) if there's no idea of a style of play they're meant to be fitting into?!

SteveW

Watched a highlights compilation. One of the most frustrating things I've ever watched. 8 minutes of pointless tricks barely pulled off. I'd prefer someone much more direct

Harold_Giles

Watched a highlights compilation. One of the most frustrating things I've ever watched. 8 minutes of pointless tricks barely pulled off. I'd prefer someone much more direct
Well, he did score 20 goals (8 from penalty spot) and assist 11 this season in the league.
16 big chances created.
Came 2nd in each category.

izec

This is the kind of signing I'd love us to make. Productive, hungry and room to improve. Having seen the Mané comparisons I thought I'd find our old Mané thread to see how people rated him at the time we were linked. Reads pretty funny now in hindsight with many posters stating he's the kind of mediocre signing Liverpool make and that we need to sign a better player like Pedro instead...:nervous: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/sadio-mané.408248/
Some posters really embarrassed themselves. Sure nobody on here watched him every game, but Mane was on fire against top teams. His quality was evident. I was always for signing him, but i knew we wouldnt for the price Saints wanted. Forget Pedro, some wanted Bolasie, Berahino or Montero ahead of him :lol: Jesus Christ, it is like people only watch highlights.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
You never know how a player would improve - look at Salah and Mane. Very average signings and see where they are now.

He is played as striker though, right?

SteveW

Well, he did score 20 goals (8 from penalty spot) and assist 11 this season in the league.
16 big chances created.
Came 2nd in each category.
Okish stats. He would annoy the hell out of me though. I'm still a bit irritated from watching that compilation. Please let this be just another journalist guessing

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I take it Pepe is a RW? Therefore it’s Sancho or Pepe, not both?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hmmm. Don't see that in highlight reels do we. I don't know if that's a big worry for me so long as the potential to improve is there.

He looks very physically aware for a winger, which would suit the league.
Yep I don't see it as being a problem either. I think people are pessimistic, but France isn't as easy as people make out. Hitting the numbers he’s managed outside of PSG isn’t easy.
I take it Pepe is a RW? Therefore it’s Sancho or Pepe, not both?
i have a feeling were trying to pressure Dortmund into taking the deal. Maybe even having a deal in the background just in case.

Sancho can play LW pretty well also so it wouldn’t be the end of the world if we had both.

Enigma_87

You know who
You could see Lingard scoring 20 and setting up 11 in Ligue 1?

No chance
Not comparing him to Lingard but:

Lingard scored 8 and assisted 6 in PL in 17/18 in 1822 minutes - zero penalties.

Or 1 goal/assist per 130 mins.

Pepe scored 20 and assisted 11 this season in 3225 mins.

Goal/assist per 104 mins.

If we discount penalties 12 goals, 11 assists or goal/assist per 140 mins.

If you consider the quality of the league and goals/assists from open play Lingard actually has advantage in his best season vs Pepe's best season so far.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Lingard scored 8 and assisted 6 in PL in 17/18 in 1822 minutes - zero penalties.

If you consider the quality of the league and goals/assists from open play Lingard actually has advantage in his best season vs Pepe's best season so far.
Interesting when you put it like that.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

Why are we taking pens off as if they aren't goals. Pepe's on them because he's trusted and good. Lingard is Lingard.

I like some things Lingard has done for us but he can no longer start for us.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Pepe plays in a bad team, it's difficult to understand how he managed to look good in the last two seasons.

Enigma_87

You know who
Interesting when you put it like that.
For the record I rate League 1 higher in terms of attacking stats compared to other leagues like the Dutch or Portuguese one. It would be easier for someone who put up good numbers there to make the jump across the Channel. For example Alireza Jahanbakhsh scored 21 in 32 games in the Dutch league last year, but couldn't hit a barn door at Brighton.

French league is also physical so the transition would be easier. He still looks raw. Under right manager might be some player, but he also can be another Depay if not treated right.

Why are we taking pens off as if they aren't goals. Pepe's on them because he's trusted and good. Lingard is Lingard.

I like some things Lingard has done for us but he can no longer start for us.
Agree of course, but Lingard could actually put those stats in France playing for some mid table side starting every week.

Pens are pens. If you let him take 8 of them pretty sure that would boost his stats, hence eliminating them from the equation.

Enigma_87

You know who
Pepe plays in a bad team, it's difficult to understand how he managed to look good in the last two seasons.
yeah, sure as I said I'm not comparing them, but a player like Lingard (limited as it is) could score 20 and assist 10 in France playing for a team like Nice for example (I mean Depay did it).

Stats won't paint the whole picture on Pepe.

What do you reckon could he make it at United?

Kostov

yeah, sure as I said I'm not comparing them, but a player like Lingard (limited as it is) could score 20 and assist 10 in France playing for a team like Nice for example (I mean Depay did it).

Now can he feck? :lol:

And you are mentioning Depay, Depay is a better player than Lingard by a mile.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Like most on here, all I can go off is youtube highlights - but he looks talented.

I think Ole is trying to implement a fast counter-attacking style, and Pepe fits the bill I think.

I can't see Sancho happening this summer, so we might have to make do with this guy and/or Daniel James.

Ole doesn't seem to rate Martial and Lingard so no wonder he's desperate for wingers.

JPRouve

Scout
yeah, sure as I said I'm not comparing them, but a player like Lingard (limited as it is) could score 20 and assist 10 in France playing for a team like Nice for example.

Not really, a player like Lingard most likely would have the same output or worse because he wouldn't be surrounded by good players. In general people really shouldn't try to play with stats like that because it's not surprising for french players to score more or the same amount of goals.

And I don't know if he could make it.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This years Malcom? Who was that years Dembele?

Seriously though how does he compare to those two?

Enigma_87

You know who
Now can he feck? :lol:

And you are mentioning Depay, Depay is a better player than Lingard by a mile.
That's a stretch. Depay is nothing special, especially when we turned him into an athlete more than a footballer.

Not really, a player like Lingard most likely would have the same output or worse because he wouldn't be surrounded by good players. In general people really shouldn't try to play with stats like that because it's not surprising for french players to score more or the same amount of goals.

And I don't know if he could make it.
The penalties does boost Pepe stats a lot. 12/11 isn't something special for the French league from open play.

Didn't Khazri put similar numbers this years and he is pretty average, considering his time at Sunderland?

JPRouve

Scout
The penalties does boost Pepe stats a lot. 12/11 isn't something special for the French league from open play.

Didn't Khazri put similar numbers this years and he is pretty average, considering his time at Sunderland?
No Khazri has 13 goals including 6 set pieces, a more appropriate comparison would Terrier who has 9 goals for Lyon, he is probably slightly better than Lingard and plays for a better team than Lille. What Pépé is doing this season is exceptional and you could ask yourself if it's actually repeatable.

bucky

They've come second in the league and just recently put 5 past PSG. They've also got the best record defensively in the league so far. Not really the signs of a bad team.

JPRouve

Scout
They've come second in the league and just recently put 5 past PSG. They've also got the best record defensively in the league so far. Not really the signs of a bad team.
Without Pépé they are at best midtable, in fact without Pépé they would be in Ligue 2 this season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
All Duncan Castles has reported is that according to Lille, a United executive contacted them regarding a potential price. Seems like we've just made a enquiry if Duncan Castles is correct.

Lille are asking for €80m according to Castles.

bucky

Without Pépé they are at best midtable, in fact without Pépé they would be in Ligue 2 this season.
One player doesn't make them a team that finishes second. They've arguably had the second best GK in the league, Fonte has done well for them, so has Thiago Mendes. Bamba has been decent for them, too. Not saying they are going to repeat it, but it's a bizarre statement that without Pepe they would be in Ligue 2.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
All Duncan Castles has reported is that according to Lille, a United executive contacted them regarding a potential price. Seems like we've just made a enquiry if Duncan Castles is correct.

Lille are asking for €80m according to Castles.
80m :lol:

Timo.utd

This guy is a very realistic option scored 20 goals so far, apparently he's on his way to bayern but nothing official yet

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Best defensive team in the league and they'd be in league 2 without him? I think you're doing a great disservice to his team mates.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
One player doesn't make them a team that finishes second. They've arguably had the second best GK in the league, Fonte has done well for them, so has Thiago Mendes. Bamba has been decent for them, too. Not saying they are going to repeat it, but it's a bizarre statement that without Pepe they would be in Ligue 2.
Agreed..

Status
Not open for further replies.