Nicolo Barella

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It makes sense. Barella is tipped to be a complete midfielder whose quite technically gifted and can pass the ball very well like Verratti is. On the other hand he's stronger, more determined and more physically strong then Verratti which reminds of the Belgian player.
I was just thinking he reminds me of when I first saw Verratti clips for Pescara. Tenacious off the ball but I'd say Barella looks quite exciting from an attacking sense too. A bit like Naby Keita also. Definitely one to keep an eye out for. Looks like the sort of player that would interest Klopp.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I am not sure what Pogba position are you talking about here. Just saying the (old) Naingolan comparison is where his position: box to box but more defensive oriented. He has ability to switch to more offensive oriented too but it's not as strong just as Pogba is not as strong in defensive side as offensive side.

He looks to me like suited our midfield more than someone like SMS who is more offensive oriented like Pogba
Left side of a midfield 3, or left flank of a diamond.

ti vu

Left side of a midfield 3, or left flank of a diamond.
I am not sure he's stuck into a fixed position. What I saw was he played plenty in central as right sided as well. I believe he's tactically moved to add aggressiveness to the side which opposition is strong offensively

For example: these games against the popular teams in recent time which many can easily recall, he's more right sided and central than left sided.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think what @devilish means is this Barella guy can skillfully get out of tight angle like Verratti while can be very physical, throwing himself around when needed like Naigolan. Can switch from nimble like Verratti to intensely aggressive like Naigolan

Edit:

This compilation is better showing his aggressiveness than the one in the OP
I’ve seen enough.

That’s as impressive a YouTube video I’ve seen a young central midfielder in a long long time. He has everything. Only 20?!

izec

Juve are probably already keeping tabs on him i imagine. No way are they letting a young Italian CM slipping through nowadays.

I would buy him and loan him out another year there. I dont think he would play much for us and he needs game time at his age

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I am not sure he's stuck into a fixed position. What I saw was he played plenty in central as right sided as well. I believe he's tactically moved to add aggressiveness to the side which opposition is strong offensively

For example: these games against the popular teams in recent time which many can easily recall, he's more right sided and central than left sided.

Than that makes him even more interesting as a target.

Craig Ward

Looks a good prospect. Doesn't look like we are getting Goretzka.

Jose and young talent though? Unless its already there he doesn't go out and spend on unproven players.

We have Periera to come back also. I'd like to see us investing in this sort of player and shipping Fellaini out. With Carrick also going, our midfield needs options. Herrera is hit or miss, Pogba/Matic need rotating from time to time.

100% an option. But I doubt Jose will

Cliche Guevara

Looks good - likes a quick defence-splitting pass and can get down and tackle. Has a nice touch too.

Interesting player.

DdeGoat

Cagliari play Milan on Sunday. Good opportunity to catch him.

NotQuiteManc

Impressive. I am more impressed with Nico than that SMS fella, but probably because SMS looks more or less similar to Pogba - playing in similar positions. Definitely the type of midfielder that will give "Pogba more freedom".

Mailo

He's the best player on the pitch for Cagliari, playing as a box to box midfielder. The only player who can keep the ball under pressure. Playing on the left side of the midfield.

Silas

Looks fantastic for a 20-year old. I watched som of the match against Milan and he was good (the sending off was a shame). He has all the tools to become a top CM tbh, particularly the type we need and he already looks like he's at a good level, to be honest, his decision-making being quite good for his age. He's versatile as well, capable of operating near the wings (either of them), and has good physical attributes.

The only issue is that we already have Pereira on our books, but I guess with Carrick and Fellaini likely both leaving the squad, there'll be space. If we do plan to go into next season focusing on a 433, I doubt José will want to only have two young players and Herrera as options, though. I suppose we could buy him, then loan him back for the season.With Ribalta having a big part in our scouting, I wouldn't be surprised if we were seriously interested, but with Juve apparently keen too, it might not be easy to get him out of Italy.

Fosu-Mens

Should be after him. Reminds me of Herrera, with his tenacity in his play and should be able to perform well in a similar role. Looks better on the ball though and more comfortable going forward.

izec

Chelsea are on him, Cagliari want 40m apparently. Dont think a midfielder is priority, but he looks quality. Also starting for Italy at that age isnt too bad

Fosu-Mens

Chelsea are on him, Cagliari want 40m apparently. Dont think a midfielder is priority, but he looks quality. Also starting for Italy at that age isnt too bad
Given that we have both Herrera and Matic that are aging and not CL/PL winning material anymore, or will be soon... Since Fredge seems like the player we thought he would be, and we did not buy Torreira, we should also invest some £££ in the midfield.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Criminal negligence to not sign Torreira when he was available for a pittance.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Barella is a real gem. Watched a bit of him last season after we were linked and was thoroughly impressed. Has a bit of everything, and also the right amount of arrogance to give him that extra I think.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He will be replacing Kovacic/Barkley. Kovacic will go back to Real since it is only a loan and Barkley is a squad/rotation player.

Jorginho-Barella-Kante sounds good on paper.
You think Kovacic will go back to RM, or that they would want to take him after he forced a move and posted on IG? He could go somewhere else I guess next season, was desperate to leave RM, seems unlikely to me that asking to leave would go down well with Perez.

Can't see us getting rid of Barkley either given our home grown quota issues. We need two holding players who can play the way Sarri wants. Jorginho isn't playing 50+ games this season. Barella is young and fits the profile of the kind of player we've spent big money on recently.