Nicolo Zaniolo | Heading to Bournemouth?

Pintu

Apart from City and Chelsea who does this apply to? Even City now don’t really qualify
It actually applies to Bournemouth more than City... You didn't read my post correctly. The PL is getting too much money for its broadcasting rights. Many broadcasters (the PL's sugar daddies) are losing money doing this. The majority of the clubs in the PL are getting a lot more than what they generate for these Media groups (some media groups aren't really expecting a return on investment anyway).

To understand my thoughts further, and why I expect the ESL to happen in the near future, unless UEFA is given enough power to make it impossible.

The ruling is unlikely to outright ban the ESL. The court will certainly say that UEFA can expel clubs from its competitions if they start a Super League. What UEFA needs now is a ruling to allow them (UEFA and FIFA) to make players participating in the SL ineligible for international football with their respective national teams. Without this ruling, the super league is likely to become a reality at some point. It is only a matter of time before the top German and French clubs (and the rest of Italy and Spain) come to the same conclusion as the three clubs currently pushing for the creation of the super league.

In about two to three years, the Premier League's total revenue is expected to be worth more than the combined revenues of all the other top four leagues (including Real Madrid, Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain, Bayern Munich, and Juventus). England has had an advantage in terms of money since Abu Dhabi bought Manchester City and instructed Abu Dhabi Sports to buy the Premier League's TV rights for the MENA region for a record price. Since then, these rights have skyrocketed, and the US and European markets have followed suit. Viaplay's deal for north Europe is ridiculously high and the marketing of the PL in here is killing our local leagues slowly... The gap between the Premier League and the other top four leagues has been steadily increasing and is now reaching unprecedented levels.

The other top four leagues will have to either accept a decline similar to what smaller leagues (such as the Portuguese and Dutch leagues) experienced after the Bosman ruling, or join forces in some sort of SL to try to keep pace with the Premier League.
Initially, it seemed that the primary motive of the ESL was to bail out poorly-run clubs like Barcelona and Juventus. It's true that between 2014 and 2020, both Juventus and especially Barcelona spent far beyond their means, and the Covid crisis hit them too soon and crushed their unrealistic business model.

In the future, not only Newcastle and the current top 6, but also Leicester and West Ham may become much wealthier than most European clubs. There is a risk that the interest of younger generations in domestic leagues in France and Germany may slowly die out (although this is not comparable to Sweden, I am seeing teenagers who start following football here becoming more likely to support a mid-table English club than their local club). When this process has reached it's peak, it will affect France and Germany hugely. (We've already seen TV rights incomes decreasing in France for the first time in 30 years).. As a result, Bayern and PSG may become unattractive to top players.

cyberman

It actually applies to Bournemouth more than City... You didn't read my post correctly. The PL is getting too much money for its broadcasting rights. Many broadcasters (the PL's sugar daddies) are losing money doing this. The majority of the clubs in the PL are getting a lot more than what they generate for these Media groups (some media groups aren't really expecting a return on investment anyway).

To understand my thoughts further, and why I expect the ESL to happen in the near future, unless UEFA is given enough power to make it impossible.
Is there numbers for this?

Pintu

Is there numbers for this?
The increase in international Tv rights following the wave of foreign investors was out of the ordinary…. During a period in which the league was regressing technically the money increased most. It wasn’t about the football. These foreign investors (oligarchs and money launderers) have always been drawn to London and the City for obvious reasons… The owners of N’Castle basically said it last year when they elected to buy N’Castle instead of a club outside the PL.

I've previously posted about how this evolved. If you are genuinely interested…

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the...-premier-league.415336/page-103#post-30020888
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the...-premier-league.415336/page-104#post-30021939

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This move will be shit for both Zaniolo and Bournemouth. He's refused to speak to them and rejected the deal but Roma are forcing him out. He's asking for a £20m release clause to an Italian club in his contract. Bournemouth should walk away, he clearly doesn't want to go and only will because Roma have shut other options down.

Gandalf

This move will be shit for both Zaniolo and Bournemouth. He's refused to speak to them and rejected the deal but Roma are forcing him out. He's asking for a £20m release clause to an Italian club in his contract. Bournemouth should walk away, he clearly doesn't want to go and only will because Roma have shut other options down.
I am not sure he is being forced out, he has clearly been looking to leave for a while now but as usual Milan, just like Juve, are playing the pauper card and asking for a loan with a buy option for the summer at about half of his current value. Roma are basically telling him that if he wants to go it is going to be to the highest bidder and he won't be sold to Milan on the cheap, especially considering they are a top 4 rival.

Lay

I am not sure he is being forced out, he has clearly been looking to leave for a while now but as usual Milan, just like Juve, are playing the pauper card and asking for a loan with a buy option for the summer at about half of his current value. Roma are basically telling him that if he wants to go it is going to be to the highest bidder and he won't be sold to Milan on the cheap, especially considering they are a top 4 rival.
You're right, he's also refused to play for Roma so staying is difficult. However, you'd think Bournemouth would end the the deal considering he would want out next season, has had two ACL injuries and his attitude is likened to Balotelli in some parts of the media.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Looked like he could become an incredible player before his knees exploded (twice). Bit of a shame what his career already seems to be becoming if that's the level of club he's being shopped around to.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

So your argument that PL clubs are living beyond their means is based on media companies over valuing broadcast rights on the open market? Going so far as to call them sugar daddies? Do you have anything to actually back that up? It strikes me that the people best placed to value those deals are the (largely publicly listed) companies paying for them. The PL has been extraordinarily successful in promoting their brand over the last 30 years, which has led to the valuations of its broadcast rights. That itself has been built on global demand for the content. What it doesn't equate to is PL clubs living beyond their means. They are largely living well within their means. If broadcast rights were to diminish in the future, then the likely scenario is PL clubs reducing their spending. But until then, they are spending within the limits of the enormous TV deals they get.

I will agree that this phenomenon has resulted in even mid table English teams having the financial power to outmuscle some of history's continental heavyweights. But that isn't in itself fundamentally wrong. It's just a symptom of the extraordinary financial success of the league. It's also a driver for the ESL, because (a) the afore mentioned European heavyweights are struggling to keep up, and (b) clubs like Juventus and Barcelona are the ones that have been living beyond their means. Hence the increasingly shady transfer deals and sale of assets to comply with FFP and not go bust.

Frankly, the other European leagues should've taken note of the PL's success in the last two decades, rather than try and limit it. La Liga for example was essentially a closed shop for TV rights negotiation. The PL was so successful because of the equality of TV money distribution, making it more even playing field and competition more readily appealing to the viewer. By strengthening the collective, the strengthened the individual. Spain in contrast, had an incredibly long time where two clubs took 80% of all TV revenue. A greedy, disgraceful situation which strangled their competition, and consequently throttled demand for their product with international viewers. It was only about 5 years ago that the team that finished 3rd in La Liga, received less TV money than the team that finished 18th in England.

The Premier League, is to all intents and purposes, already well on the road to becoming a super league in its own right. You already have the league awash with broadcast money, which means the middle tier clubs don't need to sell their players except for enormous fees and can attract top talent from abroad. Then you have the big six - with exceptional financial power, pulling power, and prestige - being a grouping of clubs unmatched in any other top league (the BL has Bayern, and to a lesser extent Dortmund; Italy has Milan, Inter, Juve & Napoli, who are all weaker than the PL big six, and Spain which has Real, Barca and Atletico, and perhaps Sevilla, but only two of those have any significant financial clout). On top of that you are starting to see other clubs coming into the mix because they make such attractive options for foreign investors. Newcastle recently, and they could become a real player over the next 2-3 years, giving us a big seven. Everton is on the market and have a 600M stadium under development. And there isn't just a drain of top playing talent going to the PL, there is also a brain drain of the top managers, recruitment personal, and directors slowly happening.

All of this is only going to make the PL more and more competitive internally, which will make it a more and more appealing commodity to broadcasters. Most estimates say that broadcasting rights haven't even begun to approach exhaustion, and the growth of overseas markets is only going to keep going up and up, driving more money into the PL. Then there is the potential for streaming rights to mobile devices in developing markets, which is seen as a huge untapped market currently. So if anything I would say the full value of those deals has yet to be realised, rather than being overvalued. On Forbes most recently list of football clubs valuations, 12 of the top 20 were from the PL. I just don't see where La Liga or the BL can compete in terms of the PL's global appeal any time soon. They couldn't even come close during an era in which they had both Messi and Ronaldo. Now they are both gone, and without those figureheads, the league has much less appeal. The Italian league has a paltry appeal internationally, and generally suffers from poor attendance and poor stadiums. The Bundesliga is probably the most fan friendly league out there, great attendances, great stadiums, fan ownership, great atmospheres, but next to no actual competition or unpredictability. So while it is very popular internally, it doesn't have the star power or the competition to be appealing internationally.

Last edited:

Lay

“Zaniolo traitor and s**t without honour!”

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

“Zaniolo traitor and s**t without honour!”
Didn't think the news would go down well.

Then again, I can't blame him wanting to get out from Mourinho either.

Lay

He might have to join Bournemouth after all, as much as he doesn't want to. Roma are going to freeze him out until the summer otherwise.

DoctorPepper

Ironically, in this case, Mourinho was the only reason he was still in the team in the first place. He's not the same player he was which explains why only Bournemouth are interested.

el3mel

He only has himself to blame. He fecked himself up completely.

Players nowadays are really stupid.

Lay

“Zaniolo told me he doesn’t want to play for us anymore, that he doesn’t want to train with the team,” he said.

“So that’s why I say that he will unfortunately stay with us after all.”
Roma are furious with him

marktan

Mourinho falling out with a talented player shocker. Shaw, Martial, Pogba.. the man is about at toxic as they get. Sadly news from England doesn't seem to reach the Italian shores.

Pintu

Mourinho falling out with a talented player shocker. Shaw, Martial, Pogba.. the man is about at toxic as they get. Sadly news from England doesn't seem to reach the Italian shores.
This doesn’t have much to do with Mourinho… He wants to earn more money. He is earning something like €75k per week and some players in the squad earn double that… He wanted Roma to sell him to Milan but they’ve priced him higher than what Milan can pay (Understandably Roma does not want to strengthen Milan, a top 4 rival)… His only out now is Bournemouth and apparently he doesn’t fancy it…

BlueHaze

This was a player who only two seasons ago was linked to top clubs and now only Bournemouth has made a bid? What the hell happened to this guy? How is that even possible? Has he genuinely become that bad no one wants him?

Lay

This isn’t on Mourinho. The guy has 3 league goals in 2 years and has had two bad injuries. He’s talented, yes, but his attitude and lack of consistency is a big issue.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Still hoping Spurs get him as Conte absolutely loves him
Surely no room unless you loan out Richarlison.

Considering Conte hardly ever rests Son or Kane it would be one spot for Richi, Kuluveski, Danjuma and Zaniolo.

Feels like he's worth a gamble even if he hasn't been as good since the injury. Actually surprised we haven't been linked considering we've sold Ings and let Archer go out on loan so only really got Watkins and Duran as out and out CFs now.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Surely no room unless you loan out Richarlison.

Considering Conte hardly ever rests Son or Kane it would be one spot for Richi, Kuluveski, Danjuma and Zaniolo.

Feels like he's worth a gamble even if he hasn't been as good since the injury. Actually surprised we haven't been linked considering we've sold Ings and let Archer go out on loan so only really got Watkins and Duran as out and out CFs now.
Looks like we are going to loan out Gil and Moura is leaving as well (though maybe at end of the season) so we do need a rotation option for Kulusevski. Conte really loves Zaniolo and we tried to sign him in the summer.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The Premier League, is to all intents and purposes, already well on the road to becoming a super league in its own right.
It already is (as is the UCL) and was the main reason I didn't get on board with the ESL outrage (which lets be honest was mainly due to a Neville fearing for his job teeing the country up) despite not wanting it in itself.

The main reason people cited was no relegation but there may as well be none in the EPL, the parachute payments mean recently relegated teams can just overpower the rest in the league below. The play off route means there's some hope for an outsider to sneak through the back door but the automatic spots are almost likely to be filled with recent EPL teams indefinitely (last year it was Fulham/Bournemouth, year before Norwich/Watford this year bar an unprecedented collapse Burnley/SHU). Apart from playing weaker teams for a year or two where's the consequences for such failure?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Looks like we are going to loan out Gil and Moura is leaving as well (though maybe at end of the season) so we do need a rotation option for Kulusevski. Conte really loves Zaniolo and we tried to sign him in the summer.
Give us Richy till end of the season la'.

redcucumber

It already is (as is the UCL) and was the main reason I didn't get on board with the ESL outrage (which lets be honest was mainly due to a Neville fearing for his job teeing the country up) despite not wanting it in itself.

The main reason people cited was no relegation but there may as well be none in the EPL, the parachute payments mean recently relegated teams can just overpower the rest in the league below. The play off route means there's some hope for an outsider to sneak through the back door but the automatic spots are almost likely to be filled with recent EPL teams indefinitely (last year it was Fulham/Bournemouth, year before Norwich/Watford this year bar an unprecedented collapse Burnley/SHU). Apart from playing weaker teams for a year or two where's the consequences for such failure?
:lol: Hilariously condescending, and complete bullshit.

el3mel

A post from someone who doesn't even know anything about the situation..shocker.

Internet, men and boys!

el3mel

This was a player who only two seasons ago was linked to top clubs and now only Bournemouth has made a bid? What the hell happened to this guy? How is that even possible? Has he genuinely become that bad no one wants him?
I have watched him several times last year and imo even though he still has good pace and can create chances for himself often, his output sucks hard. He creates a lot alright, but rarely scores, assists or even influence the game final result. He's all style but no substance basically.

Pintu

I guess they really need that money… This could backlash. Really weird behavior when they finallygot a decent shot at a trophy (Coppa/ first in 15 years) and a top 4 finish (would be their first in 5 years, I believe..)

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Might sound stupid but i thought the transfer window was closed around europe - suppose it edges moving to Bournemouth (salary aside). Looks like they are winning the league and he could be playing UCL next season.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Thanks bud. Wouldn't Italy's conditions still prevail - though i suppose you can sell/release possibly, but just not buy/add to the squad.
I think you could always sell/release players whenever you want to and I'd be surprised if that rule set isn't universal.

In regards to turkey Transfer market says their deadline come on feb 8th so that would make this a deadline day deal.

kaku06

Kind of, but if he's actually any good, hell be out of there in no time with that clause. No one trusts those knees of his.
On top of that he’s got bad attitude. I watch serie A regularly and though no one can deny his talent yet he has a lot to learn. Too big for his boots kind of player, isn’t hard working, not a team player, special talent attitude, very selfish and you know what happens to those players especially under a manager like Jose.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
On top of that he’s got bad attitude. I watch serie A regularly and though no one can deny his talent yet he has a lot to learn. Too big for his boots kind of player, isn’t hard working, not a team player, special talent attitude, very selfish and you know what happens to those players especially under a manager like Jose.
Couldn't comment on that personally as don't follow him closely enough, but not good to hear. Not entirely uncommon for some Italian youngsters mind you.