Gaming Nier: Automata (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Kaos

Absolutely love this game. This and Yakuza 0 are probably my two favourite games in recent years.

lawliet354

Finally finished this game, my God what an excellent game, the story is a masterpiece. Definitely one of the best action game that I've played. Now I'm on a youtube binge to fully understand the world/setting starting from Drakengard

Couple of things that I don't like:
- The map is garbage
- I wish different weapon could have some unique gameplay elements to it rather than only look different.

caid

Im jealous, wish i could play this fresh. 2nd playthrough is a bit slow but worth it

el3mel

The prologue is by far the hardest and most annoying part of the game due to lack of saving. I saw some saying they even decided to drop the difficulty to easy just to get past it then back to normal for the rest of the game. The rest of the game is very forgiving regarding saving points.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I just picked up the game of the year edition. Never bought it because the whole controlling a japanese sex doll thing looked suspect.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
You can still heal while you in the planes/machines. I didn't know this before

Gehrman

I feel it's a good game, but somewhat overrated. The combat is very repitive and didn't find the world very deep or interesting. Good game, but some people think it's one of the greatest of all time..

el3mel

I feel it's a good game, but somewhat overrated. The combat is very repitive and didn't find the world very deep or interesting. Good game, but some people think it's one of the greatest of all time..
It's highly rated because of its fast paced action and very deep story.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The giant boob robot is really annoying to me. Why cant I be an android with a tactically sound shape. You know, like Joel Kinnaman or something.

el3mel

The giant boob robot is really annoying to me. Why cant I be an android with a tactically sound shape. You know, like Joel Kinnaman or something.
It's a Japanese game, what are you expecting ?

Though I still like what she wears overall.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's a Japanese game, what are you expecting ?

Though I still like what she wears overall.
Yeah, it's always my problem. I like the mechanics of Japanese games, but the art style and exponentially more so the anime trope personalities drive me insane. It also seriously impeded me in enjoying Persona 5. Yes, I get it everyone has only 1 defining personality trait. Please kill me.

el3mel

Yeah, it's always my problem. I like the mechanics of Japanese games, but the art style and exponentially more so the anime trope personalities drive me insane. It also seriously impeded me in enjoying Persona 5. Yes, I get it everyone has only 1 defining personality trait. Please kill me.
Since I'm an anime viewer myself I don't have any problem with the art style, as for the female objectification in anime and Japanese media in general, I think it's a problem when that's all the anime/game depends on to attract viewers/games. However I think Nier escaped from this. I actually think 2B earned her sexuality a little bit. She's not a human, and she's strong and wears fashionable dress, plus it's not the main attraction of the game by the end of it, action and story are, so I don't have much problem with her thighs or breasts sexualized. It's a Japanese trope but the game stands on its own regardless from them.

Female protagonists have become very common last few years in gaming industry though I feel. Previously it was rare to find a game with a female protagonist and these were very well known. Lara Croft was a primary example. Now it's very common. This can be an interesting discussion topic on its own though.

Gehrman

I couldn't get going with Persona 5 because of all the endless dialouge. I was really hyped for that game.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I gave up Persona 5 because of the fecking cat. The absolute most infuriating character and voice I've encountered in a game.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Since I'm an anime viewer myself I don't have any problem with the art style, as for the female objectification in anime and Japanese media in general, I think it's a problem when that's all the anime/game depends on to attract viewers/games. However I think Nier escaped from this. I actually think 2B earned her sexuality a little bit. She's not a human, and she's strong and wears fashionable dress, plus it's not the main attraction of the game by the end of it, action and story are, so I don't have much problem with her thighs or breasts sexualized. It's a Japanese trope but the game stands on its own regardless from them.

Female protagonists have become very common last few years in gaming industry though I feel. Previously it was rare to find a game with a female protagonist and these were very well known. Lara Croft was a primary example. Now it's very common. This can be an interesting discussion topic on its own though.
It's not a problem in the sense that it offends me, mind. I just cannot take it very seriously because of it.

Woodzy

Bought this on sale. Also died on the first boss and have to start from beginning, bullshit.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Not to gloat, but I just beat the first level and didnt die.

I mean.

You know.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
When does this game get to the level of one of the greatest artistic masterpieces of its time? I mean, I like it well enough, but nothing shockingly amazing.

el3mel

When does this game get to the level of one of the greatest artistic masterpieces of its time? I mean, I like it well enough, but nothing shockingly amazing.
The story on the first playthrough is a pretty typical Shounen anime story. You start discovering more interesting things in second playthrough that you didn't know about and third playthrough is when the game takes a U turn.

Woodzy

Should you really have to play a game three times to get to best bits though?

el3mel

Should you really have to play a game three times to get to best bits though?
You don't play the 3 playthroughs with the same character. First one is with 2B, and since she has a simplistic mind and just wants to slice things you don't learn much. Second one you experience the story from 9S view, and due to his hacking ability you start understanding more about the world. Finally, the 3rd playthrough is with a character I can't mention its name due to spoilers and is totally different than the first 2.

For me Nier is one of very few games that nailed it in terms of replaying the game.