Nikola Milenkovic

Craig Ward

:lol: my thoughts exactly.

He played RB for a while, so he's certainly not slow. I'd probably say he's about as fast as Lindelof, who isn't slow either.
So by default are all RB's rapid? As fast as Lindelof who gets beaten for pace all the time? Great

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
So by default are all RB's rapid? As fast as Lindelof who gets beaten for pace all the time? Great
He does? He's got average pace and is seldom beaten for pace, he prefers to back off, back off, back off some more, all the way into the net.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think signing like Milenkovic means you don’t expect him going straight into first XI but more to upgrade our 3rd CB Bailly. However, unlike Bailly, Milenkovic is not injury prone so he is capable to gain trust from the manager to challenge Lindelof or the starting spot if he has the talent. And in term of experiences, he has played more professional football club games than Bailly despite of being 3 years younger.
Yeah that makes sense.

Maguire
Lindelof
Milenkovic
Tuanzebe

Worst case scenario, McTominay and Matic to fill in.

jderbyshire

Has anyone actually seen him play at least a few times?

Is he better than Lindelof?

We shouldn't get him just cos he's cheap.

Walters_19_MuFc

We've been linked with him for the last few seasons. Can only imagine our scouting team have seen him more than enough to make the right judgment.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Not that I even suggested that, but you wouldn't play someone slow at right back, so it's a fair point.

Does he? Not sure that's even true.

UNITED ACADEMY

This season I have watched Fiorentina 3x. He did very well taming Ronaldo vs Juventus, but the 2nd time I watched Fiorentina they got smashes 6-0 by Napoli and the last time I watched him was the last 20 minutes against Spezia won 3-0, he didn't do much in that match but he was very good dealing with crosses in that match. It's always tough to judge centre back in 3 at the back system so those three games weren't enough to judge him but he's an aggressive centre back from what I watched, not shy to make body contact and to win the ball back before his opposition player got the chance to turn or control. He's been linked with us ages ago so the scouts should know more about him.

Mark Pawelek

He's not good enough and his ceiling isn't high enough. Jules Koundé or Raphael Varane please. Unless we can get him dirt cheap - like below £15m - can't see the point in talking about him. He's much slower than Bailly, so he's a downgrade. We need an upgrade.

Mark Pawelek

Yeah that makes sense.

Maguire
Lindelof
Milenkovic
Tuanzebe

Worst case scenario, McTominay and Matic to fill in.
Clubs, with fast forwards, like Leicester, must be loving your post. Wait a minute, that's all clubs - they all seem to have at least one fast forward now. Will certainly be worst case scenario

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2020
Scout
He's much slower than Bailly, so he's a downgrade.
Do you have any examples of Milenkovic demonstrating his lack of speed? From what I've seen, he's not slow at all. Whilst he's not as rapid as Upamecano or Koundé (I can't recall any other CB as fast as them), he still has a decent amount of speed and can keep up with fast players.

Mark Pawelek

Do you have any examples of Milenkovic demonstrating his lack of speed? From what I've seen, he's not slow at all. Whilst he's not as rapid as Upamecano or Koundé (I can't recall any other CB as fast as them), he still has a decent amount of speed and can keep up with fast players.
Do you have any examples of Milenkovic playing in a 2 man central defense with DCMs in front of him who hardly know what they're doing?

he still has a decent amount of speed and can keep up with fast players.
Something similar was said about Maguire. How come every top team today who want to win anything play with at least one fast CB, and some play with a fast DCM as well?

PS: News to me that slow players can keep up with fast players. If that's the case why do Maguire and Linderof panic when they encounter fast players?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Do you have any examples of Milenkovic playing in a 2 man central defense with DCMs in front of him who hardly know what they're doing?

Something similar was said about Maguire. How come every top team today who want to win anything play with at least one fast CB, and some play with a fast DCM as well?

PS: News to me that slow players can keep up with fast players. If that's the case why do Maguire and Linderof panic when they encounter fast players?
If hes available for 15m euros, Id sign him and Pau Torres

Pau Torres / Lindelof /Tuanzebe
Maguire / Milenkovic

AgentSmith

If hes available for 15m euros, Id sign him and Pau Torres

Pau Torres / Lindelof /Tuanzebe
Maguire / Milenkovic
Wonder if Villarreal would be interested in a deal for Torres involving Bailly as a makeweight.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2020
Scout

Other people may have said what they had to say about Maguire's pace, but I always viewed him as a slow defender. Same with Lindelöf. That's why both of them create a bigger gap between them and their opponent when dealing with 1-on-1 situations.

Milenkovic, however, doesn't. Whenever I've seen him defend the flanks, he would always stay beside or ahead of his opponent, and he would always keep himself close to his opponent. In the end, he wins those 1-on-1 battles more often than not, and at worst, his opponent checks back and looks to pass the ball back rather than forward/into the box.

I'd still like to see where his lack of pace was apparent because I haven't noticed this at all.

RooneyLegend

Haha, probably going on his FIFA stats which is:

Acceleration - 64
Sprint Speed - 62
Yeah, that's probably the case. PES stats on the net in the fan group are easily a better source for that type thing as Fifa underrates values of unknown players all the time.

I've only seen him once which this past weekend against Atalanta which is the best team to judge players against in Serie A because they don't play the outdated football the other sides play.

His speed was obvious from the start, he was 4 yards behind Muriel who has good pace and caught up to him like it was nothing. Athletically he looks like Verane, tall, slender, and fast. He also has great agility which is great for defenders. He's very good on the ball.

He's also more of a stopper than a cover guy which means here he'd compete with Maguire as opposed to playing with him if we're doing things right.

They conceded 3 times and still managed to look good while his mates were running around acting the fool. I'll obviously have to watch more of him to get a better feel for his defense instincts. What I didn't like is for a stopper he didn't look decisive enough in his work. He looked to hold off attackers as opposed to dispossessing them as Vida used to do when he stepped out. Interesting prospect though, certainly has potential.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2020
Scout
Yeah, that's probably the case. PES stats on the net in the fan group are easily a better source for that type thing as Fifa underrates values of unknown players all the time.

I've only seen him once which this past weekend against Atalanta which is the best team to judge players against in Serie A because they don't play the outdated football the other sides play.

His speed was obvious from the start, he was 4 yards behind Muriel who has good pace and caught up to him like it was nothing. Athletically he looks like Verane, tall, slender, and fast. He also has great agility which is great for defenders. He's very good on the ball.

He's also more of a stopper than a cover guy which means here he'd compete with Maguire as opposed to playing with him if we're doing things right.

They conceded 3 times and still managed to look good while his mates were running around acting the fool. I'll obviously have to watch more of him to get a better feel for his defense instincts. What I didn't like is for a stopper he didn't look decisive enough in his work. He looked to hold off attackers as opposed to dispossessing them as Vida used to do when he stepped out. Interesting prospect though, certainly has potential.
I'd say he was the best of the back 3, but even then, he's performed better than this. One part was because he was throwing his foot in and getting beaten a bit too easily by Muriel on a few occasions, so he started throwing his foot in less as the match went on. Since others couldn't keep up with Atalanta's movement, Milenkovic also sort of struggled with getting in sync with the rest, and that culminated in him failing the offside trap for Zapata's 2nd goal.

Still, he looked way better than he did against Portugal, and he's showing way more awareness of his surroundings than before. There were so many occasions where he'd look over his shoulders for other threats, and whenever he had to deal with a full-speed runner or dribbler, he'd do a great job with keeping up with them. He'll certainly get better as a defender.