Nikola Milenkovic

Adamsk7

He’s a talent but not the finished article. The smart thing to do would be to buy him now and let him stay where he is for a season AND get Maguire. see how the campaign goes then offload the terrible foursome of Jones/Rojo/Bailly/Young. We’d then have a defensive squad of -

Maguire
Lindelof
Tuanzebe
Malinkovic
Shaw
Wan Bissaka
Dalot
Smalling

Probably the best overall pool of players in the league.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
So assuming that we have indeed gone for De Ligt, Maguire, and Diop first, am I to assume that this guy is 4th choice on our list? That doesn’t necessarily make him a bad player but he is a different type of defender to the others we’ve been linked with. So either this is a negotiating tactic to drive a better deal for Maguire, or we are throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So we haven't actually bid this summer, but back in January?

Di Marzio starting to get click baity :(

welshwingwizard

@Adnan and @Bestietom must be delighted at this. It’s a bit worrying he’s more potential than anything atm, but better than paying double for Maguire.
Genuine question...is it (i.e. better than having to pay more for Maguire)? Seen this a few times and can't understand logic. If he is more potential then we aren't upgrading our defence which is what we need now

Similar to people that don't want a RW because we may buy Sancho next season.

Can see argument for buying both. Better than money kept for Glazers.

BlueHaze

As if Fiorentina would ever let him go for €50m.. If by some crazy chance he was actually available for that fee and we didn't sign him considering we need a CB then the club might as well shut down.

Santos J

As if Fiorentina would ever let him go for €50m.. If by some crazy chance he was actually available for that fee and we didn't sign him considering we need a CB then the club might as well shut down.
Tbf he said €50m was their value at the time we bid €40m. No mention of what they want now.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Genuine question...is it (i.e. better than having to pay more for Maguire)? Seen this a few times and can't understand logic. If he is more potential then we aren't upgrading our defence which is what we need now

I said in the Alderweireld thread, it would be if we brought in Toby as well or an experienced CB for that 25-30m mark. I like Maguire, but 80m is a lot of cash that can be spent elsewhere for better value and he’s not in the same talent bracket at Sancho, so the huge fee is difficult to justify.

On your Sancho point, I think we’ll look to get a cheap RW in this season. Someone who could make a difference, but if it doesn’t work out, we just throw the kitchen sink at Sancho.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Lot of positivity here for a player I doubt many have watched regularly for 50m. It's odd, I reckon it would be akin to us looking at Tarkowski but as he's not an unknown quantity because he plays in the league people would be up in arms.

Sometimes the unknown isn't always better.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Lot of positivity here for a player I doubt many have watched regularly for 50m. It's odd, I reckon it would be akin to us looking at Tarkowski but as he's not an unknown quantity because he plays in the league people would be up in arms.

So have you watched him play or you are just playing the devil's advocate?

kdmaka

He is a Serbian defender what’s not to like!

welshwingwizard

I said in the Alderweireld thread, it would be if we brought in Toby as well or an experienced CB for that 25-30m mark. I like Maguire, but 80m is a lot of cash that can be spent elsewhere for better value and he’s not in the same talent bracket at Sancho, so the huge fee is difficult to justify.

On your Sancho point, I think we’ll look to get a cheap RW in this season. Someone who could make a difference, but if it doesn’t work out, we just throw the kitchen sink at Sancho.
Like i said it was a genuine question. And i get the point of getting him with Toby.

I guess I'm just sick of the 'value' argument. Surely the value point depends on a number of things)
1- the talent and Mcguire is better than both and proven leader
2 - the age (toby money would represent less value given it would be 25mil for 1/2 seasons)

The most important thing is where money saved would go and frankly i dont believe saved money goes into other targets but into pockets of glazers so why do we even raise value as an issue is beyond me.

Nialinho

So he's tall and apparently very good on the ball and quick, only 21 years old and an ex Mourinho target (he knows a good CB). Sounds like a very good Maguire alternative to me. Anyone watched him regularly?

If he's a dominant CB who's good on the ball, he will be an upgrade. I'd actually rather build a team full of potential at this point because we won't be ready to challenge for the league for at least 2-3 season considering our squad at the moment. We still need a RW and perhaps two midfielders so buying Maguire for £75-90M could hamper that, I don't think Ole will have been given more than £200M.

Classical Mechanic

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
So have you watched him play or you are just playing the devil's advocate?
Watched him a little bit, so don't have a strong opinion on the player.

Just find it odd that many prefer an unknown and unproven quantity like this over a proven defender like Maguire.

I think a lot of comes down to we generally see a lot more of PL players, the good and the bad so it's easy to see players weaknesses. So the unknown is just more appealing.

R'hllor

Last time we bought a Serbian CB it turned out nice.
@R'hllor mate, what do you reckon? :D
Oh he turned out great for us (United), for national team not so much.

I dont know man, didnt follow him much in Serie A but you know how it goes, on one side you would like to see a countryman to play for United on other side you can lead a charge like me vs Matic :lol:

Bondi77

I think he looks really good and has big potential and if we get him at the mentioned price then that is at least 30mil cheaper than Maguire whom if Skysports are to be believed fancies Citeh over us anyway.
Any money saved on a CB can be put into the midfield where we do need a decent spend.

Ban

Oh he turned out great for us (United), for national team not so much.

I dont know man, didnt follow him much in Serie A but you know how it goes, on one side you would like to see a countryman to play for United on other side you can lead a charge like me vs Matic :lol:
Something like that. :lol:

Bestietom

No guarantee with any players mate. Whether they cost 100 million. or 40 million. You've got to take a chance sometimes.

hobbers

Smarter signing even at £50m than Maguire for £80m+.

Younger, taller, much more pace, better on the ball.

lysglimt

Scout

Yes and no - normally I am all for signing talented lads. But our squad is filled with talent - I would prefer a safe option like Maguire in defense. He would improve us - no question about it. Milinkovic might improve us - but he will probably need time. So - I prefer a solid, experienced defender in the mid 20s to a a guy in the early 20s in this position

Allas8

Ideal CB height remains 185-190cm, got a feeling this kids is overrated.

MisterLupus

Having seen a lot more of him now I have to say I hope we get him - but as a central defender and not to be used on the flank. My impression is that he seems a bit static and perhaps lacking in both acceleration and pace - but that he somewhat makes up for this with positioning plus a combination of decent tackling skills and his sheer size / leg span. Also he's quick on the turn and agile considering his height - good technique and great reactions too - reads the play well and intervenes intelligently. He's also a real asset on set pieces both defensively and offensively due to his physique and positional play. In addition to being dangerous himself - he is the occasional goalscorer - he'll also be a marking priority for sure freeing up teammates around him.

Oh and he's absolutely lit. Maybe at times too much so even - his commitment and drive is unquestionable to a degree where he'll definitely draw some cards. Still a youngster as well - I'm genuinely impressed by what I've seen and would feel excited about this signing.

Ideal CB height remains 185-190cm, got a feeling this kids is overrated.
That's a bold statement which I think these four (and anyone who's ever come up against them for that matter) would disagree with:

Koulibaly - 195 cm
Varane - 191 cm
Van Dijk - 193 cm
Laporte - 191 cm

Last edited:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

Younger and taller means nothing.

I doubt he's better on the ball too.

We know Maguire is quality and proven in the division - he is the obvious choice.

Allas8

That's a bold statement and I think these four would disagree with it:

Koulibaly - 195 cm
Varane - 191 cm
Van Dijk - 193 cm
Laporte - 191 cm
Koulibaly is 187 cm, Van Dijk is a exception. Once you get over 190 cm there are handicaps, like lose of agility and acceleration, and hardly any plusses. I rather have a good ball playing CB who is 185 cm then then a 195 cm CB since he is tall. Ariel threats on set-pieces hardly matters for a club like Man United.

Holters

Koulibaly - 195 cm
Varane - 191 cm
Van Dijk - 193 cm
Laporte - 191 cm
I respect the point you are trying to make, but there is no way Koulibaly is 195 cm. He's less than 190 cm for sure. I would guess around 185-187cm just by watching him play.

macheda14

Koulibaly is 187 cm, Van Dijk is a exception. Once you get over 190 cm there are handicaps, like lose of agility and acceleration, and hardly any plusses. I rather have a good ball playing CB who is 185 cm then then a 195 cm CB since he is tall. Ariel threats on set-pieces hardly matters for a club like Man United.
You realise we play in the premier league right?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I respect the point you are trying to make, but there is no way Koulibaly is 195 cm. He's less than 190 cm for sure. I would guess around 185-187cm just by watching him play.
Yeah, he’s 186 I think.

Allas8

You realise we play in the premier league right?
Martial, Rashford, Lukaku, Greenwood, James and Sanchez, these are the players that will be responsible for scoring goals for us, not the CBs. Defending against set-pieces is very relevant for United, but you don't need the same height to defend as you do on attack.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Well I for one would hope we wouldn’t be threatened by a mermaid on set-pieces.

MisterLupus

Wow there's a lot of sites that are wrong about Koulibably's height but yeah based on photographic evidence I stand corrected :lol:

But still I think you're wrong - I don't believe there's an "ideal height" for any position and I also find reality to disprove this. You find world class center-backs that are both taller and shorter than than your suggested range. There are so many other factors involved - and also I think it shows a lack of imagination to claim that there are "hardly any pluses". Taller players are often stronger and have improved reach both on the ground and in the air for starters - and it's no given that they suffer from loss of agility or quickness either like you propose. There are a lot of footballers who disproves that suggestion - and if you need further proof just watch some basketball.

When it comes to most attributes except sitting comfortably on a plane - it's the same for tall people as short ones. It's all dependent on how you train - and even if someone is lacking in certain areas there are usually ways to compensate if you're just adaptive enough ;)

Last edited:

MUFC OK

Sign him, anyone.. just preferably not Maguire or longstaff at the quoted prices.