Gaming Nintendo 3DS vs PS Vita thread.

WeasteDevil

Correct Brian, though you need to include PS1, it has made them quite a lot of money. Not as much as they would have liked due to its security issues and piracy, so hopefully they have learnt some lessons.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Interesting whether Sony will follow this road with the ps4. Putting in high end off the shelf stuff, outdoing microsoft but at the same time pleasing developers.

And maybe they should've done that with the ps3.
There's nothing wrong with the PS3 in terms of development. It merely introduces a new way of thinking and maybe I'm older school than I think, but I'd have considered that a great new challenge and one definitely there to overcome.

Redlambs

They are both essentially dedicated gaming devices. They both have the same purpose in terms of hardware.

Are you getting a bit thick in your old age or what? Has the nappy changing dissolved your brain?

I'm going to bed in the hope the world wakes up sober!
:lol: I love it when you call me thick, it's like foreplay :drool:

Yeah get some sleep gramps, let us youngsters talk games.

Redlambs

That can't possibly be a good game. It's not multi-threaded, cross stitched and doesn't feature 100000000000000000000000000000000000megaflop pixel pushing!

Oh and you can't ring your friends on it, get it free with a 20-year contract.

WeasteDevil

That can't possibly be a good game. It's not multi-threaded, cross stitched and doesn't feature 100000000000000000000000000000000000megaflop pixel pushing!

Oh and you can't ring your friends on it, get it free with a 20-year contract.
If 3DS doesn't have a multi-core ARM processor I'll eat my hat.

DS has two of them for starters, so even it is multi-threaded in a way.

Yeah get some sleep gramps, let us youngsters talk games.
Isn't the whole point of the PS Suite about games? Google and Sony are in bed together at this moment, and Sony are providing Android with a complete game development and execution environment that can run on any Android phone and on the NGP. It wouldn't surprise me if it becomes a standard feature in Android 3. So, they seem to be attacking this from two directions, bottom up and top down, just as I like my women.

WeasteDevil

I know what you meant. It's no more clever than the Psp was at the time.
The difference is, this thing runs the same base architecture (in terms of binary executables) as almost every smartphone, including the iPad and iPhone, and the 3DS. Yet is also considerably more powerful than all of them.

It could possibly even run Windows 7 for ARM. :angel:

Frans

" Wise people talk because they have somethin
Thing is Weaste, that people dont need/want most powerful devices, they want to use and enjoy them, and they want to have something new/original something they havent had earlier. 3D is the way forward now, it can be useless sometimes ( or most of the time) but its new, innovative and trendy, in my opinion thats the reason why 3DS will outsell PSP2.

Im not saying that 3DS is better/more advanced, im just saying Sony really need to change the way they approach things.

Give people what they want, it's simple and it always works.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Correct Brian, though you need to include PS1, it has made them quite a lot of money. Not as much as they would have liked due to its security issues and piracy, so hopefully they have learnt some lessons.
What were the profit figures for the PSP compared with the DS? I'd be surprised if Sony even made half as much profit off the PSP, as nintendo did with the DS.

WeasteDevil

Thing is Weaste, that people dont need/want most powerful devices, they want to use and enjoy them, and they want to have something new/original something they havent had earlier. 3D is the way forward now, it can be useless sometimes ( or most of the time) but its new, innovative and trendy, in my opinion thats the reason why 3DS will outsell PSP2.

Im not saying that 3DS is better/more advanced, im just saying Sony really need to change the way they approach things.

Give people what they want, it's simple and it always works.
Ok, but I don't see people running out en-mass and buying 3D enabled TVs. IS 3D really what people want or rather what the consumer electronics industry wants people to want?

I see this PS NGP working because I think that they've actually thought about it for once. It's a two pronged approach with the PS Suite coming from one direction and the NGP coming from the other ---> X <--- such that the consumer has a choice from either direction.

I also think that they are placing a lot of focus on Japan where the home console concept is dying and is moving towards the portable. Whether that trend will move to the West we don't know, however, the long term strategy will be something you can plug into some sort of dock in the home and play on your TV yet also simply be able to pick up and play on the go.

In my opinion the expansion on the smartphone driven by Apple has changed the game, yet I'm also of the opinion that there is a niche for a full blown console experience on the go. The NGP in addition to the Xperia Play, Bravia TVs, and the PS Suite basically covers all areas for them, and everything is interchangable between them apart from NGP dedicated games. However you then have the third dimensional prong where the PS3 will be able to play PS Suite, PSP, Android, and NGP games. So, then you are in a situation where you can buy a game once and run it in different ways. The only spanner in the works here, and it's a big feck off wrench, is the running of PS2 games.

This world is yours to play the way you like
That's from whatever song that they played at the showing, but I think that it's apt. You want full blown games, play them, if you want mini-games, play them, it's up to you, you can do it as you like over many different platforms. I think that they have finally got it.

PS Suite and multi-platform support is the real interesting thing that has come out of this.

Nintendo will do well because it's the only place that you can play the likes of Mario and Zelda, but apart from that and the 3D gimmick they don't really have anything that compelling. Certainly nothing that can't be done on an iPhone or say a Samsung Galaxy.

WeasteDevil

What were the profit figures for the PSP compared with the DS? I'd be surprised if Sony even made half as much profit off the PSP, as nintendo did with the DS.
Sony are a massive corporate conglomerate, so profit (on a single unit device) isn't always the driving motive behind these things. There is quite a vast web of interests going on, and sometimes they come off, and sometimes they don't, however, one side of the business can drive another side of the business. Blu-ray is a classic example in the case of PS3. Sony are basically the major producer of blue-violet diodes and presser of optical media. PS3 losses for example are well over exaggerated, because a lot of the loss actually was fees paid to other Sony divisions that posted profit.

Nintendo doesn't work like that.

MacMUFC

Of course the 3DS will sell better than the PS3. This shouldtn even be up for debate. Nintendo have sold somthing like 150m units of the DS and with that consumer loyalty, theres only one clear winner for me in my eyes. Look at the success of the PS2 and then the amount of insane people that spent £600 on a brand new PS3 says it all - consumer loyalty will be Nintendo's biggest asset.

The new PSP will do OK, but it doesnt really do anything new in my eyes. This new touchpad on the back or something, just seems a bit like a gimmick and a bit 'tacked on'. Given the choice of 3D or a touch pad, I think theres only one winner.

The Flying Potato

Of course the 3DS will sell better than the PS3. This shouldtn even be up for debate. Nintendo have sold somthing like 150m units of the DS and with that consumer loyalty, theres only one clear winner for me in my eyes. Look at the success of the PS2 and then the amount of insane people that spent £600 on a brand new PS3 says it all - consumer loyalty will be Nintendo's biggest asset.

The new PSP will do OK, but it doesnt really do anything new in my eyes. This new touchpad on the back or something, just seems a bit like a gimmick and a bit 'tacked on'. Given the choice of 3D or a touch pad, I think theres only one winner.
You talk as if the touch pad is the main selling point :confused: And how can you say the touch pad is gimmicky yet 3D isn't?

MacMUFC

You talk as if the touch pad is the main selling point :confused: And how can you say the touch pad is gimmicky yet 3D isn't?
Well its the main edition to the PSP isnt it really? Updated graphics are expected, and the first PSP had WIFI, although 3g seems cool. So what's new? This is why I expect this new 'generation war' to pan as the previous one.

3D is revolutionary. Admittedly, I havent seen it in action, and I dont know how it will be implemented into the games, but still, my points still stand.

WeasteDevil

Unless something specifically requires the two screens of the 3DS (both of which are quite low-res), most developers outside of Nintendo are going to plonk their 3DS games on iPhone, Android, and NGP anyway. It's not going to end up with much.

Kaos

That worked out well for PS3 after PS2 sold 150m+ didn't it?
Yes, because a $600 price tag and shit exclusive titles at release had people rushing towards stores on release day.

Sony are the new Microsoft, they've become hardware-obsessed while being remaining blind to the gaming practicalities.

Spoony

The People's President
Unless something specifically requires the two screens of the 3DS (both of which are quite low-res), most developers outside of Nintendo are going to plonk their 3DS games on iPhone, Android, and NGP anyway. It's not going to end up with much.
But they'd require them to have 3D screens. Admit, you love the idea of 3d gaming without those stupid specs.

WeasteDevil

Yes, because a $600 price tag and shit exclusive titles at release had people rushing towards stores on release day.

Sony are the new Microsoft, they've become hardware-obsessed while being remaining blind to the gaming practicalities.
You really think that they are going to launch this at a higher price than the PS3 currently sits at? Its guts are quite simple even though very high end, a multi touch pad on the back can't cost that much, laptops have been carrying them for ages, so the only expensive looking bit of it is that 5" OLED screen.

Kaos

You really think that they are going to launch this at a higher price than the PS3 currently sits at? Its guts are quite simple even though very high end, a multi touch pad on the back can't cost that much, laptops have been carrying them for ages, so the only expensive looking bit of it is that 5" OLED screen.
Judging from the specs it seems more powerful than your average netbook today, and netbooks don't even have a dedicated gpu. Yet you'll find that netbooks cost more than the consoles.

I'm still convinced it'll cost more than a PS3.

Spoony

The People's President
3D is interesting, but you can have exactly the same thing in 2D. Unless you can think of an application that specifically requires 3D.
No, not really... you won't get the same experience on a 2D screen. It may end up turning into a massive gimmick like 3D movies...but we'll just to wait and see.

WeasteDevil

Judging from the specs it seems more powerful than your average netbook today, and netbooks don't even have a dedicated gpu. Yet you'll find that netbooks cost more than the consoles.
Ok, but netbook manufacturers don't sell their hardware at a loss, and don't have things such as 3G plans to subsidise the cost of the machine.

MacMUFC

This PSP2 thing will almost certainly cost more than the PS3.

Kaos

It won't sell for as much as it costed to produce, if that were the case it would be close to the £500 mark. It'll still be priced higher than the PS3, even if they're making a loss.

WeasteDevil

It won't sell for as much as it costed to produce, if that were the case it would be close to the £500 mark. It'll still be priced higher than the PS3, even if they're making a loss.
So you think that a 4 core ARM and a 4 core PowerVR GPU are more expensive to make than Cell and RSX? You're having a laugh! As I said, there's nothing that expensive in it apart from the OLED screen. The BOM can't be more than 150 quid.

What are we talking here, going from 1.8TFLOP theoretical to 50GFLOP? No optical drive, no massive cooling system, no HDD! Et fecking c.

WeasteDevil

I meant RRP. Isnt that what was being debated? I skimmed through it all :nervous:
You can pick up a PSP 3000 now for less than 120 quid, and a PSP Go for less than 140. RRP however is something like 140 to 240. RRP on GO is because there is no physical software sales for the retailers so to get them to stock it they upped the RRP.

RRP on PS NGP is probably going to be 250 depending on how aggressive they want to be, with 3G plans taking it down to say 150 or less.

MacMUFC

You can pick up a PSP 3000 now for less than 120 quid, and a PSP Go for less than 140. RRP however is something like 140 to 240. RRP on GO is because there is no physical software sales for the retailers so to get them to stock it they upped the RRP.

RRP on PS NGP is probably going to be 250 depending on how aggressive they want to be, with 3G plans taking it down to say 150 or less.
Hmm, I think the WIFI PSP will be around £275 and the 3G enabled version close to £300. Besides, I think the PS3 will have a price drop after E3, thus making the new PSP more expensive.

Going back to what I was saying before, it was very impressive that the PS3 still managed to sell millions whilst it was £500-£600. Quite incredible, in fact, looking at the prices today, and it boiled down simply to consumer loyalty. The fact PS3 is not even priced at the lucky £/$200 figure, suggests to me that there is plenty more to come, too. Many are still holding out on purchasing a PS3 because its still expensive.

MacMUFC

I hadnt read that final part of your post. £150!? Not a chance in hell. Nintendo traditionally price their handhelds and consoles at an 'affordable' price, yet its 3DS is retailing for something like £220 I think? The fact the new PSP will be more powerful + higher quality OLED screen + Sony tax means we're looking at £250 absolute minimum.

Retirantmobs

Stokke Stalker - smells of fish
I hadnt read that final part of your post. £150!? Not a chance in hell. Nintendo traditionally price their handhelds and consoles at an 'affordable' price, yet its 3DS is retailing for something like £220 I think? The fact the new PSP will be more powerful + higher quality OLED screen + Sony tax means we're looking at £250 absolute minimum.
As Weaste has said, the chances are you may be able to pick it up cheap if you take out some kind of data package. Similar to iPads and things like the Dell Streak etc.

MacMUFC

This bit baffles me. They have traditionally taken a loss on the hardware at launch. They have always used the software model to make their money.

I will suck Elvis' cock when the price point gets unveiled and it's more than 3DS or PS3
I find it very hard to believe they took a loss on their £600 PS3's!

How can that make sense when the majority of the money from sales of software goes to the developers? Whilst i'm not entirely sure how its split (or if there even is a split) i'm pretty sure that the developers/publishers would get around 75% of the share, afterall, it is their product. If you meant software of sales from their own internal developers, then it simply cant be a viable business model, because those first party games arent released often enough. I would happilly like to be corrected.