Gaming Nintendo 3DS vs PS Vita thread.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
So how does everyone think this will play out? The DS absolutely thrashed its much better powered sony counter part, I think the 3DS will do the same. Again Nintendo are introducing something new, whilst Sony maybe giving us more "value for money" in terms of the power of the PSP2, I can't see what its selling point will actually be. I can see the PSP 2 retailing for around £250 and given the relatively modest sales numbers of its predecessor (in comparison to the DS), I can't see many people taking the plunge at that price, even if it does give you more value for your money than the 3DS.

Given that nintendo will make a good amount of profit on each 3DS sold, I can see this thing printing money for Nintendo like the DS did.

I'm contemplating ordering the 3DS, anyone else ordered or thinking of ordering one of the two? If so, what swung it for you? Does anyone think that the PSP 2 has any chance of matching the 3DS for sales or at least having significanly higher sales than the PSP?

Kaos

It's funny how the handheld market is drifting away from the whole concept of 'handheld'.

The PSP2 especially, that thing is going to be more expensive than any console on the market and will most likely have an abysmal battery life considering its processor. The whole point of handhelds were to serve as quick 'pick up and play' devices, not semi-portable, overpriced consoles.

Biscuit1871

It's hardly 'drifting away'. It's one device that is speculated to have poor battery life and high price tag.

Zen

What are the prices going to be? Not that I'd buy either mind. I'll just take Secret of Mana on my iPhone.

Kaos

It's hardly 'drifting away'. It's one device that is speculated to have poor battery life and high price tag.
The 3DS will also most likely have an inflated price tag if recent developments are anything to go by.

We might as well be carrying around gaming laptops.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It could, at the price quoted I doubt a lot people will go for it.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I'm contemplating ordering the 3DS, anyone else ordered or thinking of ordering one of the two? If so, what swung it for you?
I have one pre-ordered. I enjoyed the hell out of my DS (and still do), have tons of games for it, and there's already games for the 3DS that I want. Plus I've always stuck with my original "phat" DS, so it's probably time :p

Given that nintendo will make a good amount of profit on each 3DS sold, I can see this thing printing money for Nintendo like the DS did.

(I didn't make this)

Lance Uppercut

I bet you that it doesn't.

They've taken the PS1 route. It's not going to be expensive and is easy to develop for.
I just don't know that the demand is there for what they are offering. It looks like an awesome bit of kit, don't get me wrong, but do people really want PS3 quality (or close) graphics on a screen that size? I can't see it.

Time will tell, I guess.

Biscuit1871

Weaste does make me laugh. In all other areas he's calm and collective but any mention of Sony and he turns into a salivating 5 year old.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I like what I see so far. Huge software support and it'll do just fine.

It's probably the first handheld worth buying. (3)DS and old PSPs look like crap in comparison.

WeasteDevil

Weaste does make me laugh. In all other areas he's calm and collective but any mention of Sony and he turns into a salivating 5 year old.
It has nothing to do with the mention of the word "Sony" and you actually know that, which makes you look pathetic.

Nintendo have factored in a decent profit margin on the hardware, so 250. All I'm saying is that the NGP will not cost much more than 250 to make, then Sony always take a hit on the hardware, then you probably will be able to buy it with a 3G plan. You could in the end pick up one of these things for less than 150 quid. However, we don't know, as they have not even mentioned a price, but it's all off the shelf stuff, even if very very high end off the shelf stuff. It's basically iPhone 4 hardware x 12.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Interesting whether Sony will follow this road with the ps4. Putting in high end off the shelf stuff, outdoing microsoft but at the same time pleasing developers.

And maybe they should've done that with the ps3.

WeasteDevil

I think that PS4 will be built on Cell with a very powerful off the shelf PC derived GPU. Developers are familiar with Cell now, and even today, even the one in the PS3, in terms of processing power it can match anything else out there. The Cell processor was a bit crazy.

I'm actually quite upset that they went with ARM for the NGP and not a Cell derived device, but as they started putting the NGP down in late 2007, I suppose that Cell wasn't really an option. We know that the Toshiba SPURS engine which is basically 1/2 of a Cell consumes 15 watts on 65nm, yet produces 48GFLOPS of processing power, and that a dual core ARM 10 at 300Mhz consumes around 0.6 watts giving 600MFLOPS. That's one hell of a performance difference, even if they clocked the SPURS engine down to 500MHz and got it on a 32nm process.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
From my perspective, the psp is the only piece of hardware I've ever sold and never regretted it. Why? Because if I'm going to play games on the road, I want something a little different than rehashed games I can play indoors.

The new psp, whilst being a technical feat, is much like all things Sony do: Technical but with no soul and imagination. This is why they won't overtake Nintendo in this market, there's just little in it for the kind of people who play games on the go.

Kaos

From my perspective, the psp is the only piece of hardware I've ever sold and never regretted it. Why? Because if I'm going to play games on the road, I want something a little different than rehashed games I can play indoors.

The new psp, whilst being a technical feat, is much like all things Sony do: Technical but with no soul and imagination. This is why they won't overtake Nintendo in this market, there's just little in it for the kind of people who play games on the go.
Bang on.

The PSP2 is not a textbook handheld gaming device, its a semi-portable media player. I dread to think what the PSP3 would look like.

WeasteDevil

You are all talking as if you know what the software line-up is going to be, and none of you do. There are even cues in the video I posted that it's not all going to be consoleish games. Then you have the fact that it also runs Android apps.

I don't know, they go all out and people moan that they want a 50 quid device instead.

WeasteDevil

This is why they won't overtake Nintendo in this market, there's just little in it for the kind of people who play games on the go.
Isn't this what the Playstation Suite and the Xperia Play is supposed to do, go into that market segment? Nintendo, without their own IP are dead in the water in the handheld space in any case. Apple and Android have seen to this.

Redlambs

You are all talking as if you know what the software line-up is going to be, and none of you do. There are even cues in the video I posted that it's not all going to be consoleish games. Then you have the fact that it also runs Android apps.

I don't know, they go all out and people moan that they want a 50 quid device instead.
Really? Because it's pretty obvious what games it'll have, just like it was with the original. Oh and as for android, well I already have a device on contract that does that perfectly well.

Redlambs

Of course it will, but it's also going the route that PSP did with the added 3D. What you were saying sounds as if there is no space for a dedicated full blown handheld gaming console. There obviously is.
If you think that's what I was saying, then you really need to rethink my post.

Oh dedicated isn't how I'd describe any of Sony's offerings since the PS2.

WeasteDevil

Lambs, this smells to me PS1, I wouldn't be surprised if it launches cheaper than 3DS. With full online support through PSN, minis, PS1 games, Android apps etc.

You can slap me around the head with a haddock if this doesn't go well.

Dave89

I'm loving my ps3 (the iplayer support clinched it for me) but my psp is sitting gathering dust, even though I've hacked it (not trying to sound l33t, have forgotten the term) and have access to free games. Can't see the appeal of handhelds, then again, I've got a two minute commute.

Redlambs

Lambs, this smells to me PS1, I wouldn't be surprised if it launches cheaper that 3DS. With full online support through PSN, minis, PS1 games, Android apps etc.

You can slap me around the head with a haddock if this doesn't go well.
So with the PS1 they came out and basically invented the casual gamer and trashware (which they subsequently lost numbers out to M$ and Nintendo respectively) now they are jumping on the iPhone/android bandwagon just adding flashy graphics.

Of course it'll go well, and I myself will own one. I just won't be using it for all the bandwagon shit that I already have devices for :wenger:

Redlambs

I'm loving my ps3 (the iplayer support clinched it for me) but my psp is sitting gathering dust, even though I've hacked it (not trying to sound l33t, have forgotten the term) and have access to free games. Can't see the appeal of handhelds, then again, I've got a two minute commute.
That's exactly why the likes of PSP (and all other pretenders to the throne) haven't broke the Gameboy monopoly.

Mobile phones are the only thing coming close, but even then what lets them down are imagination (bar the odd few titles) and most basically controls :p

WeasteDevil

So with the PS1 they came out and basically invented the casual gamer and trashware (which they subsequently lost numbers out to M$ and Nintendo respectively) now they are jumping on the iPhone/android bandwagon just adding flashy graphics.

Of course it'll go well, and I myself will own one. I just won't be using it for all the bandwagon shit that I already have devices for :wenger:
No, it smells PS1 in that it's all off the shelf components and is not expensive to make, yet seems to have a very large support base not only 1st but also 3rd party. You can also basically take your iOS or 3DS game and plonk it on it, yet it's also powerful enough that you can't do the same in reverse. It's very clever if you think about it.

Of course you have other devices, but you also have other devices that do what the 3DS does, except they don't do them in 3D and you can't run Nintendo IP on them. I don't see you moaning about 3DS or making a case against it. Then again, you've always been a Nintendo fanboy, so it's not surprising.

Redlambs

No, it smells PS1 in that it's all off the shelf components and is not expensive to make, yet seems to have a very large support base not only 1st but also 3rd party. You can also basically take your iOS or 3DS game and plonk it on it, yet it's also powerful enough that you can't do the same in reverse. It's very clever if you think about it.
I know what you meant. It's no more clever than the Psp was at the time.

Of course you have other devices, but you also have other devices that do what the 3DS does, except they don't do them in 3D and you can't run Nintendo IP on them. I don't see you moaning about 3DS or making a case against it. Then again, you've always been a Nintendo fanboy, so it's not surprising.
:lol: I owe Sony and Sega a lot more than I ever will Nintendo.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
Yet PSP has sold over 60m units. It's not a monopoly anymore.
Am I right in saying that the only home consoles to have outsold it are the Wii and PS2? People are somewhat quick to talk it down, considering it is the first foray of Sony into the handheld market it has done well for them.

Redlambs

Yet PSP has sold over 60m units. It's not a monopoly anymore.
Yeah monopoly wasn't the right word.

Am I right in saying that the only home consoles to have outsold it are the Wii and PS2? People are somewhat quick to talk it down, considering it is the first foray of Sony into the handheld market it has done well for them.
I'm not sure anyone could actually talk it's technical brilliance down with any conviction (well apart from fanboys), however it's actual purpose is debatable.