Gaming Nintendo Switch

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
I'm trying to play dq11 again, but I just hate silent protagonists so much. Just standing there like a fecking mute.
It’s also the only downside of Fire Emblem, so annoying.

Baneofthegame

I'm surprised that there's no activity in here after yesterday's news!

Nintendo's online service for the Switch will launch a bunch of N64 and Sega Genesis games in late October! The only thing that could top these news is a new 3D Zelda game, imo.
I might finally be able to play the older Zelda games.

b82REZ

Didn't watch the direct last night but if I'm reading that correctly you need to pay for the "expansion pass" to get the N64 titles. I'm not paying anything extra for those games, because nostalgia aside N64 games have aged the worse out of all the old consoles.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Didn't watch the direct last night but if I'm reading that correctly you need to pay for the "expansion pass" to get the N64 titles. I'm not paying anything extra for those games, because nostalgia aside N64 games have aged the worse out of all the old consoles.
Agreed. Never had an N64 so it would've been a lovely extra thing as part of Nintendo Online but I'm not paying even more on top of what is already a totally useless subscription service.

OleBoiii

N64 is my favorite console so I'm gonna be all over this, but I agree that the extra cost is a dick move from Nintendo. Then again, Nintendo is a terribly run company that peaked in the 90's, so I'm not surprised.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Typical Nintendo. Bending over their fans and shafting them for more money.

I won't pay for that but if WWE No Mercy, 1080 Snowboarding and Goldeneye were on it with online play, I would be tempted...

Woodzy

It’ll almost certainly not have Goldeneye which is an instant downside.

The plus here though is that I can probably get those new N64 controllers working on my nvidia shield.

Woodzy

Typical Nintendo. Bending over their fans and shafting them for more money.

I won't pay for that but if WWE No Mercy, 1080 Snowboarding and Goldeneye were on it with online play, I would be tempted...
I’d be very surprised to see No Mercy and Goldeneye. Licensing for stuff like that is a real pain in the arse.

Those are literally the two games I would want most as well, a lot the great single player games have already been re-released at some point.

Mario Kart will be fun but is there any real point with Mario Kart 8 being miles better?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I’d be very surprised to see No Mercy and Goldeneye. Licensing for stuff like that is a real pain in the arse.

Those are literally the two games I would want most as well, a lot the great single player games have already been re-released at some point.

Mario Kart will be fun but is there any real point with Mario Kart 8 being miles better?
Mario Kart 8 does the job. Without those games, I have no interest in N64.

OleBoiii

There are so many good games for the N64! Not all of these will be released for licensing reasons, but still:

- Ocarina of Time
- Majora's Mask
- Super Smash Bros.
- Mario Kart 64
- Super Mario 64
- Mario Party
- Goldeneye
- Perfect Dark
- Conker's Bad Fur Day (hilarious game and brilliant multiplayer)
- F-Zero X
- Bomberman 64
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
- 1080 Snowboarding
- Jet Force Gemini

Balljy

N64 is my favorite console so I'm gonna be all over this, but I agree that the extra cost is a dick move from Nintendo. Then again, Nintendo is a terribly run company that peaked in the 90's, so I'm not surprised.
It's a dick move agreed, but they're an unbelievably well run company who know how to rake in the cash and make huge profits on relatively few releases. They also have massive cash reserves. I would argue that in the console space they are the best run of the lot of them as they know what they do well and don't try and compete hardware-wise, but still rake in the cash.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/06/nint...fit-record-and-beats-wii-and-ds-era-14529262/

OleBoiii

It's a dick move agreed, but they're an unbelievably well run company who know how to rake in the cash and make huge profits on relatively few releases.
Ah, in terms of making money they are well-run. But I'm sure that they could earn a lot more money if they fixed their terrible net code and online platform and didn't actively try to sabotage their competitive gamers who offer them plenty of free positive publicity.

This video pretty much sums up everything I dislike about Nintendo.

Balljy

Ah, in terms of making money they are well-run. But I'm sure that they could earn a lot more money if they fixed their terrible net code and online platform and didn't actively try to sabotage their competitive gamers who offer them plenty of free positive publicity.

This video pretty much sums up everything I dislike about Nintendo.

I'll watch the video later, but have watched the start. I agree they do make what seem like bizarre decisions in games and don't make the ones the fanbase are asking for. They must be aware of the state of their online services but somehow it doesn't seem to affect them too much. I would have thought we are well past the time where good net code is a must, but it doesn't seem to matter for Nintendo sales.

OleBoiii

but it doesn't seem to matter for Nintendo sales.
That is the truly bizarre part(and also the main topic of the video). Nintendo fans are fiercely loyal and cult-like. It's hard to find other examples like this when it comes to products and companies, but I guess Apple fanboys sort of fall in the same category.

b82REZ

People getting excited for the N64 games will be disappointed when they play them.

In the vacuum of the 90s they were excellent, but playing them now with the harsh framerates and odd control schemes you'll be hugely disappointed.

b82REZ

Have I genuinely just read that Nintendo are a terribly run company? :lol:

Even after the occasional misstep (looking at you Wii U) they sell like hot cakes. Nothing to do with a "cult-like" following. They make excellent products.

Massive Spanner

Have I genuinely just read that Nintendo are a terribly run company? :lol:

Even after the occasional misstep (looking at you Wii U) they sell like hot cakes. Nothing to do with a "cult-like" following. They make excellent products.
Yeah they've completely taken over the Japanese market. Sony don't even bother there anymore.

I do think they have a cult like following but it's because they make excellent products, a bit like Apple. As a result then it means they can charge silly money for those products and people will lap it up.

OleBoiii

People getting excited for the N64 games will be disappointed when they play them.

In the vacuum of the 90s they were excellent, but playing them now with the harsh framerates and odd control schemes you'll be hugely disappointed.
I played N64 games fairly recently. Both on the original console and on emulators. The games still hold up, imo.

Then again, I don't give a shit about graphics. I do get headaches if the game is too "choppy", but I have no problem with N64 games.

OleBoiii

It is more than possible for a company to make good exclusives and still have rabid fanboys who will excuse or even defend terrible business practises. And Nintendo fanboys are notorious in this regard.

The exclusive titles are the only good thing about Nintendo, imo. Pretty much everything else about the company is shit. And it's not like all of their exclusives are great either. The Smash Bros formula can only go so far. Just adding new characters don't really improve the game. I'd actually argue that it's detrimental to the game play. The same is true for the Pokemon franchise.

Massive Spanner

One of us
I hate Nintendo! They are money grabbing pricks who don't give two shits about the gamers who are so loyal to them.

But they do make great games and the Switch is a great console (and the only own of theirs I've ever owned) so whaddyagonnado.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It’ll almost certainly not have Goldeneye which is an instant downside.

The plus here though is that I can probably get those new N64 controllers working on my nvidia shield.
They have announced that Banjo Kazooie is coming to the platform at a later date so maybe a deal with Microsoft has been struck for Nintendo to use its Rare games?

I think the major issue with Goldeneye has been getting the rights from the movie studio and getting Pierce Brosnan’s permission to use his likeness. I may be wrong but I think this was a big reason why they removed Brosnan’s likeness from the Wii remake.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Nintendo's online service for the Switch will launch a bunch of N64 and Sega Genesis games in late October! The only thing that could top these news is a new 3D Zelda game, imo.
For extra cost. Fair play to Nintendo, they know that their base will pay. Fully expecting when the GB games are added, they'll be part of a different expansion pack. They'll probably have Pokemon Red or something with to entice people (like Banjo Kazooie is for the N64 pack), but there'll be no home connectivity.

Massive Spanner

Also is this Metroid game really going to be good enough to justify paying full price for considering all the amazing Metroidvania games we've gotten in the last few years at a fraction the price?

celia

For nostalgia maybe and to be able to do the rainbow road faster thanks to jumps. The skyscraper stage for battle mode is small enough to make it interesting to play with 3 players.

Nintendo making a sub only for N64 and Sega games doesn't really surprise me since they rarely drop the prices of their games and then sell them later as remakes/remasters.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
For me Mario Kart 64 is the best of them all. Many great memories from that game

MiceOnMeth

:lol: :lol: :lol: an expansion pass for online Ninty Just don't give a feck do they? Also 4 years into the switchs life and still no gameboy, gameboy advance or ds games.

Shark

@NotShark
:lol: :lol: :lol: an expansion pass for online Ninty Just don't give a feck do they? Also 4 years into the switchs life and still no gameboy, gameboy advance or ds games.
They're an awful company that people call well run because they're raking in cash from people that don't know any better. Very similar to Apple loyalists.

T_Model101

Also is this Metroid game really going to be good enough to justify paying full price for considering all the amazing Metroidvania games we've gotten in the last few years at a fraction the price?
Of course, you'll be able to pick it up at release for a slight discount from Curry's or whatever. Complete it, then sell it for probably more than what you paid for it

U99ted

DS games wouldn't be very feasible- the Switch only has 1 screen, and to use the touch screen you have to be in handheld mode. The Wii U had them, as it was better suited. I struggle to think of a GB game outside of Pokemon that I would revisit. A lot of them have a NES/SNES equivalent anyway.

They're an awful company that people call well run because they're raking in cash from people that don't know any better. Very similar to Apple loyalists.
A lot of people have a Switch for its exclusives, alongside another console/PC. Hardly because they "don't know any better".

Shark

@NotShark
A lot of people have a Switch for its exclusives, alongside another console/PC. Hardly because they "don't know any better".
Definitely. However there's also a significant portion of the fanbase that, like Apple fanatics don't step outside the ecosystem.

MiceOnMeth

DS games wouldn't be very feasible- the Switch only has 1 screen, and to use the touch screen you have to be in handheld mode. The Wii U had them, as it was better suited.
If i can emulate DS games on my android phone with the screen split I'm sure Nintendo can think of something. I would absolutely love heart gold on my Switch with online support etc. They could charge full price and it would print money.