Gaming Nintendo Switch

Coxy

Bought some vouchers yesterday (Nintendo online). Will be buying Astral Chain and Mario Maker 2 with them - can’t wait!

Also want to get Dragon Quest Builders 2 as well soon, really enjoyed the demo

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I wasn't that impressed by DQXI. It was a decent JRPG but that's it, the combat was pretty basic and the story was very generic. Some fun characters though and it did look great. It's not a patch on Persona 5, Ys VIII, or FE: Three Houses.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I wasn't that impressed by DQXI. It was a decent JRPG but that's it, the combat was pretty basic and the story was very generic. Some fun characters though and it did look great. It's not a patch on Persona 5, Ys VIII, or FE: Three Houses.
While yes, I do also prefer the other 3 games, the world is really beautiful in DQXI is what makes it a top JRPG for me.

Massive Spanner

While yes, I do also prefer the other 3 games, the world is really beautiful in DQXI is what makes it a top JRPG for me.
Meh, I absolutely hated the music to be point where I had to turn it off after a half an hour. The boss battles didn't even have their own fecking theme. There were like 3 tracks for the entire game. I hear they've fixed that on the switch version, though.

The world was pretty but I didn't like that

they basically reset it and you essentially had to re-visit every single place after the time-jump, I always find that lazy

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Meh, I absolutely hated the music to be point where I had to turn it off after a half an hour. The boss battles didn't even have their own fecking theme. There were like 3 tracks for the entire game. I hear they've fixed that on the switch version, though.

The world was pretty but I didn't like that

they basically reset it and you essentially had to re-visit every single place after the time-jump, I always find that lazy
The music isn't great but the Switch version you can switch to DQVIII music or change the DQXI music to the symphonic version.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Sweet, I'll give that a go. I still have to finish off the last stages of Octopath now that I think of it. So many games to get through.
Oh still on chapter 2 of Octopath Traveler, I need to play that, tomorrow is Octopath day.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I just found out there's Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Why did no one tell me?!?! My favorite guilty pleasure series.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
That sounds good. I thought it looked nice from screenshots but thought if it was just exactly like Minecraft and nothing else then it wouldn't really appeal to me, having some Zelda mixed in though might :D
There's far more adventure than Minecraft(I believe), gotta run off on adventures, defeat big monsters, defend the towns you build/repair. I'm not a big Minecraft fan, but this I love, though they do give you areas for pure Minecrafty building(though you still have to harvest materials) if you fancy a break from main game play.

Havak

Pokemon master
I've been saving for a house, thus trying to skimp where I can. Unfortunately, it has meant skipping out on Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and cancelling my pre-order for Daemon X Machina as well (I really wanted the collector's edition but I just can't justify it). Also, lack of time is a pretty massive drawback so as well as funds, that is holding me back in terms of buying as many games as I wanted to. Due to me expecting Pokémon to take up the majority of my time come November, I'm only buying Astral Chain (this Friday) and Ni No Kuni in September, but I'm looking forward to those two immensely and I'll have all of September/October to play them until Pokémon comes out.

Anyone else picking up Astral Chain? Looks the business and is reviewing extremely well.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I thought that Marvel game was supposed to be fairly bad anyway?
They're mediocre, but I love the mindless beat em up with a bit of rpg they bring. Dont expect a triple A experience though. Retail price is a bit steep. I'd say for 30 odd euros it's worth a spin.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
They're mediocre, but I love the mindless beat em up with a bit of rpg they bring. Dont expect a triple A experience though.
Fair! I wasn't even sure what kind of game they were. Sometimes I love a game like that too, a bit of mindless fun, or like that Hyrule Warriors(not 100% sure that's the exact name), where you just run around with all kinds of Zelda characters beating the feck out of massive mobs of troops.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Fair! I wasn't even sure what kind of game they were. Sometimes I love a game like that too, a bit of mindless fun, or like that Hyrule Warriors(not 100% sure that's the exact name), where you just run around with all kinds of Zelda characters beating the feck out of massive mobs of troops.
That's pretty much an identical premise. Beat up endless mobs with all your favorite heroes. It's neither deep, nor challenging, but strangely rewarding.

Coxy

I've been saving for a house, thus trying to skimp where I can. Unfortunately, it has meant skipping out on Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and cancelling my pre-order for Daemon X Machina as well (I really wanted the collector's edition but I just can't justify it). Also, lack of time is a pretty massive drawback so as well as funds, that is holding me back in terms of buying as many games as I wanted to. Due to me expecting Pokémon to take up the majority of my time come November, I'm only buying Astral Chain (this Friday) and Ni No Kuni in September, but I'm looking forward to those two immensely and I'll have all of September/October to play them until Pokémon comes out.

Anyone else picking up Astral Chain? Looks the business and is reviewing extremely well.
Yes - can't play it for a while but picking it up with one of the vouchers from nintendo online. Great reviews and great developer.

Massive Spanner

Also getting Astral Chain.

Nintendo are fecking killing it right now, especially with Sony and MS not really releasing anything worthwhile this year.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
That's pretty much an identical premise. Beat up endless mobs with all your favorite heroes. It's neither deep, nor challenging, but strangely rewarding.
Dang it, now I want that too! Dragon Quest XI is supposed to be next.

I do love comics too, so it hits that nerve too.

EDIT: Oh shit oh feck! I didn't realise Deadpool was playable..... :nervous:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
There's far more adventure than Minecraft(I believe), gotta run off on adventures, defeat big monsters, defend the towns you build/repair. I'm not a big Minecraft fan, but this I love, though they do give you areas for pure Minecrafty building(though you still have to harvest materials) if you fancy a break from main game play.
Ah that sounds good, I'll have to check the demo out :D

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat

Already used a voucher on it, can't wait.

Woodzy

Played and finished Luigi's Mansion for the first time over the weekend - didn't expect to enjoy it so much. Loved that it was so short as well to be honest, perfect length for me.

Second one worth playing?

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Aye, not every game needs to be a 150 hour epic. Now, I love a good long game too, but they don't have to all be that way.

Heh, a weird statement coming from someone who's a major fan of turn based JRPG's.

Havak

Pokemon master
I ordered Astral Chain but I seriously dunno how I'm gonna get myself away from Fire Emblem to even play it.
Apparently the main story is only a 20-25 hour game, even with skill trees for multiple weapon classes (about five I think). There is enough to warrant a second and third play-through though from what I've heard, as things can be missed unless you're really meticulous etc. I'm probably someone who will only play this once unless there really is a massive benefit to doing it again or I just end up really loving it. I'm kind of glad it can be done quickly though as it should leave more time for other games. I think you'll be able to find the time to do a session on this game once or twice a week and finish it over the course of a month though (assuming you're also buying a September game since every publisher seems to want to release a game in September this year for some reason).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Let me preface this by saying I'm enjoying Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 more than Red Dead Redemption 2 (blasphemy I know, but I don't like Rockstar game). It's absolutely ridiculous that they're the same price. The hours and budget that must have gone in to RDR are probably a hundred times that of MUA 3.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I second that Astral Chain is excellent. It's the iconic PlatinumGames action with a creative take by the first time director Takahisa Taura. Also, they hired a manga artist to do the character design. It's beautiful.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I second that Astral Chain is excellent. It's the iconic PlatinumGames action with a creative take by the first time director Takahisa Taura. Also, they hired a manga artist to do the character design. It's beautiful.
I played Nier Automata just before so when
the commander said We must become as gods it was quite a surprise.

Loving the game so far, I still can't find most of the hidden red case files, only 8 from 14 in case file 3. :lol:

Havak

Pokemon master
Astral Chain really is outstanding. If you're into action games then it's a must for the genre, it'll stand up to any Devil May Cry / Bayonetta / Neir: Automata etc you've played. However, there's a lot more depth, collection and exploration to it than those games IMO. It's also quite quirky and silly in areas, but it works. It's right up there with the best games of the year and maybe the generation IMO and I'm only probably 25% of the way through the campaign. I'm trying to do as much as possible on each case, but it seems like you need to unlock more Legions and go back to really starting getting 100% on things. I just love how the game looks, controls and plays. Can't ask for much more than that.

Absolutely recommend it.