Gaming Nintendo Switch

Bojan11

Loved BOTW though I did feel there was something missing from the game. And the dungeons that weren’t dungeons were disappointing.

Still one of my favourite games of the last decade.
Speaking of missing, where’s the gaming section you promised months ago?

You should not promise stuff as a mod if you not going to deliver.

Coxy

Benchmark as an empty world?
Ha, hell no. Skyrim for me had so much content, so many characters, so much atmosphere, so much going on in the world. Even walking into towns is worlds apart. You can't interact in the world in Skyrim the same way you can in BOTW, but there is just so much more going on for me.

I find BOTW so soulless and empty in comparison (but again - can see why people find it incredible)

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Anyone excited for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon? Never played one myself but it's crazy that it's coming same month as Animal Crossing.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Speaking of BotW:

Wait, why was he changing shields so often?

Also those fecking Lynels. I've done all shrines and have some decent armour sets, yet I'm still hesitant of going up against them.

Havak

Pokemon master
There are strong rumours again of the Switch Pro coming, in 2020 as well. I'm rather dubious of this as I'm not sure if it's that worth it for Nintendo from both a commercial and requirement aspect.

I mean, if they can get it out in the Spring/Summer, then they may get some good sales, but I think if it's being released to try and take away from PS5 or Xbox sales, it probably wouldn't. People will be saving their money for these products this year, so Nintendo would be best focusing on software until next year IMO. My expectation is March 2021 which seems like a better time, with the Switch being four years old and most people who wanted a next gen console early would have got it in the previous holiday period just gone. Historically, early releases on new consoles are cross gen games which can run on the weaker machines, so Nintendo probably wouldn't have huge issues getting versions of some of these games on the current hardware. However, going forward they would need to release a more powerful machine just to be able to keep tabs at a similar level they are now (eg. Games like Doom, Witcher 3, Wolfenstein and so on).

I'm probably way off with this and we see a Switch Pro come out in June or something near the Pokémon DLC and it plays old games at better quality. I just think around March 2021 makes a bit more sense and hopefully Nintendo can get another couple of years out of that before needing to release the next, even more powerful version. Whatever the outcome, I don't think this next console upgrade from Nintendo will run games at native 4K anyway. They'll probably focus on trying to get games running completely stable at 1080p.

Donut

I'm really tempted to get the Switch, but the used games market seems woeful in my country and 70€ per game is a lot.

Are there any regular discounts on the online store (like there are on PS)?

Are there enough smaller games (e.g., Cuphead) for the Switch to be worth it even without buying the AAA titles?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I'm really tempted to get the Switch, but the used games market seems woeful in my country and 70€ per game is a lot.

Are there enough smaller games (e.g., Cuphead) for the Switch to be worth it even without buying the AAA titles?
There's always sales and 100's of indie titles like cuphead yes. And Nintendo games are always too high second hand :(

Maagge

There are a lot of indie games which are regularly discounted by 20-40 % or something like that. I went quite a while without other "big" games than Mario Kart 8. Most of the time I was playing games like the SteamWorld games, Golf Story, Rayman, Hollow Knight etc.
There should be enough to keep you entertained without shelling out for the AAA games. Although Zelda and Mario etc. are always tempting.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
There's always sales and 100's of indie titles like cuphead yes. And Nintendo games are always too high second hand :(
Nintendo are the Apple of gaming land. Their shit never drops in price and always has crazy good resale value for some reason

Coxy

That's the best bit about the Switch imo!

I've bought more games for the Switch than any other console this generation. All digital too (well mostly) - even though I prefer physical.

Donut

There are a lot of indie games which are regularly discounted by 20-40 % or something like that. I went quite a while without other "big" games than Mario Kart 8. Most of the time I was playing games like the SteamWorld games, Golf Story, Rayman, Hollow Knight etc.
There should be enough to keep you entertained without shelling out for the AAA games. Although Zelda and Mario etc. are always tempting.
That's the best bit about the Switch imo!

I've bought more games for the Switch than any other console this generation. All digital too (well mostly) - even though I prefer physical.
Thanks guys! I'm going to get a used one if I can find a gray one, otherwise I'll get a new one. The yellow and especially the turquoise seem really ugly :D

Code-CX

Haven't touched my PS4 in a long time due to this. Been having a blast playing stuff like Dead Cells, Celeste, and Slay the Spire.

Anyone got recommendations for similar games?

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Haven't touched my PS4 in a long time due to this. Been having a blast playing stuff like Dead Cells, Celeste, and Slay the Spire.

If you enjoy Slay the Spire you could try Steamworld Quest, great game.

Maagge

Have you played Hollow Knight? It's not exactly like Dead Cells or Celeste (don't know anything about Slay the Spire), but it's a 2D metroidvania with beautiful graphics and a great soundtrack. But you get platforming (not as hard as Celeste) and some challenging fighting.

Maagge

Thanks guys! I'm going to get a used one if I can find a gray one, otherwise I'll get a new one. The yellow and especially the turquoise seem really ugly :D
Just in case you haven't noticed, the yellow and turqoise are the Switch Lite, which can play the same games as the normal Switch but cannot connect to your TV.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

Agree with @Maagge, try out Hollow Knight. One of the best games I've played.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Re: Hollow Knight, I'm a little put off by the Switch version though. It has the same slightly wonky collision issues, but it's made a bit worse by some bizarre spikes in control lags.

I know most won't even notice it, and I guess I wouldn't care if it was the only version I had played, but like the devs of Dead Cells they've not done a totally great job getting to grips with the hardware and how it should easily run these games.

Coxy

Couldn’t get into Hollow Knight myself - great game but damned is it hard. Couldn’t be arsed to slog through the second boss so gave up.

Currently playing the Touryst

played Football Manager Touch 2020 for 1 season but I’ve had enough now. I actually miss some of the stuff you get in the full game even though this is a quicker experience etc

Donut

Just in case you haven't noticed, the yellow and turqoise are the Switch Lite, which can play the same games as the normal Switch but cannot connect to your TV.
There is also a gray Lite version, which looks much better than the yellow and turquoise. To me at least.

Maagge

There is also a gray Lite version, which looks much better than the yellow and turquoise. To me at least.
Oh yeah I know, I just wanted to make sure you didn't inadvertently end up with a Switch Lite instead of a Switch (if that's what you're going for).

Unrelated: I was slightly disappointed by the final DLC character of Fighters Pass 1 for Smash being another Fire Emblem character.