Gaming Nintendo Switch

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Why do Switch games never seem to fall in price? On PS4 it doesn't take long before there is bargain but on the Switch most games still cost the same as on release.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
@Sweet Square - that 3rd party controller is excellent btw. Has chunkier bottoms so they grip better when using as a handheld. Also has gyro and rumble although not as powerful as the official ones. Only thing I'm wondering is how 4 player mario kart will work on the green one as it doesn't seem to have the A/B/X/Y buttons that the others do. Hold on let me test it....

edit: Uses the d-pad as buttons. Works really well actually. Defo worth a purchase if you want a joy-con alternative for half the price.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

@Sweet Square - that 3rd party controller is excellent btw. Has chunkier bottoms so they grip better when using as a handheld. Also has gyro and rumble although not as powerful as the official ones. Only thing I'm wondering is how 4 player mario kart will work on the green one as it doesn't seem to have the A/B/X/Y buttons that the others do. Hold on let me test it....

edit: Uses the d-pad as buttons. Works really well actually. Defo worth a purchase if you want a joy-con alternative for half the price.
Cheers for this. You've saved me paying full price.

Last edited:

Woodzy

Poor year for the Switch in my opinion. Whenever I see this thread bumped I hope it's because something has been announced but never anything.

Havak

Pokemon master
I think they'll be some kind of announcement next week and then something again in September. If you're not into the Mario games though, I think this could be a slow end to the year for Nintendo.

Rumour was that the first party games coming this year are:

- Pikmin 3 Deluxe (Wii U port)
- Mario 3D World Deluxe (Wii U port)
- Mario HD Collection(s) (Remakes)
- Something else

Apparently there is one more first party Nintendo title to be announced and will come out this year but it's getting tight now. They're just relying on people continuing to buy evergreen titles for now.

Bojan11

I think they'll be some kind of announcement next week and then something again in September. If you're not into the Mario games though, I think this could be a slow end to the year for Nintendo.

- Something else

Apparently there is one more first party Nintendo title to be announced and will come out this year but it's getting tight now. They're just relying on people continuing to buy evergreen titles for now.
There’s supposed to be a direct coming next Friday. The guy who got the indie direct right predicted it.

I will love to replay the old Mario games. Can see why people will call it a poor year though as there’s not many new games besides remakes. Brilliant year, if you love Mario if those games come out.

Woodzy

- Something else

Would be more than happy with this. The rest doesn't interest me quite as much (to be fair, haven't played Pikmin before).

What I really want is Metroid Prime Trilogy port and some new games.

Spoony

The People's President

- Something else

Will they be remade?

Havak

Pokemon master
Will they be remade?
We're not sure at the moment, but I think we will definitely find out over the next 2-3 weeks what Nintendo's schedule is for the remainder of 2020.

I'm hopeful that they have gone to the effort to get them looking closer to Odyssey, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are just given a HD gloss and a bit of a tweak...

celia

Why do Switch games never seem to fall in price? On PS4 it doesn't take long before there is bargain but on the Switch most games still cost the same as on release.
They still sell. There's no incentive to do so for Nintendo. Well for the Nintendo games. I am pretty sure you can get lot of other Switch games way cheaper than at release.

It was true of Nintendo during the Wii U years, during the Wii years, and during the Game Cube years (and probably from earlier). Though they usually release a selection of cheaper games later in a Nintendo Selects label (formerly Player's Choice). Though I see they only rarely picked the pokémon main games. And they haven't started to do it for Switch games.

USREDEVIL

Me and my 5 year old son have just beaten Luigi's mansion 3. We missed out on about 5 gems which i'm not super stoked about so we might re-start from a bit back and get the gems and then re-flip.

Oh i've just bought Luigi's mansion 1 which apparently works on the Wii so i'll be doing that next i think.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Me and my 5 year old son have just beaten Luigi's mansion 3. We missed out on about 5 gems which i'm not super stoked about so we might re-start from a bit back and get the gems and then re-flip.

Oh i've just bought Luigi's mansion 1 which apparently works on the Wii so i'll be doing that next i think.
I wish they'd release parts 1&2 on switch.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.

I’m playing this now. Really good game. I’m not too fussed about the gems though. The level designs are really creative and fun.

Bojan11

Nintendo Co. plans to debut an upgraded model of its Switch console next year along with a lineup of new games, people familiar with the matter said, ceding 2020’s holiday spotlight to rival devices from Sony Corp. and Microsoft Corp.

The specifications of the new machine have yet to be finalized, though the Kyoto-based company has looked into including more computing power and 4K high-definition graphics, people briefed on the strategy told Bloomberg News, asking not to be identified because it’s private.

The release of the upgraded Switch would be coupled with, or followed by, a slew of games from Nintendo itself and related outside studios, the people said. Those games would address a wide range of players, from casual gamers seeking small doses of escapism to more devoted fans putting in marathon gaming sessions. The focus on next year’s pipeline explains Nintendo’s relatively quiet software release schedule so far this year, the people said.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...raded-switch-console-and-major-games-for-2021

Bojan11

Nooooo! I just bought my switch you cnuts!
It’s a while off. Probably mid next year. It’s been rumoured for a while and Mochizuki is very reliable when it comes to Nintendo stuff.

They definitely won’t announce it this year due to the fact it will hurt Xmas sales.

There’s a partner direct coming this week and a general direct in September.

Bojan11

Ah feck. Is Gold on there? That’s the only one I liked.
I believe it’s in the rare replay game. The new ones are pretty decent especially online where you get lag with a lot of fighting games. But there was minimal lag in Killer instinct online.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I believe it’s in the rare replay game. The new ones are pretty decent especially online where you get lag with a lot of fighting games. But there was minimal lag in Killer instinct online.
Ah I’ll have to have a look. I loved that game as a kid. N64 was such a good console.

Havak

Pokemon master
I'll be surprised if another Switch model released in 2021 is much of an upgrade. It does sound like early reports think it could be, but I would think that it won't be a massive leap and not a necessary purchase - particularly if you just want to enjoy first party exclusives at a reasonable entry price. Nintendo won't want to drop a price cut on the current models when they're probably averaging sales of about 18million consoles a year thus far? They'll be making a very tidy profit on each one at the moment, so I think they might test the waters with a $350/£350 model that has a higher quality handheld display and perhaps a dock that can output 1440p or at least play current games to a higher quality.

eg. Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey don't quite get to 1080p docked, while BotW in particular has the odd frame drop and Mario probably does too when there's a lot going on. I think this Switch will be enough of an upgrade to get these games to a flat 1080p/30 & 1080p/60 docked, while staying at 720p in handheld.

We'll probably see some improvements and tweaks to overall build quality, probably even battery life again if possible. There will not be exclusive games for it, I think we can already categorically say this. However, I would not be surprised if third party developers release games that run well on this and run like dog shit on the current model (especially the Lite).

So, all in all, I'm thinking more of a 'New 3DS' level of upgrade, but probably even less significant in terms of power as I fully expect that this new model will still use the same Tegra X1 chip. If you're someone who pretty much just runs through first party exclusive one after another, I really think you could easily give this upgrade a miss. So, let's see what they announce next year. Reports are saying announcing Q4 19/20 (Jan-Mar) & releasing Q1 20/21 (Apr-Jun). I personally think we could see Nintendo wait until around April/May to announce this thing to be a big boost to the next financial year and probably releasing in July along say... A Zelda Skyward Sword remake?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
My little boy has just had the dreaded “your switch is overheating” message and the console turned itself off.

I noticed last week that the fan was making a very loud whirring noise.

I’m guessing that the fan needs replacing. Seems to be a very common issue when it’s mainly used in the dock.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
If you connect your Switch to the dock and play it on the tv with the Joycons on the Joycon grip (controller thingy), do you then connect the Joycons back onto the console once you're done playing or you just leave it on the grip?

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
If you connect your Switch to the dock and play it on the tv with the Joycons on the Joycon grip (controller thingy), do you then connect the Joycons back onto the console once you're done playing or you just leave it on the grip?
I usually put them back on the console for them to charge and because chances are I'll play handheld next time.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The Switch is bullet proof, bar the crap joysticks on the joy cons.
My two kids left it out in the pouring rain for three days, when they eventually found the thing it carried on working as new, and has done since then, this was about a year ago now!!
No decent FPS games though as far as I'm concerned unless anyone has any shouts?

Bojan11

The Switch is bullet proof, bar the crap joysticks on the joy cons.
My two kids left it out in the pouring rain for three days, when they eventually found the thing it carried on working as new, and has done since then, this was about a year ago now!!
No decent FPS games though as far as I'm concerned unless anyone has any shouts?
Apex legends is coming out. One notable member on here is addicted to it. He has played over 40,000 games. I can’t remember who but hopefully they find this thread.

Superunknown

They should release a Killer Instinct Gold remake. Best fighting game ever.
That and the original Killer Instinct on the SNES were two great games from my childhood. Fantastic fighting games. I really miss the depth and variety of fighting and racing games that we used to have. Every other game is an FPS or some other variation of a shooter, these days.