Gaming Nintendo Switch

UmbroDays

Is the Switch still a good option?

Thinking of getting Mario Kart and 3D World and a couple of controllers - which is close to £500.

I've heard of rumours Wii Pro, but not sure if I should look for 2nd hand device

b82REZ

Thinking of getting Mario Kart and 3D World and a couple of controllers - which is close to £500.

I've heard of rumours Wii Pro, but not sure if I should look for 2nd hand device
No idea what a Wii Pro is.

500 sounds steep for that bundle. Think the console should be about 300 and games are generally about 50.

Bojan11

£500? How many controllers are you buying?

Yes, its a good option. There are rumours that a switch pro could be released , but nobody really knows when it's coming and it might not even happen this year because Nvidia are having manufacturing difficulties at the moment.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

500 sounds steep for that bundle. Think the console should be about 300 and games are generally about 50.

Yes, its a good option. There are rumours that a switch pro could be released , but nobody really knows when it's coming and it might not even happen this year because Nvidia are having manufacturing difficulties at the moment.
Nah it makes sense:

Switch: 300
Mario Kart: 40
Mario 3d World: 50
2x controllers: 120 (60x2)

Total, 510

That's before adding the memory card that most people get as well as the online sub.

of course, if he looks around, he can find the above cheaper and I personally prefer the 8bitdo to the Nintendo Pro Controller.

UmbroDays

The GAME bundle seems to be a bit higher:

£350 - NINTENDO SWITCH MARIO RED & BLUE EDITION + SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD
£50 - Mario Kart
£60 - Controller

I didn't even know about memory cards and what not, also for some reason I can't find a normal coloured JoyCon controller set, seems to be funky colours or the pro-controller and I don't know how good they are.

I used to work for GAME and SEGA and knew everything about the gaming industry, but things are a bit confusing and I've become a casual. I tried to get a Switch a while ago and it was tough, and tried to get a PS5 today and it was a pain. Things used to be so much more simpler :(

Last edited:

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal

If it's only Mario Kart 8 and 3D World that you're looking to play just get a Wii U. Both games were released on it and you can get a second hand system with multiple joypads for around £60/70.

You can also hack the Wii U if you're into that sort of thing.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

£50 - Mario Kart
£60 - Controller

I didn't even know about memory cards and what not, also for some reason I can't find a normal coloured JoyCon controller set, seems to be funky colours or the pro-controller and I don't know how good they are.

I used to work for GAME and SEGA and knew everything about the gaming industry, but things are a bit confusing and I've become a casual. I tried to get a Switch a while ago and it was tough, and tried to get a PS5 today and it was a pain. Things used to be so much more simpler :(
Bundles are not worth it for the switch atm. Buy the console and the games separate. You can pick up the headline games for brand new £35 when they regularly get discounted in sales. Or just buy them used, I managed to get odyssey for £25, you just have to look around a bit.

Edit: 350 for the Mario bundle switch is a bit steep too, when I was looking for it I found it for 320 on very i think it was. I ended up just pre ordering on Amazon which was 20 pounds more expensive than other retailers (who sold out quickly) as I left it late. So I don't think the game deal is good value at all.

Last edited:

UmbroDays

If it's only Mario Kart 8 and 3D World that you're looking to play just get a Wii U. Both games were released on it and you can get a second hand system with multiple joypads for around £60/70.

You can also hack the Wii U if you're into that sort of thing.
Nah it'll be more, first party Switch games and also just having the newer hardware. Only reason I am buying those games first is because the Mrs will be gaming with me, so really needed the basics for her to start first.
Bundles are not worth it for the switch atm. Buy the console and the games separate. You can pick up the headline games for brand new £35 when they regularly get discounted in sales. Or just buy them used, I managed to get odyssey for £25, you just have to look around a bit.

Edit: 350 for the Mario bundle switch is a bit steep too, when I was looking for it I found it for 320 on very i think it was. I ended up just pre ordering on Amazon which was 20 pounds more expensive than other retailers (who sold out quickly) as I left it late. So I don't think the game deal is good value at all.
Yeah everywhere is sold out, Nintendo had it on for £320 and Amazon is now OoS and was £330, so it's £20 extra and not as crazy as the scalper prices on eBay which are closer to £400 for just the console.

I ended up getting it from Smyths all separately in the end, similar price to GAME/Amazon plus the Pro Controller for £10 cheaper, so not too bad in the end

Not sure why this pandemic has caused so much stuff to be scalped and go OoS on the main sites.

Moby

Dick
3rd boss is when it gets relatively hard.
After a few runs and learning which builds are best you'll probably consistently reach the last boss. That's where the real challenge is.

Once you realise most bosses and enemies can be scammed if you have deflect on dodge or attack you'll fly through the stages.
Yeah I'm able to reach the final boss now but what then. That shit just seems unfair especially him getting all his health back when you have him down. Feel I have no chance there. Especially as you use up so much of your health vs Theseus.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Nah it'll be more, first party Switch games and also just having the newer hardware. Only reason I am buying those games first is because the Mrs will be gaming with me, so really needed the basics for her to start first.

Yeah everywhere is sold out, Nintendo had it on for £320 and Amazon is now OoS and was £330, so it's £20 extra and not as crazy as the scalper prices on eBay which are closer to £400 for just the console.

I ended up getting it from Smyths all separately in the end, similar price to GAME/Amazon plus the Pro Controller for £10 cheaper, so not too bad in the end

Not sure why this pandemic has caused so much stuff to be scalped and go OoS on the main sites.
From what I've gathered it's due to lack of parts (covid) and due to lockdowns people sat at home have started to take up gaming to keep occupied. Nearly all platforms have this issue.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Yeah I'm able to reach the final boss now but what then. That shit just seems unfair especially him getting all his health back when you have him down. Feel I have no chance there. Especially as you use up so much of your health vs Theseus.
Keep trying until you get an OP build is what I did.

Moby

Dick
Keep trying until you get an OP build is what I did.
It sucks when you get great builds but can't finish the run. I go with the Spear special attacks and that shit was destruction in this build. Everything is fine till Minotaur but once you kill him and Theseus summons one of the gods that's the biggest shit on you moment in the game. Bastard summoned Athena that time. You end up beating him but with barely anything left.

Bojan11

£50 - Mario Kart
£60 - Controller

You can get the controller for £49 from Currys.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ni...-ps4899-delivered-with-code-at-currys-3652851

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The switch has been seriously disappointing of late. When I got it it felt like there were loads of games to play and constantly new release but I've barely touched the thing in the last year except to play Hades and there doesn't look like there's much on the horizon for it either.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
The switch has been seriously disappointing of late. When I got it it felt like there were loads of games to play and constantly new release but I've barely touched the thing in the last year except to play Hades and there doesn't look like there's much on the horizon for it either.
Inclined to agree. Still no Metroid game :mad:

b82REZ

It's my indie games machine now.

It went by the wayside when I first got my PS5 but I've started playing it again recently.

Looking forward to getting stuck into Bowser's Fury tonight.

They do need to release BoTW2 ASAP though.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's my indie games machine now.

It went by the wayside when I first got my PS5 but I've started playing it again recently.

Looking forward to getting stuck into Bowser's Fury tonight.

They do need to release BoTW2 ASAP though.
Yeah I guess my problem is I don't play a lot of indie games and when I do it's usually on PC first. Hades was an obvious one for the Switch, though.

Dunno, I guess I expected more from Nintendo and even 3rd party devs given the huge sales of it, especially with RPG's which the Nintendo DS was famous for. The first year was spectacular obviously with Zelda, Mario etc. but since then there has been feck all. The last game I really enjoyed on it was Fire Emblem and that was over a year and a half ago!

b82REZ

Yeah I guess my problem is I don't play a lot of indie games and when I do it's usually on PC first. Hades was an obvious one for the Switch, though.

Dunno, I guess I expected more from Nintendo and even 3rd party devs given the huge sales of it, especially with RPG's which the Nintendo DS was famous for. The first year was spectacular obviously with Zelda, Mario etc. but since then there has been feck all. The last game I really enjoyed on it was Fire Emblem and that was over a year and a half ago!
I do think Covid has had a much larger impact that we've realised. I expect some sort of Zelda celebration this year similar to the Mario ones last year

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Excited for Mario 3D world, I never played it on WiiU so don’t mind paying for it, tonight sorted

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Excited for Mario 3D world, I never played it on WiiU so don’t mind paying for it, tonight sorted
Really looking forward to this but I made a promise that I'd finish games before buying a new one. I had a backlog which is now clear.

I'm currently trying to complete Celeste then will move onto this.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Really looking forward to this but I made a promise that I'd finish games before buying a new one. I had a backlog which is now clear.

I'm currently trying to complete Celeste then will move onto this.
a clear backlog you’re a better man than me :lol:

I loved Celeste, keep meaning to go back and do some of the harder tapes and stuff

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
a clear backlog you’re a better man than me :lol:

I loved Celeste, keep meaning to go back and do some of the harder tapes and stuff
Well my backlog wasn't THAT many games :lol:

I've pretty much completed all the normal stages in Celeste. Gonna move on to the B Sides and try that. Doubt I'll do the C Sides as I had a look on YouTube and they look beyond my skill level.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Anyone finish the Farewell chapter in Celeste? It's doing my nut :lol:
Just looked it up. I think that might've been added after I played it. Which gives me a reason to go back, I suppose.
Have you enjoyed the game?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Just looked it up. I think that might've been added after I played it. Which gives me a reason to go back, I suppose.
Have you enjoyed the game?
Absolutely loved it. The first game I truly enjoyed since finishing Hollow Knight. I'm at a point in this farewell chapter where I can't proceed as I need to finish all the B Sides to open a gate. This might be it for me as the B Sides appear to be beyond my skill level.

Thanks for the tip though, great game. Once I'm done with this, time to get Cuphead!

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Is the COOP in Super Mario 3D worth it? Any caffers I can add as friends on my Switch?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Just bought Mario Odyssey. Gonna move on to that if I ever complete Celeste.

Hopefully I like it. Is it difficult?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Super mario 3D world is pretty good. Not quite as good as Odessey and Galaxy but still worth it if you havnt played it before. Graphics hold up as well

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
What’s the likelihood of the Wind Waker ever coming to switch? It’s the Zelda game I’m dying to play again.
I’d be so up for that, such a good game, but given it had a wii u release I’m not sure

Havak

Pokemon master
What’s the likelihood of the Wind Waker ever coming to switch? It’s the Zelda game I’m dying to play again.
I think eventually they will port the Wii U versions of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess to Switch for sure. I'd say 99% they'll be on the Switch either this year or next.