Gaming Nintendo Switch

Sara125

Currently playing Syberia. Enjoying the story but it’s a point and click game, and some of the objectives and things to find are extremely obscure :mad: hate having to use walkthroughs it sucks the fun/suspense out

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Point & Clicks can be good when done right. A new Monkey Island game on the switch would be amazing.

Sara125

Point & Clicks can be good when done right. A new Monkey Island game on the switch would be amazing.
Growing up I used to love those Escape room kind of point n click games on the computer. Is there anything like that on the switch?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Growing up I used to love those Escape room kind of point n click games on the computer. Is there anything like that on the switch?
I'm not an expert in the genre but The Room is on there, I think.

I was going to recommend the Nonary games (999, Zero Time Dilemma, etc) but they're not on Switch, which I find very strange.

Also as much as I love Syberia it's much more story-driven than most point and clicks. If you want a 'classic' one of those then Thimbleweed Park and Day of the Tentacle are supreme.

Game On.

Sara125

I'm not an expert in the genre but The Room is on there, I think.

I was going to recommend the Nonary games (999, Zero Time Dilemma, etc) but they're not on Switch, which I find very strange.

Also as much as I love Syberia it's much more story-driven than most point and clicks. If you want a 'classic' one of those then Thimbleweed Park and Day of the Tentacle are supreme.

Game On.
Thanks I’ll check these out

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I caved and got one. What are the best RPGs/Games that will consume my time?

I have Pokemon Shield, Outer Worlds and Ni No Kuni already.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

You obviously need to give Breath of the Wild a whirl.
Dragon Quest XI is quite highly rated, so try out the demo. I have yet to get around to it myself.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"

The Xenoblade Chronicles games should tide you over until the end of the year.

Ainu

These are the Ionger games I enjoyed the most:
- Breath of the Wild (obviously, as others have said)
- Dragon Quest XI S
- Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

Games that really disappointed me as a JRPG fan:
- Octopath Traveler
- Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
These are the Ionger games I enjoyed the most:
- Breath of the Wild (obviously, as others have said)
- Dragon Quest XI S
- Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

Games that really disappointed me as a JRPG fan:
- Octopath Traveler
- Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
What didn't you like about Xenoblade? I'm always on the fence about buying it.

Agree about Octopath. It was bland as hell.

b82REZ

Grabbed Will of the Wisps. Seemed a steal at 12.50. While Blind Forest did eventually grow on me I never finished it.

I can already tell how much better WotW is, even in the quick 5 minutes I had on it. Blind Forest struggled because of the lack of combat IMO.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Grabbed Will of the Wisps. Seemed a steal at 12.50. While Blind Forest did eventually grow on me I never finished it.

I can already tell how much better WotW is, even in the quick 5 minutes I had on it. Blind Forest struggled because of the lack of combat IMO.
Is the sequel more combat heavy then? Blind Forest also took me a while to get into as it's more like a platformer (and I'd just finished Bloodstained so was expecting more action).

b82REZ

Is the sequel more combat heavy then? Blind Forest also took me a while to get into as it's more like a platformer (and I'd just finished Bloodstained so was expecting more action).
Reviews I watched basically said it was HK merged with Blind Forest. Has actual boss fights and everything now.

Ainu

What didn't you like about Xenoblade? I'm always on the fence about buying it.

Agree about Octopath. It was bland as hell.
I enjoyed XC at first but its weaknesses became more and more apparent as the game went on, until I almost started hating it. There's an overwhelming amount of inane side quests. Really, like the most I've ever seen in any game by a huge margin, and they're almost all completely meaningless. You could ignore them, but I often felt like I was falling behind the levelling curve even while doing so many side quests.

The game world consists of absurdly oversized areas filled with very little of interest but your traversal options are severely limited, meaning you spend a hugely significant portion of the game simply running from point A to B. It feels like the areas should be smaller by a factor of 3 or 4 or something. I never really enjoyed the combat and halfway through the game the story descended into a nonsensical, grandiose, anime mess.

My stubbornness prevented me from abandoning it at that point, so it was a massive relief when I finished it. It killed any interest I might have in pursuing any other game in the series. For a game that I saw described as "the greatest JRPG of the previous decade" in some places, I thought it was actually terrible in hindsight and I certainly couldn't recommend it to anyone.

Reviews I watched basically said it was HK merged with Blind Forest. Has actual boss fights and everything now.
Yeah it definitely felt more inspired by HK on the combat side, with a sort of variant on that game's charm system as well. Having 100%'ed WotW, I can say it's still more Ori than HK. The combat is much improved over its predecessor but it is a lot looser than HK. It doesn't have the same precision but you also don't need it, it's far more forgiving. The platforming is still its strongest asset, it's fast, fluent and very enjoyable.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I hated Xenoblade Chronicles DE personally. Not sure how it got so much praise.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a much better game but frustratingly slow to get going even by JRPG standards.

I liked Octopath as a JRPG, but yeah, the story wasn't up to much.

Dragon Quest XI is fine, like, it's a pretty typical JRPG, nothing special, which apparently in 2018 meant it got critical acclaim because no modern JRPG's are typical RPG's anymore, or something.

YS VIII is a great shout from Ainu, fantastic Action RPG.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is the best RPG on the Switch that doesn't have Zelda in the name, though. Hands down.

Ainu

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a much better game but frustratingly slow to get going even by JRPG standards.

Dragon Quest XI is fine, like, it's a pretty typical JRPG, nothing special, which apparently in 2018 meant it got critical acclaim because no modern JRPG's are typical RPG's anymore, or something.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is the best RPG on the Switch that doesn't have Zelda in the name, though. Hands down.
This is a game I still need to check out, but I've seen it described as a tactical RPG. I think the only other game I've played with the same genre description is Valkyria Chronicles. Is it similar to that game in terms of gameplay?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
This is a game I still need to check out, but I've seen it described as a tactical RPG. I think the only other game I've played with the same genre description is Valkyria Chronicles. Is it similar to that game in terms of gameplay?
I haven't played that, but yeah, it's a tactical JRPG mixed with the day to day stuff of Persona, sort of, and it's really replay-able as you can do it with.. you guessed it.. three houses. Think I spent 120 hours on it at the time and I only played 2 of the houses and was quite surprised at how different the story ended up in both playthroughs.

Generally I'd say if you like JRPG's, which it seems you do, you will love this, it's awesome. Easily my favourite JRPG of the last few years alongside Persona 5.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

God yes. I downloaded when it came on gamepass and knew nothing except the universal praise it had received. Obviously I was expecting some kind of masterpiece and then realised about 10 hours in that it was basically the JRPG equivalent of a lobotomy. Even the music is awful.

Have you played The World Ends With You? I always wanted to try it.

Ainu

God yes. I downloaded when it came on gamepass and knew nothing except the universal praise it had received. Obviously I was expecting some kind of masterpiece and then realised about 10 hours in that it was basically the JRPG equivalent of a lobotomy. Even the music is awful.

Have you played The World Ends With You? I always wanted to try it.
On Dragon Quest XI, I only really started enjoying it about 20-30 hours into the game. It's extremely slow, even by JRPG standards. Once I had a full party and plenty of skills and spells at my disposal, the battles became loads of fun. I wouldn't blame anyone for giving up earlier on, as it feels very limited for such a long time. They didn't do a good job with the pacing. It also helps that the Switch version replaced the awful soundtrack with a much improved, symphonic version.

I haven't played that, but yeah, it's a tactical JRPG mixed with the day to day stuff of Persona, sort of, and it's really replay-able as you can do it with.. you guessed it.. three houses. Think I spent 120 hours on it at the time and I only played 2 of the houses and was quite surprised at how different the story ended up in both playthroughs.

Generally I'd say if you like JRPG's, which it seems you do, you will love this, it's awesome. Easily my favourite JRPG of the last few years alongside Persona 5.
I'll have to give it a go in that case. I'm not completely sure the tactical part is really my jam but the game seems very highly rated in general, so we'll see.

Last edited:

celia

I love Fire Emblem: 3 Houses. It is even easy for a beginner to tactical games since there are the different difficulties.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
I love Fire Emblem: 3 Houses. It is even easy for a beginner to tactical games since there are the different difficulties.
Main question is - who are you dating? Petra is the obvious answer right?

celia

Main question is - who are you dating? Petra is the obvious answer right?
I don't like that much Petra, probably because as a ESL, I usually dislike reading or listening characters that use broken English or slang. I like better Ingrid and Lysithea.

Before starting, I have decided to just go with the lords for the first times. Especially since it may give more closure to the routes. I picked Sothis for the Church one (I found it weird) one but I wanted to get Rhea (because I thought she was hard to get, not because I like her). I still have two routes to do.

decorativeed

Ahh balls. Oh well. I might still give it a go.
It's probably just me getting impatient to be honest! I'm still a bit annoyed they got rid of Mario 35. I know it was supposed to be for last year's anniversary, but it could still exist alongside this and Tetris 99 etc.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
It's probably just me getting impatient to be honest! I'm still a bit annoyed they got rid of Mario 35. I know it was supposed to be for last year's anniversary, but it could still exist alongside this and Tetris 99 etc.
There's also a pacman game like these mentioned. On switch. For free.

Annoying about Mario 35 but that's Nintendo for you. Don't give a crap about what their customers want.